Jump to content

Baseball Trivia


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Btw my Dad is the event manager for the NY Baseball Writer's Dinner every January (where all the major awards + NYC baseball awards are presented).  I help him out a bit every year.  He had an idea to

I will play and do so without any search engine so I am probably wrong. 1. It was a catcher. Was the last name Chilcott? 2. I will go with the obvious -Seaver vs Steve Rogers

good ones ! I'm not going to answer both questions because we want more participants asking questions so I'll take the harder of the two and leave one for the next question answerer. Oh, and if n

Posted Images

3 hours ago, section314 said:

lefty from Brooklyn.....John Candelaria.

Guess on 3rd baseman.....Ed Brussard?

OF  Gotta be Lance Johnson again.

Bill Sudaikis

 Burt Hooten

 

Candelaria is correct

3Bman was the starter 1st 2 years at Shea ('64-65). Bressoud was an interesting guess though ('66 team)

OF is easy, not Lance Johnson again (hint: not all his teams were listed in the question)

Bill Sudakis is correct

Hooten nice guess but this guy pitched over 1,000 games so he was a reliever for most of his career. Played '52-72, 9 teams

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Met-NYY-Cub-ChiSox

David Aardsma

P: Dick ….

OF Lance Johnson @section314

3B: Charley ...

Met-NYY-Dodger-Angel

P: John Candelaria @section314

OF: Bobby

OF: 

3B: Bill Sudakis @section314

Cub-ChiSox-Angel-Dodger

OF: Jay

P: Hoyt

OF-3B-1B-DH: Tommy Davis

 

Dick Tidrow, Charley Smith,Bobby Abreau, Jay Johnstone, Hoyt Wilhelm

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Mets trivia for a lazy Sunday ...

 

1. Picher Bill Denehy was once a top Mets prospect. He didn't pan out and ended with a lifetime record of 1-10. He only pitched for the Mets part of one season, yet he played one of the most important roles in team history. What was it?

 

2. As we all know Luis Rojas' brother player for the Mets but naming him is toooo easy for you guys. So instead, name the MLB brother of each of these former Mets:

Wayne Garrett

Travis d'Arnaud

Pepe Mangual

Bob Aspromonte

Tom Glavine

Al Leiter

Marv Throneberry

Eddie Murray

Frank Lary

Dennis Bennett

Alex Trevino

Ken Boyer (other than Clete, there was a third)

Bobby Klaus

Darrell Sutherland

… or maybe the question should be , how many of these Mets do you actually remember?

OK, OK, stop complaining, at least I left out Leon Brown, Sammy Drake and Josias Manzanillo

Too easy? OK, the minor league player brothers for these former Mets:

Tug McGraw

Edgardo Alfonzo

Endy Chavez

Zack Wheeler (two of them)

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Mets trivia for a lazy Sunday ...

 

1. Picher Bill Denehy was once a top Mets prospect. He didn't pan out and ended with a lifetime record of 1-10. He only pitched for the Mets part of one season, yet he played one of the most important roles in team history. What was it?

 

2. As we all know Luis Rojas' brother player for the Mets but naming him is toooo easy for you guys. So instead, name the MLB brother of each of these former Mets:

Wayne Garrett

Travis d'Arnaud

Pepe Mangual

Bob Aspromonte

Tom Glavine

Al Leiter

Marv Throneberry

Eddie Murray

Frank Lary

Dennis Bennett

Alex Trevino

Ken Boyer (other than Clete, there was a third)

Bobby Klaus

Darrell Sutherland

… or maybe the question should be , how many of these Mets do you actually remember?

OK, OK, stop complaining, at least I left out Leon Brown, Sammy Drake and Josias Manzanillo

Too easy? OK, the minor league player brothers for these former Mets:

Tug McGraw

Edgardo Alfonzo

Endy Chavez

Zack Wheeler (two of them)

2) Some....Angel Mangual,Ken Aspromonte,Mark Leiter, Gary Sutherland.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

2. As we all know Luis Rojas' brother player for the Mets but naming him is toooo easy for you guys. So instead, name the MLB brother of each of these former Mets:

 

Tom Glavine

 

Mike Glavine.  Currently doing a great job as the Head Coach of the Northeastern Huskies.  Saw him play 1B for the Somerset Patriots as well.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, section314 said:

2) Some....Angel Mangual,Ken Aspromonte,Mark Leiter, Gary Sutherland.

 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Mike Glavine.  Currently doing a great job as the Head Coach of the Northeastern Huskies.  Saw him play 1B for the Somerset Patriots as well.

all correct of course

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

2. As we all know Luis Rojas' brother player for the Mets but naming him is toooo easy for you guys. So instead, name the MLB brother of each of these former Mets:

Too easy? OK, the minor league player brothers for these former Mets:

Edgardo Alfonzo

 

I'll take a stab here.  I saw an Eliezer (sp?) Alfonzo play for the NJ Cardinals minor league squad.  Always wondered if that was Edgardo's brother.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

I'll take a stab here.  I saw an Eliezer (sp?) Alfonzo play for the NJ Cardinals minor league squad.  Always wondered if that was Edgardo's brother.  

That's pretty good. Eliezer played in the majors in the 80's. Backup catcher for the Giants and some other teams.  Never heard him mentioned as a relative but he is also from Venezuela. 

Edgardo's older brother Edgar played for many years in the minors in the Angels(?) system and then managed in the Mets system for the early 2000's or so. Won a championship in Brooklyn along the way, which is why we remember him. He also coached in the Mets minor leagues and may still be coaching today in another organization. Another brother Roberto played for one year in the Mets system before becoming one of the Mets International scouts.  He is remembered for signing up Wilmer Flores. 

Edgardo also had a son drafted by the Mets a couple of years ago but I don't think he ever played pro ball.

Edgar had a son named Edgar, Jr who pitched in the Mets system for a bunch of years. Plus another son who played with the LI Ducks a couple of years ago (forgot his name, sorry)

Now that is a lot of Alfonzos (Alfonzi?)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

That's pretty good. Eliezer played in the majors in the 80's. Backup catcher for the Giants and some other teams.  Never heard him mentioned as a relative but he is also from Venezuela. 

Different Eliezer.  Apparently there's a bunch of them, lol.  The Eliezer I saw play was in the late 90s.  He made it to the bigs and played for the Giants, Padres, Mariners and Rockies from 2006-11:

 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/alfonel01.shtml

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2020 at 1:40 PM, The Crimson King said:

Mets trivia for a lazy Sunday ...

1. Picher Bill Denehy was once a top Mets prospect. He didn't pan out and ended with a lifetime record of 1-10. He only pitched for the Mets part of one season, yet he played one of the most important roles in team history. What was it?

Tsk tsk guys … He was the player the Mets traded to the Senators to get Gil Hodges as manager before the '68 season (insert stern look)

2. As we all know Luis Rojas' brother player for the Mets but naming him is toooo easy for you guys. So instead, name the MLB brother of each of these former Mets:

Wayne Garrett Adrian

Travis d'Arnaud Chase (still playing)

Pepe Mangual Angel @section314

Bob Aspromonte Ken @section314

Tom Glavine Mike @Jetsfan80

Al Leiter Mark @section314

Marv Throneberry Faye

Eddie Murray Rich

Frank Lary Al

Dennis Bennett Dave 

Alex Trevino Bobby

Ken Boyer (other than Clete, there was a third) Cloyd

Bobby Klaus Billy 

Darrell Sutherland Gary @section314

… or maybe the question should be , how many of these Mets do you actually remember?

OK, OK, stop complaining, at least I left out Leon Brown, Sammy Drake and Josias Manzanillo

Too easy? OK, the minor league player brothers for these former Mets:

Tug McGraw Hank

Edgardo Alfonzo see below

Endy Chavez Ender (Mets minor league coach) 

Zack Wheeler (two of them) Jacob and Adam

Ok, silly question but one when the game gets slow and folks start throwing them out, Always caused an argument. 

Is it common in Venezuela to have bothers with such similar names that it has to be confusing when you call them? (Edgardo and Edgar, Endy and Ender)  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...
19 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hey guys, I just created this quiz on Sporcle.com.  You pick the player based on Google suggestions for that player.  I mixed in pop culture references with baseball facts to make it fun.  It should be very easy for you guys.  

Enjoy!

 

https://www.sporcle.com/games/kps7179/pick-the-mlb-player-based-on-google-suggestions

69/70.  Only one I missed was Kevin Mitchell.  Giants, Mets, One Handed Catch.  Saw Giants, Mets and the reference to a catch and jumped the gun and selected Mays.  Willie's catch was two handed.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2020 at 3:33 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Hey guys, I just created this quiz on Sporcle.com.  You pick the player based on Google suggestions for that player.  I mixed in pop culture references with baseball facts to make it fun.  It should be very easy for you guys.  

Enjoy!

 

https://www.sporcle.com/games/kps7179/pick-the-mlb-player-based-on-google-suggestions

that was fun.

 

Might have gotten the Kevin Mitchell one wrong too if Lith didn't mention it

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...