Baseball Trivia

The Crimson King

3 hours ago, section314 said:

lefty from Brooklyn.....John Candelaria.

Guess on 3rd baseman.....Ed Brussard?

OF  Gotta be Lance Johnson again.

Bill Sudaikis

Burt Hooten

Candelaria is correct

3Bman was the starter 1st 2 years at Shea ('64-65). Bressoud was an interesting guess though ('66 team)

OF is easy, not Lance Johnson again (hint: not all his teams were listed in the question)

Bill Sudakis is correct

Hooten nice guess but this guy pitched over 1,000 games so he was a reliever for most of his career. Played '52-72, 9 teams

15 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Met-NYY-Cub-ChiSox

David Aardsma

P: Dick ….

OF Lance Johnson @section314

3B: Charley ...

Met-NYY-Dodger-Angel

P: John Candelaria @section314

OF: Bobby

OF: 

3B: Bill Sudakis @section314

Cub-ChiSox-Angel-Dodger

OF: Jay

P: Hoyt

OF-3B-1B-DH: Tommy Davis

Dick Tidrow, Charley Smith,Bobby Abreau, Jay Johnstone, Hoyt Wilhelm

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mets trivia for a lazy Sunday ...

1. Picher Bill Denehy was once a top Mets prospect. He didn't pan out and ended with a lifetime record of 1-10. He only pitched for the Mets part of one season, yet he played one of the most important roles in team history. What was it?

2. As we all know Luis Rojas' brother player for the Mets but naming him is toooo easy for you guys. So instead, name the MLB brother of each of these former Mets:

Wayne Garrett

Travis d'Arnaud

Pepe Mangual

Bob Aspromonte

Tom Glavine

Al Leiter

Marv Throneberry

Eddie Murray

Frank Lary

Dennis Bennett

Alex Trevino

Ken Boyer (other than Clete, there was a third)

Bobby Klaus

Darrell Sutherland

… or maybe the question should be , how many of these Mets do you actually remember?

OK, OK, stop complaining, at least I left out Leon Brown, Sammy Drake and Josias Manzanillo

Too easy? OK, the minor league player brothers for these former Mets:

Tug McGraw

Edgardo Alfonzo

Endy Chavez

Zack Wheeler (two of them)

20 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

1. Picher Bill Denehy was once a top Mets prospect. He didn't pan out and ended with a lifetime record of 1-10. He only pitched for the Mets part of one season, yet he played one of the most important roles in team history. What was it?

2. As we all know Luis Rojas' brother player for the Mets but naming him is toooo easy for you guys. So instead, name the MLB brother of each of these former Mets:

Wayne Garrett

Travis d'Arnaud

Pepe Mangual

Bob Aspromonte

Tom Glavine

Al Leiter

Marv Throneberry

Eddie Murray

Frank Lary

Dennis Bennett

Alex Trevino

Ken Boyer (other than Clete, there was a third)

Bobby Klaus

Darrell Sutherland

… or maybe the question should be , how many of these Mets do you actually remember?

OK, OK, stop complaining, at least I left out Leon Brown, Sammy Drake and Josias Manzanillo

Tug McGraw

Edgardo Alfonzo

Endy Chavez

Zack Wheeler (two of them)

2) Some....Angel Mangual,Ken Aspromonte,Mark Leiter, Gary Sutherland.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Tom Glavine

Mike Glavine.  Currently doing a great job as the Head Coach of the Northeastern Huskies.  Saw him play 1B for the Somerset Patriots as well.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Edgardo Alfonzo

I'll take a stab here.  I saw an Eliezer (sp?) Alfonzo play for the NJ Cardinals minor league squad.  Always wondered if that was Edgardo's brother.  

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll take a stab here.  I saw an Eliezer (sp?) Alfonzo play for the NJ Cardinals minor league squad.  Always wondered if that was Edgardo's brother.  

That's pretty good. Eliezer played in the majors in the 80's. Backup catcher for the Giants and some other teams.  Never heard him mentioned as a relative but he is also from Venezuela. 

Edgardo's older brother Edgar played for many years in the minors in the Angels(?) system and then managed in the Mets system for the early 2000's or so. Won a championship in Brooklyn along the way, which is why we remember him. He also coached in the Mets minor leagues and may still be coaching today in another organization. Another brother Roberto played for one year in the Mets system before becoming one of the Mets International scouts.  He is remembered for signing up Wilmer Flores. 

Edgardo also had a son drafted by the Mets a couple of years ago but I don't think he ever played pro ball.

Edgar had a son named Edgar, Jr who pitched in the Mets system for a bunch of years. Plus another son who played with the LI Ducks a couple of years ago (forgot his name, sorry)

Now that is a lot of Alfonzos (Alfonzi?)

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

That's pretty good. Eliezer played in the majors in the 80's. Backup catcher for the Giants and some other teams.  Never heard him mentioned as a relative but he is also from Venezuela. 

Different Eliezer.  Apparently there's a bunch of them, lol.  The Eliezer I saw play was in the late 90s.  He made it to the bigs and played for the Giants, Padres, Mariners and Rockies from 2006-11:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/alfonel01.shtml

• Upvote 1

On 3/1/2020 at 1:40 PM, The Crimson King said:

Tsk tsk guys … He was the player the Mets traded to the Senators to get Gil Hodges as manager before the '68 season (insert stern look)

Wayne Garrett Adrian

Travis d'Arnaud Chase (still playing)

Pepe Mangual Angel @section314

Bob Aspromonte Ken @section314

Tom Glavine Mike @Jetsfan80

Al Leiter Mark @section314

Marv Throneberry Faye

Eddie Murray Rich

Frank Lary Al

Dennis Bennett Dave 

Alex Trevino Bobby

Ken Boyer (other than Clete, there was a third) Cloyd

Bobby Klaus Billy 

Darrell Sutherland Gary @section314

Tug McGraw Hank

Edgardo Alfonzo see below

Endy Chavez Ender (Mets minor league coach) 

Zack Wheeler (two of them) Jacob and Adam

Ok, silly question but one when the game gets slow and folks start throwing them out, Always caused an argument. 

Is it common in Venezuela to have bothers with such similar names that it has to be confusing when you call them? (Edgardo and Edgar, Endy and Ender)  

• 4 months later...
19 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hey guys, I just created this quiz on Sporcle.com.  You pick the player based on Google suggestions for that player.  I mixed in pop culture references with baseball facts to make it fun.  It should be very easy for you guys.  

Enjoy!

https://www.sporcle.com/games/kps7179/pick-the-mlb-player-based-on-google-suggestions

69/70.  Only one I missed was Kevin Mitchell.  Giants, Mets, One Handed Catch.  Saw Giants, Mets and the reference to a catch and jumped the gun and selected Mays.  Willie's catch was two handed.   

• Sympathy 1

On 8/1/2020 at 3:33 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Hey guys, I just created this quiz on Sporcle.com.  You pick the player based on Google suggestions for that player.  I mixed in pop culture references with baseball facts to make it fun.  It should be very easy for you guys.  

Enjoy!

https://www.sporcle.com/games/kps7179/pick-the-mlb-player-based-on-google-suggestions

that was fun.

Might have gotten the Kevin Mitchell one wrong too if Lith didn't mention it

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

• 2 years later...

@section314 @The Crimson King @TuscanyTile2 @Lith @Scott Dierking and anyone else interested:

Got one for ya that I thought was a decent question:

Before Ed Kranepool took over the Mets' all-time hits lead in 1966 (then went on to spend the next 46 years either in the # 1 spot or trailing Cleon Jones for a few years in the early 70s):  Who was # 1 on the career Hits list as a Met?  Who was # 2?

*** WARNING:  Don't scroll further if you don't want to see the answer yet ***

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@section314 @The Crimson King @TuscanyTile2 @Lith @Scott Dierking and anyone else interested:

Got one for ya that I thought was a decent question:

Before Ed Kranepool took over the Mets' all-time hits lead in 1966 (then went on to spend the next 46 years either in the # 1 spot or trailing Cleon Jones for a few years in the early 70s):  Who was # 1 on the career Hits list as a Met?  Who was # 2?

I am going to guess Ron Hunt.  I don't think he was on the 62 roster, but I would guess he was either 1 or 2 on the list.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

17 hours ago, section314 said:

Game 4 1988 NLCS. We all remember Mike Scioscia’s 2 run homer off Doc in the 9th to tie the game. Who did Doc walk to lead off the inning? 

I read the article in the Post just yesterday. John Shelby. That was a dagger. Talk about taking the swagger out of a team that had uber swagger. Straight to the heart. 

• Post of the Week 1