Baseball Trivia

The Crimson King

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Got it. 

The 1901 Milwaukee Brewers also set a record in their first ever game.  They blew a 13-4 lead in the 9th inning of their first game against the Tigers.  I am pretty sure the 9 run lead is still the biggest 9th inning lead any team has ever lost.  Heck of a way to start a franchise.

Mets came really close last year in Washington. Think they blew an 8 run lead.

4 hours ago, section314 said:

Mets came really close last year in Washington. Think they blew an 8 run lead.

Brutal night. Early September (?), Up 10-4 going into the 9th, pen gives up a couple of runs and loads the bases. Diaz comes in and faces two batters who tattoo him. I think a three run homer ended it. Would have been a deGrom win too. 

Well at least they got Cano in that trade #-o

My favorite blown game story is the Jim Rooker one. For those not familiar, he was a former lefty pitcher who used to kill the Mets, later to become a color man for the Pirates. After Pittsburgh scored 10 runs to open a game in Philly (late 80's-early 90's), he said on the air that he'd walk home if the Bucs lost. Sure enough, the Phillies cam back and won the game. Rooker made good on his promise with a 300 mile charity walk after the season.

Only 85 days until opening day !

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2) Three different times in MLB history (1956, 1967, 1977), the Rookie of the Year winners in both leagues ended up in the Hall of Fame.  Name those three duos.  

'56 Aparicio & F Robby, '67 Seaver and Carew.  '77 Dawson and Murray (?)

5) Who hit the most career HR all-time against the Mets, with 60?

Pops Stargell by a lot. Also hit the first one at Shea

6) Only 2 hitters have recorded 12,000+ at-bats AND a .300+ career batting average.  Name them.  

I think only two had that many AB's: Rose and Aaron (Henry, not Tommie). Not sure if Aaron hit .300 lifetime, but Rose sure did so I'll go with those two

EXCELLENT questions !

Correct on all of these, well done!!

I’ll have to come up with some more soon!

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Good guesses but both incorrect!

9. I was thinking either Robinson or Pujols for #9.  If it isn't Robby, is Albert the guy?

And, for #1, 2nd guy after Babe to have consecutive 40 HR seasons.  I have 4 guys in mind, but gonna guess Babe's teammate.  Lou Gehrig.

9. I was thinking either Robinson or Pujols for #9.  If it isn't Robby, is Albert the guy?
And, for #1, 2nd guy after Babe to have consecutive 40 HR seasons.  I have 4 guys in mind, but gonna guess Babe's teammate.  Lou Gehrig.

Pujols is correct!

Lou did have back to back 40 HR seasons not long after the Babe, but he was not the 2nd to accomplish the feat.

UPDATE:  Of the 10 questions I asked on Page 1 of the thread, these 3 remain unanswered:

7) What pitcher had the most wins in the 2000s?

8 ) In 1980, this NL hitter recorded 578 at-bats but only struck out 18 times.  Who was he?

10) Only three players were named All-Stars in the 1930s, 1940s AND 1950s.  Name them.  

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

NL.  This hitter played for the following teams in his career (which spanned from 1928-1944):

• Phillies
  • Cubs
  • Pirates

He was inducted into the HOF in 1980.  

Gonna guess he did it as a Phillie, before Lou did it for Yanks. Chuck Klein? Sorry for all the guesses, but refuse to get help. Sort of like Macc drafting.?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, section314 said:

Thanks. These are great questions.  7) Verlander or C.C  8 Bill Madlock 10) Joe D, Stan Musial and Ted Williams.

Not Verlander/CC or Madlock!

DiMaggio is correct, but Musial and Ted Williams are not.  Stan made his debut in 1941.  Ted made his debut in 1939, but didn't make an All-Star team until 1940.  Great guesses!

Just now, Lith said:

@Jetsfan80 Which questions are still unanswered?

8 ) In 1980, this NL hitter recorded 578 at-bats but only struck out 18 times.  Who was he?

10) Only three players were named All-Stars in the 1930s, 1940s AND 1950s.  Name them.  

But @section314 just got one of the 3 answers for # 10, Joe DiMaggio. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, section314 said:

Thanks... My fault, thought the time frame was 2000-present, not the first decade. Curt Schilling the new guess.

My bad, I should have clarified from the start!  Nope, not Schilling!  He didn't make the top 10 for the decade.  

I'll do a question regarding the 2010s in the next batch.

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How about Bob Feller? Led the league in wins in all three decades (?)

Ted Williams? I think he played in 4 decades

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is a great question. Guesses OK?

Dave Cash, Tim Foli come to mind. I keep wanting to say Duane Kuiper but it's the wrong league

One thing for sure. we know it is not Dave Kingman

• Sympathy 1

This is a great question. Guesses OK?

Dave Cash, Tim Foli come to mind. I keep wanting to say Duane Kuiper but it's the wrong league

One thing for sure. we know it is not Dave Kingman

No to all of those, but all good guesses.

Guesses are always acceptable! I give my Dad unlimited guesses when I ask him questions like these. Only when I’ve given him hints and he still doesn’t get it, then asks for the answer, do I reveal it, lol.