Baseball Trivia

The Crimson King

1 hour ago, section314 said:

3) Frankie Frisch

Frankie Frisch !!!!

The Rams eat S**t !!!!

(sorry, it's required)

28 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree.  This one has me stumped.  I have no idea who might have gone 40-40 for the Nats in 06.  There are not a lot of 40-40 guys, so yeah, I think we are both gonna feel stupid when he tells us who it is.

yeah, me too. We know it's not Ryan Church

The Thralls surrender !

Do tell 

Here are a couple of new ones while we aiting on 80:

1. What HOF slugger (>500 HRs), also had a win as a starting pitcher, but is not named Babe Ruth?

2. There are 10 players who have won 4 WS titles without ever playing for the Yankees, 3 of them HOFers.  Can you name the 3 HOFers?

3. What player won the most batting titles without being elected to the HOF?

1 hour ago, Lith said:

1. What HOF slugger (>500 HRs), also had a win as a starting pitcher, but is not named Babe Ruth?

2. There are 10 players who have won 4 WS titles without ever playing for the Yankees, 3 of them HOFers.  Can you name the 3 HOFers?

These are great.Some early guesses.  2)Pie Traynor? 3) Shoeless Joe?1)Ernie Banks

I agree.  This one has me stumped.  I have no idea who might have gone 40-40 for the Nats in 06.  There are not a lot of 40-40 guys, so yeah, I think we are both gonna feel stupid when he tells us who it is.

I know...was trying to think about the 2006 Mets season, but barely even remember them playing the Nats. It's gonna be somebody like a Jason Wirth type of guy.

yeah, me too. We know it's not Ryan Church The Thralls surrender ! Do tell   

Answer: Alfonso Soriano 

46 HR for the Nats in ‘06. He also stole 41 bases that season, thus joining Canseco, Bonds and A-Rod as the only 40/40 club members.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Lith said:

1. I wanted to say Rocky Colavito but he was neither a hall of famer nor a 500 HR hitter, but they called Jimmie Dugan ,, uh ,,  I mean Foxx, the righthanded babe Ruth and he started a few games for the Phillies at the very end of his career so maybe he won one?

3. Bill Madlock won 3 or 4, he has got to be up there for this one

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

1. I wanted to say Rocky Colavito but he was neither a hall of famer nor a 500 HR hitter, but they called Jimmie Dugan ,, uh ,,  I mean Foxx, the righthanded babe Ruth and he started a few games for the Phillies at the very end of his career so maybe he won one?

3. Bill Madlock won 3 or 4, he has got to be up there for this one

1 & 3 are correct.

Jimmie Foxx started two games for the Phillies in 1945.  He was a pitcher in High School and always wanted a chance to pitch in the majors.  With a roster decimated due to the war, the Phils gave him that opportunity.  He pitched in 9 games that season, including two starts.  In his first start, he beat the Reds 4-2.

Bill Madlock won 4 batting titles.  2 for the Cubs in the 70s and 2 more with the Pirates in the 80s.

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Answer: Alfonso Soriano 

46 HR for the Nats in ‘06. He also stole 41 bases that season, thus joining Canseco, Bonds and A-Rod as the only 40/40 club members.

Forgot that he played for the Nats.  Remember him with the Yankees, Rangers and Cubs, but forgot that he had one or two seasons in Washington.  Great question.  Stumped us all.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Here's a couple to work on while we try to get @Lith last question.

1) Joe Cronnin (1932,33)  Dixie Walker(1945,46) Tommy Herr(1985) and Paul Molitor(1996) all had something in common in those seasons. What was it?

2) In the modern era, name the 3 pitchers with the most career 1 hitters.  Bonus...this pitcher, in 1988, tied the AL season record with 3 one hitters. Who is he?

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, section314 said:

1) Joe Cronnin (1932,33)  Dixie Walker(1945,46) Tommy Herr(1985) and Paul Molitor(1996) all had something in common in those seasons. What was it?

2) In the modern era, name the 3 pitchers with the most career 1 hitters.  Bonus...this pitcher, in 1988, tied the AL season record with 3 one hitters. Who is he?

2. Well Nolan Ryan and Bob Feller have the record so that's the easy two. I know who the other is, but only because of the clue year so I'll let others play

BTW: #1 is a GREAT trivia question. Used that one before myself. Can't think of a clue that won't give it away though. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

2. Well Nolan Ryan and Bob Feller have the record so that's the easy two. I know who the other is, but only because of the clue year so I'll let others play

BTW: #1 is a GREAT trivia question. Used that one before myself. Can't think of a clue that won't give it away though. 

Agreed. Was gonna comment on your comment, but it would probably give it away, too.?  Saw today Mets may be looking at Pillar again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

A few guesses based on the Dodgers 55-59-63-66 championships:

Sandy Koufax was on all those teams

Don Drysdale? I know he was on the '59, '63 and '65 Dodgers but was '55 or '56 his rookie year in Brooklyn?

Good guesses.  Koufax and Drysdale came close.  Koufax played in 4 Series, and Drysdale in 5.  But they both only won 3.  59, 63 & 65.  Question is players who have won 4 Series..

4 hours ago, section314 said:

First guess Lefty Grove.....Connie Mack's A's won a bunch.

Not Grove, but you are on the right track thinking of Connie Mack's A's.   One of the 3 HOF guys did play for Mack for 2 of his WS wins.  Plus a couple of non-HOFers with 4 rings also played for Mack.  Just remember, Mack managed for a long time.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

100 RBIs with less than 10 HRs?  I know Herr did it in 85.  Does not make sense though for Molitor as he generally hit for a bit more power.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just one left from the batch I posted:

5) The 2019 Astros became the 4th team in MLB history to win 3 straight World Series games yet still lose the series.  Can you name the 3 other teams that did it previously?  Answered partially correct by @section314 :  2001 Yankees

*** HINT ***

Hint for # 5:  In one of these World Series in question, Todd Worrell picked up 2 Saves.  In the other, 2 Saves were earned by Rick Aguilera.  Aguilera also earned a Win and was saddled with a Loss in the series.

46 minutes ago, Lith said:

100 RBIs with less than 10 HRs?  I know Herr did it in 85.  Does not make sense though for Molitor as he generally hit for a bit more power.

That is correct. When Cronin and Walker did it, it made sense. Herr and Molitor are pretty amazing as the game changed so much.

• Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, Lith said:

Good guesses.  Koufax and Drysdale came close.  Koufax played in 4 Series, and Drysdale in 5.  But they both only won 3.  59, 63 & 65.  Question is players who have won 4 Series..

Not Grove, but you are on the right track thinking of Connie Mack's A's.   One of the 3 HOF guys did play for Mack for 2 of his WS wins.  Plus a couple of non-HOFers with 4 rings also played for Mack.  Just remember, Mack managed for a long time.

Jimmy Foxx?

56 minutes ago, Lith said:

Jack Morris? Did he play for Toronto? Know he had them from Tigers and Twins.

3 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Bill Terry, George Kell and Luke Appling also did it among several others. Amazing stat, no?

It really is. Truly amazing. One guy I thought would be on this list was Tony Gwynn. But he batted 2nd many years . The year Herr did it, he had 39 doubles. Wonder how many runs Vince Coleman scores that year. That Sc**bag?.Even in trivia threads Mets fans don’t forget.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Well that clue gives away Eddie Collins :)

He also won one in the Eastern League as player-manager for the Albany Senators after his long MLB career (Dad grew up as an fan pf that team and still tells stories about it today)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

It really is. Truly amazing. One guy I thought would be on this list was Tony Gwynn. But he batted 2nd many years . The year Herr did it, he had 39 doubles. Wonder how many runs Vince Coleman scores that year. That Sc**bag?.Even in trivia threads Mets fans don’t forget.

You can't blame Herr for the Mets not winning in '85. They finished 3 games out and that Gooden fellow went 24-4, so if he didn't blow those 4 games ...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Just occurred to me that the aforementioned Frankie Frisch may be one. I was trying to think of Cardinals from the 30's when I remembered that Frisch was also with the early Giants who won some.

Doesn't mean that Rams don't eat S**t though :)

30 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Well that clue gives away Eddie Collins :)

He also won one in the Eastern League as player-manager for the Albany Senators after his long MLB career (Dad grew up as an fan pf that team and still tells stories about it today)

Correct on both.  Collins won 3 series with the A's and 1 with the White Sox.  Might have had 5 if it wasn't for the Black Sox.

Frisch went to 8 Series; 4 each with the Giants and Cardinals.  Going 2-2 with each team. 

One more guy left.  The only guy on the list to win all 4 with the same team.

41 minutes ago, section314 said:

Jack Morris? Did he play for Toronto? Know he had them from Tigers and Twins.

nope.  Not Morris.  He won 3.  One each with the Tigers, Twins and Blue Jays.  But speaking of Morris, his Twins team came back to beat the Braves in '91. 

@Jetsfan80, was that '91 Braves team one of the WS losers who won 3 straight?

• Sympathy 1