Baseball Trivia

The Crimson King

47 minutes ago, section314 said:

That is correct. When Cronin and Walker did it, it made sense. Herr and Molitor are pretty amazing as the game changed so much.

Remembered that it was kinda a big deal when Herr did it in '85.  That was what gave it away to me.  Hated that '85 Cards team, tailor made for the stadiun they played in, that ridiculously fast carpet at Busch.  Bunch of fast singles hitters: Mcgee, Coleman, Herr, Smith who generated a lot of runs without power.

And could this be the other team to win 3 straight but lose a Series?

51 minutes ago, Lith said:

nope.  Not Morris.  He won 3.  One each with the Tigers, Twins and Blue Jays.  But speaking of Morris, his Twins team came back to beat the Braves in '91. 

@Jetsfan80, was that '91 Braves team one of the WS losers who won 3 straight?

I’m guessing another old timer? How about Christy Mattheson or Bill Terry?

3 hours ago, Lith said:

You are in the right era.  Won all 4 for the same team.  He is a HOFer, but not someone who immediately comes to mind when you think of all-time greats.

well that narrows it down to teams. The early Red Sox come to mind. Ruth won 3 with them and they might a have won another around then. so Tris Speaker or Smokey Joe Wood?

EDIT: Can't be Speaker, doesn't fit the clue. Wood, I'm not even sure about the HOF but Shoeless Joe did bring him out to Ray Kinsella's for for the games. Betcha Terrance Mann knows the answer to this question. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

well that narrows it down to teams. The early Red Sox come to mind. Ruth won 3 with them and they might a have won another around then. so Tris Speaker or Smokey Joe Wood?

EDIT: Can't be Speaker, doesn't fit the clue. Wood, I'm not even sure about the HOF but Shoeless Joe did bring him out to Ray Kinsella's for for the games. Betcha Terrance Mann knows the answer to this question. 

Neither Speaker nor Wood.  Speaker won 3 Series, but with 2 teams, Sox and Indians.  Wood is not a HOFer.  There are 7 non-HOFers to have won 4 Series without playing for Yankees.  Wood is not one of them.  Some of them are so obscure that I limited the question to the 3 HOFers. 

Bonus points if you get any of the non-HOFers.

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Neither Speaker nor Wood.  Speaker won 3 Series, but with 2 teams, Sox and Indians.  Wood is not a HOFer.  There are 7 non-HOFers to have won 4 Series without playing for Yankees.  Wood is not one of them.  Some of them are so obscure that I limited the question to the 3 HOFers. 

Bonus points if you get any of the non-HOFers.

Ooo, that;s tough. 4 of them?

Jim Gilliam was definitely one from all those Dodger teams I mentioned before

• Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Ooo, that;s tough. 4 of them?

Jim Gilliam was definitely one from all those Dodger teams I mentioned before

Correct.  Gilliam is one of the non-HOFers; he is the only guy to have played for all 4 Dodger Champs -- another great trivia question in its own right.  55, 59, 63 & 65.

Johnny Podres was on all 4 teams too but he did not play in the 65 Series and is not considered a 4x WS Champ. 

10 total players.  3 HOFers and 7 non-HOFers.  So far we have gotten Frisch & Collins, 2 of the 3 HOFers.  And Gilliam, 1 of the non-HOFers.  

Hint.  3 of the non HOF players were teammates of Eddie Collins.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Correct.  Gilliam is one of the non-HOFers; he is the only guy to have played for all 4 Dodger Champs -- another great trivia question in its own right.  55, 59, 63 & 65.

Johnny Podres was on all 4 teams too but he did not play in the 65 Series and is not considered a 4x WS Champ. 

10 total players.  3 HOFers and 7 non-HOFers.  So far we have gotten Frisch & Collins, 2 of the 3 HOFers.  And Gilliam, 1 of the non-HOFers.  

Hint.  3 of the non HOF players were teammates of Eddie Collins.

This is a lot of fun

So Eddie Collins teammates. All I can think of for the A's is Chief Bender, Home Run Baker and Eddie Plank but they are all Hall of Famers unless you are talking Albany Senators (Ralph Kiner was one, I think, gotta ask Dad)

Any way to give clues?

30 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

This is a lot of fun

So Eddie Collins teammates. All I can think of for the A's is Chief Bender, Home Run Baker and Eddie Plank but they are all Hall of Famers unless you are talking Albany Senators (Ralph Kiner was one, I think, gotta ask Dad)

Any way to give clues?

Not easy to give hints about guys who played over 100 years ago, but here goes.  2 of them, with Collins and Baker formed the A's famed "$100,000 Infield" that led the team to 4 straight Series apperances, winning 3.  They both won thier 4th Series with the same team, but a few years apart, where they were teammates with the 3rd HOFer that has not been guessed yet.

The 3rd guy is pretty obscure, played centerfield -- guy known more for his defense.  He is the one the end with his foot on the dugout step.  Recognize him?

philadelphia-athletics-1914-granger.jpg

58 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not easy to give hints about guys who played over 100 years ago, but here goes.  2 of them, with Collins and Baker formed the A's famed "$100,000 Infield" that led the team to 4 straight Series apperances, winning 3.  They both won thier 4th Series with the same team, but a few years apart, where they were teammates with the 3rd HOFer that has not been guessed yet.

The 3rd guy is pretty obscure, played centerfield -- guy known more for his defense.  He is the one the end with his foot on the dugout step.  Recognize him?

philadelphia-athletics-1914-granger.jpg

I am not often speechless but you found a picture of these guys !?!?!?

After Baker and Collins, I'm lost but I am sure JF80 or Sect 314 knows :)

I mean, just WOW. Of course we know that of the 6 players, that's Scott Caan on the far left next to Sean Penn , next to Mr. Crandall, my elementary school gym teacher, then Jon Matlack, then Mr. Crandalls's better looking brother but the guy with the foot on the steps ????   

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

I mean, just WOW. Of course we know that of the 6 players, that's Scott Caan on the far left next to Sean Penn , next to Mr. Crandall, my elementary school gym teacher, then Jon Matlack, then Mr. Crandalls's better looking brother but the guy with the foot on the steps ????   

No shot with me. This thread is so much fun, though. You know what would be pretty neat? Would obviously take a bunch of planning, but maybe someday, if the stars align, all of us could meet up in Cooperstown. Problem is, if that happens, I don't think any of us would want to leave.?

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Casey Stengel? Really reaching now.

Saw some interesting tidbits on the MLB email this AM, which leads to a couple new questions. Apologize if you guys have seen it.

1) 128 players in MLB history have already achieved this. This coming season, Dee Gordon is poised to become the 129th. What is it?

2) Albert Pujols holds the career record for grounding into DP's, with 395. However, he is poised to enter into the top 5 of another category this year, one in which the 5 guys who have already done it are HOFers. What is it?

OK.  Last set of hints on the 4x WS Champs.

- Remining Hall of Famer played for the Red Sox and was on all 4 Sox WS Champions in the 1910s.  He is a very low tier HOFer, does not come immediately to mind when you think of greats.  Inducted 1971.  Need to dig deep to remember him.  He is also the firstmajor leaguer to lead off both games of a doubleheader with home runs.  Played alongside Tris Speaker until Speaker was traded to Cleveland.

- 3 of the non Hofers played for the A's in Philly.  Teammates of Eddie Collins & Home Run Baker on the A's teams that won the Series in 11,13 & 14.  All 3 were traded to the Red Sox and were teammates of the unnamed HOFer above when they won their 4th.

- Another one of the non HOFers also played for the A's in a different city and he was a WS MVP.

- Another guy was an average relief pitcher who won two series each with Toronto and Boston.

- Last guy was an infielder on 3 of the 4 Sox teams as the HOFer that has not yet been guessed.  He won his 4th with Cleveland.

3 hours ago, section314 said:

No shot with me. This thread is so much fun, though. You know what would be pretty neat? Would obviously take a bunch of planning, but maybe someday, if the stars align, all of us could meet up in Cooperstown. Problem is, if that happens, I don't think any of us would want to leave.?

Saturday at Cooperstown and a Sunday at MetLife in the fall.  I might be able to get behind something like that.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

OK.  Last set of hints on the 4x WS Champs.

- Remining Hall of Famer played for the Red Sox and was on all 4 Sox WS Champions in the 1910s.  He is a very low tier HOFer, does not come immediately to mind when you think of greats.  Inducted 1971.  Need to dig deep to remember this guy.  He is also the firstmajor leaguer to lead off both games of a doubleheader with home runs.  Played alongside Tris Speaker until Speaker was traded to Cleveland.

- 3 of the non Hofers played for the A's in Philly.  Teammates of Eddie Collins & Home Run Baker on the A's teams that won the Series in 11,13 & 14.  All 3 were traded to the Red Sox and were teammates of the unnamed HOFer above when they won their 4th.

- Another one of the non HOFers also played for the A's in a different city and he was a WS MVP.

- Another guy was an average relief pitcher who won two series each with Toronto and Boston.

- Last guy was an infielder on 3 of the 4 Sox teams as the HOFer that has not yet been guessed.  He won his 4th with Cleveland.

Gene Tenace...1972 vs Reds?

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Gene Tenace...1972 vs Reds?

Gene Tenace is correct.  Was on all 3 A's Champs from 72-74 and won his 4th with the Cards in '82.  4 HRs and 9RBI in that '72 Series and then had 0 HR and 5 RBI in 8 other post-season Series combined.  But without him in 72, the A's don't win 3 straight.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Saw some interesting tidbits on the MLB email this AM, which leads to a couple new questions. Apologize if you guys have seen it.

1) 128 players in MLB history have already achieved this. This coming season, Dee Gordon is poised to become the 129th. What is it?

2) Albert Pujols holds the career record for grounding into DP's, with 395. However, he is poised to enter into the top 5 of another category this year, one in which the 5 guys who have already done it are HOFers. What is it?

Dee Gordon is tough.  For Pujols, I am going to guess sac flies.

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Gene Tenace is correct.  Was on all 3 A's Champs from 72-74 and won his 4th with the Cards in '82.  4 HRs and 9RBI in that '72 Series and then had 0 HR and 5 RBI in 8 other post-season Series combined.  But without him in 72, the A's don't win 3 straight.

I seem to remember him hitting a HR early in game#1 to kind of let the Reds know that they were there. You talk about maybe the most underrated great team ever, those 71-75 A's fit the bill. Never got over my Mets losing games 6& 7 to them in 73. Took me years to get over that. As I got older, I truly began to realize and accept just how great that A's team was. Took most of the sting out, but not all.?

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Dee Gordon is tough.  For Pujols, I am going to guess sac flies.

Correct. It's scary how great a career he's had. One of the highlight's of last year for me was his first AB back in St.Louis, when he was announced and Molina went out in front of the plate for about 1 minute and was doing some grounds keeping, so he could get the ovation he so truly deserved. And then they embraced one another. As good as it gets. And to top it off, he sent the CF back to the fence! That would have brought down the house.

• Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, section314 said:

I seem to remember him hitting a HR early in game#1 to kind of let the Reds know that they were there. You talk about maybe the most underrated great team ever, those 71-75 A's fit the bill. Never got over my Mets losing games 6& 7 to them in 73. Took me years to get over that. As I got older, I truly began to realize and accept just how great that A's team was. Took most of the sting out, but not all.?

That was tough.  Remember it well enough to know that I thought we had no chance after game 1 when Ken Holtzman came through with a big two out hit after not batting all season -- pretty sure that was either the first or second season of the DH.  Then we battled back and made it a good series, but the better team won.  And we made it to the Series despite two of the worst trades in franchise history in the couple of years leading up to it.  If we could have had Amos Otis in CF and Nolan Ryan in a rotation with Seaver, Matlack and Koosman, might have made the difference.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, section314 said:

Nothing family related. Here's a hint.......it's something that Jerry Grote was very good at.

wow. Never excepted that hmm  let's see …  I would have thought it was calling pitches or throwing out base stealers, but that can't be it ...

Rolling the ball as far away from the mound after a 3rd out K so the opposing pitcher would have to walk the furthest?

Being nasty to reporters?

Getting traded for Tom Parsons?

Pronouncing the E at the end of his name rather than keeping it silent?

Owning a ranch? 

Catching a no-hitter in a loss (Ken Johnson, right?)

Having the letters G,O and R in their last name?

Intriguing clue 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

wow. Never excepted that hmm  let's see …  I would have thought it was calling pitches or throwing out base stealers, but that can't be it ...

Rolling the ball as far away from the mound after a 3rd out K so the opposing pitcher would have to walk the furthest?

Being nasty to reporters?

Getting traded for Tom Parsons?

Pronouncing the E at the end of his name rather than keeping it silent?

Owning a ranch? 

Catching a no-hitter in a loss (Ken Johnson, right?)

Having the letters G,O and R in their last name?

Intriguing clue 

One final hint ......100 or more.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Nothing family related. Here's a hint.......it's something that Jerry Grote was very good at.

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

One final hint ......100 or more.

I am stumped.  All of the things I was thinking of Gordon for do not seem to be a fit for Grote.  Sac bunts, bunt hits, triples, stolen bases.  None of that fits Grote.  Even defensive numbers do not compare for a catcher and 2B.

I have no idea.

27 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am stumped.  All of the things I was thinking of Gordon for do not seem to be a fit for Grote.  Sac bunts, bunt hits, triples, stolen bases.  None of that fits Grote.  Even defensive numbers do not compare for a catcher and 2B.

I have no idea.

Getting closer. ?