Jump to content
Rhg1084

Robby to command $13-$15m APY

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Both signed by Macc, not Douglas.  That's pretty irrelevant.  

Not in that Anderson won’t take less.  We can certainly offer less.  I’d be shocked if he doesn’t get over 10.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At $10M I'm OK with Anderson.  At $13M, I'm going to take a real hard look at what else is out there

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Not in that Anderson won’t take less.  We can certainly offer less.  I’d be shocked if he doesn’t get over 10.

Agreed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know who’s likely going to be available this offseason in a fire sale and makes an average of $14 mil per?

odell beckham jr dancing GIF

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dunnie said:

A bad decision to pay Enunwa by another GM doesn't mean you make another bad decision to pay a jag receiver the same sheeeesh ... Plus ... Had Q remained healthy he would have decimated Jack Skellington's production.

 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Woulda coulda shoulda....but didn't.

Face fact: Robbie's value in today's market with his production is in the $7-10 million a year range.

Just because you guys think he sucks, doesn't make it so. 

I never said the Jets should spend the money, especially at the higher end.  But the reality is, his production and deep zone threat will get him paid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As always, Macc chose the wrong guy.  He should have given Robby the money that went to Q.  Too late now!

Macc making another big mistake, in other news water is wet and the sky is blue 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2019 at 1:15 PM, Butterfield said:

Maybe they will transition tag him.  The # is about $12-13 million.  Could match any offer.

In all seriousness what is the likelihood that they franchise him. What is the franchise number for WR's this season?  We haven't had anyone to Franchise in forever. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

In all seriousness what is the likelihood that they franchise him. What is the franchise number for WR's this season?  We haven't had anyone to Franchise in forever. 

Zero. Tag is almost $19 mil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RobR said:

Zero. Tag is almost $19 mil.

Zero indeed. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RobR said:

Zero. Tag is almost $19 mil.

Yep

And here's what Anderson's agent is thinking.  He knows he can't throw Anderson out there as an "elite"  WR.  He'll push the next tier, $13-15M.  Sign for $11-12M.

Question becomes, not do you want Anderson on the Jets, but do you want to pay $12M?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NFL teams see the film and know he can’t carry a WR corp as a #1. No team is gonna pay him that to come in and be the #1. That said, a team that has a solid core in place, a good QB with an arm, and a need for a receiver who can take the top off the D might just overpay thinking RA could be that final piece. DAL maybe?


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You know who’s likely going to be available this offseason in a fire sale and makes an average of $14 mil per?

odell beckham jr dancing GIF

OBJ and Gase, the models of physiological stability. Do it I was to see the World burn... 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he prices himself out I could easily see us going other places. But my guess is Douglss has a limit on every position group that he won't go over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had Q remained healthy he would have decimated Jack Skellington's production.

guys played 30 games in 5 years,,,,  5 tds in 5 yrs...

 

ur off ur meds, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2019 at 12:22 PM, Warfish said:

Excellent.

Trade Adams for a #1 and #3.  Trade Bell for BAPick.

We go into the draft with at least 2x #1's, a #2 and 4x #3's (incld. the Comp Pick).

Thats 6 early picks.  Maybe more if we get a good offer for Bell.

The comp would he for 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how does this make sense when davante adams' average salary is 14.5 mil??

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

how does this make sense when davante adams' average salary is 14.5 mil??

Because the free agent market at WR this year is horrible 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

So what is a fair offer?

and

How do we replace ?

 

Good question.

 

Draft Lamb at 11.

 

Then trade Adams for a first round pick and use that on Andrew Thomas or Tristan Wirfs

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Good question.

 

Draft Lamb at 11.

 

Then trade Adams for a first round pick and use that on Andrew Thomas or Tristan Wirfs

 

 

We’ll be lucky if Thomas or Wirfs are available at 11, let alone drafting someone else and getting a 1st for Adams 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, heymangold said:

We’ll be lucky if Thomas or Wirfs are available at 11, let alone drafting someone else and getting a 1st for Adams 

Thomas won’t make it to 11.  Wirfs will and probably go deeper because he didn’t play LT in college 

 

And Dallas offered us a 1st and a 3rd for Adams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Thomas won’t make it to 11.  Wirfs will and probably go deeper because he didn’t play LT in college 

 

And Dallas offered us a 1st and a 3rd for Adams

Wirfs is the 2nd best, arguably best, tackle available in the draft.  Latest CBS mock has him going 10, Thomas going before that.  All this being said, I agree to let Robby go and draft Jeudy or Lamb at 11

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, heymangold said:

Wirfs is the 2nd best, arguably best, tackle available in the draft.  Latest CBS mock has him going 10, Thomas going before that.  All this being said, I agree to let Robby go and draft Jeudy or Lamb at 11

If Wirfs is projected at 10 is it outrageous to think he’s available at 11

 

It’s so obvious we need to trade Adams to get that second 1st round pick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2019 at 8:41 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

A big assumption considering we need 4 new OL, CBs, EDGE, etc.

the fa market is pretty shabby for those positions tho

Everyone wants Scherff that dude is injured ended the last 2 seasons on IR 

edge? it's not like Shaq Barrett is making it to the market 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2020 at 11:23 AM, heymangold said:

Wirfs is the 2nd best, arguably best, tackle available in the draft.  Latest CBS mock has him going 10, Thomas going before that.  All this being said, I agree to let Robby go and draft Jeudy or Lamb at 11

 

13 hours ago, Philc1 said:

If Wirfs is projected at 10 is it outrageous to think he’s available at 11

 

It’s so obvious we need to trade Adams to get that second 1st round pick

by the time it's Draft Wirfs is a top 3 pick. There could be 3 OT off the board by 11, and if that's the case, the Jets would be dumb to make it 4 or reach for a center

not to sound like mac but there is such a thing as value. If it played out that way the value would likely be at CB or WR 

other than Young it's a crappy edge year at the top end 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the fa market is pretty shabby for those positions tho

Everyone wants Scherff that dude is injured ended the last 2 seasons on IR 

edge? it's not like Shaq Barrett is making it to the market 

To beat a dead horse, that's what makes last years #1 pick indefensible. On any level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, section314 said:

To beat a dead horse, that's what makes last years #1 pick indefensible. On any level.

I'll defend it 

first off most of the losers around here wanted Jonah Williams. And still defend their thinking

THATS indefensible 

the only other good pick was Josh Allen at 8 overall? He got what... 10 sacks? 

Have you seen the Jacksonville Defense? They are atrocious. Allen's 10, while welcome. are the weakest Johnny Abe 4 sacks in a half stat padding sacks you've ever seen. 

Put it another way Jenkins got 8. 

the JETS D was way tougher and Q was part of it 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'll defend it 

first off most of the losers around here wanted Jonah Williams. And still defend their thinking

THATS indefensible 

the only other good pick was Josh Allen at 8 overall? He got what... 10 sacks? 

Have you seen the Jacksonville Defense? They are atrocious. Allen's 10, while welcome. are the weakest Johnny Abe 4 sacks in a half stat padding sacks you've ever seen. 

Put it another way Jenkins got 8. 

the JETS D was way tougher and Q was part of it 

 

Totally disagree. He was the last thing this team needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the fa market is pretty shabby for those positions tho

Everyone wants Scherff that dude is injured ended the last 2 seasons on IR 

edge? it's not like Shaq Barrett is making it to the market 

Sure.  But you have to figure we're going to overpay at ONE of those positions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2020 at 1:16 PM, bitonti said:

 

by the time it's Draft Wirfs is a top 3 pick. There could be 3 OT off the board by 11, and if that's the case, the Jets would be dumb to make it 4 or reach for a center

not to sound like mac but there is such a thing as value. If it played out that way the value would likely be at CB or WR 

other than Young it's a crappy edge year at the top end 

 

No way all top three OTs are off the board by 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2020 at 9:30 AM, neckdemon said:

how does this make sense when davante adams' average salary is 14.5 mil??

That’s 2016/2017 market value.  The cap was almost $30 million dollars less than it will be in 2020.  A better comp is to look at a guy like Will Fuller who could be playing 2020 on his 5th year option at $10 million dollars.  Comparable players in skill sets and roles.  Fuller has been WAY more injury prone than Robby though.  I could actually see Houston cutting Fuller and signing Robby, he would play well off of Hopkins and be in the role that best suits him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not enough to say "don't want" Robby. Who then? Or do we want to leave $30M in cap space so Woody can buy another yacht?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2019 at 11:58 AM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

lol at Connor Hughes

People dog Manish, for good reason, but Hughes is just as bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jgb said:

It's not enough to say "don't want" Robby. Who then? Or do we want to leave $30M in cap space so Woody can buy another yacht?

With or without maxing out the cap spend, since it's not a matter of saving Woody any money, the obvious question is, "OK, then who?"

Right now here are the WRs the Jets have under contract for 2020:

  1. Crowder (solid slot receiver)
  2. Enunwa (may never play again, and if he does it'll be for about 5 minutes)
  3. Bellamy
  4. Berrios
  5. V.Smith

Narrow that list to legit starter-level WRs who can be penciled in for 15+ starts, and it's:

  1. Crowder

It's convenient to say what Anderson isn't worth, and when compared to his peers' contracts no he isn't worth the numbers his agent is throwing around (though most of these comparisons are using older contracts, or even those still under rookie contracts). Unfortunately the 2020 Jets don't live in an auction fantasy football league, where every WR is available to every team owner, and we can just pick the ones who show the best $/yard or $/catch a month-plus before the draft. 

Even if he does manage to secure a $14MM/year deal for himself - I still think his target number is $12MM - Anderson isn't getting 2-3 years guaranteed (like Bell got). His closest comp is Williams on Oakland, who got $11MM/yr in 2019, but with just 1 season guaranteed for skill, and after that it's annual team options. 

So he's worth $10MM/year but not $12MM (or $13MM) per year. We waited all this time to draft a top QB prospect, and now people are happy to leave him shorthanded over a one-year overpayment of $2-3MM (while the young FQB is making $30MM below FQB market value himself). 

I don't see this as a value contract. Rather, it's a one year $2-3MM tax (~1% of one year's salary cap) for past GM stupidity and shortsightedness. Still draft a WR this year. Hey, still draft two of them, and go back to that well again next year. But don't send Darnold into year 3 with WR excuses of having just Crowder and a rookie WR who - if history is any indicator - in year 1 is unlikely to match Anderson's 2019 yardage numbers even if he's a keeper. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robbie is a good complimentary WR. The problem is the NFL is loaded with good WR and there are more coming out every year. It's not like the old days when WR got killed and elite speed athletes avoided the NFL like it was a plague. It's not that long ago that it was hard to get a high quality WR beyond the 1st round of the draft. Those days are over.

Hollywood Brown will make about 2 million next year which includes his pro-rated bonus. Robbie is a nice WR. What's amazing is how staked the NFL is in WR talent production and how badly Robbie stacks up in it.  

He's 20th in yards per catch. Not bad.
45 in total yards. Not bad
63 in total catches. Not bad
44th in targets. Not bad
180 in catch percentage.  

This year in the NFL 29 WR had 1000 yards. 34 had over 900 yards.  Granted Robbie has a lot of excuses for his comparative lack of production.  Still, there needs to be a little perspective about how good the average NFL WR is today and where Robbie actually ranks.

I think it would be insane to pay him more than John Brown got last year from the Bills.  Brown is miles better than Robbie when he has been healthy.  Here's what Browns contract with the Bills looks like:

  • 2019 Salary Cap Charge: $7,500,000
  • % of 2019 Team Cap: 3.76%
  • 2019 Cash Payout: $10,700,000
  • % of 2019 Team Cash Spending: 5.99%
  • 2019 Cash to Cap Ratio: 1.43
  • Total Contract Value: $27,000,000
  • Annual Contract Value: $9,000,000
  • Position Ranking: 31/311 at WR
  • Fully Guaranteed Money: $10,100,000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...