Robby to command $13-$15m APY

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

With or without maxing out the cap spend, since it's not a matter of saving Woody any money, the obvious question is, "OK, then who?"

Right now here are the WRs the Jets have under contract for 2020:

1. Crowder (solid slot receiver)
  2. Enunwa (may never play again, and if he does it'll be for about 5 minutes)
  3. Bellamy
  4. Berrios
  5. V.Smith

Narrow that list to legit starter-level WRs who can be penciled in for 15+ starts, and it's:

1. Crowder

It's convenient to say what Anderson isn't worth, and when compared to his peers' contracts no he isn't worth the numbers his agent is throwing around (though most of these comparisons are using older contracts, or even those still under rookie contracts). Unfortunately the 2020 Jets don't live in an auction fantasy football league, where every WR is available to every team owner, and we can just pick the ones who show the best $/yard or $/catch a month-plus before the draft. 

Even if he does manage to secure a $14MM/year deal for himself - I still think his target number is $12MM - Anderson isn't getting 2-3 years guaranteed (like Bell got). His closest comp is Williams on Oakland, who got $11MM/yr in 2019, but with just 1 season guaranteed for skill, and after that it's annual team options. 

So he's worth $10MM/year but not $12MM (or $13MM) per year. We waited all this time to draft a top QB prospect, and now people are happy to leave him shorthanded over a one-year overpayment of $2-3MM (while the young FQB is making $30MM below FQB market value himself). 

I don't see this as a value contract. Rather, it's a one year $2-3MM tax (~1% of one year's salary cap) for past GM stupidity and shortsightedness. Still draft a WR this year. Hey, still draft two of them, and go back to that well again next year. But don't send Darnold into year 3 with WR excuses of having just Crowder and a rookie WR who - if history is any indicator - in year 1 is unlikely to match Anderson's 2019 yardage numbers even if he's a keeper. 

Exactly we’ll said

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

With or without maxing out the cap spend, since it's not a matter of saving Woody any money, the obvious question is, "OK, then who?"

Right now here are the WRs the Jets have under contract for 2020:

1. Crowder (solid slot receiver)
  2. Enunwa (may never play again, and if he does it'll be for about 5 minutes)
  3. Bellamy
  4. Berrios
  5. V.Smith

Narrow that list to legit starter-level WRs who can be penciled in for 15+ starts, and it's:

1. Crowder

It's convenient to say what Anderson isn't worth, and when compared to his peers' contracts no he isn't worth the numbers his agent is throwing around (though most of these comparisons are using older contracts, or even those still under rookie contracts). Unfortunately the 2020 Jets don't live in an auction fantasy football league, where every WR is available to every team owner, and we can just pick the ones who show the best $/yard or $/catch a month-plus before the draft. 

Even if he does manage to secure a $14MM/year deal for himself - I still think his target number is $12MM - Anderson isn't getting 2-3 years guaranteed (like Bell got). His closest comp is Williams on Oakland, who got $11MM/yr in 2019, but with just 1 season guaranteed for skill, and after that it's annual team options. 

So he's worth $10MM/year but not $12MM (or $13MM) per year. We waited all this time to draft a top QB prospect, and now people are happy to leave him shorthanded over a one-year overpayment of $2-3MM (while the young FQB is making $30MM below FQB market value himself). 

I don't see this as a value contract. Rather, it's a one year $2-3MM tax (~1% of one year's salary cap) for past GM stupidity and shortsightedness. Still draft a WR this year. Hey, still draft two of them, and go back to that well again next year. But don't send Darnold into year 3 with WR excuses of having just Crowder and a rookie WR who - if history is any indicator - in year 1 is unlikely to match Anderson's 2019 yardage numbers even if he's a keeper. 

We don't HAVE to pay someone because of a lack of a talent.  That's how you end up with bigger problems down the road.  We'd be handing low end WR1 money to a low end WR2.  

This is a talent-rich WR class.  Focus on improving the WR corps with young, talented, cheap options.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is a talent-rich WR class.  Focus on improving the WR corps with young, talented, cheap options.  

This is theoretically the right answer, but the Jets need to draft to fill basically the rest of the roster.  Anyone they sign in FA to fill a need will be overpaid.,  The question is who to overpay in second contracts in FA (players likely to dog it or get injured) and who to draft. 

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

This is theoretically the right answer, but the Jets need to draft to fill basically the rest of the roster.  Anyone they sign in FA to fill a need will be overpaid.,  The question is who to overpay in second contracts in FA (players likely to dog it or get injured) and who to draft. 

Pay Jordan Jenkins, Brian Poole, Demaryius Thomas, Alex Lewis, Rontez Miles, Neville Hewitt, and Lac Edwards.  Possibly Kelvin Beachum, Bilal Powell, James Burgess and Brandon Copeland.

Let go of Robby and maybe play the UFA game to where we get a compensatory pick.  

Trade Jamal.  Get multiple WR and OL in the draft.  Load up on UDFA's.

Profit.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We don't HAVE to pay someone because of a lack of a talent.  That's how you end up with bigger problems down the road.  We'd be handing low end WR1 money to a low end WR2.  

This is just wrong for multiple reasons.

First, $12MM is not low-end WR1 money, and hasn’t been for years. It’s high end WR2-3 money on a $200MM cap in 2020. Freaking Adam Humphries got $12MM fully guaranteed. 

Second, a rookie is unlikely to have the impact of a veteran WR. There are very few who eclipse 800 yards, and still fewer that could do so as deep threat WRs on the receiving end of a QB with limited time to let a play unfold (never mind fielding a non-NFL level starter at QB for a few games). Most drafted WRs take 2-3 seasons before they become siginificant weapons, and that’s if they don’t become disappointments or busts outright. 

Third, the team needs TWO starting WRs in 2020, not just one rookie.

Fourth, Robby Anderson isn’t going to command a major contract that traps the team into it for 2-3 seasons. No way. Most likely they’d be able to get out of it after 1 season if they so choose. 

Again, you’re squabbling over a one-time cost of $2-3MM that’s little more than a rounding error or a small amount pissed away every season on a dimeback or backup lineman/LB. A puny savings to then bet all Darnold’s downfield WR target options for the whole season on a draftee having an outlier rookie season (if the draft even falls this way and we don’t go OL-CB in rounds 1-2). This is how you’d treat your new FQB prospect now that you finally have one? I wouldn’t. It’s frugality for frugality’s sake. A team that spends $17MM on an ILB has no business then citing that as a reason to leave its young QB with 2 starting WR holes as it enters the draft. That’s gross negligence.

He’s not the only option the Jets have, but based on likely availability in March he’s one of the best ones. Odds are the best value one is the one you can cherry pick only with the benefit of hindsight. You’re getting caught up in his yardage compared to others in better scenarios, and salaries of players who signed years ago who’d get nearly (or more than) $20MM as a UFA in 2020.

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, Terry mclauren, Marquise Brown all showed that rookie WRs can make an impact day 1. Not something that happened in the past.

If we use our 1-2-3-3 picks on OL and WR I think we can be a really dynamic offense next year. 

Let Greg Williams work his magic with the defense that is getting back Avery Williamson, Mosley and Cashman.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, Terry mclauren, Marquise Brown all showed that rookie WRs can make an impact day 1. Not something that happened in the past.

If we use our 1-2-3-3 picks on OL and WR I think we can be a really dynamic offense next year. 

Let Greg Williams work his magic with the defense that is getting back Avery Williamson, Mosley and Cashman.

not to mention Preston Williams and Derrius Slayton

The league is so pass happy now that rookie WRs can make a big difference immediately 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, I'm getting caught up in him having the physique of a stripper pole.  

I want a big f**ker at WR1.  Robby is barely a WR2.  

More of this tired, overused, and pointless sentiment?

Teams need more than just a WR1, or do you think other teams have nothing but that type under contract?

He’s definitely a WR2, and it’s delusional to think the team is going to draft 2 instant starter WRs - including your dream idea of a WR1 - in this upcoming draft. 

Just saying.

He’s not the only option, and he’s not my dream player either, but there aren’t a lot of options in FA. They screwed this one up good. 

He’s not getting what he’s asking for here, and even if he did that isn’t “WR1” money anymore anyway. The type you have in mind is now north of $20MM/year as a UFA.

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

More of this tired, overused, and pointless sentiment?

Teams need more than just a WR1, or do you think other teams have nothing but that type under contract?

He’s definitely a WR2, and it’s delusional to think the team is going to draft 2 instant starter WRs - including your dream idea of a WR1 - in this upcoming draft. 

Just saying.

He’s not the only option, and he’s not my dream player either, but there aren’t a lot of options in FA. They screwed this one up good. 

He’s not getting what he’s asking for here, and even if he did that isn’t “WR1” money anymore anyway. The type you have in mind is now north of $20MM/year as a UFA.

I just don't believe in making bad decisions to try to cover up previous bad decisions.  If Robby is willing to come back for $10M per, I'd do it.  If he's able to get that $13-15M he's looking for in free agency, all the best for him on his new team.

Rookie WR's can and do make an impact right away.  Let's get a couple of those, bring back Demaryius Thomas, and go to war.

On 1/4/2020 at 11:16 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

In theory it sounds great to wait for the draft and get some WRs, the reality is that a GM can’t leave major holes in a position group until the draft comes around.  For one thing, you don’t know how the draft will fall and who WILL be there when your pick is on the clock, second the money they give Robby doesn’t have to be crippling to the cap.  Most guaranteed money is gone after year 2, if he’s a dog and does nothing then get rid of him after 2021.   

If I’m Joe Douglas I look at the type of receivers that could be available in the draft and realize that if I sign Robby, still have Crowder, and I stand a good chance of getting one of these 6’4” proto-typical X receivers in the draft.  By drafting one of those you actually have a properly structured WR group.  

6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

In theory it sounds great to wait for the draft and get some WRs, the reality is that a GM can’t leave major holes in a position group until the draft comes around.  For one thing, you don’t know how the draft will fall and who WILL be there when your pick is on the clock, second the money they give Robby doesn’t have to be crippling to the cap.  Most guaranteed money is gone after year 2, if he’s a dog and does nothing then get rid of him after 2021.   

If I’m Joe Douglas I look at the type of receivers that could be available in the draft and realize that if I sign Robby, still have Crowder, and I stand a good chance of getting one of these 6’4” proto-typical X receivers in the draft.  By drafting one of those you actually have a properly structured WR group.  

Problem is the WR free agent market is basically dry this year.  AJ Green?  A 33/34 year old Manny Sanders?  Randall Cobb?  Yuck.

I'd rather have Demaryius Thomas back than most of the names available.  

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Problem is the WR free agent market is basically dry this year.  AJ Green?  A 33/34 year old Manny Sanders?  Randall Cobb?  Yuck.

I'd rather have Demaryius Thomas back than most of the names available.  

That’s kinda my point, Robby, while not ideal isn’t that bad of an option.  Even if he’s making $12 million per year.  He can certainly be productive with a decent group around him. 

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s kinda my point, Robby, while not ideal isn’t that bad of an option.  Even if he’s making $12 million per year.  He can certainly be productive with a decent group around him. 

The poor WR group in free agency is exactly what's going to drive Robby's value up.  Hence why I really wouldn't be surprised if he's getting 13 or 14.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

The poor WR group in free agency is exactly what's going to drive Robby's value up.  Hence why I really wouldn't be surprised if he's getting 13 or 14.

It certainly is, supply and demand at its finest.  I don’t think anyone is going beyond 13 per year though.  

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I just don't believe in making bad decisions to try to cover up previous bad decisions.  If Robby is willing to come back for $10M per, I'd do it.  If he's able to get that $13-15M he's looking for in free agency, all the best for him on his new team.

Rookie WR's can and do make an impact right away.  Let's get a couple of those, bring back Demaryius Thomas, and go to war.

I get not wanting to pay Anderson big money, but whatever rookie we draft isn't likely to replace his production.  Anderson had a down year and only 4 rookie draft picks had more yards.  3 2nd rounders, Brown, Metcalf and Deebo Samuel and McLaurin in the 3rd.  I am sure that teams were thinking that Andy Isabella and JJ Arcega-Whiteside were going to step in and produce.  Worse, JJAW is probably the guy that our production loving GM probably had input on selecting.  Who is it that hated him?  @Paradis ?  Give me the 3 cone. 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get not wanting to pay Anderson big money, but whatever rookie we draft isn't likely to replace his production.  Anderson had a down year and only 4 rookie draft picks had more yards.  3 2nd rounders, Brown, Metcalf and Deebo Samuel and McLaurin in the 3rd.  I am sure that teams were thinking that Andy Isabella and JJ Arcega-Whiteside were going to step in and produce.  Worse, JJAW is probably the guy that our production loving GM probably had input on selecting.  Who is it that hated him?  @Paradis ?  Give me the 3 cone. 

I'm not looking for a rookie to replace his production right away.  Obviously I want them to be successful but that part isn't a requirement.  If Sam takes the next step we should see nice seasons out of the likes of Crowder, Thomas and Herndon while the young WR's develop.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm not looking for a rookie to replace his production right away.  Obviously I want them to be successful but that part isn't a requirement.  If Sam takes the next step we should see nice seasons out of the likes of Crowder, Thomas and Herndon while the young WR's develop.

Sorry.  I haven't been around much during the holidays, but I saw a bunch of posts that bothered me on this topic. I may have taken it out on your post. 

People saying things like Vyncint Smith runs 4.3 and looks decent, so he can replace Anderson.  I actually like Smith, but he had zero TD receptions and his long was 37 yards.  He seems like a bit of an unreliable body catcher.  He actually may have been aided by having Anderson on the other side because teams will have some difficulty dealing with 2 burners.  Hopefully, Smith improves with a year in camp with Darnold, but I don't think he replaces Anderson.

IMO Anderson falls into the category of someone they must try to sign.  That doesn't mean they must sign him, but he should be given an offer.  I may be wrong because IMO the time to do that was near the end of the 2018 season and they have done nothing to indicate that they want to keep him beyond not trading him at the deadline.  I totally see not wanting to bid him up.  I don't have a huge problem with going fairly high for him, but I get people not wanting to go over $13M.  For me $12-13M per probably isn't too big of a deal, particularly provided that we can get out of it within two. 

My goal would be to keep what we have an add a draft pick.  IMO, our receiving group is pretty weak and Anderson is the best by far.  Herndon is okay, but I think relying on him is nuts.  This is a group that needs an upgrade and I think losing Anderson would be a significant step in the opposite direction. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

People saying things like Vyncint Smith runs 4.3 and looks decent, so he can replace Anderson.  I actually like Smith, but he had zero TD receptions and his long was 37 yards.  He seems like a bit of an unreliable body catcher.  He actually may have been aided by having Anderson on the other side because teams will have some difficulty dealing with 2 burners.  Hopefully, Smith improves with a year in camp with Darnold, but 

Yeah I'm not on the Vyncint Smith bandwagon until he puts together a full season of productivity.  He strikes me as the flavor of the month.  

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sorry.  I haven't been around much during the holidays, but I saw a bunch of posts that bothered me on this topic. I may have taken it out on your post. 

People saying things like Vyncint Smith runs 4.3 and looks decent, so he can replace Anderson.  I actually like Smith, but he had zero TD receptions and his long was 37 yards.  He seems like a bit of an unreliable body catcher.  He actually may have been aided by having Anderson on the other side because teams will have some difficulty dealing with 2 burners.  Hopefully, Smith improves with a year in camp with Darnold, but I don't think he replaces Anderson.

IMO Anderson falls into the category of someone they must try to sign.  That doesn't mean they must sign him, but he should be given an offer.  I may be wrong because IMO the time to do that was near the end of the 2018 season and they have done nothing to indicate that they want to keep him beyond not trading him at the deadline.  I totally see not wanting to bid him up.  I don't have a huge problem with going fairly high for him, but I get people not wanting to go over $13M.  For me $12-13M per probably isn't too big of a deal, particularly provided that we can get out of it within two. 

My goal would be to keep what we have an add a draft pick.  IMO, our receiving group is pretty weak and Anderson is the best by far.  Herndon is okay, but I think relying on him is nuts.  This is a group that needs an upgrade and I think losing Anderson would be a significant step in the opposite direction. 

if they don't keep anderson the wrs will be nonexistent.  thomas has maybe a year left in him.  smith is a backup.  enunwa is done.  they have a very slow rb and noone else.  the team is near bereft of offensive playmakers and they need several new starters on the OL.  unless they're fully committed to trading adams and using a 1st rounder on a wr i don't see how this team can expect to have a real offense if they let anderson walk and then still have to fix the OL while adding several key skill positions.  

On 1/4/2020 at 10:13 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

This is just wrong for multiple reasons.

First, $12MM is not low-end WR1 money, and hasn’t been for years. It’s high end WR2-3 money on a $200MM cap in 2020. Freaking Adam Humphries got $12MM fully guaranteed. 

Second, a rookie is unlikely to have the impact of a veteran WR. There are very few who eclipse 800 yards, and still fewer that could do so as deep threat WRs on the receiving end of a QB with limited time to let a play unfold (never mind fielding a non-NFL level starter at QB for a few games). Most drafted WRs take 2-3 seasons before they become siginificant weapons, and that’s if they don’t become disappointments or busts outright. 

Third, the team needs TWO starting WRs in 2020, not just one rookie.

Fourth, Robby Anderson isn’t going to command a major contract that traps the team into it for 2-3 seasons. No way. Most likely they’d be able to get out of it after 1 season if they so choose. 

Again, you’re squabbling over a one-time cost of $2-3MM that’s little more than a rounding error or a small amount pissed away every season on a dimeback or backup lineman/LB. A puny savings to then bet all Darnold’s downfield WR target options for the whole season on a draftee having an outlier rookie season (if the draft even falls this way and we don’t go OL-CB in rounds 1-2). This is how you’d treat your new FQB prospect now that you finally have one? I wouldn’t. It’s frugality for frugality’s sake. A team that spends $17MM on an ILB has no business then citing that as a reason to leave its young QB with 2 starting WR holes as it enters the draft. That’s gross negligence.

He’s not the only option the Jets have, but based on likely availability in March he’s one of the best ones. Odds are the best value one is the one you can cherry pick only with the benefit of hindsight. You’re getting caught up in his yardage compared to others in better scenarios, and salaries of players who signed years ago who’d get nearly (or more than) $20MM as a UFA in 2020.

AJ Humphries is an example of why you don't pay not why you pay.  FYI he got a front loaded contract.  He's making in the low 7's this year and next before they will either cut him or renegotiate with him.  His production made him a none factor for TN this year.  They plugged in a rookie who cost them peanuts. 

Robbie is not a solid No. 2 or a solid slot receiver.  He's a speed guy who doesn't run good routes, catch a ton of balls, block or do any of the things good No. 2 WR usually do. He's a one trick pony with relatively low production.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if they don't keep anderson the wrs will be nonexistent.  

What, are we getting rid of Crowder?  Do we not have draft picks?

Thomas was fine.  36 catches for 411 yds and 1 TD in just 10 starts.  He built a solid rapport with Darnold in just a short time.  3 different times he was targeted 9 times in a game. That has value.  

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Thomas was fine.  36 catches for 411 yds and 1 TD in just 10 starts.  He built a solid rapport with Darnold in just a short time.  3 different times he was targeted 9 times in a game. That has value.  

so crowder is the only wr, thomas gets hurt a bunch and he's on the wrong side of 30.  and we all know they need to use several draft picks on the OL.  so if anderson goes they're down to demarious thomas and crowder, 2 injured TEs, one very slow RB and still need to address the OL early and often.  it's not good.  

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's not getting $15MM. If he's available at $12MM, or even $13MM if it's just 1 year guaranteed, it's not that much difference between your acceptable rate of $10MM. This is the tax for doing nothing. 

Some rookie WRs can and do make an impact right away, but most of them do not. Thomas did fine, based on expectations, but no way am I expecting 15+ starts out of him in his age 32-33 season. He's a WR4 now who is good enough to use for spot starting, not a must-start guy to "go to war" with for a whole season unless summer injuries put us into that unenviable position.

It's also poor planning to head into the draft with such a major hole that it forces you into a round 1 decision even if the top ones are off the board. That is a much worse (and more lasting) poor decision than a one-time overpayment of $2-3MM. 

We're in the situation we're in, not the situation we wish we were in. The time to draft WRs is when you have expiring contracts, not expired contracts. Inking him (or someone similar) and drafting WRs is how you take care of a QB you burned 4 high draft picks to get. Getting cheap is how you leave him with still more excuses heading into year 4. 

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I am okay with bringing Thomas back, but his numbers have gone down every year since 2014.  That is five consecutive years of declining production.  A bounce back year for him would be 700 yards.  For a big target, he wasn't exactly a red zone weapon.  If we are going out and I tell my wife she looks "fine" I am sitting in the car while she changes her outfit.

• Haha 1

Jets should let Robby walk. He is not worth a penny north of 10 million. He will get paid more than that on the open market. put that money towards the o line. Conklin and Thuney. Then draft lamb/ and Justin jefferson 1-2... double dip on o line in the 3rd.

Lamb, Jefferson, Crowder, D Thomas & V. Smith.  Suddenly our wr corps is good

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am okay with bringing Thomas back, but his numbers have gone down every year since 2014.  That is five consecutive years of declining production.  A bounce back year for him would be 700 yards.  For a big target, he wasn't exactly a red zone weapon.  If we are going out and I tell my wife she looks "fine" I am sitting in the car while she changes her outfit.

interestingly, in every game that anderson scored a td this season the jets won.  5 tds and 5 wins vs dallas, wash, oak, miami and pitt.  he helps the jets win, he is worth money to this team. 

33 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

so crowder is the only wr, thomas gets hurt a bunch and he's on the wrong side of 30.  and we all know they need to use several draft picks on the OL.  so if anderson goes they're down to demarious thomas and crowder, 2 injured TEs, one very slow RB and still need to address the OL early and often.  it's not good.  

What about all the people anointing Vyncint Smith?

Again, everyone bemoans all these quality young WRs in the draft that we miss out on every year, many of which have very good rookie seasons, yet aren't willing to give our new GM a chance to draft a couple in a talent-rich WR class? 

You guys do realize that if we pay Robby big money, we're probably not drafting a WR high, right?  We'll have over $30M in 2020 cap dollars tied up in Robby, Enunwa and Crowder at that point.  That's a lot of resources to spend on a not very good WR corps.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

What about all the people anointing Vyncint Smith?

Again, everyone bemoans all these quality young WRs in the draft that we miss out on every year, yet aren't willing to give our new GM a chance to draft a couple in a talent-rich WR class?  You guys do realize that if we pay Robby big money, we're probably not drafting a WR high, right?

i'd rather keep anderson, draft OL and find wrs in the 3rd and 4th rounds.  plus they need a rb.