Does Jordan Jenkins want to be a Jet next year???

GREENBEAN

7 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Jenkins is a guy I want on the team. He has quietly improved every single year and has been a stalwart at the OLB position for us. I view his value similarly to Calvin Pace. Not lighting up the world with 18 sacks but his value is real.

Jenkins is my #1 free agent on the Jets that I want to bring back next year.  He should be priority #1 for Douglas.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I've always been a big Jenkins supporter, and agree he should be a top priority for them to bring back.  As a long-established Maccagnan-hater, it is the one pick of his that I always thought was a major hit in terms of value (i.e., after the first round).

Granted Jenkins is not that elite rusher that you ideally want, and that the Jets haven't had in a very, very long time, but he's certainly solid all around at what he does and if the team were eventually to get a true rusher to line up on the opposite side of the line from him, I think we'd all be very happy with his part in this.  Nice to hear the feeling seems to be mutual.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, talisaynon said:

Jenkins is ok but barts face after that interview said a thousand words. He knew this team played sh*tty offensive teams during their win streak and he knows Jordan Jenkins ain’t the kind of skill player that’s going to get this team a ring.

It’s tough because these are exactly he type of players that you are stuck overpaying because of the FA inflation. You either overpay for solid starters on the market or to retain your own.

At some point we have to retain talent and at least Jenkins plays an important position which can help justify the inevitable inflated contracts 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I've always been a big Jenkins supporter, and agree he should be a top priority for them to bring back.  As a long-established Maccagnan-hater, it is the one pick of his that I always thought was a major hit in terms of value (i.e., after the first round).

Granted Jenkins is not that elite rusher that you ideally want, and that the Jets haven't had in a very, very long time, but he's certainly solid all around at what he does and if the team were eventually to get a true rusher to line up on the opposite side of the line from him, I think we'd all be very happy with his part in this.  Nice to hear the feeling seems to be mutual.

I agree entirely. Jenkins has succeeded through all of the horse crap we've had going on here for the last few years. N ever complained. Never took a game off. Always worked hard and has improved every season. If we ever do get that dominant type of pass rushers on the other side, it will only free Jenkins up to make more noise. Add to it that Q is currently getting doubled on many plays ( I saw a. couple just yesterday).  Jenkins can actually still have more impact than he has and he's been solid. 

I'll add that I also like Burgess. 

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It’s tough because these are exactly he type of players that you are stuck overpaying because of the FA inflation. You either overpay for solid starters on the market or to retain your own.

At some point we have to retain talent and at least Jenkins plays an important position which can help justify the inevitable inflated contracts 

You don't always have to overpay though. Just fair market value. The market is what it is.  It would be just stellar to be able to get to a position like the Steelers and Pats have been over the years with letting players go when they get to their second contract but we're not there now. 

Greg Williams has shown this year that he can make lemonade when the talent isn't ideal. If we can get to a place where the offense does the same and our drafting is strong, we'll be there. That all said, Jenkins is still a guy you want around. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Darnold, Jenkins, Maye, Bless, Herndon, Shepherd and Fatukasi were all good draft picks by Macc. With Cashman, QW and Edoga still too early to tell. 

Having said that, he did whiff on a ton of other ones. 

Aside from the actual players, I think the biggest problem with Macc was when and where he took players.  Ex: Drafting Darnold and following with DT Nathan Shepherd. It would have seemed prudent to take either someone to protect Sam or even a new toy for him to play with. 

I was one of the the bigger Macc supporters sad to say, but I couldn't put my finger on his philosophy the last two drafts.  There didn't seem to be an actual plan. Just random BPA From his standpoint. 

But I agree with your list although Taking both Cashman and Austin last year with their injury histories was not smart. They both look like players, but Cashman has already been placed on IR in his rookie season. I wouldn't count on him being around very long unfortunately. 

9 hours ago, talisaynon said:

Jenkins is ok but barts face after that interview said a thousand words. He knew this team played sh*tty offensive teams during their win streak and he knows Jordan Jenkins ain’t the kind of skill player that’s going to get this team a ring.

True. We need All Pro talent at every position. And I heard TJ and JJ Watt have a cousin, Francis Watt.. who hangs out with Terron Beckham. He can get us 15 sacks a year. Gtfo.

Jenkins is a good, home grown, player who has earned himself a nice contract.

Hopefully, Joe D gets to work and re-signs both Jenkins and Poole before they hit FA. Those two guys are very valuable players in our D.

I'd love for Anderson to be retained too, but I think he's gone. He's not going to sign before he tests the market, and it's likely the market will pay more than the Jets are prepared to.

• Upvote 1