Gase Won’t Comment on Le’Veon Bell’s Future, has yet to Speak with Enunwa

JetNation

helmet.jpg

As the Jets wrap things up at 1 Jets drive in Florham Park, head coach Adam Gase met with the media and wasted no time in distancing himself from running back Le’Veon Bell when given a softball question early on during the session.  Asked if he would like Bell, one of the best running backs in the NFL, to return next season, Gase deferred to GM Joe Douglas.

After saying Bell was “under contract” for the next three years, he was pressed not about the contract, but his own personal preference in having Bell back.  Gase told the press that they could “ask Joe (Douglas) tomorrow” as Gase is not in charge of personnnel.  Now, everybody knows Gase isn’t in charge of personnel, and this wasn’t a question about what Douglas will do with Bell.  It was a question about whether or not Gase would like to have Bell back, and refusing to answer is your answer.  Look for the Jets to part with Bell whom Gase was unable to find a way to get more involved this season.

#Jets HC Adam Gase on if he wants Le'Veon Bell back: “He’s under contract for three more years … Ask Joe Douglas. I'm not in charge of personnel”

Not exactly an endorsement.

— NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) December 30, 2019

Of course there’s the possibilty that Gase’s answer had to do with him having thin skin.  Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News asked the question and hasn’t issued any free passes to Gase this season as other scribes have, so Gase ally Brian Costello of the New York Post had this to offer.

I think Gase's short answer about Bell had more to do with who was asking the question than his feelings on Bell. #nyj

— Brian Costello (@BrianCoz) December 30, 2019

Jets wide receiver Quincy Enunwa also met with the media for the fist time since being placed on injured reserve.  He told the press that he was diagnosed with spinal stenosis but would not require surgery.  Enunwa says he has not yet spoken to Adam Gase which should come as little surprise.  Gase does not speak to players who are on IR according to Connor Hughes, who later explaned Gase doesn’t meet with injured players becaue he is in his office while injured players are in the training room.  Our understanding is that the walk from Gase’s office to the training room can sometimes take up to a minute.

Enunwa later said he will not have surgery. Doctors didn’t advise it if he wants to keep playing.

He also hasn’t talked to Adam Gase yet, but will later during exit meetings. Gase doesn’t talk to guys on the IR. https://t.co/ctk9CCEBy1

— Connor Hughes (@Connor_J_Hughes) December 30, 2019

A healthy Enunwa would be a welcome sight for the Jets next season, but he’s not a player that you can go in to the season expecting to be availalbe during the season.  His hefty price tag means he’ll likely get a shot to show if he can go again next year, but don’t hold your breath.

The post Gase Won’t Comment on Le’Veon Bell’s Future, has yet to Speak with Enunwa appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
nS8jyegi2aA

Click here to read the full story...

Bell was definitely a disappointment this year. Oline sucked but he has no burst. Whenever he tried to bounce it outside the LBer would track him down pretty easily. 

Perhaps with a better oline he can still do some damage running between the tackles and he is still an asset out of the backfield and as a pass blocker.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Bell was definitely a disappointment this year. Oline sucked but he has no burst. Whenever he tried to bounce it outside the LBer would track him down pretty easily. 

Perhaps with a better oline he can still do some damage running between the tackles and he is still an asset out of the backfield and as a pass blocker.  

He has no burst,  where was he bursting to. He was getting tracked down?  He was on a phone booth every play.  He didn't have one run where he was in the open field running free all year. I think your meaning of being tracked down isn't what you think it means.  It's one thing to hit a hole and be running down filed and being tracked down from behind and it's another to get through the OL and trying to make a move to get past the 2nd level and getting tackled or as you say tracked down. Show me one play where he was tracked down from your perspective?  Cause I never saw him tracked down because his burst or speed is gone?  The OL was bad.  With that said I will say this.  Bells style does not fit this OL.  He tries to be patient and let them get to there blocks and create space for him, They never make the blocks they should.  This OL needs someone that sees a crack and immediately hits it and gets positive yards.  Not saying any other RB would have had a great season but a RB that does that might have been better.  Bottom line is fix the OL.  Bell isn't the problem his vision, his burst and his ability is still top notch. 

• Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Shouldn't JD be answering any questions involving the players on the roster. 

That's what Gase said, he differed to JD which was the right thing to do. His answer was a little curt but I think that's because of the click bait hit job lying POS reporter that asked the question.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, lounap23 said:

He has no burst,  where was he bursting to. He was getting tracked down?  He was on a phone booth every play.  He didn't have one run where he was in the open field running free all year. I think your meaning of being tracked down isn't what you think it means.  It's one thing to hit a hole and be running down filed and being tracked down from behind and it's another to get through the OL and trying to make a move to get past the 2nd level and getting tackled or as you say tracked down. Show me one play where he was tracked down from your perspective?  Cause I never saw him tracked down because his burst or speed is gone?  The OL was bad.  With that said I will say this.  Bells style does not fit this OL.  He tries to be patient and let them get to there blocks and create space for him, They never make the blocks they should.  This OL needs someone that sees a crack and immediately hits it and gets positive yards.  Not saying any other RB would have had a great season but a RB that does that might have been better.  Bottom line is fix the OL.  Bell isn't the problem his vision, his burst and his ability is still top notch. 

Bell was never Shady McCoy - he's never been speedy, he's like Blair Thomas with a brain - he needs to have a paved path to run through and once he gets going, he's a downhill runner who is hard to tackle due to power and moves.   Bell ran a 4.6/40 at the combine, for comparison, Saquon ran a 4.4, Nick Chubb ran a 4.5, Leonard Fournette ran a 4.5, Dalvin Cook ran a 4.5, McCaffrey ran a 4.48,   Bell is slow relative to an elite back...and yes 1 tenth of a  second in a 40yd dash is a big difference.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, lounap23 said:

He had plenty of opportunity to hit some big runs - even in this game against Buffalo.  

He made Powell looking like a speed demon.

Honestly, I like Bell, his attitude - but he’s not an NFL RB anymore.  Just not fast enough.

27 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Would you trade Bell straight up for Trent Williams?

Fck no. Get our guys a solid oline infront of them and they both make the pro bowl. Anyone who doubts the importance of a good offensive line simply doesn't know football.

16 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Gase should NEVER publicly comment on whether he WANTS a player to be part of the team next season. Contracts snd personnel are JDs job, not Gase’s.  I love that Gase understands that. I hated when Rex would screw the front office acting like the player’s agent.

You didn't like Bowles announcing Fitzpatrick was his starter even when he wasn't under contract? 

• Haha 1

Bell has the 2nd most receptions on the team.  He had the highest catch rate on the entire team.  Powell and Montgomery both enjoyed career low in YPC, just like Bell.  He was a great leader and teammate through an obviously frustrating year.

Bell was brought into to be safety blanket out of the backfield and he was great at that job.  Put an OL in front of him and you will see a significant uptick in ypc. and Bell is exactly what you paid for...to be the best receiving RB in the NFL.  The problem wasnt Bell, the problem was an all time bad OL.  It's not coincidence that every RB on the team had their worst season ever. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

the rest yes, the bold absolutely NO. He's slow. Slwo to start and slow at top speed. he's like a shift FB with good vision and instincts and hands. 

You have never watched Bell play have you?   His style is very different.   Like I said he plays patiently waiting for a whole to open.   So behind a line that never opens a whole he is looking slow as he is waiting for it. He's never been a hit the whole hard and fast guy.   As bad as this OL is in pass protection it's actually 100 times worse in run blocking.  

• Post of the Week 1

We lost 9 games with him. ( yes he didn’t play one game because of the flu)

He didn’t affect the outcome of not even one single game this year. He didn’t even get 1000 yards.

I doubt it highly that any team out there would trade for such production.

So it’s gonna be hard to get rid of him unless he requests a trade. ( which I doubt)

So that means Gase/ Douglas will have to make the adjustments to the running attack. Obviously, building a better OL will help but there’s more to it than that. It means committing to the run. Gase’s offensive philosophies seems to be based on the pass. Gase’s running game isn’t even a compliment to that, it’s like an afterthought.

I hope Gase is flexible enough to making the adjustments necessary to exploit Bell’s talent. If he doesn’t, will  we have a disgruntled Bell on our hands next year? That’s the last thing this team needs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

“Bell lost his burst.”

”Darnold would be Mahomes with a competent OL.”

JN has collective schizophrenia.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

More excuses for the FRAUD inability to use one of the best catch and run RB.  

Next year I can guarantee all the sheeps here will be blaming Sam.  

Remember this devastating fact about the FRAUD, Ryan Tannehill was much better than when the FRAUD came over to elevate hm into the next level.  Not only Tanny regressed under his watch but became a bust and lost his job.  It took another offensive coach to bring him back from the FRAUD dark alley.  Now he is completing 70% throwing 3/1 TD int ratio with 115 QB rating.  

Trade bell for an interior defensive lineman.  Draft interior defensive lineman. Bring back Sheldon Richardson, Mario Williams, Snacks and Tim Wilkerson... And then... Get more interior defensive lineman... Maybe Mike DeVito and Pouha want to make a come back.  They have 53 spots on that roster.  One spot for QB, one for kicker, punter and 50 spots for much needed interior defensive lineman...

• Thumb Down 1

Bell, like Gase, gets another year to prove himself.  I saw a run-down back who came out of retirement and looked average.  I saw a back that I didn't want to get the ball at all because he was constantly putting our QB in second-and-long and third-and-long situations.  Good guy though.  Says the right things.  Cuddly.

SAR I

29 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I did not! Gase is saying exactly what he should about players under contract and not under contract.... nothing. That’s JDs realm. Gase coaches the players that JD gives him.

Exactly.  It's office politics.

If Gase says something positive about Player X and the GM then goes and says the opposite or trades him, that puts the GM in a bad spot.  So saying nothing is the right move.

Gase has said or done nothing wrong this season.  His crime is that he's not cuddly like Pete Carroll or energetic like Sean McVay.  Fans care more about the show than the go.  I'll take a quiet, introverted curmudgeon that wins games over a flashy loser any day.

SAR I

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Bell has the 2nd most receptions on the team.  He had the highest catch rate on the entire team.  Powell and Montgomery both enjoyed career low in YPC, just like Bell.  He was a great leader and teammate through an obviously frustrating year.

Bell was brought into to be safety blanket out of the backfield and he was great at that job.  Put an OL in front of him and you will see a significant uptick in ypc. and Bell is exactly what you paid for...to be the best receiving RB in the NFL.  The problem wasnt Bell, the problem was an all time bad OL.  It's not coincidence that every RB on the team had their worst season ever. 

Ummmmmmmmmm what’s wrong with you!!!!!!!

Obviously Bell held back our terrific OL!!!!

:)  

1 hour ago, DRJETS said:

More excuses for the FRAUD inability to use one of the best catch and run RB.  

Next year I can guarantee all the sheeps here will be blaming Sam.  

Remember this devastating fact about the FRAUD, Ryan Tannehill was much better than when the FRAUD came over to elevate hm into the next level.  Not only Tanny regressed under his watch but became a bust and lost his job.  It took another offensive coach to bring him back from the FRAUD dark alley.  Now he is completing 70% throwing 3/1 TD int ratio with 115 QB rating.  

Yeah but Tannehill has a better cast!!!

Disregard that Parker going gonzo on the tanking Fins. Or Drake on the terrible Cardinals. Or Gesicki also of the Fins.