Do people still collect trading cards?

Matt39

Man, back like 10-13 years ago, thats ALL I would do. Buy pack upon pack of mostly baseball and basketball cards. They're all still sitting around in my house somewhere. I was just thinking they could be used as an emergency bank account if I really needed it. If memory serves, I had some pretty decent cards. Lotta rookies and so on.

But does anyone still do this anymore? Did the hobby become overrsaturated?

I mean I remember I used to kill my pops when I was younger for throwing his out. I'm dsur most parents did, which made them so valuable. Are a pack of '06 Topps going to be even worth anything?

I remember having a giant box that was like 2 feet high and 6 feet long completely filled with football cards.

I pretty much lost them whenever I moved to a new house when I was 13. I still have a few laying around my room. Including a Terrance Mathis Jets card that commemerate's a punt return TD he had in 1990.

Man, back like 10-13 years ago, thats ALL I would do. Buy pack upon pack of mostly baseball and basketball cards. There all still sitting around in my house somewhere. I was just thinking they could be used as an emergency bank account if I really needed it. If memory serves, I had some pretty decent cards. Lotta rookies and so on.

I mean I remember I used to kill my pops when I was younger for throwing his out. I'm dsur most parents did, which made them so valuable. Are a pack of '06 Topps going to be even worth anything?

I was one of the lucky ones who's mother did NOT throw out my cards :)

There are so many companies out there now that a young kid doesn't even know where to start.

For me it was basically Topps until Fleer and Donrous came on the scene in 1981.

I also think that alot of people today look at it more as an investment opportunity more than just a hobby.

Basically the market exploded

The Market became oversaturated

Nobody really cares anymore. There is just too much out there.

There are so many companies out there now that a young kid doesn't even know where to start.

For me it was basically Topps until Fleer and Donrous came on the scene in 1981.

I also think that alot of people today look at it more as an investment opportunity more than just a hobby.

I blame upper deck!! They were the guys to start charging $3-4 a pack.

My favorite card of all time is a Donruss...DonMattingly and Darryl Strawberry "Sluggers from the leftside"

I remember that '81 Donruss set. Had as many error-cards as correct cards. Bought two uncut sets of that one for like $15 bucks apiece and I think they're worth like $20 apiece now. Woo-hoo!

Man, back like 10-13 years ago, thats ALL I would do. Buy pack upon pack of mostly baseball and basketball cards. There all still sitting around in my house somewhere. I was just thinking they could be used as an emergency bank account if I really needed it. If memory serves, I had some pretty decent cards. Lotta rookies and so on.

Man, it's funny I am just reading this thread. As I am just logging on I have returned from a trip to the local card shop.

The hobby is still in full swing. Football and basketball pretty much dominate the hobby now, but baseball and hockey are still strong.

AFL now has its own card line, made by upper deck.

I buy cards just about every other day....if not then usually each week. I get alot of singles (rookies, etc) off ebay and at card shows. Plus its good to know people who run the local card shops-being here in NC not alot of folks buy Jets cards so I pretty much have my pick of the litter.

EDIT-Just got done busting a box of upper deck foundations football. Did pretty good....got 3 rookie autos (one numbered out of only 25).

my sister found my football cards in my moms attic a few years back.

It was awesome going thru them on my visit that year

to name a few: packers-jim taylor,ray nitchke,paul horning bart starr

colts-john unitas tom matte john mackey

browns- leroy kelly

giants-frank gifford pete gogalak spyder lockhart del schoffner tucker fredrickson **** lynch

eagles irv cross norm snead tim brown

buffalo bills daryl lamonica also raider card of him

johnny sample as a redskin sam huff

floyd littlebilly kramer lance allworth

NY JETS-sam deluca jack klotz gerry philbunal atkinson winston hill jim turner don maynard cornell gordon & q-back joe somebody

many others but too lazy to type em.

My son collects them but not as much these days since he figured out what to do with an erection;)

Anybody ever watch Antiques Roadshow? Anyway about 2 weeks ago a lady brought some unopened packs of 1957 topps football cards. She had so many and they were all unopened. They had been stored in her attic for many years and she just cleaned it out and found these packs. Well as the show went on the dealer told her she was at least sitting on hundreds of thousands of dollars in cards, since these packs were so old and still sealed in the original packaging. Needless to say she got phone calls right after that. I am interested to know how much money she got for those.

The most recent set of football cards that holds any real high value as far as sealed boxes and sets is the 1998 sp set made by upper deck. When it was first released the craze was getting the Randy Moss rookie, which booked at around 200. Now the big card in that set is the Peyton Manning rookie, which fetches around 800-1000 dollars.

I used to collect football cards up until about 8 years ago. I have box upon box filled with them. I really got into the DC and Marvel cards too. The market just got stupid though. There are so many different series of cards now that none of them are worth anything unless you pull one of the insert cards that are like 1 in every 3,000,000 packs or some ****. They have definately taken the fun out of the market and made it impossible for the typical kid to go to the store and buy a pack of cards. Now that I'm moving all of my collectibles to the basement, it might be a good time to go through them again. I always seem to find a few gems in there that I somehow missed the last time.

When I was a kid, I was big into collecting baseball cards. Back when I was in elementary school the yused to be around 50-75 cents for a pack of 92' score and a buck for Upper Deck. I went through and organized my cards a couple years back and realized that i have nearly 6500 baseball cards alone and about another 1,000 football and hockey cards.

Some notable RCs i have:

Alex Rodriguez Upper Deck Rookie

Doubles of Ken Griffey Jr's Donruss rookie

Sammy Sosa's Donruss rookie

Randy Johnson's Donruss rookie

Manny Ramirez upper deck rookie.

Derek Jeter Score select 1st round draft pick RC

a few others...i don't have my cards on me. they at the parentgs house in michigan. From what I remember, GOB has a Dan Marino RC and a Thurman Thomas RC as well.

I blame upper deck!! They were the guys to start charging $3-4 a pack.

My favorite card of all time is a Donruss...DonMattingly and Darryl Strawberry "Sluggers from the leftside"

I don't disagree with this, but Upper Deck did bring cards out of the "dark ages" of cheap cardboard and photos limited to only the front of the card....

I guess you have accept the good with the bad....But you are right, they took it from a cheap hobby to a pricey one -- especially for young kids, the most important collectors.

Archived