Expectations from Joe Douglas conference tomorrow.

25 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Seattle Seahawks, specifically John Schneider are one of the more #cuttingedge franchises in professional sports. He's had zero issue in sharing some of the methodology they're using to create an edge in personnel evaluation. We know Joe Douglas worked for the Eagles, played offensive line and likes old school wrestling. Some clarity on how he wants to implement a process I think would be a start. He's not going to lose the press conference. 

Okay; how about this; JD's job is to build a professional, winning football franchise. How can anything he says during this press conference that will move towards this. The fact that some GM shares things that most others would not doesn't show any upside; if you are cutting edge not sure why it makes sense to share your secret sauce, but JD likely won't loose his job by being tight-lipped. So, where is the upside? As a fan, I would like to know it all, but the Owner wants the guy to win games - not sure how sharing during a press conference will get us to more wins... 

3 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Okay; how about this; JD's job is to build a professional, winning football franchise. How can anything he says during this press conference that will move towards this. The fact that some GM shares things that most others would not doesn't show any upside; if you are cutting edge not sure why it makes sense to share your secret sauce, but JD likely won't loose his job by being tight-lipped. So, where is the upside? As a fan, I would like to know it all, but the Owner wants the guy to win games - not sure how sharing during a press conference will get us to more wins... 

Simply because the last GM who was hired by this ownership group didnt say anything because he had no clue on what he was doing. He was vague because there was no plan and he hid for the majority of his time here. Football is more or less a solved sport. Some insight into the process, after 10 years of losing wouldnt jeopardize the "special sauce". Douglas has nothing on his resume where he was the guy. For 7 million a year, some insight to why he's actually the guy would be a positive imo. 10 years of bad personnel decisions is a long time. Why will it be different this time?

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Simply because the last GM who was hired by this ownership group didnt say anything because he had no clue on what he was doing. He was vague because there was no plan and he hid for the majority of his time here. Football is more or less a solved sport. Some insight into the process, after 10 years of losing wouldnt jeopardize the "special sauce". Douglas has nothing on his resume where he was the guy. For 7 million a year, some insight to why he's actually the guy would be a positive imo. 10 years of bad personnel decisions is a long time. Why will it be different this time?

This x100. This team has utterly lost on basic process stuff—stockpiling draft picks, prioritizing the passing game on both sides of the ball, using analytics that anybody with an internet connection has had access to for a decade—since the second Mangini draft. Some concrete discussion of Douglas’s process would be nice.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

The Press will ask 10 questions about Bell so even if he wants to he really wont be able to share anything meaningful"

"Do you plan on trading Bell?"

"Is there a rift between Gase and Bell"

etc, etc...

Ten questions on Bell, ten roundabout, gutless questions trying to get Douglas to implicate Gase in everything that went wrong (Were you disappointed with the record? What about Darnold’s development? The offense is ranked last and Adam’s area of expertise is...), one nonsense question about who they’re looking to draft, one question on Robby Anderson.

There’s a good interview to be had with Douglas, but we don’t really have the beat guys to do it.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Expectations:

vagueness / Jets PR positivity 

“not satisfied”

“it starts with me” 

“I believe in Harvey Dent...err....Adam Gase”

”Sam is our guy”

”We’ll look under every rock in free agency and draft”

”Would love to keep everyone, but it’s not always the case. Gotta do what’s best for the team.”

Does anyone ever expect anything substantial from these things? Even pre-draft Rex (paraphrasing) “we are more than comfortable with Kellen Clemens as our starter.” 

My favorite Rexism is when he said, with a straight face, that he figured most teams around the league were "envious" of the Jets because we had two good QBs on the roster instead of only one - Sanchez and McElroy.  

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

press conferences are, by in large, meaningless. 

A good GM is never going to tell you what he is actually going to do anyway. 

Actually some of the newer GMs are amazingly open and dont do "nothing" speech. They don't say specific players but they do share their priorities and processes

• Upvote 1

i think the reason so many on this forum are always so disappointed is that they have unrealistic expectations.

JD won't say anything because:

1. He doesn't know exactly what he will do yet; too many variables about draft and FAs; still need to watch tape and evaluate FAs

2. If he did know and then told us and it didn't pan out, people would complain that he lied or didn't follow his plan

3. he isn't going to give out his game plan like collecting picks, etc. as it will effect his ability to negotiate

4. even if he knew the answers and decided to share, none here would believe him anyway

5. fans may want to know the process, but if they don't find out, all they could do is book a plane or billboard, he will tell CJ as he can fire him

6. he hasn't even had an offseason and draft - so he isn't getting fired for not having a good press conference or making fans happy.

7. forgetting the first 6, even if he had a plan, told us the truth, we would still have to wait and see what happened anyway - as we don't know what he said was truthful or would pan out.

• Sympathy 1

It’s the Tuesday after the team’s last game. What do you all expect him to say? If you’re expecting a description of how they’re going to go about fixing the roster, you will be disappointed. If you’re expecting him to say what he will do in regards to staff changes, you will be disappointed. 

More than likely you will get some kind of statement about how the goal is get better. How they’ll be active in free agency and are looking forward to the draft and how they have complete confidence in Gase and the coaching staff while looking into the vast injuries that plagued the team this season. They’ll dodge player specific questions in regards to free agency and will only praise current players with a few vagaries about how they used Bell and Kalil. Questions about Adams and Enunwa will be glossed over.

The goal will be to instill confidence. They will fail.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

When you’re going on year 10 of no playoffs, communication to the fans of what needs to specifically improve on the player personnel side as it relates to talent evaluation is important. Why should the fans have any faith in this guy? Because of Chris Johnson? He’s getting paid 7 million a year. 2 press conferences a year and vague nonsense shouldn’t be the standard. Jets fans don’t seem to expect anything.

I am hoping he will have a special gm call to psl holders so he can give us fans the inside scoop. 

aparrently it’s one of the perks of the psl

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

I am hoping he will have a special gm call to psl holders so he can give us fans the inside scoop. 

aparrently it’s one of the perks of the psl

JD NY Jets voice recording: Hello PSL holder 

batman: Hello JD is this you? 

JD NY Jets voice recording" Hello PSL holder

batman: Oh wow JD is this you? 

JD NY Jets voice recording: Hello PSL holder..................call ends 

batman: No wait JD don't hang up im here!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

prolly "why the hell did i take this job"

I don’t know about that. Think about this.

The guy will have been on this job for almost two years at the end of next season. He will have made about $13,000,000 by then, and that will be the first time anyone will really be able evaluate what he’s accomplished here.

That’s a pretty nice deal...

Praying he becomes a draft legend in this town… Isn’t  it about time we got one of those… Our people have suffered through the likes of football losers and joke GMs... Please dear God let this man build a winner… Protect Sam, kill their quarterback...

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, LSJF said:

Praying he becomes a draft legend in this town… Isn’t  it about time we got one of those… Our people have suffered through the likes of football losers and joke GMs... Please dear God let this man build a winner… Protect Sam, kill their quarterback...

Legend?  Shoot I am hoping he just becomes average.  Have you seen our drafts.   Like comically bad.   Almost like mathematically bad. 

• Upvote 2

They all preach the same stuff when discussing the future; we have better here and there. need to give our guys a chance to win - blah blah

What will be telling is how he plays off the mistakes and struggles of this year. I'd like to hear him own the team's shortcomings. His fault or not, let's hear him say it and be honest. 

• Upvote 1

I expect it will be full of him saying a lot of nothing and then a bunch of frothing CENSORED truly intelligent and well-spoken individuals ranting how it makes him the greatest/worst GM in history.

There's not enough history on him to know. Nobody is quite sure how involved he was in the Eagles successes/failures. Whatever he says tomorrow won't change that.

9 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I expect it will be full of him saying a lot of nothing and then a bunch of frothing CENSORED truly intelligent and well-spoken individuals ranting how it makes him the greatest/worst GM in history.

There's not enough history on him to know. Nobody is quite sure how involved he was in the Eagles successes/failures. Whatever he says tomorrow won't change that.

As long as he knows what an OLineman is he already has the Stumblebum beat.

Douglas will provide 20 minutes of "GM speak" and I won't care.  Its all about
him finally shaping the roster the way he wants it.  And he's not going to share
that with the public until free agency in March
... and yet you will watch ... Too

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

And yet ....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk