Trumaine Johnson Contract

BCJet

I saw someone mention today that we should just keep Tru next year because we can't get out of the contract with much savings next year and I think thats incorrect.

I dont totally understand pre-June 1st vs post June 1st, but I believe teams can simply designate a player as either one and according to Overthecap.com (which I trust and is an excellent site) here is what it has for Tru pre vs post.  The question comes down to, does the signing bonus proration accelerate?

Pre June 1:   Dead Money is $12 million and Cap Savings is $3 million

Post June 1:  Dead Money is $4 million and Cap Savings is $11 million

The site also says he had $34 guaranteed which was both his 2018 and 2019 salaries ($6 million and $8 million) and a $20 million signing bonus (which would be the $4 in dead money split over 2018-2022) which adds up.  When you look at the post June 1 numbers and the fact that Tru is a worthless, lazy player, how could we not waive him?  The question I have is does that signing bonus hits accelerate into the year you waive him? 

If not, Id love to have $11 million to pay a player who actually tries.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

There is cap savings and cash savings.  The Johnsons can save cash even if they don’t save cap space  because the bonus accelerates. 

I am not a fan of the Johnsons but if I am correct I don’t blame them for not wanting to pay trumaine any more money, even if the cap savings are neglible. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

I saw someone mention today that we should just keep Tru next year because we can't get out of the contract with much savings next year and I think thats incorrect.

I dont totally understand pre-June 1st vs post June 1st, but I believe teams can simply designate a player as either one and according to Overthecap.com (which I trust and is an excellent site) here is what it has for Tru pre vs post.  The question comes down to, does the signing bonus proration accelerate?

Pre June 1:   Dead Money is $12 million and Cap Savings is $3 million

Post June 1:  Dead Money is $4 million and Cap Savings is $11 million

The site also says he had $34 guaranteed which was both his 2018 and 2019 salaries ($6 million and $8 million) and a $20 million signing bonus (which would be the $4 in dead money split over 2018-2022) which adds up.  When you look at the post June 1 numbers and the fact that Tru is a worthless, lazy player, how could we not waive him?  The question I have is does that signing bonus hits accelerate into the year you waive him? 

If not, Id love to have $11 million to pay a player who actually tries.

We can save $11m by designating Trumaine Johnson as a June 1st cut but that $11m will not be available to spend until June 2nd. Tru's remaining guaranteed money will then be split into multiple years.

$12m remaining on his signing bonus would break down as:

2020 cap hit = $4m

2021 cap hit = $8m

Basically the money we'd gain from cutting Tru would really only be used to sign our draft class or make trades in season.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

We can save $11m by designating Trumaine Johnson as a June 1st cut but that $11m will not be available to spend until June 2nd. Tru's remaining guaranteed money will then be split into multiple years.

$12m remaining on his signing bonus would break down as:

2020 cap hit = $4m

2021 cap hit = $8m

Basically the money we'd gain from cutting Tru would really only be used to sign our draft class or make trades in season.

So that is where the post June designation hits a snag - thanks for the detailed response.  

Not to add yet another anti-Mac comment, but that sure seems like an odd structure when we had so much space, why not front load it a little more so that we dont have a situation like this?

Either way, given Tru's attitude etc, seems like he should be kicked out the door.

• Post of the Week 1

He was a pretty good CB when he played for the Rams but a complete bust after the Jets paid him.  Something to keep in mind before jumping into FA with both feet.  I would cut him now.  He is not committed and it's obvious.  Precisely the kind of person you don't want in your locker room if you are trying to develop a team-oriented winning culture.

• Upvote 1

There is no post June 1 cut this year because the CBA is expiring.  Tru has $12MM remaining on his signing bonus.  His 2020 salary of $11MM is not guaranteed until March 20.  So we really have two options:

Let him walk.  In which case his entire outstadning bonus hits the cap in 2020.  And no cap implicaitons beyond 2020.  $12 MM cap charge.  But the $12MM has already been paid to him, so no new cash paid by the Johnsons, or

Pick up his $11MM salary for 2020, in which case his cap hit is $15MM.  $11MM salary and $4MM of his pro-rated signing bonus.  But then he will still have $8MM outstanding cap hit.  So $11MM new cash and $23MM cap hit across 2 years.

Seems like a pretty simple decision to me.  Don't pay him any more $$.  Take the $12MM hit now and be done with him.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1