My 5 Takeaways from the Bills Game

bla bla bla

45 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

- missed opportunities, leaving points on the field es no bueno. 6 points worth of field goals and the under thrown pass to Brown in the endzone

- Sam Darnold, lack list performance but given the weather conditions I don't really care. Just glad he is healthy to end this season.

- Adam Gase's play-calling is frustrating at best

- Who were the people playing OL, barely recognize anyone anymore

- Thank God this season is over haha

Excellent.  Great vid. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, docdhc said:

Play calling may be a reflection of the state of OL.  Conservative calls to keep Darnold from getting killed.  Also still won the game.  Good play caller adjusts to personnel and doesn't stubbornly try to stick to set offense when he doesn't have the horses to execute it.  Maybe we should be admiring this instead of criticizing?

That's an interesting take and I was of that mindset or a few weeks. Week one all of the quick passes to Crowder to give our brand new offensive line time to gel. Simple game plan for Luke Falk etc.  Then came the First Miami game and the Bengals game. I saw the stubbornness of Gase take hold so I am not so sure anymore. 

His usage of Bell is also concerning.  I struggle with the idea you present here for these reasons (and more). I struggle to swallow that Gase is really operating at that level. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

- missed opportunities, leaving points on the field es no bueno. 6 points worth of field goals and the under thrown pass to Brown in the endzone

- Sam Darnold, lack luster performance but given the weather conditions I don't really care. Just glad he is healthy to end this season.

- Adam Gase's play-calling is frustrating at best

- Who were the people playing OL, barely recognize anyone anymore

- Thank God this season is over haha

Can any nimrod make a podcast ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

8th most touches in nfl.

He’s had 20 or more carries 3x in 15 games.
Conversely he’s had less than 15 5x

It’s not simply about the touches. It’s how to use someone. Gase did not use bell correctly. The reasons why are debatable.

It looks to me like Gase doesn’t like him which would be the worst reason of all the others

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

It’s not simply about the touches. It’s how to use someone. Gase did not use bell correctly. The reasons why are debatable.

It looks to me like Gase doesn’t like him which would be the worst reason of all the others

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Absolutely. How long can a mediocre coach, at best, be allowed to keep alienating good, proven players? We've all worked with people who are great at their jobs, but you wouldn't want to go out after work for a beer with.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

bell is a between the tackles runner, and our OL is garbage.

Yes our OL is garbage, which is why it made no sense to utilize him in the fashion we did. I want to see Gase adapt to take advantage of Bell's receiving ability. IMO that is the aspect that makes him so valuable.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, section314 said:

Absolutely. How long can a mediocre coach, at best, be allowed to keep alienating good, proven players? We've all worked with people who are great at their jobs, but you wouldn't want to go out after work for a beer with.

Watching DeVanter Parker, Jarvis Landry, Ryan Tannehill all have success with out Gase is really concerning for me. Especially why you contrast that with way he's used Bell.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

if our OL was not garbage it would be a non issue.

"correctly" is like code for "different in some way ...obviously woulda been better"? 

no "correctly" woulda made the crap OL less crappy.

it hurt the pass game and rendered bell into dead last in dvoa

Just now, bla bla bla said:

Are you for keeping Bell or against? It definitely felt like Gase did not use Bell in a way that would have made sense. Do you think it's just the OLs fault?

keep cos we gotta. yes, its just the OL. cos you saw when there was a crease he did his thing. its just that that only happened like 1 of every 4 to 5 runs.

tannehlls year is a blip. parker was injured and he used drake plenty.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Touches ≠ Proper Use

How many times have we watch Bell run straight into the line of scrimmage? I'd prefer if we got him out in space.

Don't you think DC's try to limit that and with our Oline we can't run wide effectively. The only thing I would have liked to see more of is screen passes on non-obvious passing downs.

• Upvote 1

imo, gase made two bad play calls during the buffalo game; the pistol on 3rd and 1 and then not going for it at 4th and 2 and opting for a fg.  ficken is just not that reliable of a placekicker.  a stupid gimmick play in short yardage doesn't work well against a fast team like the bills.  darnold had a couple of bad executions.  on one of his interceptions (i think the one called back on penalty) he had plenty of open space to run for a first down but opted to throw it.  and then there was the low ball to jones in the end zone.  he will be able to figure those out as he gets more experience and a decent oline and run game.  other than that, the jets offense was controlling the game from a play calling standpoint.  if the oline can't run block then what kind of production can be expected of a guy like bell.  and those throws to the flat for bell also take more time than the oline can give darnold.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

keep cos we gotta. yes, its just the OL. cos you saw when there was a crease he did his thing. its just that that only happened like 1 of every 4 to 5 runs.

tannehlls year is a blip. parker was injured and he used drake plenty.

good points on bell.  he doesn't hit the intended hole like a cannonball.  he picks his hole and tries to run through them.  unfortunately the holes are seldom there or just aren't there very long.  hopefully gase will structure the oline to better take advantage of bell's running style.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Losmeister said:

if our OL was not garbage it would be a non issue.

"correctly" is like code for "different in some way ...obviously woulda been better"? 

no "correctly" woulda made the crap OL less crappy.

it hurt the pass game and rendered bell into dead last in dvoa

I'm right there with our OL ruining anything we wanted to do this year. You'll get no argument from me there, but I will not settle on the idea that Gase properly (Im trying here lol) utilized the weapon that Bell is. If he can't run him, he should have essentially been a Wideout in a 12 personal to maximize protection. Bell's hands are probably the best on the team and we under utilized that aspect of his game. He did have 66 receptions so it's not atrocious, but Bell could have been used much more effectively and more often for sure. Just look at the last game of the season when Bell was essentially taken out of the game  in the second half. It's not the first time either. Please explain to me what that's all about. I stand here to be corrected. 

Correctly, obviously, Properly or even Particularly all fit IMO. As long as they are being used to describe Gase misusing Leveon Bell. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, section314 said:

Right. Gase is weird man.  He can't seem to cover when he's aggrivated to when he doesn't like someone/something. It's been pretty clear that he has a stick up is a$$ about Bell. I'm not sure why. If it really goes back to when Macchiato's or CJ overruled him on signing Bell in the offseason it's worst case scenario. IT shows that Gase holds grudges and can't get passed them. who knows? 

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I'm right there with our OL ruining anything we wanted to do this year. You'll get no argument from me there, but I will not settle on the idea that Gase properly (Im trying here lol) utilized the weapon that Bell is. If he can't run him, he should have essentially been a Wideout in a 12 personal to maximize protection. Bell's hands are probably the best on the team and we under utilized that aspect of his game. He did have 66 receptions so it's not atrocious, but Bell could have been used much more effectively and more often for sure. Just look at the last game of the season when Bell was essentially taken out of the game  in the second half. It's not the first time either. Please explain to me what that's all about. I stand here to be corrected. 

Correctly, obviously, Properly or even Particularly all fit IMO. As long as they are being used to describe Gase misusing Leveon Bell. 

Bell as a wideout is a joke. thats my take. its the OL, man. 

4 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Don't you think DC's try to limit that and with our Oline we can't run wide effectively. The only thing I would have liked to see more of is screen passes on non-obvious passing downs.

Agreed, I felt our use of the screen game this year was pretty poor but I suppose that likely comes down to the OL as well. For all we know this offense was run because of the OL talent. At least I hope so haha

11 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Sure. A joke. It's not like that's never been done before. With success.  I gotcha 

Exactly how much do you think the "success": was...  how many snaps you think he took at WR?

A smattering,

his YPC w/ Pitts last 2 years was 8.2 and 7.7...  this year...7.   A whole big fat YARD. Stunning.

dude had 245 carries long gain of 19. 

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

Exactly how much do you think the "success": was...  how many snaps you think he took at WR?

A smattering,

his YPC w/ Pitts last 2 years was 8.2 and 7.7...  this year...7.   A whole big fat YARD. Stunning.

dude had 245 carries long gain of 19. 

Great example. 

It's not just numbers man.  It's scheming toward effectiveness. I read a stat where Bell's 4th quarter yards were more than his half yds or something like that, but the point is that Bell gets better as the game goes on. That's not how Gase used him. Again he had less than 15 carries 5x this past season and only 20 or more 3x.  That's very telling. 

A really great example is the Cincy game. They were known to have literally the worst run D in the league around thwe outside. The only strength of their D was the A gap. Where does Gase run him?  A gap. 11 total runs for Bell. Not one run to the outside. No TE out there to seal the edge, where Cincy sucks, to let Bell take it around the corner. Or even Powell for that matter. 

I am one of the biggest complainers about the OL this year and do not disagree with you there, but it's one or the other here. The line sucks. Yes. But Bell was misused as well. And severely misused IMO. Ya know there are ways to cover weaknesses on a team? 12 personnel with Bell's skillset almost begged to be used to help the OL out. The Cincy game is a prime example of it but it happened constantly all season. 

You're making me into a Bell cheerleader here, which I am not. but facts are fact man. And I don't even love Bell but come on. 

Bell rarely ever gets to the edge and running him wasnt gonna get us back 2+ scores v Cinci.

And I would agree using Powell mighta worked, but then that would also count as not using Bell properly, right?

And around and around we go.

he's not a fast back, he's powerful and shifty.

I dont love or hate Bell. HE CAN BE EFFECTIVE WITH BLOCKING.

HE CANNOT BE EFFECTIVE W/ OUR OL.

Just now, Losmeister said:

Bell rarely ever gets to the edge and running him wasnt gonna get us back 2+ scores v Cinci.

And I would agree using Powell mighta worked, but then that would also count as not using Bell properly, right?

And around and around we go.

he's not a fast back, he's powerful and shifty.

I dont love or hate Bell. HE CAN BE EFFECTIVE WITH BLOCKING.

HE CANNOT BE EFFECTIVE W/ OUR OL.

I agree.  I admit  I wasn’t a huge fan of the signing and he was missing that same burst from previous year BUT our oline really hurt him.

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I agree.  I admit  I wasn’t a huge fan of the signing and he was missing that same burst from previous year BUT our oline really hurt him.

our O line KILLED any chance he had at being productive.

who was it? Lou? the combo of his style and our OL was a DEatH KNELL.