My 5 Takeaways from the Bills Game

bla bla bla

22 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

- missed opportunities, leaving points on the field es no bueno. 6 points worth of field goals and the under thrown pass to Brown in the endzone

- Sam Darnold, lack luster performance but given the weather conditions I don't really care. Just glad he is healthy to end this season.

- Adam Gase's play-calling is frustrating at best

- Who were the people playing OL, barely recognize anyone anymore

- Thank God this season is over haha

What kind of STUPIDITY in leadership not only let's a pro bowl kicker go, but possibly even MORE egregious goes into training camp with ONE kicker? Mac was as dumb as a f*cking post.

How come you don't b*tch more often about how little talent Sammy was given to work with this season? For me adding this roster to two excellent players in Sammy and Leveon is like trying to put a spit shine on a TURD?

JD had better read his Jets history books? Time and again GM's come to NY and think they're smarter than anyone before them? Example:

Tanny selected Anthony Schegel (the boar hunter) from Ohio State and he turns into the worst pick in that draft. Fast forward two years and Tanny selects Verne Gholston 6th overall and the guy is GARBAGE. Fast forward to 2016 and our idiot GM Mac (thinking of course he's smarter than Tannenbaum) takes DARRON LEE in the 1st round from Ohio State. If Mac hadn't been such a SFB, he would've said based on Tanny's mistakes with two OSU linebackers, perhaps I shouldn't take a very questionable fit LB from OSU again. Perhaps I should give this thing a little more thought?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

What kind of STUPIDITY in leadership not only let's a pro bowl kicker go, but possibly even MORE egregious goes into training camp with ONE kicker? Mac was as dumb as a f*cking post.

How come you don't b*tch more often about how little talent Sammy was given to work with this season? For me adding this roster to two excellent players in Sammy and Leveon is like trying to put a spit shine on a TURD?

JD had better read his Jets history books? Time and again GM's come to NY and think they're smarter than anyone before them? Example:

Tanny selected Anthony Schegel (the boar hunter) from Ohio State and he turns into the worst pick in that draft. Fast forward two years and Tanny selects Verne Gholston 6th overall and the guy is GARBAGE. Fast forward to 2016 and our idiot GM Mac (thinking of course he's smarter than Tannenbaum) takes DARRON LEE in the 1st round from Ohio State. If Mac hadn't been such a SFB, he would've said based on Tanny's mistakes with two OSU linebackers, perhaps I shouldn't take a very questionable fit LB from OSU again. Perhaps I should give this thing a little more thought?

I hate defending the Lee pick but I'll try. It made sense at the time, the Jets had no one to cover TEs and we just sat through the slowing down of Davis Harris. Mac tried to solve this issue by drafting the countries fastest LB off the #1 defense in college.

Again the pick failed, but at least the rationale for the pick was somewhat sound.

That said I hate how Mac built this team. Sam was running for his life all year, you could tell the whole team knew it.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I hate defending the Lee pick but I'll try. It made sense at the time, the Jets had no one to cover TEs and we just sat through the slowing down of Davis Harris. Mac tried to solve this issue by drafting the countries fastest LB off the #1 defense in college.

Again the pick failed, but at least the rationale for the pick was somewhat sound.

That said I hate how Mac built this team. Sam was running for his life all year, you could tell the whole team knew it.

There was ZERO logic in taking Darron Lee - ZERO. Lee was considered to be ideally suited to play in a 4-3 base defense. Toilet ? ran a 3-4. Also, if Mac had ever actually bothered to watch film on Lee he would've seen two universal immutable truths:

1) Lee always looked impressive at OSU because he was ALWAYS unblocked. The rest of the OSU defense kept Lee's jersey clean so he could run and make plays after the ball was snapped. Every time, and I do mean every time, Lee got blocked he was rendered ineffective. He was 215 pounds. He simply was NOT big enough to play linebacker in a 4-3 let alone a 3-4 that REQUIRES larger linebackers.

2) Lee could not pass defend to save his life. Not once in all three seasons that I saw Darron Lee play for the Jets did I ever seen him turn his head and actually look for the football. If you did? Please point it out to me because I was looking and I never saw it happen. Lee was fast, but he was ALWAYS behind on pass defense. At least two to 3 yards routinely. He actually thought running behind a pass catcher was considered good coverage? This is to say nothing about average size RB's and TE's. They would simply give Lee one good shove within the POS and Lee would go flying. This is also to say nothing about the fact that Lee was a PUSSY. Lee didn't like contact. He was afraid of contact. The very second you see something like that? Your career is OVER.

To this day I will never understand what was said in Lee's pro right up? That spoke in glowing terms about how wonderful Lee was and how he would immediately become the best of the best in the NFL. I've never seen a bigger crock of sh*t in my entire life. 

So, please tell me.... WHY are you trying to defend Lee? 1) The pick is indefensible and I just explained that quite eloquently. 2) Lee is an IDIOT to boot? He was constantly in trouble off the field as well. How many times did he try to hit a woman?

BLA BLA BLA, I like your YouTube rants. I think you are a rather level -headed fan that gives sometimes unique and valuable insight. But trying to defend Lee or even his selection is foolish and brings you down. Selecting Lee was every bit as bad as John Idzik selecting GENO SMITH.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, CurtMart said:

Try watching the game next year. 

Um, it's my eyes what wrote that...[and how dare you, sir, how dare you!!]

He's got work to do. He's got the physical tools but I heard someone say, "take away those 3 or 4 throws and he's great..." or something similar. Games are lost on ONE play sometimes, especially against elite competition. So, the notion that a 'franchise' qb can make the mistakes Darnold makes routinely is just not congruent with winning a large number of games.

12 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

There was ZERO logic in taking Darron Lee - ZERO. Lee was considered to be ideally suited to play in a 4-3 base defense. Toilet ? ran a 3-4. Also, if Mac had ever actually bothered to watch film on Lee he would've seen two universal immutable truths:

1) Lee always looked impressive at OSU because he was ALWAYS unblocked. The rest of the OSU defense kept Lee's jersey clean so he could run and make plays after the ball was snapped. Every time, and I do mean every time, Lee got blocked he was rendered ineffective. He was 215 pounds. He simply was NOT big enough to play linebacker in a 4-3 let alone a 3-4 that REQUIRES larger linebackers.

2) Lee could not pass defend to save his life. Not once in all three seasons that I saw Darron Lee play for the Jets did I ever seen him turn his head and actually look for the football. If you did? Please point it out to me because I was looking and I never saw it happen. Lee was fast, but he was ALWAYS behind on pass defense. At least two to 3 yards routinely. He actually thought running behind a pass catcher was considered good coverage? This is to say nothing about average size RB's and TE's. They would simply give Lee one good shove within the POS and Lee would go flying. This is also to say nothing about the fact that Lee was a PUSSY. Lee didn't like contact. He was afraid of contact. The very second you see something like that? Your career is OVER.

To this day I will never understand what was said in Lee's pro right up? That spoke in glowing terms about how wonderful Lee was and how he would immediately become the best of the best in the NFL. I've never seen a bigger crock of sh*t in my entire life. 

So, please tell me.... WHY are you trying to defend Lee? 1) The pick is indefensible and I just explained that quite eloquently. 2) Lee is an IDIOT to boot? He was constantly in trouble off the field as well. How many times did he try to hit a woman?

BLA BLA BLA, I like your YouTube rants. I think you are a rather level -headed fan that gives sometimes unique and valuable insight. But trying to defend Lee or even his selection is foolish and brings you down. Selecting Lee was every bit as bad as John Idzik selecting GENO SMITH.

Haha I suppose that's why I said I'd try to defend it. Unfortunately I was not a member on this board at the time so I'm sure I missed some great breakdowns. I remember being frustrated that we won so many games with a QB that was clearly not the answer only to miss the playoffs haha. I just remember leading up to that draft and thinking how I wanted us to move up for a QB but we had nothing of value to use as trade bait. When draft day came and Tunsil started to fall I was hoping we'd try to jump up and get him. By the time we got to our pick there was no one that I had any strong feelings for. Myles Jack was awesome but that injury had the potential to have nerve issues so I didn't mind passing on him in round 1.

Honestly even looking back I'm not sure who I'd take, maybe Will Fuller? But even then we had just come off a year with Marshall and Decker crushing it so WR didn't feel quite as pressing. 

I hated the Geno Smith pick haha he did master the "roll out and run out of bounds behind the LoS" play very well though ?

44 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Haha I suppose that's why I said I'd try to defend it. Unfortunately I was not a member on this board at the time so I'm sure I missed some great breakdowns. I remember being frustrated that we won so many games with a QB that was clearly not the answer only to miss the playoffs haha. I just remember leading up to that draft and thinking how I wanted us to move up for a QB but we had nothing of value to use as trade bait. When draft day came and Tunsil started to fall I was hoping we'd try to jump up and get him. By the time we got to our pick there was no one that I had any strong feelings for. Myles Jack was awesome but that injury had the potential to have nerve issues so I didn't mind passing on him in round 1.

Honestly even looking back I'm not sure who I'd take, maybe Will Fuller? But even then we had just come off a year with Marshall and Decker crushing it so WR didn't feel quite as pressing. 

I hated the Geno Smith pick haha he did master the "roll out and run out of bounds behind the LoS" play very well though ?

You already named who they should have taken instead. LAREMY TUNSIL or trade down if the possibility presented itself. Mac had a deal on the table with the Giants? I think? To trade the Jets 1st, 2nd, and 4th to move up 10 spots and take Tunsil. In the end, Mac turned the deal down because... And here's what I believe:

1) Mac wanted Christian Hackenberg. Mac needed his 2nd rounder because he honestly thought Hackenberg was the next Joe Montana.

2) He thought the price was too high.

3) He could still please ? by taking Darron Lee and giving toilet ? his Deonne Buchanan. His little twerp he had in Arizona that was going to make his defense top 5. 

But MAC, and no one else, thought it was too much to trade when the Titans had already traded up to grab big name OL like Jack Conklin. Laremy Tunsil was supposed to go top 5 but because he got filmed smoking weed in a gas mask he slipped. He was GREAT value at 10 and Mac thought it was too much.

2 hours ago, phill1c said:

Um, it's my eyes what wrote that...[and how dare you, sir, how dare you!!]

He's got work to do. He's got the physical tools but I heard someone say, "take away those 3 or 4 throws and he's great..." or something similar. Games are lost on ONE play sometimes, especially against elite competition. So, the notion that a 'franchise' qb can make the mistakes Darnold makes routinely is just not congruent with winning a large number of games.

I can understand your concerns with those “3 or 4 throws” and I would agree that’s more ‘homerism’ than anything else. However, I was only talking about the pass that Darnold threw on the run under pressure after directing traffic about 20-25 yards deep while running to his left. The pass was maybe about a yard short but it had some ways to travel and enough time to adjust for a receiver that wasn’t running vertically. The TE dove back but misjudged his dive and the ball essentially hit his elbows and not the hands. It wasn’t a perfect throw but catchable. If Darnold isn’t u Dee pressure and isn’t on the run, then I’d fault him for the play. If the TE catches that pass, the analysts would have called it an Aaron Rodgers type throw. 

Under pressure and on the run to his left, Darnold failed to deliver a perfect pass. Does that satisfy you?

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

You already named who they should have taken instead. LAREMY TUNSIL or trade down if the possibility presented itself. Mac had a deal on the table with the Giants? I think? To trade the Jets 1st, 2nd, and 4th to move up 10 spots and take Tunsil. In the end, Mac turned the deal down because... And here's what I believe:

1) Mac wanted Christian Hackenberg. Mac needed his 2nd rounder because he honestly thought Hackenberg was the next Joe Montana.

2) He thought the price was too high.

3) He could still please ? by taking Darron Lee and giving toilet ? his Deonne Buchanan. His little twerp he had in Arizona that was going to make his defense top 5. 

But MAC, and no one else, thought it was too much to trade when the Titans had already traded up to grab big name OL like Jack Conklin. Laremy Tunsil was supposed to go top 5 but because he got filmed smoking weed in a gas mask he slipped. He was GREAT value at 10 and Mac thought it was too much.

I never heard the rumored trade up with the Giants. We hadn't traded with them since the 80s until this year. He's moronic for not making that trade.

I have an interesting story from that draft. Believe it or not I actually know who wanted Hackenberg and it wasn't Mac, or at least not initially. There was a phone call that was received right before draft night. Mac called a "QB Guru" and asked what QB he should take. This QB Guru was not on the Jets payroll.

After a failed first season with Hackenberg, Mac made the move to add him into the fold. That person was Jeremy Bates.

2 hours ago, CurtMart said:

I can understand your concerns with those “3 or 4 throws” and I would agree that’s more ‘homerism’ than anything else. However, I was only talking about the pass that Darnold threw on the run under pressure after directing traffic about 20-25 yards deep while running to his left. The pass was maybe about a yard short but it had some ways to travel and enough time to adjust for a receiver that wasn’t running vertically. The TE dove back but misjudged his dive and the ball essentially hit his elbows and not the hands. It wasn’t a perfect throw but catchable. If Darnold isn’t u Dee pressure and isn’t on the run, then I’d fault him for the play. If the TE catches that pass, the analysts would have called it an Aaron Rodgers type throw. 

Under pressure and on the run to his left, Darnold failed to deliver a perfect pass. Does that satisfy you?

I wasn't unsatisfied before ;-)

Look, a pass doesn't work out, I'm not going to roast a guy over it. But can we please stop saying "if he had a better OL..." or "if he isn't under pressure..." blah blah blah. Pressure happens, every game, for every QB in the NFL. So, if Darnold needs a perfect pocket or no pass rush, well, it just ain't gonna happen. He made a poor throw, for whatever reason and it wasn't caught.

The Jets won the game. And Darnold didn't have a killer mistake. Heck, I'll take that all day, every day. But I'd like to see less ridiculous turnovers: bad decisions (INTs thrown into coverage) and lack of ball security (fumbles where he's held the ball far too long for the situation).

I don't think it's hostile to point out flaws and expect improvement. I like Darnold. I like his physical talents. I'd like to see his brain and legs catch up with his arm.

7 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

You shouldn't have to because, let's face it, nobody really cares except the two of you.

The Jets main problems have been and continue to be on offense. The defense, while not performing up to standards at least had a standard. The offense has been sh!!t for the last decade. So what if Lee couldn't cover, the Jets couldn't score anyway so every game was a Hamburger Hill death march.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, phill1c said:

You shouldn't have to because, let's face it, nobody really cares except the two of you.

The Jets main problems have been and continue to be on offense. The defense, while not performing up to standards at least had a standard. The offense has been sh!!t for the last decade. So what if Lee couldn't cover, the Jets couldn't score anyway so every game was a Hamburger Hill death march.

Yea having the right QB now feels like a huge weight off our chest haha