On The Road With Greenbean

Maxman

I agree with you Greenbean! I love the idea of Mosley, and Williamson holding down the middle of defense. They are both tackling machines, and we saw in 3 quarters, of 1 game at how menacing, and dominant CJ Mosley was, and is! Just think with Avery by his side. Very exciting honestly if you ask me. The only concern I have is how Avery will bounce back after the ACL. Sometimes it seems like players aren't back 100% till 2nd season back from injury. Especially guys like this who have to cover in space. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/16/2020 at 8:44 AM, GREENBEAN said:

Right. I share that concern for Mosely too. The good news it's been a long time since the injury.  We did a really good job bringing Marcus Maye back from his injuries last season and that creates hope for both of these guys coming back 100% for 2020.  I think the Avery situation is one of the more interesting this offseason. 

Your absolutely right about Marcus. When he came back, it looked like he never missed a beat. Luckily, Mosely is realitivly young, so hopefully he doesn't miss a beat. Avery i believe is a bit older, but none the less, a stud when healthy and playing full speed. Regardless, I agree with you 💯% on our inside backer situation with those two. I think that's a supurb combo in the middle.

On another note GREENBEAN, what do you think of the chatter of possibly being in the hunt for Clowney at outside backer! Obviously we need to do something besides draft considering they let Jenkins walk. Jenkins was never a jump off the tape kinda guy, but I thought he played better than I thought we would ever see him play, honestly. I'm kinda surprised we didn't try to bring him back on a team friendly deal, even just as a role player, or depth. Anyway, back to Clowney. I think if he was with the Jets, his pass rushing numbers would increase, due to being the Top Dawg so to speak as far as outside backers go. Also, Clowney is one of the best, if not the best run stopping outside backer in football! That's a scary thought! A Jets defense that's already stout against the run, adding a piece that could put us in play to be best run defense in league, and also bolster our pass rush. I think it could be a great fit. Just need to make sure his injury history, and laziness don't follow.

What are your thoughts GREENBEAN? I love reading your stuff, and your thoughts, and opinions are usually very well thought out, and to me, spot on. Thanks GREENBEAN!

• Upvote 2

You know, I couldnt agree more. I'm definitely concerned with his injury history, and lack of production. Like you said, if he couldn't do it with J.J., and others on that D line, than how the hell is he going to help us. In the passing game anyway. We can stop the run already, we need to get to QB, and put him on the ground.

As far as draft, again, I agree 100%. Surprise! Lol. I actually wouldn't mind going Tackle in rd.1, and double dipping in O line with a center in Rd. 2 if available. Then I'm thinking 2 receivers. Or receiver, then RB? Then like you said, 2021 draft go edge rd.1, then load up on CB's. 

I love how J.D. is handling free agency. Blue collar, value guys. Great contracts that pretty much he's able to get out of after year 1. Finally a guy who talks about building through draft, and sticking to it! 

Well, I hope you stay safe with all this corona sh*t GREENBEAN, im in South Florida and been out of work for 3 weeks, almost month. It sucks. At least we have our health though. Stay safe brother, I know sh*t is a battle zone back up north. One of my cousins on LI actually tested positive. Luckily, he's doing ok. Thanks as always for the feedback bro! Appreciate it!

Eddie

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Thanks for the kind words. I actually lived in S Florida for 13 years. Moved up to VA 2 1/2 yrs ago. Hollywood and Ft Lauderdale specifically.  I had to get out of there. lol  I still have plenty of good friends there though. 

Yeah man,  Its very possible that the guys JD is signing don't work out on the field, but I do like the mindset behind it.  Jack Conklin was the guy I really wanted in FA and thought it would be ok for him to be the one splashier signing. That didn't happen obviously and I didn't like it one bit.  

That said, I like the way JD came out of that first day with signing Lewis, Fant McGovern, Poole etc. I see a pattern and a the building of a unit which I'm on board for. 

JD just might be the real deal. More time is needed but it's nice to see someone who actually knows the game in charge. It's crazy how long it's been since we've had that. 

That's crazy BEAN! I lived in Lauderdale for years also. Nob hill & sunset strip. I know what you mean, it's ******* crazy down there now. I'm up in royal palm beach now. I live it here. Funny your in VA. Now. I left Florida in 2005 for about 4 years and went to the panhandle of WV. I was about 2.5hrs from Chantilly Va.

I thought Conklin would have been a good signing, bit the guy I really wanted was Thuney! Figures the Evil empire wouldn't just let him hit free agency. They'd rather tag him, and trade him to make sure we can't possibly have a shot. Conklin would have been my go to after the tagging for sure, although I'm not overly impressed with his pass blocking. Love his run blocking though. He's a Mauler! 

That being said, since we made zero splash, I'm happy with the contracts, and commitments made, and also the type of players he's bringing in. All blue collar, lunchbox totting, hard working guys brought in. I especially liked the Conner McGovern move at center (not to be confused with UFC star Conner McGregor).. like how I threw that in there BEAN? Lmao. Anyway, I think Conner brings leadership, and some consistency, that we've been lacking since Mangold left. I like the upside on Fant. His athletic ability being the main reason. He might not traditionaly be what you want in a left tackle, but Adam Gase calling plays means using that athletic ability. To me this was the best possible fit for Fant at left tackle in football. I like the work ethic on the kid we signed from the Panthers too! I think overall, were going to have a much improved line. I honestly do. Pool, and Lewis signings were big to me also. Especially Pool. He was great last year, and I can't believe the number we were able to bring him back on. That was a real shocker to me. Lewis was a nice depth move imo.

I have to say, I'm a believer so far in JD. I know we have long way to go, but past GM's ****ed up by now the last 10 years or so. I love how Joe has a price point he's willing to spend on guys, and he will not budge from it for anyone almost it seems.... And I'm OK with that. If guys don't work out this year, he can easily move on, and we will also have a sh*t ton of cap space next year, which is huge because we gotta lock up Jamal, and we could also get Sam extended depending on this year. If Joe D can hit at a fairly  high percentage In draft, I think we finally found our golden ticket to being a contending team year in and year out. I have to say though, I like the way it's shaking out so far

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

CONNOR MCGREGGOR!   I was a prisoner to that one for a while there lol 

I love McGovern. he was one of the guys I wanted from early on. In truth I also like the idea of bringing in a young Center and letting the real competition happen for every OL position. If Mcgreggor is a better fit at G while the kid is a better fit at C, we can do that. Even Harrison is versatile enough to play both G spots in addition to C. This is the most versatile line we've had in forever and it's just starting to be built. The best at the position wins. No more of this BS where the least sucky guy who can play a single position wins. Think about it. McGovern and Harrison can both play C and both G spots. Van Roten and Lewis can play both G spots. Fant can play both T spots, and as a legitTE in a max protection kind of thing. Edoga can technically play both T spots but should never be on the left side again. But he can also play C.  This line is friggin versatile! 

So the thing about the contract structure is a positive, but I'm obviously hoping they actually work out and we don't have to get rid of these guys after one season. Fant included.  I'd rather have a crew together for a few years. 

One of the cool little X factors for these signings is that McGovern and Van Roten actually WANTED to play here. While that's not some sort of end all, it is a positive and a rarity quite frankly. Getting guys that want to play for the NY Jets specifically is something that will add to the culture and positive atmosphere if not desire to win.  Hopefully this is the beginning of a whole lot more of that. 

yeah man, I HAD to get out of Florida. It was killing me. hahaha Glad you took a stroll up north. :) 

Conner McGregor LMFAO, that was truley awesome BEAN. Hey, in truth bro, you took it like a champ, and came back with redemption! 

About the I line, you make a truly fantastic point, an important point, and this is huge for our team. I totally wiffed on mentioning this, but hey, this is why I bounce my ideas, and thoughts off of you. Lol. This fact can't be understated given the outcome of record number of injured reserve players. If we had the options last year that we would have this year if injury's occur, would have been priceless (and I'm sure Sam would have appreciated it). 

I think my favorite signing of our free agency is Conner McGovern. When I think of a blue collar, go to work every day, grind, type of guy, I honestly think of McGovern. Van Roten also is someone who I see as my type of guy. Grinder, puts the time in, nothing ever handed to him. I really like these two signings. Now, let's get to the fact you made about them both wanting to be here.... In my honest opinion, this is something that we overlook, and take for granted way to often. Every year you have guys come in who don't necessarily want to be here, but couldnt turn down our typical, overpriced, absurd, off the wall contracts that we throw them to be here. When those guys don't fully buy in, and trust In the team, and building process, we will never win. Ever. It can't be understated how huge it is that both guys wanted to be in NY, and how important it is to have 2 more guys on Sam's O line who are fully committed, and driven to being here. 

Getting away from the O line BEAN, I'm curious of what you think about the team friendly deal we were able to get Pool back on? I gotta be honest, I didn't see this coming ever! I was shocked to see us getting him back on the terms we did. Outstanding by JD. In Pools eyes, I guess he figures another year to prove it wasn't fluke year, then next off-season should net him a fat contract. Especially if he puts up numbers like last year. 

As always BEAN, it's a pleasure to talk, and bounce ideas, and thoughts off you. I think you have a great outlook on our team, great understanding of value, and understanding of the nuiances of the game. I definitely come to believe that we probably see eye, to eye on alot if stuff here. It's awesome to have In depth conversation with good, knowledgeable people. If your ever down this way during Jets/dolphin game, hit me up and catch a game with us. It would be awesome to meet the man behind the profile pic. 😁

• Upvote 1