Any interest in Dave DeGuglielmo - offensive line coach?

Maxman

The Jets have to change something on the coaching staff. The line seems like a good place to start. DeGuglielmo coached under Coughlin and Belichick so he would be used to the excellence that Gase brings on the daily.

DeGuglielmo left UCF within a month, joining the New York Giants staff under head coach Tom Coughlin whom he had served as a graduate assistant at Boston College 13 years earlier. In his tenure, the Giants made the playoffs four consecutive years, won Super Bowl XLII, and set a franchise record for rushing yards (2,518) and yards per carry (5.0) in 2008.[4] Afterwards, he held the same job for the Miami Dolphins; in 2011 the Dolphins rushed for 1,987 yards in what was also Reggie Bush's first 1,000-yard season. DeGuglielmo was named the New York Jets' offensive line coach on January 24, 2012.[5] He was fired on February 5, 2013, and spent the 2013 football season as a football analyst for Clear Channel Radio's Sports Talk First Edition, on 560 AM WVOC in Columbia, SC.[6]

On January 22, 2014, the New England Patriots announced they had hired DeGuglielmo as the new offensive line coach to replace Dante Scarnecchia, who retired after 30 years with the team; DeGuglielmo had a preliminary agreement to serve as offensive line coach at University of Maryland six days prior to the Patriots' announcement.[7] DeGuglilemo won a second Super Bowl ring in the Patriots' Super Bowl XLIX win over the Seattle Seahawks. The offensive line fared worse in 2015, and was ravaged with injuries, including a season-ending injury to left tackle Nate Solder. He was fired by the Patriots on January 25, 2016, one day after the Patriots' offensive line "collapse[d]"[8] in the AFC Championship Game against the Denver Broncos.

On July 29, 2019, just four days into training camp, the Miami Dolphins dismissed offensive line coach Pat Flaherty and named DeGuglielmo to the position. DeGuglielmo had previously been hired as a team analyst.[9]

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Didn't we have him before, and he lasted less than a year?

Give Pollack another year with upgraded talent. He has had success in the past.

I thought he was here but I can't remember when. Four teams in four years going into this year. Not a good sign.

He was hired in Indy by McDaniels and fired a year later because Joshy didn't take the job.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I thought he was here but I can't remember when. Four teams in four years going into this year. Not a good sign.

He was hired in Indy by McDaniels and fired a year later because Joshy didn't take the job.

Yeah he was here and stroooongly hated by a lot of people in the building during his time on the staff.  Great coach, but rubs people the wrong way.  Most known for this presser where he expressed an issue with Rex and blasted the media:

Screenshot_20191231-033819.thumb.png.b071e51f0bc48d0b2ee565442d88c25a.png

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 11:35 PM, mrcoops said:

Didn't we have him before, and he lasted less than a year?

Give Pollack another year with upgraded talent. He has had success in the past.

This is what Frank Pollack had to work with....and look at the % of snap counts for guys who most would consider not very good players or developmental players.

Snap counts for the entire season for OL....

172227831_ScreenShot2020-01-20at8_10_57PM.png.0d5b224ea6c033c350f6fb6a83d75b34.png

• Post of the Week 1

On 12/31/2019 at 2:19 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

While were at it, can we sh*tcan Dowell Logjams and hire Shurmur as OC? Not a good HC but a solid OC. 

If Loggains, upon meeting him for the very first time, told you he was involved in football, on ANY level, you wouldn’t believe him.  Because there is no way the guy EVER played football.  Would have to have been the LAST guy picked on a city street pick up game.

32nd and LAST ranked Offense in the NFL and ZERO heads roll. Gase is not getting fired, so Loggains has to go, just to send a message about accountability,  It’s just un-f**ckin-believable..You know why?

”NY Jets Mom & Pop Shop”....Open since the day Leon Hess bought the team until this very day...On vacation the short period Bill Parcells coached”...

Organization enveloped by at the very best mediocrity with must also be just many flat out stupid people employed there.  With Mike Maccagnan the Poster Child for it all.....and they ALL play CYA...the worst being GMs who draft “scared” because currently the Jets have the least intelligent owners in the NFL.  There is no debating that fact.

I remember a really good quote from one of DrZ's columns once in which he talked to I think Ron Wolf about oline coaches.  Wolf said "Never ever trust the oline coach to tell you about whether his players can play because every single one I have ever seen thinks he can coach up lousy players to be decent and can get by."

• Sympathy 1

On 12/31/2019 at 3:41 AM, jetsons said:

I'll stick with Pollack.

Of all the units on the team, the OL was the most challenged from a standpoint of inherited talent and in-season health.

The 6-2 finish only happens because Pollack coached his ass off and got 4 of 5 guys playing out of position and in major relief duty to play better as the season progressed.  I think he's a keeper.  If he can coach that ragtag group to some modicum of success, imagine what he can do with some drafted players and some talented FA's.

SAR I

25 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

32nd and LAST ranked Offense in the NFL and ZERO heads roll. Gase is not getting fired, so Loggains has to go, just to send a message about accountability,  It’s just un-f**ckin-believable..You know why?

sameight.jpg

Did anyone tell you that the Jets finished 6-2 and Sam Darnold had 15 TD's, 3 INT's, and a QBR that was 10th in the league in the back half of the season?

No one is getting fired on the offensive side of the ball.  They coached their asses off against tremendous odds and had the second best record in the NFL.  No one quit when the team was 1-7.  Injuries didn't improve.  The roster got worse.  The coaching got better. 

SAR I

• Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

sameight.jpg

Did anyone tell you that the Jets finished 6-2 and Sam Darnold had 15 TD's, 3 INT's, and a QBR that was 10th in the league in the back half of the season?

No one is getting fired on the offensive side of the ball.  They coached their asses off against tremendous odds and had the second best record in the NFL.  No one quit when the team was 1-7.  Injuries didn't improve.  The roster got worse.  The coaching got better. 

SAR I

You make a very good point, I just got caught up with that 32nd ranking that includes lots of Luke Falk data, for a moment.

I’m also the biggest Darnold fan out there.

Im the one who projected a string of 30+ point games out of Darnold before last season started, with a good portion of that reasoning being he’d now be free from the Bowles regime.  I just never imagined the OL would be that putrid and historically bad (2019 Jet OL one of only 3 in NFL history giving up 50+ Sacks and not having a running game that eclipsed 3.5 yards a carry) to the extent it made Darnold run for his life so much of the time...the SAME way it did for his Rookie season.

Will be much fairer to evaluate EVERYONE (Loggains, Gase, and especially Sam Darnold) if the Jets are lucky enough to have Douglas get some REAL NFL talent to surround Darnold.

And there actually were a number of 30+ point games put up by Darnold even when playing with the unit he was forced to play with again.  More than I can remember...for a long time.

I stand by an earlier statement I made.  I’m not sure Mark Sanchez would have won 2 games in 2 years playing with what they gave Darnold, much less put up any 30 point games.

• Post of the Week 1

On 12/31/2019 at 7:36 AM, jeremy2020 said:

they just spent a year stubbornly forcing a blocking scheme on players who couldn't play it...why mess with success? 

Seriously, maybe they'll get some lineman who can play it this time around. 

is there any indication this group can learn to block any blocking scheme?  i agree to a point about having the schemes fit the players but this group has been pretty patchwork for quite some time.

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

sameight.jpg

SAR I

we all know the jet offense this past season wasn't a juggernaut but to judge them fairly you need to remove those 3 games with falk and semian at qb.  take those games away and then take away the bottom 3 games of every other team and do the comparison.  i will bet they will fall somewhere in the low 20's.

one point to take away about darnold (and almost every qb) is that the team plays much better if the pass attempts can be limited to about 30 per game.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 12/31/2019 at 1:55 AM, Maxman said:

He was here in 2012 under Rex and Sporano.  

Don't remember the details but assuming he came with Sporano and left with him?

7 hours ago, rangerous said:

is there any indication this group can learn to block any blocking scheme?  i agree to a point about having the schemes fit the players but this group has been pretty patchwork for quite some time.

We don't even have to guess...mostly the same group performed better the prior year..prior to the season starting it was commonly expected that the talent was "better" this year. 

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

We don't even have to guess...mostly the same group performed better the prior year..prior to the season starting it was commonly expected that the talent was "better" this year. 

it was commonly accepted but that just shows how fickle assumptions can be.  osemele turned out to be a slug and kalil wasn't able to come back after he 'retired'.

On 12/31/2019 at 1:55 AM, Maxman said:

It is rare that I have strong feelings about assistants, but I had pretty low opinions of both Pollack and DeGuglielmo.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, SAR I said:

sameight.jpg

SAR I

We could listen to what you tell us, or we could count ourselves.  The stats you post have 4 INTs and 13 TDs.  You got the 6-2 correct, but I can't say I am confident in your other "facts."