Mock 2020 drafts thread

Jetster

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

How is Epenesa going to test at the Combine? He’s sitting there at 11-12 in every mock right now and I keep thinking he’d be the guy if the big OTs are off the board.

One thing I've learned over the years since most of us posted on another board is that guys like @Lith, @sec101row23, and @HawkeyeJet, are extremely honest when they post about their favorite teams players transitioning to the NFL.

They never sugarcoat it and if anything they sell their players short at times. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, RobR said:

One thing I've learned over the years since most of us posted on another board is that guys like @Lith, @sec101row23, and @HawkeyeJet, are extremely honest when they post about their favorite teams players transitioning to the NFL.

They never sugarcoat it and if anything they sell their players short at times. 

Kind of like me and @CrazyCarl40 when we talk about ND players lol

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Pry Costanzo away from the Colts with lots of $$$$$$ and then look to the draft for the new RT.  Andrew Thomas will be gone, hence the need for Costanzo at LT,  but either Wills or Wirfs will be there.  Costanzo at LT and Wills or Wirfs at RT.  

I need to add here... I DONT like Wills as a LT, but I do love him as an elite RT.  

Wirfs, IMHO, due to his excellent feet and flexibility can transition well to LT with good coaching.  

I would keep Harrison as the starting center.  The last few games he was playing quality ball.  

Then, you draft one or two inside offensive lineman and let them slug it out in camp with the current bunch for the RG and LG positions.

If they cant land Costanzo (and they can if they are ready to break the bank and they should), I would prefer they draft Wirfs and get him transitioned to the left side.  Perhaps put Beachum on the right side, or see what else shakes out in FA or the draft.

Any way you slice it, they MUST add an elite talent at LT either through FA with Costanzo or the draft with Wirfs

Why would you throw money at a guy on the wrong side of 30 this will end up looking like the Khalil thing all over again.Draft Wirfs or an equivalent or trade Jamal Adam's for a young OT stud. Need to build a young OL that can be a complete unit to gel over the long term plugging old guys in will give them a repeat of what happened this season.

• Upvote 2

If you look at the whole Mock it makes sense. Okudah will be picked, Brown is a top DT, Simmons is a beast LB, Jeudy & Lamb are special WRs, he's got 3 QBs off the board in Burrow, Tua, Herbert. Pass rushers are premium & you could see a couple come off the board & bam...pick 11 

Thomas isn’t getting past Cleveland IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He’s probably not going to last that long. Wirfs or Willis might not make it past Cleveland. 

As long as one of Wirfs, Thomas or Wills makes it past Cleveland, that will work for me.  If they are all gone, then I would be happy with a Lamb or Jeudy at 11.  Although, if that happens, we might have to think about packaging one of our 3s with our 2 to move into the end of the first to make sure we get a starting caliber OT.  If we miss out on the top 3 OTs at 11, I don't think we can afford to sit at 48 and wait to see if Leatherwood/Jackson/Niang/Wanogho, etc are still available.  We may have to go up and get our guy.

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinion at least a dozen times between now and April.

38 minutes ago, Lith said:

As long as one of Wirfs, Thomas or Wills makes it past Cleveland, that will work for me.  If they are all gone, then I would be happy with a Lamb or Jeudy at 11.  Although, if that happens, we might have to think about packaging one of our 3s with our 2 to move into the end of the first to make sure we get a starting caliber OT.  If we miss out on the top 3 OTs at 11, I don't think we can afford to sit at 48 and wait to see if Leatherwood/Jackson/Niang/Wanogho, etc are still available.  We may have to go up and get our guy.

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinion at least a dozen times between now and April.

I wonder if Gase thinks Chuma Edoga has a lick of potential anymore or if they're done with him completely. He was one of the worst Jets players I've ever seen, but he's allegedly talented, so does that buy him one more go-round? Pauline suggested on the Cimini podcast that Edoga had some personal/mental issues that caused him to drop, however. It'd really be something to eject both third rounders within a year of their draft day.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

McCagnan is gone and Gase is still here.  So we have a 50% chance of hope in this next draft.

For some strange reason, I have faith in Gase as far as draft personnel goes, even though I hate him as a coach. If the reports are true about 2019 draft and FA disagreements with McCagnen, seems like he gets how to build a team. Just not how to coach it 

19 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

11. Jets - Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama, 6' 1" / 192 lbs

Robby Anderson could be headed for free agency, and even if he returns (he's reportedly looking for something north of $10 million a year ... and he's definitely earned that) adding Jeudy still makes a lot of sense. The best receiver on Alabama's roster, Jeudy is an elite route runner who would make life immeasurably easier for Sam Darnold in New York.

With the number 11 pick Jets replace their number 11.

J E U D Y …. JEUDY JEUDY JEUDY!

I figured out who he reminds me of:

He's a lankier and flashier Marvin Harrison. 

A surgeon in route running and would fit perfectly in Gase's precision passing scheme. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

I wonder if Gase thinks Chuma Edoga has a lick of potential anymore or if they're done with him completely. He was one of the worst Jets players I've ever seen, but he's allegedly talented, so does that buy him one more go-round? Pauline suggested on the Cimini podcast that Edoga had some personal/mental issues that caused him to drop, however. It'd really be something to eject both third rounders within a year of their draft day.

That's actually something I've been thinking about a lot recently too.  What is the internal evaluation on Edoga?  Whatever the answer is to that is a pretty important decision going into this off-season.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Well, we can cross off Anger/Aggressiveness off the list. Seriously, I bet they try to move him inside to G.

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That's actually something I've been thinking about a lot recently too.  What is the internal evaluation on Edoga?  Whatever the answer is to that is a pretty important decision going into this off-season.

They didn't seem to thirsty to get him back on the field after week 12, and they were starting guys off the street in Week 17. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

Why would you throw money at a guy on the wrong side of 30 this will end up looking like the Khalil thing all over again.Draft Wirfs or an equivalent or trade Jamal Adam's for a young OT stud. Need to build a young OL that can be a complete unit to gel over the long term plugging old guys in will give them a repeat of what happened this season.

It’s worth the squeeze.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I figured out who he reminds me of:

He's a lankier and flashier Marvin Harrison. 

A surgeon in route running and would fit perfectly in Gase's precision passing scheme. 

Unless something unknown comes out causing him to drop...noway he makes it to 11. 

There should be one OT available for us when we pick. I think it’s almost a lock we go OT in Round 1.

We're not in a great draft position for a trade down. At most probably it would be a team trading up for a specific player willing to give up a 3rd or a 4th round pick to move up. But the Jets need two good Oline prospects out of this draft. Although if we let Robby walk they might use the 1st round pick for a Wr. We'll see if there's a market for Robby and if Gase still wants him around. Gase is not a believer in overpaying for skill position players. If so he's probably right.

21 hours ago, Green Truth said:

Castonzo at the moment is considering retirement.  He is 31 and it really comes down to how much more does he want to play.  Anytime I hear a player considering retirement,  his love for the game may be gone.

https://fox59.com/2019/12/30/its-going-to-be-a-decision-i-make-colts-anthony-castonzo-says-retirement-is-an-option/

Someone famous, might have been Parcells said,"If they're thinking about retirement....they're ALREADY retired", so Pass on Costonzo....very similar to a Gil Brandt-ism (hopefully someone in the Jet FO is reading this post, because the pure Idiots the Jets have had all over their FO for too long probably never heard this quote and it projects to be true a huge amount of the time)....

"Injured players drafted tend to get injured at the highest level and stupid players stay stupid at the highest level"...so you DON'T draft them.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I don't know about the 'mental' issues but I do know that Edoga came in as a developmental prospect from the sense that it was clear that he needed to get stronger for the NFL. Athletically, however, he has all the tools. And that is exactly what I saw when he played this season. He struggled against the bull rush and blocking in the run game mightily. But he was very good against the speed edge rushers who mostly tried to go around him. Pretty much the opposite of Shell, who lacks athleticism but has good strength. 

All this and the fact that Edoga had opportunities to start at RT and LT before injury tells me that the Jets see potential and expect him to get stronger and improve in 2020, probably compete for the RT spot. With the current state of the Jets O-line I see no reason to get rid of Edoga, who is on a rookie contract and definitely has shown flashes. 

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He was thrown all over the OL. Tough for a rookie. Think itd be good to keep for depth and development. 

I’m pretty certain they’ll be moving on from Shell though. 

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I don't know about the 'mental' issues but I do know that Edoga came in as a developmental prospect from the sense that it was clear that he needed to get stronger for the NFL. Athletically, however, he has all the tools. And that is exactly what I saw when he played this season. He struggled against the bull rush and blocking in the run game mightily. But he was very good against the speed edge rushers who mostly tried to go around him. Pretty much the opposite of Shell, who lacks athleticism but has good strength. 

All this and the fact that Edoga had opportunities to start at RT and LT before injury tells me that the Jets see potential and expect him to get stronger and improve in 2020, probably compete for the RT spot. With the current state of the Jets O-line I see no reason to get rid of Edoga, who is on a rookie contract and definitely has shown flashes. 

I guess, but I don’t think you can pencil him in as a starter just yet. He was so bad from what I saw. You bring him in as a backup and let him try to beat out a Tom Compton type to stick on the roster at all. If he works in the offseason, that’ll be apparent early on

Just now, T0mShane said:

I guess, but I don’t think you can pencil him in as a starter just yet. He was so bad from what I saw. You bring him in as a backup and let him try to beat out a Tom Compton type to stick on the roster at all. If he works in the offseason, that’ll be apparent early on

Exactly, you keep him around and let him compete. I have zero confidence in Edoga. And there is no way I see him playing OG. I want to draft 2 OTs, one as a blue chip LT one whos more versatile to play RT or potentially get kicked inside to play OG. Unless we get a chance to draft Biadasz (and depending on how FA pans out) I'm looking to draft two OTs with our first 4 picks. Like I said, one of whom has some versatility to move inside if needed. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

He was thrown all over the OL. Tough for a rookie. Think itd be good to keep for depth and development. 

I’m pretty certain they’ll be moving on from Shell though. 

I agree RE: Shell. He has had the starts and time to show what he can do and he has not been able to be a competent starter. To me, its clear that he does not have the athleticism to handle speedy edge rushers. He routinely lets guys go around him b/c he can't keep up with them. He's decent when he goes up against slower, bull rush type defenders. But when he faces someone with a half decent speed move, he is toast. More than anyone else he has gotten Sam nearly killed this year. Its not something you can teach or improve that much upon either. On top of that he is a FA. Shell is gone.