Mock 2020 drafts thread

Jetster

I am interested to see the final individual league rankings of our lineman.  We had so combinations it was hard to see who was effective for any given amount of time.  It will be interesting to see just how many players are purged from the roster after evaluations.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I wonder if Gase thinks Chuma Edoga has a lick of potential anymore or if they're done with him completely. He was one of the worst Jets players I've ever seen, but he's allegedly talented, so does that buy him one more go-round? Pauline suggested on the Cimini podcast that Edoga had some personal/mental issues that caused him to drop, however. It'd really be something to eject both third rounders within a year of their draft day.

He should at least be in the mix; at least compete for a spot.  Gotta hope after a full offseason in an NFL program, that he looks like a different player next year.  But we certainly can't count on him to start.  If he proves that he can, it is an added bonus.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I agree RE: Shell. He has had the starts and time to show what he can do and he has not been able to be a competent starter. To me, its clear that he does not have the athleticism to handle speedy edge rushers. He routinely lets guys go around him b/c he can't keep up with them. He's decent when he goes up against slower, bull rush type defenders. But when he faces someone with a half decent speed move, he is toast. More than anyone else he has gotten Sam nearly killed this year. Its not something you can teach or improve that much upon either. On top of that he is a FA. Shell is gone. 

Yep, too many time so he’s gotten beat bad causing Sam to get smacked blind. RT is just as important as LT now. Funny cuz I think Macc was looking to extend Shell.  

Idk about the prospects but I’d figure maybe keep Beachum at LT now, have the rookie start at RT. Then switch over the following year. Or something like that lol. 

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

I am interested to see the final individual league rankings of our lineman.  We had so combinations it was hard to see who was effective for any given amount of time.  It will be interesting to see just how many players are purged from the roster after evaluations.

Looking at PFF, they actually had Kalil (35th ranked C) ranked ahead of Harrison (37).  Not sure what games they were watching.

They had Beachum and Shell ranked ranked 43 & 53 among tackles. (Edoga was 81 out of 83 ranked tackles)  And Winters as our highest ranked guard at 37 ahead of Lewis and Compton.

Not one lineman in the top 32 for his position group.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Looking at PFF, they actually had Kalil (35th ranked C) ranked ahead of Harrison (37).  Not sure what games they were watching.

They had Beachum and Shell ranked ranked 43 & 53 among tackles. (Edoga was 81 out of 83 ranked tackles)  And Winters as our highest ranked guard at 37 ahead of Lewis and Compton.

I never know how to put PFF rankings in context since they always low rate our players.  I can't tell if it's a bias or if we really are that sh*tty.

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Harrison is such an interesting case because, to the naked eye, he looks fine, but PFF always hates him and (as @#27TheDominator pointed out) he’s bounced around a bit. The one position we heard Gase want a serious upgrade for was at center, which led to the rift with Maccagnan and ended up with Kalil. You’d think it’ll be a point of emphasis for Douglas this offseason 

• Sympathy 1

Here's an interesting take.  No pick is absurd and Thomas falls to 11.  They do have CLE taking Jackson ahead of Thomas, but between now and the draft, so much can change that it's entirely possible.  And even if they took Thomas, we could have our pick of Jackson, Wirfs and Jeudy.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-mock-draft-2020-dolphins-panthers-bengals-cowboys-raiders-redskins-lions/4hf53r8awx571nr4v1xr4k4cp

On 12/31/2019 at 9:50 AM, Jetster said:

How long is Solders contract? Plus, the Giants are scoring points but their defense is TERRIBLE! They would have beaten the Eagles if they had Okudah. Okudah is a stud CB. I do agree about Cards & Browns (Especially the Browns) but the Cardinals are another team with an awful defense that can't stop the run & Chandler Jones isn't getting any younger. So this could be Edge, Brown or Simmons? It's going to be interesting & there will be either a stud LT or WR falling to that 11 spot. 

I don't think Gettleman will pick OL, after all he's smarter than every other GM. An old school guy like Gettleman might take a middle LB.

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Here's an interesting take.  No pick is absurd and Thomas falls to 11.  They do have CLE taking Jackson ahead of Thomas, but between now and the draft, so much can change that it's entirely possible.  And even if they took Thomas, we could have our pick of Jackson, Wirfs and Jeudy.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-mock-draft-2020-dolphins-panthers-bengals-cowboys-raiders-redskins-lions/4hf53r8awx571nr4v1xr4k4cp

Besides Burrow and Chase having some fairly firm stock at this point - everything else is fluid. The tackles, receivers, DBs etc etc 

theres at least 5-6 super significant and important events on the horizon that will impact franchise evaluations. 

teams have literally not finished their talent grading yet. 

• Upvote 1

Harrison is an interesting player to me.  I think he could be the 5th best OL on a decent OL, but at Guard not Center.  I watch him at Center and notice how often he gets caught off balance after snapping the ball.  He's got such a powerful base it always surprises me.  It makes me wonder if his reflexes are just a fraction slow to handle the position.  

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

Most mocks have Wills as a top 15 pick, in this mock he isn't even in the 1st rd. ?

33 minutes ago, section314 said:

Eason and the Navy kid Perry, but not as a QB.

Eason is a great choice.  Size, arm strength and supposedly a great kid; teammates at Georgia loved the commtiment he showed to the team in practice after he was beat out by Fromm a couple of years ago.  He will probably ace his interviews.  Eason coulld be a guy to rise through the pre-draft process.

• Upvote 2

On 12/31/2019 at 1:22 PM, Green Truth said:

Castonzo at the moment is considering retirement.  He is 31 and it really comes down to how much more does he want to play.  Anytime I hear a player considering retirement,  his love for the game may be gone.

https://fox59.com/2019/12/30/its-going-to-be-a-decision-i-make-colts-anthony-castonzo-says-retirement-is-an-option/

No more high priced FA's that are over 30 yrs old and may just be trying for a final big paycheck and will just mail it in. Draft well and pay our proven players and pick up a FA after their rookie deal.

I know it’s pre-free agency, but as it stands right now, I count at least 5 teams picking ahead of us who could absolutely be in the market for an OT.

And that’s discounting Washington, who I think is probably a lock to take Chase Young at #2.

But the Giants, Dolphins, Chargers, Cardinals and Browns all need one. Hell, you could argue Detroit could be in the mix as well with how beat up Stafford has been the last 2 years.

I don’t think it’s even remotely close to a lock that one of Thomas, Wills or Wirfs falls to us.

I actually think it’s more likely that we end up choosing between one of the top wideouts like Lamb and an EDGE like Epenesa if we stay at #11.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, PepPep said:

Thanks, 

Would not mind Jeudy or Lamb either. And in this scenario Wirfs, Wills and Thomas are gone. However, I doubt only one QB goes ahead of the Jets. If that is the case, there might be an opportunity for a trad down. The Dolphins, selecting at 18 and loaded with draft capital may want to jump the Colts at 13 (who could very well want a QB as well) for Herbert. 

Then the question is- do you take a trade down with the Dolphins to select at 18 and lose out on Jeudy? Tough decision for JD.  

What would the Jets get in return, if it was a 2nd or high 3rd JD should jump at the trade. Jets have *many* needs and could use the extra pick.

36 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I know it’s pre-free agency, but as it stands right now, I count at least 5 teams picking ahead of us who could absolutely be in the market for an OT.

And that’s discounting Washington, who I think is probably a lock to take Chase Young at #2.

But the Giants, Dolphins, Chargers, Cardinals and Browns all need one. Hell, you could argue Detroit could be in the mix as well with how beat up Stafford has been the last 2 years.

I don’t think it’s even remotely close to a lock that one of Thomas, Wills or Wirfs falls to us.

I actually think it’s more likely that we end up choosing between one of the top wideouts like Lamb and an EDGE like Epenesa if we stay at #11.

If Epenesa and Chaisson blow up their drills at the Combine, it could push a few OL down the ladder to us. I think we’re seeing so many OTs in the top ten right now because their evaluations are easier and more static, so the Matt Millers and Todd McShays of the world feel safe projecting them high while discounting other positions that require an actual scouting acumen to assess. Some of those OL will “drop” and a few EDGE players, QBs, and CBs will suddenly “rise up the charts” as more information comes out 

2 minutes ago, King P said:

So it's being reported that Trent Williams is now willing to return to Washington now that Bruce Allen and the coaching/medical staff have been fired.

I'm keeping an eye on that, because it may have an effect on how the draft plays out

I don’t think it will have a big effect.  I think OL was gonna be the top priority in the draft regardless.  It’s possible to go WR if Lamb or Jeudy fall 

4 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I don’t think it will have a big effect.  I think OL was gonna be the top priority in the draft regardless.  It’s possible to go WR if Lamb or Jeudy fall 

I know that.

I'm saying it could have an effect on which players get picked before us.

If Williams wasn't coming back, then there's a chance Washington takes Thomas at 2. But If Trent comes back, Chase Young is a lock at 2 and the run on OL doesn't start as early and how teams pick could be different

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Mock-Draft/2020-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round-1.asp

Drafttek (Updated Dec. 30th) has the Jets PASSING on Wirfs and Lamb and taking A.Jackson- OT, USC

Bengals- Burrow

Wash- Young

Det- Brown

NYG- A.Thomas

Miami- Okudah

Chargers- Herbert

Carolina- Jeudy

Arizona- Epenesa

Jax- Simmons

CLE- Wills

NYJ- A.Jackson

Raiders- Lamb

Colts- Leatherwood

Tampa- Wirfs

*I don't agree with this mock. I don't see Wirfs falling this far or being taken after Leatherwood an Jackson. But one thing I have noticed is that at 11 almost every mock has the Jets having the chance to draft a top WR or OT prospect, which should be great news for Jet fans. 

Walterfootball has the Jets taking Mekhi Becton-OT despite Lamb, Wills and Wirfs being on the board. 

https://www.walterfootball.com/draft2020.php

Cincy- Burrows

Was- Young

Det- Okudah

NYG- Jeudy

Miami- Tua

Chargers- Herbert

Panthers- Brown

Cards- A.Thomas

Jax- Simmons

Browns- A.Jackson

Jets- Mekhi Becton- OT

Raiders- Lamb

*Highly unlikely this happens. Becton would have to blow up the combine and rocket up draft boards to get selected this high.