Is Miami poised to become the new powerhouse in AFC east

Rhg1084

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

They certainly have plenty of ammo in the draft.  I think the biggest is things is that despite clearly tanking at the beginning of the season they quickly changed course and played well once Tua got hurt 

This is what bugs me lately with so many NFL analysts saying they were not tanking.  Um, yes, they most certainly well at the beginning of the season.  They just decided to change corse for some reason, whether it be Tua’s injury or pressure from the league.

• WTF? 1

Miami is in the most enviable position for sustained long term success out of all the team in AFC east. A million high draft picks to go along with a ton of cap space. Flores gets to build the team the way he wants, and I trust they will be successful. Not saying they will win the division next year but in 2 years I fully expect them to be a force to reckon with 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

This is what bugs me lately with so many NFL analysts saying they were not tanking.  Um, yes, they most certainly well at the beginning of the season.  They just decided to change corse for some reason, whether it be Tua’s injury or pressure from the league.

Oh they certainly were tanking.  They were trading Away players for picks and clearly wanted the top pick.  The second Tua got that big injury all of a sudden they were playing well and winning 

• Upvote 2

I think it's a stretch to think they're "poised to become a powerhouse" just because they have a lot of draft picks, but certainly if they hit on them there's potential.

They'd currently be 3rd or 4th in my long term AFC East projections though. Ross is a terrible owner and that's not a franchise that deserves the benefit of the doubt.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Why because they have a bunch of drafts picks?  Lets see them hit on one or two first round picks for a change before crowning them. 

As the Cleveland Browns have shown, tearing things down and accumulating draft picks is not a guaranteed recipe for success.

Well said! Let’s not be delusional about the Dolphins because of three first rounders and a pretty decent coach. We can’t crown Flores as some great coach after one year! You need to see consistency from him like everyone else. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Miami seems like they’re in a great spot. Flores should honesty get coach of the year considerations with the job he did down there. They have 3 first round picks in this upcoming draft, plus a ton of cap space. I see this team doing a quick rebuild and becoming a force to reckon with. Curious to see if the go the Tua route

This was less of a statement for Flores and more of a statement for Ryan Fitzpatrick. He did what he has done at every stop he has ever made, propel teams to a handful of wins but keep them from tanking. 

Miami's GM Chris Grier has a borderline worse draft history than Macagnan had. They may have draft picks, but they have to hit on them.

1st Laremy Tunsil -  Traded to Texans

2nd Xavien Howard - Just arrested for Assault 

3rd Kenyan Drake - Trades to Cardinals

3rd Leonte Caroo - Out of League 

1st Charles Harris - Bust, Getting let go in FA 

2nd Raekwon McMillan - Mediocre starter 

3rd Cordea Tankersly - 36 career tackles in 3 yr

1st Minkah Fitzpatrick - Traded to Steelers

2nd Mike Gesiki - Good starting TE

3rd Jerome Baker - Mediocre starter 

1st Christian Wilkins - Mediocre starter

2nd Michael Dieter - Mediocre starter 

Being Jets fans, we know fully well how this is going to play out for Grier in Miami. If he has the kind of drafts he has been having, he will be gone. 

• Upvote 1

CLE had a buttload of draft picks.  Also picked up some huge FAs.  Still waiting for the powerhouse to start there.  

Draft picks don't make a powerhouse.  Until they draft and develop a QB, they are nothing but just another team hunting for a QB.  

You want to know who's poised to be a powerhouse for the next 5 years?  KC and BAL.  Maybe BUF if Josh Allen gets a little better.  Maybe us if we fill in our roster holes.  Maybe CLE if they can figure out a way to score points again.

What's common about those five teams?  They have QBs.  MIA has a Fitzpatrick.  Not the same thing.

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Miami seems like they’re in a great spot. Flores should honesty get coach of the year considerations with the job he did down there. They have 3 first round picks in this upcoming draft, plus a ton of cap space. I see this team doing a quick rebuild and becoming a force to reckon with. Curious to see if the go the Tua route

Mangini won 10 games and made the playoffs year 1 inheriting a 4-12 team. 

Flores did a nice job but they didn't develop a young QB, they won with one of the greatest QBs of all time when games don't matter.  The belichick coaching tree, like Belichick, has been a complete failure when they don't have Brady around to save them.

They have a lot of picks, they have to make the right picks.  Picks alone don't help anyone.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Why because they have a bunch of drafts picks?  Lets see them hit on one or two first round picks for a change before crowning them. 

As the Cleveland Browns have shown, tearing things down and accumulating draft picks is not a guaranteed recipe for success.

Not just that who is the QB?. Fitz?. Haven't we all seen when games really count he turns back into the pumpkin at midnight. Even with 3 number 1 picks they can't get the only pretty much sure thing at QB in this draft which is Burrow since Cincy will want him no matter what.

• Upvote 1

Fitz is going to suck next season, and the pendulum is going to swing negative for Flores.  Because that's what happens to a lot of young HC's who have a solid first season.  And the cycle of Fitz has claimed oh so many NFL franchises.  

Remember, each of our last 4 HC's prior to Gase (Herm, Mangini, Ryan, Bowles) had 9-10 wins their first seasons.  The shine wore off very quickly after that for all 4 of them.  

Having said that, I do envy all of their draft picks.  On that front they were smart as an organization.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Everyone knows the key is draft defense, ignore Oline and waste your second round picks for twenty years.  ?

• Haha 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Fitz is going to suck next season, and the pendulum is going to swing negative for Flores.  Because that's what happens to a lot of young HC's who have a solid first season.  And the cycle of Fitz has claimed oh so many NFL franchises.  

Remember, each of our last 4 HC's prior to Gase (Herm, Mangini, Ryan, Bowles) had 9-10 wins their first seasons.  The shine wore off very quickly after that for all 4 of them.  

Having said that, I do envy all of their draft picks.  On that front they were smart as an organization.

Right....   unfukkinreal, a TRUE franchise is still willing to play a journeyman. FITZ will go to the NFL HOF as the player who stole more money from more teams than any other player. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, JTJet said:

This was less of a statement for Flores and more of a statement for Ryan Fitzpatrick. He did what he has done at every stop he has ever made, propel teams to a handful of wins but keep them from tanking. 

Miami's GM Chris Grier has a borderline worse draft history than Macagnan had. They may have draft picks, but they have to hit on them.

1st Laremy Tunsil -  Traded to Texans

2nd Xavien Howard - Just arrested for Assault 

3rd Kenyan Drake - Trades to Cardinals

3rd Leonte Caroo - Out of League 

1st Charles Harris - Bust, Getting let go in FA 

2nd Raekwon McMillan - Mediocre starter 

3rd Cordea Tankersly - 36 career tackles in 3 yr

1st Minkah Fitzpatrick - Traded to Steelers

2nd Mike Gesiki - Good starting TE

3rd Jerome Baker - Mediocre starter 

1st Christian Wilkins - Mediocre starter

2nd Michael Dieter - Mediocre starter 

Being Jets fans, we know fully well how this is going to play out for Grier in Miami. If he has the kind of drafts he has been having, he will be gone. 

They got a lot for Tunsil.  How was that a bad pick for them at # 13 overall?

Howard had 7 INT as a rookie.  At least he was talented.

Drake is having a nice career so far.  

Minkah is the truth, and they got a lot for him in a trade as well.  

Miami's GM is miles and miles better than Mike Maccagnan at drafting.  

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Draft picks don't make a powerhouse.  Until they draft and develop a QB, they are nothing but just another team hunting for a QB.  

But you have to draft the QB so.....

Isn't it smart to load up on the draft pick ammo to move up for one, where possible?

Also, we supposedly have the QB.  So why do we still suck?  Bad drafting.  If Douglas is good at drafting and we give him lots of picks, we could become good too.  

12 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Lets see....the Jets have a horrible roster. But still, I think it's much much better than Miami's. You be the judge. Jets > Dolphins. That is fcking all.

The Dolphins had a firesale to get rid of all their decent players.  That's why their roster currently sucks.  They were purposely tanking, and yet our roster is only slightly better.  

• Upvote 2

As much as I hate the fins, I'm also a realist and haven't worn a green pair of glasses in decades.  They are going to be a team that will be dangerous.  If you take off your green colored glasses for a second, with everything the Patsies had on the line this past Sunday, in their stadium, I don't see our Jets beating them like the fins did.  I'll be interested to see what Douglas and company do in beefing up the O line, WR corps and a pass rusher.  And another position that most are forgetting about, a reliable backup QB...all of ours sh*t the bed and if we had a decent one, perhaps we'd be in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They got a lot for Tunsil.  How was that a bad pick for them at # 13 overall?

Howard had 7 INT as a rookie.  At least he was talented.

Drake is having a nice career so far.  

Minkah is the truth, and they got a lot for him in a trade as well.  

Miami's GM is miles and miles better than Mike Maccagnan at drafting.  

How in the world is a player you drafted NOT being on the team anymore, a positive for the GM just because he got a return for him? 

Minkah, Drake, and Tunsil may be good but they all play for other teams.

Grier picks Minkah, Tunsil, Drake, and Howard. 

Mac picks Leo, Darnold, Adams, Lee. 

So out of those 4, 1 plays for their team still and just got arrested for battery, sure to serve suspension beginning of next year. 

Out of our 4, 2 are bright spots for the future. And one may get a bigger haul in trade than any of their players got. 

Essentially they are mirror images of each other as GMs. Hell both guys even installed Fitz as their QBs lol. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Dolphins were terrible this year, but Fitzpatrick going on one of his little fake hot streaks made them look good. You have to work really hard to make believe they’re poised for any long-term success, and this reads more like SOJF flagellation. Get a grip, people

I don’t know T0m,

5 first round picks in two years, plus a whole bunch of other picks, plenty of cap space... that’s a pretty good starting point for a team that played hard under Flores, who looks like a pretty good hire so far.

If they were a stock, I’d be buying.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I don’t know T0m,

5 first round picks in two years, plus a whole bunch of other picks, plenty of cap space... that’s a pretty good starting point for a team that played hard under Flores, who looks like a pretty good hire so far.

If they were a stock, I’d be buying.

Meh. They’ve got three good players, no QB, no pass rush, and a spotty offensive line. Flores is a screaming lunatic who just won five games. I don’t see how the Dolphins future is any more promising than, say, the Bills. 

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

They certainly have plenty of ammo in the draft.  I think the biggest is things is that despite clearly tanking at the beginning of the season they quickly changed course and played well once Tua got hurt 

This was not at all the timeline. Miami had already won 2 games before Tua was injured.

The Dolphins were never tanking.

If they were, Josh Rosen would have started every game.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1