Is Miami poised to become the new powerhouse in AFC east

Rhg1084

It's ironic that despite the aborted tank, they might still be able to draft Tua if he falls a bit i the draft because of his injury - they might get him despite their somewhat useless wins.

I won't mind a renewed rivalry with them and the Jills. As long as the Cheats - minus some more draft picks to penalize them for their latest video malfeasance - become the AFCE doormat for the next, oh, thirty years.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

It's ironic that despite the aborted tank, they might still be able to draft Tua if he falls a bit i the draft because of his injury - they might get him despite their somewhat useless wins.

I won't mind a renewed rivalry with them and the Jills. As long as the Cheats - minus some more draft picks to penalize them for their latest video malfeasance - become the AFCE doormat for the next, oh, thirty years.

Marino, Kelly, OBrien... that was fun

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But you have to draft the QB so.....

Isn't it smart to load up on the draft pick ammo to move up for one, where possible?

Also, we supposedly have the QB.  So why do we still suck?  Bad drafting.  If Douglas is good at drafting and we give him lots of picks, we could become good too.  

Yes.  When you don't have a QB, loading up on draft picks is smart.  But until you HAVE the QB, you aren't a powerhouse.  You are just a hopeful.

Having the QB isn't the entire answer either.  But with very rare exceptions, it is an absolute requirement to get in the door.

Meh.  You still have to have a bit of luck even if you draft well.  There have been teams who've hoarded picks and didnt end up with much success. Franchises building goes through all sorts of methods and stages.  That Douglas quote today about "changing the culture" is really relevant to that.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Yes.  When you don't have a QB, loading up on draft picks is smart.  But until you HAVE the QB, you aren't a powerhouse.  You are just a hopeful.

Sure.  But we're talking about a team with four first rounders and four 2nd rounders over the next 2 years.  Overall they're projected to have 18-20 picks over that span.  They could very easily land the QB AND a bunch of help for him in these next 2 drafts.  

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

How in the world is a player you drafted NOT being on the team anymore, a positive for the GM just because he got a return for him? 

Minkah, Drake, and Tunsil may be good but they all play for other teams.

Grier picks Minkah, Tunsil, Drake, and Howard. 

Mac picks Leo, Darnold, Adams, Lee. 

So out of those 4, 1 plays for their team still and just got arrested for battery, sure to serve suspension beginning of next year. 

Out of our 4, 2 are bright spots for the future. And one may get a bigger haul in trade than any of their players got. 

Essentially they are mirror images of each other as GMs. Hell both guys even installed Fitz as their QBs lol. 

Because they're about to have four 1st rounders and four 2nd rounders over the next two drafts, and 18-20 picks total.  They wisely saw that they would NOT be contenders this year, and got great trade compensation for the talent they'd acquired in the draft previously.  Now they have tons of ammo to get a franchise QB in there PLUS tons of help for him.  

Holding onto players when you're a non-contender isn't all that smart.  We should have moved Jamal and Robby Anderson at the trade deadline.  By failing to do so, we may have missed out on getting peak compensation for Jamal, whereas Robby will likely be walking this offseason with us getting nothing in return.

Don't necessarily bank on on Jamal netting us more in a trade than what the Dolphins fot for Fitzpatrick, either.  

4 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’d say Buffalo. McDermott and his staff has been phenomenal since they arrived. The front office seems to have complete cohesion with the coaching staff, and built their roster well.

Josh Allen blows, but they have created an offense AROUND him, (one that puts him in situations to succeed (WHAT A NOVEL IDEA!instead of force feeding him) and they execute...enough.

Their D is fast, tough, and nasty. If they have another good offseason and acquire a WR and RB threats, they could be taking the AFCE crown next year.

I think I've cracked the mystery of what "putting a QB in a position to succeed" means.  Apparently, it means having a QB that can run, and you know, letting him run.  McDermott and Harbaugh are just visionaries!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I think I've cracked the mystery of what "putting a QB in a position to succeed" means.  Apparently, it means having a QB that can run, and you know, letting him run.  McDermott and Harbaugh are just visionaries!

The Bills drafted Allen knowing that he isn’t a pure pocket passer. He has mobility, toughness, and a big arm, ala Cam Newton....exactly where McDermott came from. They didn’t win the Super Bowl but they came close.

McDermott doesn’t rely on Allen to scan the field in the pocket and make accurate throws. He’s one read, quick or deep, stall with your legs, or just run it. Run the ball, play good D.

So yeah, the Bills and Ravens both understand their QB’s strengths and weaknesses, tailor their whole philosophy around it. Both in the playoffs. No coincidence.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure.  But we're talking about a team with four first rounders and four 2nd rounders over the next 2 years.  Overall they're projected to have 18-20 picks over that span.  They could very easily land the QB AND a bunch of help for him in these next 2 drafts.  

And IF the jets are smart they trade Adams and have two first round picks plus more this year

Not to mention Sam is way better than Fitzputrid and Rosen and who knows if and when Tua can play with that injury

4 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Miami seems like they’re in a great spot. Flores should honesty get coach of the year considerations with the job he did down there. They have 3 first round picks in this upcoming draft, plus a ton of cap space. I see this team doing a quick rebuild and becoming a force to reckon with. Curious to see if the go the Tua route

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

The team that's poised to become the new powerhouse in the AFC East?

The New York Jets.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Having draft picks doesn't mean much. I'm as impressed that they gutted that roster and did as well as they did, but different players doesn't always mean better. A concept that is lost on this forum, I know.

How do you build a contender then?

Not only are rookies young and have higher ceilings, they're cheap for 4 years.

A lot of folks around here are stuck on thinking draft picks don't matter, because we had the worst drafting GM of all-time wasting away high draft picks at every turn.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Having draft picks doesn't mean much. I'm as impressed that they gutted that roster and did as well as they did, but different players doesn't always mean better. A concept that is lost on this forum, I know.

This is absurd. Getting high impact players locked into cheap deals is the easiest way to build a good team.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How do you build a contender then?

Not only are rookies young and have higher ceilings, they're cheap for 4 years.

A lot of folks around here are stuck on thinking draft picks don't matter, because we had the worst drafting GM of all-time wasting away high draft picks at every turn.

because just having them means nothing...you have to do something with them. You could give some teams the entire 1st round and they'd still be terrible.

I'm so tired of hearing about how great Brian Flores is. He went 5-11. He won some games with Fitz as his QB. I'm not saying he's a bad coach but I'll judge him when the expectations are risen. I think it's easy to coach when the expectations are low. Let's see what happens when they are expected to win. I'm not impressed yet. 

10 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

This is absurd. Getting high impact players locked into cheap deals is the easiest way to build a good team.

Having the draft pick doesn't actually do that. You have to draft a player with the pick that is high impact. It's not rocket science that a ticket to the lottery doesn't mean you should go on a shopping spree.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

So avoid acquiring picks because you think you might mess them up?

Never said anything about not acquiring picks. That's something you made up in your own mind. More picks is better, but it doesn't guarantee a thing. How many time has this played out? Why do people still not get this?

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

Never said anything about not acquiring picks. That's something you made up in your own mind. More picks is better, but it doesn't guarantee a thing. How many time has this played out? Why do people still not get this?

Because what you're saying makes no sense.  We all know you need to hit on a lot of your draft picks to succeed.  But there's no alternative routes out there to build a contender outside of the draft. 

Any team that is a non-contender and doesn't have a franchise QB needs to go all in on finding him PLUS build around him with young talent.  I.E. acquiring picks makes a ton of sense.  Minkah Fitzpatrick wasn't going to get the Dolphins to the promised land.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Having the draft pick doesn't actually do that. You have to draft a player with the pick that is high impact. It's not rocket science that a ticket to the lottery doesn't mean you should go on a shopping spree.

Who has better odds of winning the lottery, someone with 1 ticket or someone with 10?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because they're about to have four 1st rounders and four 2nd rounders over the next two drafts, and 18-20 picks total.  They wisely saw that they would NOT be contenders this year, and got great trade compensation for the talent they'd acquired in the draft previously.  Now they have tons of ammo to get a franchise QB in there PLUS tons of help for him.  

Holding onto players when you're a non-contender isn't all that smart.  We should have moved Jamal and Robby Anderson at the trade deadline.  By failing to do so, we may have missed out on getting peak compensation for Jamal, whereas Robby will likely be walking this offseason with us getting nothing in return.

Don't necessarily bank on on Jamal netting us more in a trade than what the Dolphins fot for Fitzpatrick, either.  

So if you go out to the store and buy a sh*tty couch, bring it back to your house, your wife hates it, you return it, and get a certificate for a couch that may or may not be better because it has extra pillows... you're supposed to get a pat on the back?

Hell no. Your wife is going to be pissed you were dumb enough to buy the sh*tty couch to begin with. 

24 minutes ago, JTJet said:

So if you go out to the store and buy a sh*tty couch, bring it back to your house, your wife hates it, you return it, and get a certificate for a couch that may or may not be better because it has extra pillows... you're supposed to get a pat on the back?

Hell no. Your wife is going to be pissed you were dumb enough to buy the sh*tty couch to begin with. 

This analogy is not even close to what happened here.  

source.gif

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JTJet said:

This was less of a statement for Flores and more of a statement for Ryan Fitzpatrick. He did what he has done at every stop he has ever made, propel teams to a handful of wins but keep them from tanking. 

Miami's GM Chris Grier has a borderline worse draft history than Macagnan had. They may have draft picks, but they have to hit on them.

1st Laremy Tunsil -  Traded to Texans

2nd Xavien Howard - Just arrested for Assault 

3rd Kenyan Drake - Trades to Cardinals

3rd Leonte Caroo - Out of League 

1st Charles Harris - Bust, Getting let go in FA 

2nd Raekwon McMillan - Mediocre starter 

3rd Cordea Tankersly - 36 career tackles in 3 yr

1st Minkah Fitzpatrick - Traded to Steelers

2nd Mike Gesiki - Good starting TE

3rd Jerome Baker - Mediocre starter 

1st Christian Wilkins - Mediocre starter

2nd Michael Dieter - Mediocre starter 

Being Jets fans, we know fully well how this is going to play out for Grier in Miami. If he has the kind of drafts he has been having, he will be gone. 

Yeah, hard to argue with this. 

They have a lot of fire power right now.  They hit on a QB, the Fish could be trouble

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

The Bills drafted Allen knowing that he isn’t a pure pocket passer. He has mobility, toughness, and a big arm, ala Cam Newton....exactly where McDermott came from. They didn’t win the Super Bowl but they came close.

McDermott doesn’t rely on Allen to scan the field in the pocket and make accurate throws. He’s one read, quick or deep, stall with your legs, or just run it. Run the ball, play good D.

So yeah, the Bills and Ravens both understand their QB’s strengths and weaknesses, tailor their whole philosophy around it. Both in the playoffs. No coincidence.

They’re both in the playoffs because they have good rosters.  One of them has a good QB too.  What should we be doing with Darnold, exactly?  Bootleg right every play?  Would that make us a playoff team?

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This analogy is not even close to what happened here.  

source.gif

That's exactly what the Dolphins are doing as we speak. 

They are the 2015 New York Jets. 

- Inept ownership

- Inept GM 

- Defensive coordinatior for coach 

- Chan Gailey as offensive coordinator

- Karl Dorrell as wide receivers coach

- No roster depth

- Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB

6 minutes ago, JTJet said:

That's exactly what the Dolphins are doing as we speak. 

They are the 2015 New York Jets. 

- Inept ownership

- Inept GM 

- Defensive coordinatior for coach 

- Chan Gailey as offensive coordinator

- Karl Dorrell as wide receivers coach

- No roster depth

- Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB

With 18-20 draft picks in the next two seasons, including four 1st rounders and four 2nd rounders.  That's very much UNLIKE the 2015 Jets.

Those draft picks will help them fix the following:

• Roster Depth
  • QB

The rest of it?  Well, you can't fire the owner.  The GM is definitely better than Macc (not saying much, but still).  Why does being a DC as the HC matter?  Lot's of former DC's have had success as HC's.  LaFleur at least appears to be better than Bowles (also not saying much, but still).  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

With 18-20 draft picks in the next two seasons, including four 1st rounders and four 2nd rounders.  That's very much UNLIKE the 2015 Jets.

Those draft picks will help them fix the following:

• Roster Depth
  • QB

The rest of it?  Well, you can't fire the owner.  The GM is definitely better than Macc (not saying much, but still).  Why does being a DC as the HC matter?  Lot's of former DC's have had success as HC's.  LaFleur at least appears to be better than Bowles (also not saying much, but still).  

You assume that they will hit on even 25% of their picks. 

Griers track record does not back that data up what so ever. 

15 minutes ago, JTJet said:

You assume that they will hit on even 25% of their picks. 

Griers track record does not back that data up what so ever. 

I'm not assuming anything.  But you have to build through the draft.  There's no other option.  They don't have a franchise QB, so having 8 1st/2nd round picks over the next 2 drafts gives them ammo to find one.  

I don’t think anyone will be taking over the division the way the Pats have.  I’d say Buffalo will be the most consistent.  Even if Allen isn’t the answer long term, they seem to have the people in place to keep the team competitive.  AFCE might very well look like the NFCE starting next year, where 9-7/10-6 will get you a division title.