Sign in to follow this  
SummerofSam14

Gettleman on Leonard Williams trade

Just now, SummerofSam14 said:

Said the juice was worth the squeeze. 

I can see why Gettleman doesn’t address the media often. Public speaking is certainly not his strong suit. 

He sounds like a ******* idiot, and I'm shocked he wasn't canned. 

• Upvote 4

Williams was worth the chance. Jets notoriously bad. He thought he could do more. He did not. Glad it didn’t work out.

10 minutes ago, SummerofSam14 said:

I can see why Gettleman doesn’t address the media often. Public speaking is certainly not his strong suit. 

That’s some sh*tty juice. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

He sounds like a ******* idiot, and I'm shocked he wasn't canned. 

He got booed when drafting arguably the best QB of the draft based on the numbers. No one seen that coming.

If you ask a Giants fan today about Danny Dimes I bet their words wont be the same as it was on draft night. 

Neither would Mayfield's. lol. 

Good trade for the Jets though with Leo. It's clear he didnt want to be here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

That was a terrible pick. The best player in the draft..

Funny enough, I remember hearing the same thing about a player in this years draft..

Exactly. The Johnson's are just cashing checks.

• Upvote 2

Hes a lot like Mac.  He constantly responds to questions with canned phrases and doesnt seem to have a plan when it comes to drafting or free agents.  What he said about Leo made no sense - you wanted to evaluate him first hand?  Hes been in the league long enough to evaluate, and trading picks for a veteran FA when you have 2 wins is ridiculous, especially if that guy plays the same position as a player you picked in the top 20 of the previous draft.

Maybe he is a good talent evaluator, but thats not enough to be a good GM.  

• Upvote 1

So his rationale is that the trade of the 3rd and fifth was worth it.  Worst case was get a 3rd compensatory if it does  not work out.  Not sure about that.    We got the best of that deal I believe considering the draft position of the 3rd we got.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A non-contending team like the Giants had no business making a trade like that.  They have so many needs, so the 3rd round compensatory pick in 2021 is not a sure bet.  They might as well re-sign him and give up the 4th at this point.

Not sure how anyone can think this was a good deal for the Giants. Reminds of when Idzik traded for Percy Harvin when the season was lost anyway. Glad the Giants kept Gettleman because I think he's awful, he's fortunate Daniel Jones seems promising because if not for that idk how you could defend the guy. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Not sure how anyone can think this was a good deal for the Giants. Reminds of when Idzik traded for Percy Harvin when the season was lost anyway. Glad the Giants kept Gettleman because I think he's awful, he's fortunate Daniel Jones seems promising because if not for that idk how you could defend the guy. 

Jones blows.  

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  Hopefully that juice is worth one more squeeze!

In Williams case it was worth 0.5 sacks this year!

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jones blows.  

Whatever you wanna call him aside, he's still probably his best pick. And drafting is supposed to be Gettleman's strength since all his free agency signings have been laughably bad. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Funny enough, I remember hearing the same thing about a player in this years draft..

The talking heads all had Leo as the best player in the draft but the pro GM's let him slide to the 6th pick when our idiot GM took him. Who was correct?

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, SummerofSam14 said:

What fun a Genttleman vs Gase debate would be.

Homefield advantage would be, if the Jets win the coin flip, Gase gets to wear a hat.

If the Giants win, Gase goes bald, and the eyes rule

Well I want to thank him for the 68th overall pick.  Now sign him so we get a 4th too 😂 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MindOverMatter said:

The NFL, like most industries promotes from within, and thats why so many teams hire GMs and coaches that can't figure it out.

You dont need to be a scout to be a good GM - sure it can help, and there are ex scouts that figure out how to be good GMs, but its far from a pre-requisite.  GM's are essentially asset managers - their job isnt to decide who is the 6th best OL vs the 8th best.  Their job is to value the board, who is there that the team likes, does the position value match the player's value, and then decide if they can move back or need to move up to get who they want.  If you trust your scouts and have a team vision that is clear to everyone  throughout the organization, you could do this with minimal scouting background.   

On top of that, there are guys who are introverted who can succeed, but the vast majority need to either captivate the media which helps avoid criticism or be able to work back channels to avoid too much media scrutiny.  If you can't do either, you have a problem.

Guys like Gettlemen and Mac just aren't cut out for the job.  Sure, can a guy get lucky and hit on Barkely (bad positional value in a QB heavy draft) and Daniel Jones (could be a franchise QB) - yes.  But it doesnt mean you let them continue taking bad chances.

• Upvote 1

JD should dangle Trumaine Johnson in front of Gettleman. Tell him he’s worth a 2nd but we’ll give him to you for a 4th. It’s worth a squeeze. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

That’s some sh*tty juice. 

He doesn't like pits in his juice juice juice.

• Haha 1

I don't think most had bosa over quinnen. Leo was regarded as the top talent in his draft and by far the safest pick. Obviously that never pans out the way the experts see it on draft night.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

16 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I don't think most had bosa over quinnen. Leo was regarded as the top talent in his draft and by far the safest pick. Obviously that never pans out the way the experts see it on draft night.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

He’s was a young D.T with some interior ability to push the pocket. No real Pass rush skills. The Pick was Josh Allen, or trade out. The knock on Bosa was durability. Which he’s proved better than Williams. I’m 1000000% the Jets should NEVER take a D.T in the 1st ever again!!!

I’ve posted multiple posts on this, over the years, including that we should not resign Mo Wilkerson. Bosa was an is a game changer so is Allen. Williams is a soft slug that’s just a rotation D.T in our 3-4.

Douglas needs to try and get a late 1st, or early 2nd for him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1