TNJet

Off Topic Car Question

I'm sure this thread will be moved and thats fine. But no one reads the other non Jet forums. Soo anyway...

I'm thinking of buying a new car that costs around $36,000. I'll mention I have an above average credit score. Just curious if anyone here is good with payment estimates. I saw online something about dividing 36000 by 60 % apr financing, and it came out to a 600 buck monthly payment. Does that sound accurate? Thanks guys.

Just now, jgb said:

I will never own a car again. Pay for something that sits in driveway 90% of the time no thanks. Of course I live in Europe so limited relevance I’m sure.

Lol I live in the southern U.S. Can't ride horses here anymore to work...

• Upvote 1

Just now, Larz said:

Got my daughter a Santa Fe recently. Carfax and truecar and all the big car apps have payment calculators 

Ah ok

Just now, TNJet said:

Lol I live in the southern U.S. Can't ride horses here anymore to work...

Bicycle and a train pass. I HATE driving and I am a terrible driver. T’is the life for me.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Bicycle and a train pass. I HATE driving and I am a terrible driver. T’is the life for me.

No, I enjoy putting my life in my own hands. And new cars.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TNJet said:

No, I enjoy putting my life in my own hands. And new cars.

I trust a drunken monkey driving over myself. I am the world’s worst driver.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TNJet said:

I'm sure this thread will be moved and thats fine. But no one reads the other non Jet forums. Soo anyway...

I'm thinking of buying a new car that costs around $36,000. I'll mention I have an above average credit score. Just curious if anyone here is good with payment estimates. I saw online something about dividing 36000 by 60 % apr financing, and it came out to a 600 buck monthly payment. Does that sound accurate? Thanks guys.

An Infiniti Q50 is a great mixture of performance and luxury. Twin turbos dyno at @300 HP at the wheels even though Infiniti spec's them at 300 at the crank. Infiniti sometimes offers zero % financing if your credit is good.

• Upvote 1

unless it's some kind of sportscar or something you've been waiting to buy forever (at $36K i doubt it) then lease. Lease lease lease. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Let Mac pick a car for you. 

A nice sleek sports car, cheap and would get you girls is there for you.

Mac picks a hummer instead because it is the best hummer available.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Ah ok

I actually kind of miss sorting cars by features every day 😂

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Let Mac pick a car for you. 

I'm sure it'll be the safest low risk high reward car. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I actually sell cars lol every 10k you finance is roughly $200/month at 60 months. If you stretch the term to 72 months my guess is high $500 low $600. Also every $1000 down is roughly $20 a month. If you have a trade in and you owe more than the car is worth (what they appraise it for) then you would roll the difference into the new loan. So if you owe $10,000 and the cars worth $8k you’d roll the remaining balance into the new car. Also if you’re rolling a big amount $4000+, some banks require a bit of money down to offset some of that rolled in balance. Sorry to throw a lot at you just don’t want to see you get hosed lol

Very helpful thanks. I actually currently haven't had a car payment for maybe 4yrs. Paid the last one off. I could possibly put 2000 down and still be okay financially, but don't know how much that would help. 40 bucks less on a monthly payment? Is that what you meant?

Do the simple math for a finance 36k\60 months bout $600 month plus bit of interest W no $ down 

leasing is cheaper lower payments, watch the mileage terms and how fast that model depreciates 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TNJet said:

My Advice.... if you dont put an excess amount of miles on the car LEASE it and PUT NOTHING down. Putting money down on something that depreciates at an alarming rate is always a bad Idea. 

The Link below has a car loan calculator you can plug in anything you want  Term, Rate, Price and it will give you the payment I entered 60 months at 5 % for 36k and got 668.00 per month. With a lease it would probably be more in the low 500 range saving you about 150 a month in payments. Either way if you can avoid putting money down that's the best option. If you like to have a new car every 3-4 years or so then a Lease is without a doubt the best option. FWIW if you have really good credit you can probably get a better rate than 5 % and also keep in mind car dealers are crooks so shop your rate elsewhere then go into the dealer and tell them the rate and they will miraculously beat the rate you got . DO NOT go into the dealer without having the info you need and be educated about what you want to do since that intimidates most salesman :) 

https://www.acutx.org/resources/calculators/auto-loan-calculator

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TNJet said:

Go somewhere that is offering 0% financing, almost every dealer this time of year is, and then just divide the 36,000 by 60 which is $600 per month, but make sure that includes the tax, and all fees.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Very helpful thanks. I actually currently haven't had a car payment for maybe 4yrs. Paid the last one off. I could possibly put 2000 down and still be okay financially, but don't know how much that would help. 40 bucks less on a monthly payment? Is that what you meant?

No problem man and yep that’s what I meant! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I pay cash or lease. Unless you can get a 0% finance deal (or very close) it's a financial ass ram.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Right.

2 hours ago, TNJet said:

Everything depends on various factors. Trade in? Money down? Interest rate? If you arent putting much or any down, do yourself a favor and drop your price down a bit or wait to put some $$$ down. 

2 hours ago, TNJet said:

ce40f333edafb04105bde356a53fe596x.jpg?im

c292da1f3e647a8b5a230765bd28de31x.jpg?im

Don't be ridiculous.  Just lease.

$499 a month will get you a sexy BMW and then you can upgrade the girlfriend and ultimately your entire life.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, TNJet said:

If you can only put down 2k honestly I would buy a cheaper car.  And maybe used.  

29 minutes ago, SAR I said:

ce40f333edafb04105bde356a53fe596x.jpg?im

c292da1f3e647a8b5a230765bd28de31x.jpg?im

Don't be ridiculous.  Just lease.

$499 a month will get you a sexy BMW and then you can upgrade the girlfriend and ultimately your entire life.

SAR I

SAR is 100% right

but don’t get any BMW unless the models last number is a 5 or begins w M

Personally I prefer Audi S or Benz AMG but that’s personal preference Beemers are great too 

5 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

SAR is 100% right

but don’t get any BMW unless the models last number is a 5 or begins w M

Personally I prefer Audi S or Benz AMG but that’s personal preference Beemers are great too 

Those are pricey.  He's on a budget.

BMW has a great warranty and good mileage programs for leases.  I've been leasing BMW's perpetually for 20+ years, haven't spent a dime on maintenance or repairs.  My financial planner insists we lease.  He's right.  And it's a lot of fun being in a new car every 3 years.

SAR I

if you can afford it - you're very lucky..with some luck and hard work I could do that but that's a lot of money.  Me I'm a buy a $10k car and keep it a loooong time fixing it up myself.. 

But for trouble free life...life's short and you got money..pfft.. get your dream car 😉

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TNJet said:

I use an app on my phone for this.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Thank heaven’s for Brexit!! You’ll need that bike. 🚵🏽
You won’t be allowed in Europe anymore 😆

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TNJet said:

How much are you planning on putting down? Obviously the more you put down up front, the lower the payments. However, you should weigh that against what kind of money you feel confident you can make with that money? Also, if your credit is as good as you say, look for 0.0% financing? I got it offered to me over 60 months.