TNJet

Off Topic Car Question

2 hours ago, TNJet said:

I'm sure this thread will be moved and thats fine. But no one reads the other non Jet forums. Soo anyway...

I'm thinking of buying a new car that costs around $36,000. I'll mention I have an above average credit score. Just curious if anyone here is good with payment estimates. I saw online something about dividing 36000 by 60 % apr financing, and it came out to a 600 buck monthly payment. Does that sound accurate? Thanks guys.

ce40f333edafb04105bde356a53fe596x.jpg?im

c292da1f3e647a8b5a230765bd28de31x.jpg?im

Don't be ridiculous.  Just lease.

$499 a month will get you a sexy BMW and then you can upgrade the girlfriend and ultimately your entire life.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

SAR is 100% right

but don’t get any BMW unless the models last number is a 5 or begins w M

Personally I prefer Audi S or Benz AMG but that’s personal preference Beemers are great too 

Those are pricey.  He's on a budget.

BMW has a great warranty and good mileage programs for leases.  I've been leasing BMW's perpetually for 20+ years, haven't spent a dime on maintenance or repairs.  My financial planner insists we lease.  He's right.  And it's a lot of fun being in a new car every 3 years.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

BMW SUCKS

J. E. Alous

SAR I

10 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

But thats $499 plus another $4924 for 36 months.  So thats basically a $635/mo payment to not even own the damn thing.

To buy it costs more per month and then you'll spend $ on repairs and maintenance if you keep it when it's out of warranty after 3 years.

Leasing vs. Buying works out just about the same.  Unless you keep the car for 7 years and drive it into the ground in which case you can come out ahead a grand.  But then it just takes one measly repair and, boom, there goes your differential.  The risk that you'll have no repairs in 7 years is greater than the money you'll come out behind.  Just better to lease.  Peace of mind.  No risk.

SAR I

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

I use to lease but now we bought our last car.  Six years in and thankfully no major maintnece. 

it’s much easier as cars last a lot longer. But we don’t drive much maybe 5k mikes a year.  

That's a good situation for you-  but based solely on the low mileage.

If you were typical, say 12k a year, very different story.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

YOU WISH.  I'll take a Ford Taurus over that sh*tbox

HAHAHAHAHA

A Ford?  Awesome.

SAR I

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

I sense I'm speaking to someone of the OTHER political persuasion??

Don't you worry about politics; worry about money.

SAR I

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

I certainly will....

BMW SUCKS. A Ford Taurus is not only a much less expensive car, but it's also AMERICAN MADE. BMW are made by Nazis.

It's the American dream.  To own a cheap car, to marry the chubby girl who couldn't get a date, to have a blue collar job.  You've got the whole thing down.  My plumber does too.  Except every time he comes to my house he sees one of my 3 BMW's and wants to cry.

SAR I

1 minute ago, thshadow said:

That's true (and you can certainly buy the car at the end for its residual value and then it's just like you did buy the car).  But it's a lot easier to overspend if you get a lease.  Put something reasonable down and pay $500/mo, if you bought it, you'll have some decent value after 3 years.  For a lease, it's $0 (or slightly negative if there's one of those nonsense "disposition" fees).

If you can only afford a car if you lease it - then you really can't afford the car.

If you bought it then you've got to sell it on your own and you don't get fair market value that way.  So you wind up trading it in and -poof- there goes whatever equity you've built.  And just 1 minor repair on a modern car can cost thousands.  Owning a modern car is risky.

To me, a car is just another utility and that's the way to look at it.  It's something you need, it's something with a fixed monthly cost, it doesn't owe you anything other than what it provides, it's no different than electricity, milk, or a mobile phone.  Pick the car that suits your budget, lease it for that set monthly payment, and that's that.  It's not like a car is a big investment, it's not real estate, it doesn't increase in value over time.  You need electricity, it's $200 a month.  You need a phone, it's $150 a month.  You need a car, it's $399 a month. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

They used to be the best................and the Ultimate Driving Machine......Then everything went plastic

Please.  The interior of the E30 was chintzy as can be, I've owned Honda's of the period that were more upscale.  The E93 was terrible, plastic-city, I agree.  But the new models are quite luxe.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Can u really lease a nice bmw for $399 no money down ?????

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

south_bay_bmw-torrance-lease-19_330i-mob

No, but most would have a car whose trade in value would be at least the $3,000 needed to get onto a perpetual lease cycle instead of buying and selling.  If you find the right dealer at the right time of the month with a car on the lot, you can drive off for $1,500.

SAR I

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

How many miles do you average on your leased vehicle per year?

I have 2 BMW's that I lease and I average 12K on the nose per year.  Sometimes I go over by 1K but since I've been leasing from the same dealer for 10 years and they want my repeat business they let me off the hook via some discounts they dig up.  The options that I pick tend to become standard equipment in subsequent years, so my last 2 leases were actually a few dollars less than the prior years.

SAR I

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I had a 2002 C36 AMG that was as fun a car I’ve owned. Except if it was sleeting out and I had to go up an off ramp. Then it was terrifying. 

Very cool car.  Yes, not designed for winter.  I have an M-Sport, not even close to the performance of the M obviously, but it has rear wheel drive and definitely winter tires on it.  Handles quite well, but not crazy gobs of wheel-spinning power.

SAR I

10 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

When I grew up what car your parents drove and which one you got in high school made a huge difference in suburbia.   Is this still the case?

Yeah, we live in a superficial town and my boys got really hot girlfriends from the BMW I got them.  As for me, I just grew accustomed to them, I'm tight with my dealer, and each new iteration of my 3 Series (now 4 Series the past five years) has pleased me.  The X7 is fabulous because it comfortably seats 7 passengers.  Finally have that minivan utility back but in a SUV form factor from a cool brand.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Don't try to trade a car in at the dealers, go to Carmax and they'll give you FMV.

I looked into Carmax when I was selling my kids BMW and they were like 2 hours away in PA.  They really need a NY Metro location.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, thshadow said:

Plus how much down every 3 years? 

I mainly think it's dangerous / unfortunate when people spend more than they can afford on a car, and when leasing it's easy to ignore the money down you have to pay every 3 years, and also to ignore the residual value of a car you own after 3 years.

No lie, we leased a car for our kids to drive themselves to high school for $30/month (a Fiat 500E).

I put down about $3,000 for each car.  Since all leases have similar money down I view it as a cost of leasing, I just look at the monthly payment.

But, yes, you could say my $599 4 Series is actually $682 if you like. 

SAR I

4 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Bullsh*t.

I'm all for romanticizing anything BMW, but the E30's interior wasn't very high end.

SAR I

2 hours ago, Lith said:

I never understood the need for a luxury car.  To me, a car is nothing more than a tool too get me from one point to another.  I have had luxury cars in the past -- never a BMW, but I have owned an Audi & Mercedes.  Then when we had kids and I needed to cut back, we traded in the Mercedes and went to a Saturn.  Since then, I have had a Camry and most recently a used Altima, which I bought 6 years ago.  My kids are both over 25 now.  3 sedans in 25+ years.  They have always gotten me where I need to go.  Paid the Altima off in 36 months.  Have been driving it with no payments for last 3 years. 

I have no interest in ever buying or leasing a luxury car again.

That worked out well for you.

The reason people drive luxury cars, it's just something fun to have, that's all.  No different than season tickets or a family vacation, it's just something a bit nicer then the norm that makes you feel a bit special.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

As much as ive goofed on leasing and beat sar1 up over it back in the ji days i am actually thinking about leasing my next car. My 328i still feels like new at 115k.

So if i pay 3k for a lease, in 3 years if i want to release another car at the same dealer do i get a discount ir will I always have to pay the 3k

It's a matter of negotiation.  As long as you keep going back to the same dealer, building a rapport, and giving him high marks on Dealerrater he'll work with you.  BMW also has these frequent $1000 savings events like test driving the new 5 Series or something tied to the Olympics, call your dealer about 6 months before you're ready to lease and he'll advise you on how to cut that $3,000 down.

For now, your 328i would likely cover the $3,000 so you could be out the door at $399 or $499 for a new 3 or 4 Series.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Apache 51 said:

They used to be twice the price and lasted twice as long. Nowadays Hondas, Yotas are half the price and go forever.

Price and longevity doesn't matter when you lease.

My 4 Series lease costs $200 more than my Civic lease and it's worth the $200 for the upgrades like leather, widescreen infotainment, wood, quietness, handling, prestige, etc.

SAR I

5 hours ago, Biggs said:

My plumber is living in a mansion in Florida with a 50' boat and a Bentley convertible.  The guy he sends to my house is working off of his license and gets paid by the hour and leases a BMW. 

Ah, no. 

SAR I

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Planning to buy a used car this weekend.  Been checking out Carmax, looking at 2017-18 Altimas, Camrys, Malibu, etc.  Came across a 2016 BMW 320i with less than 20K miles on it for same price as these other cars.  Checked out the vehicle history report, and no issues/accidents or other concerns reported.  Anything I should know about the 320i -- pricing seems too good to be true.  @SAR I, or anyone elsse have any comments about the 320i before I head out tomorrow with intent of buying it.

Happy to help.

The 320i is the least expensive 3 Series and if memory serves correctly wasn't available with many options in 2016.  Understand that a BMW is a truly a-la-carte car experience and to get it to "drive like a BMW" it needs a Sport suspension or the Adaptive M-Suspension, neither of which I believe came on the 320i.  People see the $299 lease special on TV and that's fine, it's still a great car in many ways, but that same 3 Series with the luxury package, convenience package, and all-important Sport/M-Sport package drive that price up to $599.  Navigation, satellite radio, leather seats, heated seats, xenon headlights, CarPlay, iPhone integration, fold-down rear seat, auto-dimming mirrors, these features probably aren't on this car.

So......for a low price and with those low miles, if you like the look of the car and the panache of the BMW badge and are okay with it handling at 80% of capability and having 50% of the luxury features, go for it, you'll love it.  But if you want a tricked-out luxury car with all the toys and leather and better handling, you'll likely be disappointed.  Compared to a Malibu and Altima its much better looking and more refined but you'd likely shake your head at the fact that the BMW comes with vinyl seats and has no garage door opener.

Take a test drive.  Pay close attention to what features are/aren't on the car.  Let us know how it went.

SAR I

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Don't forget that BMW's are a fortune to maintain compared to other vehicle. 

Another thing to test on the 320i is the autostart system. Your engine shuts off at stop lights and restarts when you take your foot off the brake. Service would give you these as loaner cars and it drove me nuts.  

Also, BMW had long since strayed from their strength and leaned more towards luxury by 2016. Aspects that made these cars the "drivers" cars were softened like steering and the chassis. The last competitive sports car they made was in 2002. Even the M's were unbalanced. After a long long run they disappeared from the C&D 10 best list and lived solely on rep.  See Don Sherman's article from 2016:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15346236/steer-me-feel-me-exploring-why-bmws-no-longer-excel-in-steering-feel/

I love this brand. I am holding onto an older model because they just cannot match the feel from back then. When that goes, I am moving onto another marque. Pained me what Bangle did to the company and it hasn't recovered yet. 

EDIT:

and here's an article on the stop-start issue:

https://www.autonews.com/article/20130928/BLOG06/130929889/why-this-bmw-s-stop-start-is-a-non-starter

Auto Stop Start can be coded to be disabled.  Costs $50 and 20 minutes of your time. 

The Adaptive M Suspension option solved the handling concerns back then, and the 4 Series being lower and wider is an improvement as well.  My sons would drive mine after driving their E46 and couldn’t tell the difference in handling.  

SAR I

24 minutes ago, Lith said:

Read the reviews on Edmunds.  Both their review and customer reviews.  Pretty much confirms what both you and @SAR I have said.  Two drabacks are the automatic start and stop (which can be disabled) and limited option packages.  But as it is a used car, if I am happy with the options it comes with, the packages available don't really matter.  Other than these issues, reviews were pretty positive.

I really do apprecaite the feedback from you guys.  It helps explain why this particular car is priced as low as it is.

Thanks.

Again-  its a great car, especially at that price and with so few miles.  The negative callouts are really just for those who want to drive very aggressively.  If it's just a daily commuter or car to drive the kids around to hockey practice (95% of the time for me) then you'll love it.  It's a BMW.  There's a lot to love.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company