Off Topic Car Question

TNJet

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

ce40f333edafb04105bde356a53fe596x.jpg?im

c292da1f3e647a8b5a230765bd28de31x.jpg?im

Don't be ridiculous.  Just lease.

$499 a month will get you a sexy BMW and then you can upgrade the girlfriend and ultimately your entire life.

SAR I

But thats $499 plus another $4924 for 36 months.  So thats basically a $635/mo payment to not even own the damn thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I pay cash or lease. Unless you can get a 0% finance deal (or very close) it's a financial ass ram.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Exactly. If you have the cash in the bank and a 0% financing deal is there it's like the dealer lending you 40K at 0% and you take the 40K and leave it in something making 3% interest.

10 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

But thats $499 plus another $4924 for 36 months.  So thats basically a $635/mo payment to not even own the damn thing.

To buy it costs more per month and then you'll spend $ on repairs and maintenance if you keep it when it's out of warranty after 3 years.

Leasing vs. Buying works out just about the same.  Unless you keep the car for 7 years and drive it into the ground in which case you can come out ahead a grand.  But then it just takes one measly repair and, boom, there goes your differential.  The risk that you'll have no repairs in 7 years is greater than the money you'll come out behind.  Just better to lease.  Peace of mind.  No risk.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

To buy it costs more per month and then you'll spend $ on repairs and maintenance if you keep it when it's out of warranty after 3 years.

Leasing vs. Buying works out just about the same.  Unless you keep the car for 7 years and drive it into the ground in which case you can come out ahead a grand.  But then it just takes one measly repair and, boom, there goes your differential.  The risk that you'll have no repairs in 7 years is greater than the money you'll come out behind.  Just better to lease.  Peace of mind.  No risk.

SAR I

I use to lease but now we bought our last car.  Six years in and thankfully no major maintnece. 

it’s much easier as cars last a lot longer. But we don’t drive much maybe 5k mikes a year.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

I use to lease but now we bought our last car.  Six years in and thankfully no major maintnece. 

it’s much easier as cars last a lot longer. But we don’t drive much maybe 5k mikes a year.  

That's a good situation for you-  but based solely on the low mileage.

If you were typical, say 12k a year, very different story.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

Just now, SAR I said:

That's a good situation for you-  but based solely on the low mileage.

If you were typical, say 12k a year, very different story.

SAR I

Yep definitely hard to find really low mileage leases. 

plus honestly once the second kid came around I just didn’t really feel the need to impress anyone with a new car every three years and couldn’t drive the car fast anyway.  

i think my savings versus leasing are a lot more than 1k.  What is the monthly lease with zero down on a 50k car.  I think in 6 years you probably pay close to 80 percent of the cost of my car. 

27 minutes ago, SAR I said:

J. E. Alous

SAR I

YOU WISH. I wouldn't own one of those foreign made pieces of TRASH even if you paid me. I'll take a Ford Taurus over that sh*tbox and their owners trying to look like they're NOT homosexuals any day.

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

I certainly will....

BMW SUCKS. A Ford Taurus is not only a much less expensive car, but it's also AMERICAN MADE. BMW are made by Nazis.

It's the American dream.  To own a cheap car, to marry the chubby girl who couldn't get a date, to have a blue collar job.  You've got the whole thing down.  My plumber does too.  Except every time he comes to my house he sees one of my 3 BMW's and wants to cry.

SAR I

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

Leasing vs. Buying works out just about the same. 

That's true (and you can certainly buy the car at the end for its residual value and then it's just like you did buy the car).  But it's a lot easier to overspend if you get a lease.  Put something reasonable down and pay $500/mo, if you bought it, you'll have some decent value after 3 years.  For a lease, it's $0 (or slightly negative if there's one of those nonsense "disposition" fees).

If you can only afford a car if you lease it - then you really can't afford the car.

1 minute ago, thshadow said:

That's true (and you can certainly buy the car at the end for its residual value and then it's just like you did buy the car).  But it's a lot easier to overspend if you get a lease.  Put something reasonable down and pay $500/mo, if you bought it, you'll have some decent value after 3 years.  For a lease, it's $0 (or slightly negative if there's one of those nonsense "disposition" fees).

If you can only afford a car if you lease it - then you really can't afford the car.

If you bought it then you've got to sell it on your own and you don't get fair market value that way.  So you wind up trading it in and -poof- there goes whatever equity you've built.  And just 1 minor repair on a modern car can cost thousands.  Owning a modern car is risky.

To me, a car is just another utility and that's the way to look at it.  It's something you need, it's something with a fixed monthly cost, it doesn't owe you anything other than what it provides, it's no different than electricity, milk, or a mobile phone.  Pick the car that suits your budget, lease it for that set monthly payment, and that's that.  It's not like a car is a big investment, it's not real estate, it doesn't increase in value over time.  You need electricity, it's $200 a month.  You need a phone, it's $150 a month.  You need a car, it's $399 a month. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

They used to be the best................and the Ultimate Driving Machine......Then everything went plastic

Please.  The interior of the E30 was chintzy as can be, I've owned Honda's of the period that were more upscale.  The E93 was terrible, plastic-city, I agree.  But the new models are quite luxe.

SAR I

If you bought it then you've got to sell it on your own and you don't get fair market value that way.  So you wind up trading it in and -poof- there goes whatever equity you've built.  And just 1 minor repair on a modern car can cost thousands.  Owning a modern car is risky.
To me, a car is just another utility and that's the way to look at it.  It's something you need, it's something with a fixed monthly cost, it doesn't owe you anything other than what it provides, it's no different than electricity, milk, or a mobile phone.  Pick the car that suits your budget, lease it for that set monthly payment, and that's that.  It's not like a car is a big investment, it's not real estate, it doesn't increase in value over time.  You need electricity, it's $200 a month.  You need a phone, it's $150 a month.  You need a car, it's $399 a month. 
SAR I
Can u really lease a nice bmw for $399 no money down ?????

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

How many miles do you average on your leased vehicle per year?

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

Those are pricey.  He's on a budget.

BMW has a great warranty and good mileage programs for leases.  I've been leasing BMW's perpetually for 20+ years, haven't spent a dime on maintenance or repairs.  My financial planner insists we lease.  He's right.  And it's a lot of fun being in a new car every 3 years.

SAR I

Three things need to be considered re leasing:

Mileage, mileage, mileage. Head over 30,000 in a bimmer (Beemers are MC's) and the per mileage coast plus refurb at lease end will put you way beyond fiscal reasonability. I did about 60,000 in the past three in the daily driver and about 18,000 in the toy. I'd get killed leasing but if you really don't drive much, leasing is the indeed the way as long as you don't damage the car,

As big as a BMW fan that I am (have had one since '01) I do have to admit that they are being surpassed by Audi (drive a few and see for yourself). The BMW electronic steering and move off the straight 6's into turbos have dramatically changed the driving experience. Also they had a chance to move the Z car back into contention and blew that one big time

just one man's opinion

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, TNJet said:

I'm sure this thread will be moved and thats fine. But no one reads the other non Jet forums. Soo anyway...

I'm thinking of buying a new car that costs around $36,000. I'll mention I have an above average credit score. Just curious if anyone here is good with payment estimates. I saw online something about dividing 36000 by 60 % apr financing, and it came out to a 600 buck monthly payment. Does that sound accurate? Thanks guys.

Too much money to spend on a car, IMHO.  I like nice cars but I buy them used.

14 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

YOU WISH. I wouldn't own one of those foreign made pieces of TRASH even if you paid me. I'll take a Ford Taurus over that sh*tbox and their owners trying to look like they're NOT homosexuals any day.

Ford discontinued the Taurus. I like American muscle but the worst car I've ever owned was a Camaro.

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Please.  The interior of the E30 was chintzy as can be, I've owned Honda's of the period that were more upscale.  The E93 was terrible, plastic-city, I agree.  But the new models are quite luxe.

SAR I

I had a 2002 C36 AMG that was as fun a car I’ve owned. Except if it was sleeting out and I had to go up an off ramp. Then it was terrifying. 

Ford discontinued the Taurus. I like American muscle but the worst car I've ever owned was a Camaro.
One of the best cars I ever owned 1999 mustang .. 17 years 195000 miles only in the shop once for new clutch.

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

When I grew up what car your parents drove and which one you got in high school made a huge difference in suburbia.   Is this still the case?

my parents had mediocre cars growing up (new) while neighbors had nicer cars and the kids got brand new cars at 17 yrs old.  Annoyed me at the time. But then my parents paid for my Ivy League education with no loans to me while these other kids went to Rutgers (nothing against Rutgers) or had to take loans out for private college.  Turns out it was long term better to have mediocre cars. 

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If you bought it then you've got to sell it on your own and you don't get fair market value that way.  So you wind up trading it in and -poof- there goes whatever equity you've built.

Don't try to trade a car in at the dealers, go to Carmax and they'll give you FMV.

9 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Can u really lease a nice bmw for $399 no money down ?????

south_bay_bmw-torrance-lease-19_330i-mob

No, but most would have a car whose trade in value would be at least the $3,000 needed to get onto a perpetual lease cycle instead of buying and selling.  If you find the right dealer at the right time of the month with a car on the lot, you can drive off for $1,500.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You need a car, it's $399 a month. 

Plus how much down every 3 years? 

I mainly think it's dangerous / unfortunate when people spend more than they can afford on a car, and when leasing it's easy to ignore the money down you have to pay every 3 years, and also to ignore the residual value of a car you own after 3 years.

No lie, we leased a car for our kids to drive themselves to high school for $30/month (a Fiat 500E).