Off Topic Car Question

TNJet

9 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

How many miles do you average on your leased vehicle per year?

I have 2 BMW's that I lease and I average 12K on the nose per year.  Sometimes I go over by 1K but since I've been leasing from the same dealer for 10 years and they want my repeat business they let me off the hook via some discounts they dig up.  The options that I pick tend to become standard equipment in subsequent years, so my last 2 leases were actually a few dollars less than the prior years.

SAR I

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

south_bay_bmw-torrance-lease-19_330i-mob

No, but most would have a car whose trade in value would be at least the $3,000 needed to get onto a perpetual lease cycle instead of buying and selling.  If you find the right dealer at the right time of the month with a car on the lot, you can drive off for $1,500.

SAR I

So leasing a BMW is a lot like menses? 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I had a 2002 C36 AMG that was as fun a car I’ve owned. Except if it was sleeting out and I had to go up an off ramp. Then it was terrifying. 

Very cool car.  Yes, not designed for winter.  I have an M-Sport, not even close to the performance of the M obviously, but it has rear wheel drive and definitely winter tires on it.  Handles quite well, but not crazy gobs of wheel-spinning power.

SAR I

10 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

When I grew up what car your parents drove and which one you got in high school made a huge difference in suburbia.   Is this still the case?

Yeah, we live in a superficial town and my boys got really hot girlfriends from the BMW I got them.  As for me, I just grew accustomed to them, I'm tight with my dealer, and each new iteration of my 3 Series (now 4 Series the past five years) has pleased me.  The X7 is fabulous because it comfortably seats 7 passengers.  Finally have that minivan utility back but in a SUV form factor from a cool brand.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Don't try to trade a car in at the dealers, go to Carmax and they'll give you FMV.

I looked into Carmax when I was selling my kids BMW and they were like 2 hours away in PA.  They really need a NY Metro location.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, thshadow said:

Plus how much down every 3 years? 

I mainly think it's dangerous / unfortunate when people spend more than they can afford on a car, and when leasing it's easy to ignore the money down you have to pay every 3 years, and also to ignore the residual value of a car you own after 3 years.

No lie, we leased a car for our kids to drive themselves to high school for $30/month (a Fiat 500E).

I put down about $3,000 for each car.  Since all leases have similar money down I view it as a cost of leasing, I just look at the monthly payment.

But, yes, you could say my $599 4 Series is actually $682 if you like. 

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Very cool car.  Yes, not designed for winter.  I have an M-Sport, not even close to the performance of the M obviously, but it has rear wheel drive and definitely winter tires on it.  Handles quite well, but not crazy gobs of wheel-spinning power.

SAR I

I ran Perrelli P0’s on it and on a +75 degree day it held the asphalt like it was made of bacon. But I had to control a slide backwards down a couple slippery on ramps a few times. Twice had to park it and have Mrs Crusher pick me up.  But on hot Virginia summer  day on the Blue Ridge Parkway? Couldn’t beat it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Ford discontinued the Taurus. I like American muscle but the worst car I've ever owned was a Camaro.

Taurus is the epitome of a piece of shyt. Every one I ever saw was in a parking lot with the hood up.

• Haha 1

My son is in the market for a work vehicle he recently sold his Nissan Rogue 125k highway miles  he needs a vehicle that is safe and great on fuel mileage. He travels into NYC/ Newark and occasionally South Jersey. Any suggestions 

His pleasure vehicle is a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude he says he can deal with a small car for work(Nissan Sentra,Honda Civic)  I also suggested another SUV  and he says the fuel mileage is a deciding factor. 

He cant lease because of the mileage, the Rogue was a certified pre-owned. 

Any suggestions. 

Thanks 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

My son is in the market for a work vehicle he recently sold his Nissan Rogue 125k highway miles  he needs a vehicle that is safe and great on fuel mileage. He travels into NYC/ Newark and occasionally South Jersey. Any suggestions 

His pleasure vehicle is a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude he says he can deal with a small car for work I suggested another SUV  and he says the fuel mileage is a deciding factor. 

He cant lease because of the mileage, the Rogue was a certified pre-owned. 

Car and Driver does a nice job on their 10 best every year but most cars listed consider engine, tranny, steering and suspension over price, practicality and stuff young folks these days look for like connectivity

This year's issue included the Mazda CX-5 on the list, which is about the same size as the Rogue, very affordable in the nearly new used car market and long lauded by all the car mags and consumer rating publications. Real world gas mileage is about 25-27 and reliability has proven to be high. It certainly is the best driving of the class and actually handles a bit better than the X3 although not as finely finished or quite as powerful.

Mazda in general has been knocking it out of the park since the divorce from Ford, who almost ruined the marque. A smaller, more fuel efficient alternative would be the equally celebrated Mazda 3, which comes as sedan or a very useful hatchback.  

Your son should check out the Edmunds site for reviews and specs both new and used. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Car and Driver does a nice job on their 10 best every year but most cars listed consider engine, tranny, steering and suspension over price, practicality and stuff young folks these days look for like connectivity

This year's issue included the Mazda CX-5 on the list, which is about the same size as the Rogue, very affordable in the nearly new used car market and long lauded by all the car mags and consumer rating publications. Real world gas mileage is about 25-27 and reliability has proven to be high. It certainly is the best driving of the class and actually handles a bit better than the X3 although not as finely finished or quite as powerful.

Mazda in general has been knocking it out of the park since the divorce from Ford, who almost ruined the marque. A smaller, more fuel efficient alternative would be the equally celebrated Mazda 3, which comes as sedan or a very useful hatchback.  

Your son should check out the Edmunds site for reviews and specs both new and used. 

Thanks a lot @The Crimson King   Mazda has really stepped up its game, my wife likes the paint colors they came out with on the newer  CX models  the deep ruby red and dark blue. 

We are not familiar with the Mazda brand at all. 

Fuel mileage is key and I think he is looking at certified pre-owned models he needs some warranty security and loaner car option. 

He has mentioned a vehicle with mileage under 36k would be perfect. 

48 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

You seem to know about cars. What's your take on the Telluride? Various reports call it best in class for 2020.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

You seem to know about cars. What's your take on the Telluride? Various reports call it best in class for 2020.

Never drove one of these but they get great reviews. Kia has stepped up their game too with the Koreans today becoming the Japanese of the 80's with good products at great prices. No bad looking either but what really is these days?

The vehicle is huge in my eyes as I never needed a big vehicle but that third row has to be amazingly useful for families. 

Don't work off of payment.

Get your sale price without rebates and make sure it is good.

Then find out what incentives are available and what works better (low APR vs Rebates)

If you have a trade ask how much they would cut you a check for it if you just sold it, also look up some values online.

Lastly pick a dealer that can do all of this easily and at your pace. For example at my store we offer a tool right on the website to build your entire deal without a sales person needed.

Let me know if I can help.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yeah, we live in a superficial town and my boys got really hot girlfriends from the BMW I got them.  As for me, I just grew accustomed to them, I'm tight with my dealer, and each new iteration of my 3 Series (now 4 Series the past five years) has pleased me.  The X7 is fabulous because it comfortably seats 7 passengers.  Finally have that minivan utility back but in a SUV form factor from a cool brand.

SAR I

When I was young from 23 to 40 I needed to have the 3 series or m3 every three years.  But once I turned 40 I didn’t really care so I bought the boring Acura MDX.  It’s turned out actually great.  

hopefully folks in your town aren’t buying their kids bmw but making them get student loans or go to a lesser college due to financial aid reasons.  Because that’s a bad long term trade. 

given the rise of Uber I wonder if my kids even learn to drive when they  are 17. 

54 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I'm all for romanticizing anything BMW, but the E30's interior wasn't very high end.

SAR I

I’m on my 3rd BMW lease, X3. perfect for me. I pay nothing extra and just when it needs tires I give it back. This year, the 2019 model automatic shutoff is a pain in the ass.  It must be disengaged every time you go in the car.  But yes, as a CPA CFP I can tell you the 650 or so a month I pay to be in a BMW is a good value and they treat you well. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I’m on my 3rd BMW lease, X3. perfect for me. I pay nothing extra and just when it needs tires I give it back. This year, the 2019 model automatic shutoff is a pain in the ass.  It must be disengaged every time you go in the car.  But yes, as a CPA CFP I can tell you the 650 or so a month I pay to be in a BMW is a good value and they treat you well. 

Heck, it's worth it for the food just to bring the car in for service

If it's a bigger service you can time it just right to snag the end of breakfast and then be there for lunch :)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

I'm all for romanticizing anything BMW, but the E30's interior wasn't very high end.

SAR I

Stock is trick, you read all the gauges, able to work on the engine. My other  E30 IX AWD, has heated seats etc. from 1989. Far ahead of it's time. I don't need all this BS on a car to enjoy driving. Todays vehicles do everything but wipe you ass for you. No thinking involved, no fun.

I never understood the need for a luxury car.  To me, a car is nothing more than a tool too get me from one point to another.  I have had luxury cars in the past -- never a BMW, but I have owned an Audi & Mercedes.  Then when we had kids and I needed to cut back, we traded in the Mercedes and went to a Saturn.  Since then, I have had a Camry and most recently a used Altima, which I bought 6 years ago.  My kids are both over 25 now.  3 sedans in 25+ years.  They have always gotten me where I need to go.  Paid the Altima off in 36 months.  Have been driving it with no payments for last 3 years. 

I have no interest in ever buying or leasing a luxury car again.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

I never understood the need for a luxury car.  To me, a car is nothing more than a tool too get me from one point to another.  I have had luxury cars in the past -- never a BMW, but I have owned an Audi & Mercedes.  Then when we had kids and I needed to cut back, we traded in the Mercedes and went to a Saturn.  Since then, I have had a Camry and most recently a used Altima, which I bought 6 years ago.  My kids are both over 25 now.  3 sedans in 25+ years.  They have always gotten me where I need to go.  Paid the Altima off in 36 months.  Have been driving it with no payments for last 3 years. 

That worked out well for you.

The reason people drive luxury cars, it's just something fun to have, that's all.  No different than season tickets or a family vacation, it's just something a bit nicer then the norm that makes you feel a bit special.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The reason people drive luxury cars, it's just something fun to have, that's all.  No different than season tickets or a family vacation, it's just something a bit nicer then the norm that makes you feel a bit special.

SAR I

Actually it is much much more than that. It's a straight 6 with perfectly linear power delivery revving up to 7500. It is pulling up a long curve then snapping the opposite way like the car is on rails and your hands aren't connected to the steering wheel but rather the tires themselves. It is the perfect snick snick off a precise shifter and a clutch with perfect feel and response. It's toe and heel. It's being disappointed on that country road because some old geezer in a big American sedan is going really slow around your favorite curves. It is using all four appendages and a huge grin on your face. Luxury has nothing to do with it. Mercedes are luxury vehicles for the pampered, BMW's belong in the hands of drivers or at least it used to be that way. Not sure about that? Go on Tire Rack and check out the specs for the competing models of each, 

not that I have a strong opinion on the subject … :)

As much as ive goofed on leasing and beat sar1 up over it back in the ji days i am actually thinking about leasing my next car. My 328i still feels like new at 115k. 

So if i pay 3k for a lease, in 3 years if i want to release another car at the same dealer do i get a discount ir will I always have to pay the 3k

18 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

As much as ive goofed on leasing and beat sar1 up over it back in the ji days i am actually thinking about leasing my next car. My 328i still feels like new at 115k. 

So if i pay 3k for a lease, in 3 years if i want to release another car at the same dealer do i get a discount ir will I always have to pay the 3k

No money down lease cars with a decent monthly payment, please do tell me where. 

So no suggestions on a good used car that gets good fuel mileage from experience. 

47 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No money down lease cars with a decent monthly payment, please do tell me where. 

So no suggestions on a good used car that gets good fuel mileage from experience. 

Thats what i am asking. Do u have to re pay the 3000 down for your next lease. I dont think its a bizarre question.

you want advice on a good used car? Find a used low mileage 3series. I get 32 mpg at 80 mph and its know to be reliable. Or save moneyand get a camry, anotherproven workhorse. Also, avoid anything and everythingmade by chryslerjeep plymouth. Mopars are the least reliable. They are always on the side of the highways. Open your eyes and take note

6 hours ago, Lith said:

This i dont understand. Its like laying on a $500 walmart sofa vs  a 3000 leather lounger. The feel of a luxury car is distinct. My lincoln continentals were like driving on a cloud. 

I cant understand how going from a mercedes into a plastic kia would be so minor to you but i tip my hat

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Thats what i am asking. Do u have to re pay the 3000 down for your next lease. I dont think its a bizarre question.

you want advice on a good used car? Find a used low mileage 3series. I get 32 mpg at 80 mph and its know to be reliable. Or save moneyand get a camry, anotherproven workhorse. Also, avoid anything and everythingmade by chryslerjeep plymouth. Mopars are the least reliable. They are always on the side of the highways. Open your eyes and take note

I lease a car for my daughter we are soon ending a lease on 2017 VW Jetta $250 a month. 

I cannot find any $0 down leases for payments in the $250 a month range. 

My family owns 3 Chrysler Jeep Grand Cherokees and we have had very good results with all of them. 

My son also needs to purchase a car for work travel,  I think a BMW is a little pricey and costly when it does break down and some of the areas he works in it will be a target for theft. 

My neighbor bought his wife a brand new Kia ranted, raved,bragged about it and the warranty 10 years 100k miles it needed brakes at 19k miles and KIA denied any warranty claims. 

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

They used to be twice the price and lasted twice as long. Nowadays Hondas, Yotas are half the price and go forever.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Lith said:

Please, no common sense, being responsible or practical is allowed on this board.

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

It's a matter of negotiation.  As long as you keep going back to the same dealer, building a rapport, and giving him high marks on Dealerrater he'll work with you.  BMW also has these frequent $1000 savings events like test driving the new 5 Series or something tied to the Olympics, call your dealer about 6 months before you're ready to lease and he'll advise you on how to cut that $3,000 down.

For now, your 328i would likely cover the $3,000 so you could be out the door at $399 or $499 for a new 3 or 4 Series.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Apache 51 said:

They used to be twice the price and lasted twice as long. Nowadays Hondas, Yotas are half the price and go forever.

Price and longevity doesn't matter when you lease.

My 4 Series lease costs $200 more than my Civic lease and it's worth the $200 for the upgrades like leather, widescreen infotainment, wood, quietness, handling, prestige, etc.

SAR I

SAR I

Although I will say .. I traded my 340i in for a Jeep Wrangler ... Guess which is more fun ...and it's not close

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2020 at 9:35 AM, SAR I said:

It's the American dream.  To own a cheap car, to marry the chubby girl who couldn't get a date, to have a blue collar job.  You've got the whole thing down.  My plumber does too.  Except every time he comes to my house he sees one of my 3 BMW's and wants to cry.

SAR I

My plumber is living in a mansion in Florida with a 50' boat and a Bentley convertible.  The guy he sends to my house is working off of his license and gets paid by the hour and leases a BMW.