TNJet

Off Topic Car Question

On 1/2/2020 at 6:59 PM, Dunnie said:

Although I will say .. I traded my 340i in for a Jeep Wrangler ... Guess which is more fun ...and it's not close emoji51.png

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I had 2 wrangler unlimited's and I absolutely loved them. I eventually needed a pickup so I had to go that route. If I could I would be on Wrangler number 5 by now. Something that is capable regardless of weather, has enough room to road trip packed out, and a full removable top and doors, it's a fun car man. At that time I was keeping a place in Palm Beach and I'd do a lot of road trips with the jeep. Also, the resale value is fantastic, way better than the Germans, those things sink like a rock. I will say, I'd rather a wrangler but the Ram Rebel I picked up in July is pretty nice.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 5:37 PM, southparkcpa said:

I’m on my 3rd BMW lease, X3. perfect for me. I pay nothing extra and just when it needs tires I give it back. This year, the 2019 model automatic shutoff is a pain in the ass.  It must be disengaged every time you go in the car.  But yes, as a CPA CFP I can tell you the 650 or so a month I pay to be in a BMW is a good value and they treat you well. 

I leased the X3 in 2015.  I bought a Macan in 2018 when the lease ran out.  The thing I do like about owning a car is if I want to change I can trade out of it today without having to argue over a lease if I don't want to be in the same name plate.  I really liked the BMW but I got bored with it after 2 years. When I get bored with the Macan and if something strikes me I can make a move that day.  In the meantime, it's a great car to drive.  I'm also not opposed to buying used cars.  I bought a 2011 911 GTS in 2014 which I will own forever.  

That's not a knock on the X3.  Very solid, dependable vehicle that's beautifully appointed in and out.  I never bought into owning the same nameplate.  There are so many great cars new and used that sometimes you just have to have it.  I like owning because it gives me flexibility and hasn't really cost me more than leasing.  

• Upvote 1

Planning to buy a used car this weekend.  Been checking out Carmax, looking at 2017-18 Altimas, Camrys, Malibu, etc.  Came across a 2016 BMW 320i with less than 20K miles on it for same price as these other cars.  Checked out the vehicle history report, and no issues/accidents or other concerns reported.  Anything I should know about the 320i -- pricing seems too good to be true.  @SAR I, or anyone elsse have any comments about the 320i before I head out tomorrow with intent of buying it.

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

Planning to buy a used car this weekend.  Been checking out Carmax, looking at 2017-18 Altimas, Camrys, Malibu, etc.  Came across a 2016 BMW 320i with less than 20K miles on it for same price as these other cars.  Checked out the vehicle history report, and no issues/accidents or other concerns reported.  Anything I should know about the 320i -- pricing seems too good to be true.  @SAR I, or anyone elsse have any comments about the 320i before I head out tomorrow with intent of buying it.

When I used to buy a used car, sometimes BMW's, I had my mechanic check it out put it up on a lift check compression, brakes, look for leaks, what it might need money wise, brakes tires etc.., I would give him a $50. Worth it, used cars are a huge market. Don't forget if it's sounds like it's to good to be true, then well you know. Good Luck.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

When I used to buy a used car, sometimes BMW's, I had my mechanic check it out put it up on a lift check compression, brakes, look for leaks, what it might need money wise, brakes tires etc.., I would give him a $50. Worth it, used cars are a huge market. Don't forget if it's sounds like it's to good to be true, then well you know. Good Luck.

Thanks.  Will defintiely have it checked out.  Carmax gives you 7 days to check it out or return for full refund.  Would do that with any used car I buy.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Happy to help.

The 320i is the least expensive 3 Series and if memory serves correctly wasn't available with many options in 2016.  Understand that a BMW is a truly a-la-carte car experience and to get it to "drive like a BMW" it needs a Sport suspension or the Adaptive M-Suspension, neither of which I believe came on the 320i.  People see the $299 lease special on TV and that's fine, it's still a great car in many ways, but that same 3 Series with the luxury package, convenience package, and all-important Sport/M-Sport package drive that price up to $599.  Navigation, satellite radio, leather seats, heated seats, xenon headlights, CarPlay, iPhone integration, fold-down rear seat, auto-dimming mirrors, these features probably aren't on this car.

So......for a low price and with those low miles, if you like the look of the car and the panache of the BMW badge and are okay with it handling at 80% of capability and having 50% of the luxury features, go for it, you'll love it.  But if you want a tricked-out luxury car with all the toys and leather and better handling, you'll likely be disappointed.  Compared to a Malibu and Altima its much better looking and more refined but you'd likely shake your head at the fact that the BMW comes with vinyl seats and has no garage door opener.

Take a test drive.  Pay close attention to what features are/aren't on the car.  Let us know how it went.

SAR I

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Happy to help.

The 320i is the least expensive 3 Series and if memory serves correctly wasn't available with many options in 2016.  Understand that a BMW is a truly a-la-carte car experience and to get it to "drive like a BMW" it needs a Sport suspension or the Adaptive M-Suspension, neither of which I believe came on the 320i.  People see the $299 lease special on TV and that's fine, it's still a great car in many ways, but that same 3 Series with the luxury package, convenience package, and all-important Sport/M-Sport package drive that price up to $599.  Navigation, satellite radio, leather seats, heated seats, xenon headlights, CarPlay, iPhone integration, fold-down rear seat, auto-dimming mirrors, these features probably aren't on this car.

So......for a low price and with those low miles, if you like the look of the car and the panache of the BMW badge and are okay with it handling at 80% of capability and having 50% of the luxury features, go for it, you'll love it.  But if you want a tricked-out luxury car with all the toys and leather and better handling, you'll likely be disappointed.  Compared to a Malibu and Altima its much better looking and more refined but you'd likely shake your head at the fact that the BMW comes with vinyl seats and has no garage door opener.

Take a test drive.  Pay close attention to what features are/aren't on the car.  Let us know how it went.

SAR I

Thanks.  I appreciate the feedback.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Lith said:

Thanks.  I appreciate the feedback.

Don't forget that BMW's are a fortune to maintain compared to other vehicle. 

Another thing to test on the 320i is the autostart system. Your engine shuts off at stop lights and restarts when you take your foot off the brake. Service would give you these as loaner cars and it drove me nuts.  

Also, BMW had long since strayed from their strength and leaned more towards luxury by 2016. Aspects that made these cars the "drivers" cars were softened like steering and the chassis. The last competitive sports car they made was in 2002. Even the M's were unbalanced. After a long long run they disappeared from the C&D 10 best list and lived solely on rep.  See Don Sherman's article from 2016:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15346236/steer-me-feel-me-exploring-why-bmws-no-longer-excel-in-steering-feel/

I love this brand. I am holding onto an older model because they just cannot match the feel from back then. When that goes, I am moving onto another marque. Pained me what Bangle did to the company and it hasn't recovered yet. 

EDIT:

and here's an article on the stop-start issue:

https://www.autonews.com/article/20130928/BLOG06/130929889/why-this-bmw-s-stop-start-is-a-non-starter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

Another thing to test on the 320i is the autostart system. Your engine shuts off at stop lights and restarts when you take your foot off the brake. Service would give you these as loaner cars and it drove me nuts.  

Also, BMW had long since strayed from their strength and leaned more towards luxury by 2016. Aspects that made these cars the "drivers" cars were softened like steering and the chassis. The last competitive sports car they made was in 2002. Even the M's were unbalanced. After a long long run they disappeared from the C&D 10 best list and lived solely on rep.  See Don Sherman's article from 2016:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15346236/steer-me-feel-me-exploring-why-bmws-no-longer-excel-in-steering-feel/

I love this brand. I am holding onto an older model because they just cannot match the feel from back then. When that goes, I am moving onto another marque. Pained me what Bangle did to the company and it hasn't recovered yet. 

EDIT:

https://www.autonews.com/article/20130928/BLOG06/130929889/why-this-bmw-s-stop-start-is-a-non-starter

That article is from 7 yeas ago. Even HYUNDAI has that tech now

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Lith said:

Good luck.

I just bought a used car for my son who turned 17. Lucky for me @lawngnome o-line was selling a nice Honda Accord and we bought it from him. My son is loving life.

I looked all over Facebook Marketplace and it is super sketchy out there. Met one person to look at a car and I thought I was going to end up in the trunk. Two Russian guys came out. They made Ivan Drago look small.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

EDIT:

Thanks for the info.  I had read a bit about the start-stop issue and from what I understand, that feature can be disabled if you don't like it.  It was the one negative about the '16 320i that I have read about over the past few days. The car seems to be pretty well rated aside from that issue, and if it bothers me, I will take it in and have it diabled (going to confirm today that it can be done; I know I saw it mentioned in one of the articles I have read.

I understand the higher maintenance cost -- I have driven Audi and Mercedes in the past, just not recently, so the higher upkeep costs won't shock me.

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Good luck.

I just bought a used car for my son who turned 17. Lucky for me @lawngnome o-line was selling a nice Honda Accord and we bought it from him. My son is loving life.

I looked all over Facebook Marketplace and it is super sketchy out there. Met one person to look at a car and I thought I was going to end up in the trunk. Two Russian guys came out. They made Ivan Drago look small.

Thanks.  I am buying the new car for me and handing my old one, an Altima, over to my daughter-in-law.  I hate the hassle of car buying, I do enough negotiating of deals and Monday thru Friday (nothing to do with cars), that I am looking for an easy, hassle free experience, which is why I am going to CarMax.  Don't want to deal with individuals, used car lots or traditional auto dealers.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

EDIT:

Auto Stop Start can be coded to be disabled.  Costs $50 and 20 minutes of your time. 

The Adaptive M Suspension option solved the handling concerns back then, and the 4 Series being lower and wider is an improvement as well.  My sons would drive mine after driving their E46 and couldn’t tell the difference in handling.  

SAR I

10 hours ago, ECURB said:

That article is from 7 yeas ago. Even HYUNDAI has that tech now

Point is that the 2016 320i has an issue with that. It drove me crazy.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Thanks for the info.  I had read a bit about the start-stop issue and from what I understand, that feature can be disabled if you don't like it.  It was the one negative about the '16 320i that I have read about over the past few days. The car seems to be pretty well rated aside from that issue, and if it bothers me, I will take it in and have it diabled (going to confirm today that it can be done; I know I saw it mentioned in one of the articles I have read.

I understand the higher maintenance cost -- I have driven Audi and Mercedes in the past, just not recently, so the higher upkeep costs won't shock me.

Did you scour sites like Edmunds and Kelly? 

The good thing about cars is that you have access to a boatload of reviews and statistical detail that means something. Weed through whatever fanboy stuff you find (and there tends to be much less than most things) and you get some a great amount of useful information. 

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

Did you scour sites like Edmunds and Kelly? 

The good thing about cars is that you have access to a boatload of reviews and statistical detail that means something. Weed through whatever fanboy stuff you find (and there tends to be much less than most things) and you get some a great amount of useful information. 

Read the reviews on Edmunds.  Both their review and customer reviews.  Pretty much confirms what both you and @SAR I have said.  Two drabacks are the automatic start and stop (which can be disabled) and limited option packages.  But as it is a used car, if I am happy with the options it comes with, the packages available don't really matter.  Other than these issues, reviews were pretty positive.

I really do apprecaite the feedback from you guys.  It helps explain why this particular car is priced as low as it is.

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

Read the reviews on Edmunds.  Both their review and customer reviews.  Pretty much confirms what both you and @SAR I have said.  Two drabacks are the automatic start and stop (which can be disabled) and limited option packages.  But as it is a used car, if I am happy with the options it comes with, the packages available don't really matter.  Other than these issues, reviews were pretty positive.

I really do apprecaite the feedback from you guys.  It helps explain why this particular car is priced as low as it is.

Thanks.

forgot one more additional cost thing ...

When you go to Met life, you really need Green parking rather than Yellow or Orange because you don't park your luxury vehicle next to those KIA's and such :)

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Lith said:

Thanks.

Again-  its a great car, especially at that price and with so few miles.  The negative callouts are really just for those who want to drive very aggressively.  If it's just a daily commuter or car to drive the kids around to hockey practice (95% of the time for me) then you'll love it.  It's a BMW.  There's a lot to love.

SAR I

• Upvote 1