2020 WR thread

maury77

Henry Ruggs- Looks to be right around 6’, maybe a bit shorter. Slight frame, but runs hard and blocks for a thin guy. Doesn’t have to deal with jams often because defenders have to respect his speed. Alabama used him mostly on streaks, but you do see him run different routes at times. His speed and acceleration suggest he may become a very good route runner. Speed is off the charts, Tyreek Hill level speed. He routinely kills angles after the catch because of his speed. There are inevitably going TJ be some John Ross comparisons, which give me some pause. I’d say he is a late 1st rounder, I would not love him at 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, maury77 said:

Henry Ruggs- Looks to be right around 6’, maybe a bit shorter. Slight frame, but runs hard and blocks for a thin guy. Doesn’t have to deal with jams often because defenders have to respect his speed. Alabama used him mostly on streaks, but you do see him run different routes at times. His speed and acceleration suggest he may become a very good route runner. Speed is off the charts, Tyreek Hill level speed. He routinely kills angles after the catch because of his speed. There are inevitably going TJ be some John Ross comparisons, which give me some pause. I’d say he is a late 1st rounder, I would not love him at 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are some concerns/deficiencies in his game that keep him outside the Top 10 for sure.  Size, average route-running, etc. make it hard to advocate for him towards the top of the Draft.  But as you said his speed is ridiculous, and that seems to be where the NFL is going today.  He'll be faster than Mecole Hardman's 4.33 at the Combine is my guess.  Dude is legit 4.2.

An inch taller and a slightly more elaborate route tree....and he's Top 10, right in the conversation with Lamb and Jeudy.  Also, I think Ruggs was knocked out of the last game with a concussion which isn't a positive but as long as he recovers fully I wouldn't let that affect any draft evaluation of him.

IF the Jets end up trading back from #11 to somewhere in the teens then guys like Ruggs, Higgins and Shenault are all on my wish list as quality candidates.  Getting another team's 2nd rounder and still getting a guy like Higgins or Ruggs would almost be the ideal scenario if Wirfs, Thomas, Wills, Jeudy and Lamb are all gone at #11.

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

There are some concerns/deficiencies in his game that keep him outside the Top 10 for sure.  Size, average route-running, etc. make it hard to advocate for him towards the top of the Draft.  But as you said his speed is ridiculous, and that seems to be where the NFL is going today.  He'll be faster than Mecole Hardman's 4.33 at the Combine is my guess.  Dude is legit 4.2.

An inch taller and a slightly more elaborate route tree....and he's Top 10, right in the conversation with Lamb and Jeudy.  Also, I think Ruggs was knocked out of the last game with a concussion which isn't a positive but as long as he recovers fully I wouldn't let that affect any draft evaluation of him.

IF the Jets end up trading back from #11 to somewhere in the teens then guys like Ruggs, Higgins and Shenault are all on my wish list as quality candidates.  Getting another team's 2nd rounder and still getting a guy like Higgins or Ruggs would almost be the ideal scenario if Wirfs, Thomas, Wills, Jeudy and Lamb are all gone at #11.

I agree with your scouting report

• Upvote 1

Leviska Shenault - a bit of an unorthodox prospect in some ways. Good size at about 6'2". Runs hard and has very good speed for his size. He has a little Enunwa to his game in that regard (although he isn't as big). Has some nice releases off the line. Ran different routes at CU, so I think he is more refined in that area than some give him credit for. Good hands. Now .... 2 areas that I think he really suffers in. He is poor at going vertical on contested catches. Also, not very good at tracking the deep ball. 

I think he is a very good #2 WR at the pros, but I don't think you will see as many big plays as you saw in college. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, maury77 said:

Leviska Shenault - a bit of an unorthodox prospect in some ways. Good size at about 6'2". Runs hard and has very good speed for his size. He has a little Enunwa to his game in that regard (although he isn't as big). Has some nice releases off the line. Ran different routes at CU, so I think he is more refined in that area than some give him credit for. Good hands. Now .... 2 areas that I think he really suffers in. He is poor at going vertical on contested catches. Also, not very good at tracking the deep ball. 

I think he is a very good #2 WR at the pros, but I don't think you will see as many big plays as you saw in college. 

Taking Shenault in the first round would scare the hell out of me, especially if he is taken over some of the better WR prospects that would be available.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Taking Shenault in the first round would scare the hell out of me, especially if he is taken over some of the better WR prospects that would be available.  

I'd take Tee in a heartbeat. If Jefferson has a big game his stock will climb even more than it already has been.

13 hours ago, maury77 said:

he looks like a LB masquerading as a WR, IMO... i don't trust his "role" in the NFL, at all. Not enough to spend more than a round 4 pick on him. 

5 safest WRs in this draft (no particular order)

• Tee Higgins
  • Jerry Jeudy
  • Justin Jefferson
  • Denzil Mims (Baylor)
  • Devin Duvernay (Texas)

5 riskiest boom/bust WR (no part. order)

• Laviska Shenault
  • Jalen Reagor (TCU)
  • Tyler Johnson (min)
  • Collin Johnson (texas)
  • KJ Hamler (Penn St)
  • Upvote 2

@Paradis

While Gandy-Golden earned an invitation to the Senior Bowl, multiple team sources say they graded Gandy-Golden in the mid-rounds because of speed concerns. Three teams said they had Gandy-Golden graded as a third- to fourth-rounder, and one team said they had a second- to third-round grade on him. One director of college scouting said they loved everything about Gandy-Golden, but the concerns about him separating in the NFL caused them to have him on Day 2 of the 2020 NFL Draft. Therefore, Gandy-Golden's performance in Mobile and his 40 time at the NFL Scouting Combine are going to be very important. In order to rise, Gandy-Golden needs to show he can create space from cornerbacks and has the quickness to get downfield.

The 2020 NFL Draft is loaded at wide receiver, so Gandy-Golden has little margin for error. If Gandy-Golden doesn't run well at the combine and Senior Bowl, he could be in store for a real slide. Team sources really like him, but the speed concerns have Gandy-Golden receiving mid-round projections entering the postseason.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, King P said:

Yea I can see it... Teams are intrigued and in some cases salivating -- but everyone wants to see him against better competition (Senior Bowl) and want to verify his measurables... Same here!... Not worried about separation though, beyond overall speed. He's got Brandon Marshall-like moves when he attacks the ball...

Honestly, guys like AGG are who the draft circuit serves best. 

• Upvote 1

Tee Higgins - former basketball player and it shows. Tall, lanky fellow who has deceiving deep speed and can get you some YAC. Very nice releases. Ran the full route tree at Clemson and appears refined in this area. Consistently wins against the defender above the rim, whether it is on a deep shot, middle route or in the end zone. He's 6'4" and can jump out of the gym, so I expect this skill set to translate to the next level. He might have the best ball skills in the class and very good hands as well. If I'm going to nitpick, he is a poor blocker and you can see him quit at times on plays where he is not going to be the target. 

I have him at WR2 behind Jeudy as I think HIggins' game will translate faster to the pros than Lamb's game. 

• Upvote 1

If the top ots are gone we are going to have a shot at jeudy or Lamb.  (I still think we have a decent chance to trade down when Tua and herbert fall to 11)

Regardless I like a lot of Wr in this draft and think we can really upgrade this team at that position with two Wr picks.

On 1/8/2020 at 12:05 PM, Paradis said:

• Tee Higgins
  • Jerry Jeudy
  • Justin Jefferson
  • Denzil Mims (Baylor)
  • Devin Duvernay (Texas)

• Laviska Shenault
  • Jalen Reagor (TCU)
  • Tyler Johnson (min)
  • Collin Johnson (texas)
  • KJ Hamler (Penn St)

Curious, where do you place CeeDee Lamb in your list?

16 hours ago, maury77 said:

Tee Higgins - former basketball player and it shows. Tall, lanky fellow who has deceiving deep speed and can get you some YAC. Very nice releases. Ran the full route tree at Clemson and appears refined in this area. Consistently wins against the defender above the rim, whether it is on a deep shot, middle route or in the end zone. He's 6'4" and can jump out of the gym, so I expect this skill set to translate to the next level. He might have the best ball skills in the class and very good hands as well. If I'm going to nitpick, he is a poor blocker and you can see him quit at times on plays where he is not going to be the target. 

I have him at WR2 behind Jeudy as I think HIggins' game will translate faster to the pros than Lamb's game. 

This.  This. This. This.   This is what I absolutely love about this kid, and what the Jets need so desperately.  You need a guy even when “covered” that you throw the ball up to and give your WR a chance to make a play for you.  No one on the Jets has that ability and it would make Sam a much better QB to have a go to guy in the red zone.  

Tee’s hands are as good as they get, and he’s made some incredibly tough catches in his time at Clemson.  He doesn’t have the gaudy stats so people overlook him.  I think he’s the best WR prospect to come out of Clemson since Hopkins, better than Sammy, better than Williams.  IMO his ceiling is higher than Juedy”s because of his hands and the ability to make contested catches.   I typically don’t give “homer “ evaluations of Clemson kids, and try to be as realistic as possible, but Tee is one kid that I would bang the table, jump on the table, dance on the table for in the war room come draft time.  Need and value meet right at pick 11 for this kid.  

I rest my case your honor.  Lol....

• Sympathy 1

On 1/9/2020 at 1:25 AM, King P said:

While Gandy-Golden earned an invitation to the Senior Bowl, multiple team sources say they graded Gandy-Golden in the mid-rounds because of speed concerns. Three teams said they had Gandy-Golden graded as a third- to fourth-rounder, and one team said they had a second- to third-round grade on him. One director of college scouting said they loved everything about Gandy-Golden, but the concerns about him separating in the NFL caused them to have him on Day 2 of the 2020 NFL Draft. Therefore, Gandy-Golden's performance in Mobile and his 40 time at the NFL Scouting Combine are going to be very important. In order to rise, Gandy-Golden needs to show he can create space from cornerbacks and has the quickness to get downfield.

The 2020 NFL Draft is loaded at wide receiver, so Gandy-Golden has little margin for error. If Gandy-Golden doesn't run well at the combine and Senior Bowl, he could be in store for a real slide. Team sources really like him, but the speed concerns have Gandy-Golden receiving mid-round projections entering the postseason.

Anquan Boldin's 40 time was 4.7.  It caused him to fall to the end of the second round in the draft. Then he became the fastest player in NFL history to 600 catches and was one of the main reasons the Ravens  won the SB due to his consistently taking the ball away from defensive backs on poor throws from Joe Flacco.

I've said since I first saw AGG play that he reminds me of Boldin. Now they have another thing in common. Scouts discounting their ability due to their 40 time.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Anquan Boldin's 40 time was 4.7.  It caused him to fall to the end of the second round in the draft. Then he became the fastest player in NFL history to 600 catches and was one of the main reasons the Ravens  won the SB due to his consistently taking the ball away from defensive backs on poor throws from Joe Flacco.

I've said since I first saw AGG play that he reminds me of Boldin. Now they have another thing in common. Scouts discounting their ability due to their 40 time.

I am not discounting the player, but for every Anquan Boldin there are 476,892 Laquan Treadwells.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 1/8/2020 at 12:05 PM, Paradis said:

• Tee Higgins
  • Jerry Jeudy
  • Justin Jefferson
  • Denzil Mims (Baylor)
  • Devin Duvernay (Texas)

• Laviska Shenault
  • Jalen Reagor (TCU)
  • Tyler Johnson (min)
  • Collin Johnson (texas)
  • KJ Hamler (Penn St)

What worries you about Hamler, is it just the height?

Personally I think Hamler may be available in the 2nd and compares well to Ruggs who is a likely first rounder giving a team pretty good round value with Hamler. 

30 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am not discounting the player, but for every Anquan Boldin there are 476,892 Laquan Treadwells.

I understand your point, but what you state is the very definition of "discounting the player" and, in reality, that's what the draft is about, separating the Boldins from the Treadwells. My money is on AGG being more Boldin than Treadwell.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Dinamite said:

Curious, where do you place CeeDee Lamb in your list?

I think he's a first round talent, however there's a few drills i would put him through if I was going to draft him.  He's not as polished as Jeudy, and his "draft media" price tag is inflated. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I understand your point, but what you state is the very definition of "discounting the player" and, in reality, that's what the draft is about, separating the Boldins from the Treadwells. My money is on AGG being more Boldin than Treadwell.

Don't think Boldin's a great comparison. Brandon Marshall is much better. 

I don't know where these "hot takes" on AGG's speed are coming from - but i'm not worried. He doesn't rely on speed for separation. Marshall ran 4.5s... which is about what i would hope for... If he flunks the measurables across the board, then the Dwayne Jarrett concerns will start. 

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

This.  This. This. This.   This is what I absolutely love about this kid, and what the Jets need so desperately.  You need a guy even when “covered” that you throw the ball up to and give your WR a chance to make a play for you.  No one on the Jets has that ability and it would make Sam a much better QB to have a go to guy in the red zone.  

Tee’s hands are as good as they get, and he’s made some incredibly tough catches in his time at Clemson.  He doesn’t have the gaudy stats so people overlook him.  I think he’s the best WR prospect to come out of Clemson since Hopkins, better than Sammy, better than Williams.  IMO his ceiling is higher than Juedy”s because of his hands and the ability to make contested catches.   I typically don’t give “homer “ evaluations of Clemson kids, and try to be as realistic as possible, but Tee is one kid that I would bang the table, jump on the table, dance on the table for in the war room come draft time.  Need and value meet right at pick 11 for this kid.  

It's Jan. and my #1 choice right now at #11 is Tee Higgins.  Dont care about anyone rankings, dont care if LT is the pick here, I think I'm firmly planted in cement on Tee and I really dont see that changing.  Very rarely am I all in this early in the process. But give me this...especially because this is legit a play I could see Sam and him making together in the pros....with 2 feet in ofcourse. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

What worries you about Hamler, is it just the height?

Personally I think Hamler may be available in the 2nd and compares well to Ruggs who is a likely first rounder giving a team pretty good round value with Hamler. 

he's pint sized. he could die if hit hard enough... 

Every year there's a couple "video game controller" players that people gush over the ripples that player could bring to an offense. Penny Hart last year dominated the senior bowl at 5'8 190... nice little Cinderella story. Anyway, since then no one's heard his name ever. 

Tyreek Hill is literally the only successful micro-receiver in the last decade... so I think Hamler's a major boom/bust candidate. 

• Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, Paradis said:

he's pint sized. he could die if hit hard enough... 

Every year there's a couple of this "video game controller" players people masturbate over the ripples that player could bring to an offense. Penny Hart last year dominated the senior bowl at 5'8 190... nice little Cinderella story. Anyway, since then no one's heard his name ever. 

Tyreek Hill is literally the only successful micro-receiver in the last decade... so I think Hamler's a major boom/bust candidate. 

Isn’t he almost identical in size to Marquise Brown?

Im not a huge fan of Hamler and both Brown and a similar player like Desean Jackson both have lengthy injury histories at their size. I’m just saying that teams are picking these guys with elite speed and Hamler certainly seems like he could fill the same role Brown does in Baltimore. 

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Isn’t he almost identical in size to Marquise Brown?

Im not a huge fan of Hamler and both Brown and a similar player like Desean Jackson both have lengthy injury histories at their size. I’m just saying that teams are picking these guys with elite speed and Hamler certainly seems like he could fill the same role Brown does in Baltimore. 

True about Hollywood. Forgot he's only 5'9... he's a such natural receiver though. He plays much bigger than his size. It was just obvious watching his game film that he was going to be successful 

Good point though, worth remembering when watching Hamler. 

On 1/9/2020 at 4:10 PM, maury77 said:

I really, really like Higgins. He reminds me a little bit of AJ Green. Tall, relatively lean 6'4 guy who can go up and get the ball and has good hands, won't break a ton of tackles but has quick feet to get some YAC. Think those feet are part of why he gets loose downfield sometimes too. Seems like somebody you can get the ball to in a number of ways.

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Legit question:  If you had to choose one at the next level would you take Higgins or Ross? 

On 1/1/2020 at 11:12 AM, maury77 said:

Reagor

Jalen Reagor - Love this guy. Short, looks to be about 5'10"-5'11", but well built. Twitchy as hell, his ability to accelerate in open space and get some YAC is very impressive. Hands catcher who shows good hands, but is prone to drop the ball over the middle when he receives a well placed hit. Has a little Steve Smith to his game where even though he is short, he can elevate and beat the defender on contested catches. Give him the ball in space and watch him create. Also a good returner in the kicking game. A solid second round selection and would make a nice replacement for Robby Anderson if he leaves in free agency. Reagor does need to further refine his releases and routes. 

I like Reagor a lot too. Would be cool to get one guy with wheels and one tank on day 2. Reagor/Aiyuk and AGG/Pittman (I know there are more in those categories but those come to mind). Two different guys with non slot exclusive skill sets - built go up and get it guy and field stretcher for Darnold.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Legit question:  If you had to choose one at the next level would you take Higgins or Ross? 

Right now, Higgins by a million miles.  Ross needs to show me some more consistency and toughness at the point of attack.  When he had to step into the 9 position (the traditional x split end against the boundary) in Clemson’s offense when Tee was out against OSU, he played poorly.  He needs a big game against LSU to get back in my good graces...Lol.   Right now Tee is playing the WR position better than anyone else in college.   Ross plays the 5 in CU’s offense, which is like a flanker in the slot off the line.  He struggles with press man sometimes and is why he struggled at the 9 filling in for Tee.  

On 1/8/2020 at 8:01 AM, sec101row23 said:

I read that Shenault is someone who will is going to have to have plays schemed for him to get the ball in his hands.  Ive never watched a single snap of him playing, so I have no idea but curious if anyone else read that, as its something that is a huge negative in my mind.