2020 WR thread

maury77

On 1/31/2020 at 1:40 PM, Paradis said:

I'd be lying if i said i've spend much time watching the post-Harry sun devils... That will change this weekend. I have to find out if that wingspan is apparent in-game

I watched what I could of Aiyuk this morning.  Didn’t really see him win many contested balls, struggles when a defender gets his hands on him at the line of scrimmage.  Doesn’t pluck the ball out of the air like you want given his massive arm length and hand size.  No doubt he can move in the open field though.   Not sure I’m seeing the first round love that he’s been getting.  I like Mims much more.  Mims looks like the much more natural catcher and has way better hands IMO.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

A fair point. I may get carried away by his tape.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I like him too but we can't take a boom/bust chance with any of our first 4 picks IMO.  Here's what the Draft Network has to say on him...

When he’s on the field, Netane Muti showcases an exciting mixture of mobility, power and a tenacious mentality that produces plenty of highlight-reel blocks. He should be an asset for teams in search of lateral mobility to execute in a zone-heavy run scheme and hitting blocks on the move. While there are technical concerns for him to improve upon including bend, control, footwork and hand technique, the biggest concern with Muti is his injury history. He suffered significant season-ending injuries in 2016, 2018 and 2019, bringing into question a players most important ability - his availability. Muti has the makeup of a starter with improved technique but there is plenty to be mindful of when considering a high investment for his services. 

I'd lean more towards a Ben Bredeson, G, Michigan if given the choice.

In some of these mocks I'm seeing and doing the Jets 2nd round spot of #48 is just outside the area where that high-quality Tier 2 group is getting taken.  Aiyuk, Jefferson (LSU), Reagor....all gone in addition to the usual suspects of Lamb, Ruggs, Jeudy, Higgins, etc.

I like Mims but to me he might be a just a little bit of a letdown at #48 as I'd be hoping we could have some better options.

20 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

In some of these mocks I'm seeing and doing the Jets 2nd round spot of #48 is just outside the area where that high-quality Tier 2 group is getting taken.  Aiyuk, Jefferson (LSU), Reagor....all gone in addition to the usual suspects of Lamb, Ruggs, Jeudy, Higgins, etc.

I like Mims but to me he might be a just a little bit of a letdown at #48 as I'd be hoping we could have some better options.

I think when it’s all said and done, Mims won’t be considered a “reach” at 48 come draft time.  The Jets are essentially picking right in the middle of round 2, so it’s conceivable a run on WRs occurs before they pick.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I think when it’s all said and done, Mims won’t be considered a “reach” at 48 come draft time.  The Jets are essentially picking right in the middle of round 2, so it’s conceivable a run on WRs occurs before they pick.  

I'd think the over/under should be about 8 as to how many WRs have been taken prior to #48.

On 2/4/2020 at 1:06 PM, IndianaJet said:

Don't sleep on.....

Obviously not super polished technically but did a better job in tight situations and downfield than I expected for a hybrid QB/WR and super, super explosive. Don't know if the Jets can give him as much time to develop as he may need but feels possible some team with a little less need for a guy to step in and play and more of a desire for a sub package guy to start can do well here.

On 2/4/2020 at 12:33 PM, jetstream23 said:

i predicted last summer he could be a sleeper to wind up in the 1st when all is said and done.... i think that's still holds water IMO... I'd even say that after combines and work outs, he's more likely to go in the 1st, than be there at #48... he's as nearly as good as just about any WR in this draft -- teams/media are just now figuring that out. He's been doing it for years at Baylor. Program was in the sh*tter before is all. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i predicted last summer he could be a sleeper to wind up in the 1st when all is said and done.... i think that's still holds water IMO... I'd even say that after combines and work outs, he's more likely to go in the 1st, than be there at #48... he's as nearly as good as just about any WR in this draft -- teams/media are just now figuring that out. He's been doing it for years at Baylor. Program was in the sh*tter before is all. 

How many WRs do you think get taken before #48? It seems like the number is going up everyday. 

1 hour ago, derp said:

Obviously not super polished technically but did a better job in tight situations and downfield than I expected for a hybrid QB/WR and super, super explosive. Don't know if the Jets can give him as much time to develop as he may need but feels possible some team with a little less need for a guy to step in and play and more of a desire for a sub package guy to start can do well here.

We need play makers and he is certainly one of them.  But I tend to agree, I don't see us drafting him.

He'll end up in Baltimore and become a force in that offense

So I was talking to my old roommate from Clemson, who as I’ve mentioned In the past is heavily involved with the Clemson program and also with the Nike Elite 11 and The Opening showcases, he was saying he was talking with someone who was around the Alabama program and watching Juedy and Ruggs prepare for the combine.  He said Juedy will run way faster than people are thinking right now and cement himself as the undisputed WR1 in this draft and that Ruggs is going to blow away the testing.  Low 4.3’s and a vertical over 40”.   He’ll probably go earlier than the conventional thinking is now.  I could see Ruggs going before Lamb.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So I was talking to my old roommate from Clemson, who as I’ve mentioned In the past is heavily involved with the Clemson program and also with the Nike Elite 11 and The Opening showcases, he was saying he was talking with someone who was around the Alabama program and watching Juedy and Ruggs prepare for the combine.  He said Juedy will run way faster than people are thinking right now and cement himself as the undisputed WR1 in this draft and that Ruggs is going to blow away the testing.  Low 4.3’s and a vertical over 40”.   He’ll probably go earlier than the conventional thinking is now.  

Who does the guy close to the Alabama program think is better?

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

Who does the guy close to the Alabama program think is better?

He said he thinks Ruggs will be the best WR in this draft.   Ruggs isn’t just a small speed guy.   He’s going to measure right at 6’ and 195 pounds, has really good hands, runs good routes and has this ability to go up for balls,  something we might not have seen a lot of in his college tape.  

52 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So I was talking to my old roommate from Clemson, who as I’ve mentioned In the past is heavily involved with the Clemson program and also with the Nike Elite 11 and The Opening showcases, he was saying he was talking with someone who was around the Alabama program and watching Juedy and Ruggs prepare for the combine.  He said Juedy will run way faster than people are thinking right now and cement himself as the undisputed WR1 in this draft and that Ruggs is going to blow away the testing.  Low 4.3’s and a vertical over 40”.   He’ll probably go earlier than the conventional thinking is now.  I could see Ruggs going before Lamb.  

33 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He said he thinks Ruggs will be the best WR in this draft.   Ruggs isn’t just a small speed guy.   He’s going to measure right at 6’ and 195 pounds, has really good hands, runs good routes and has this ability to go up for balls,  something we might not have seen a lot of in his college tape.  

Interesting.  Why would Jeudy cement himself as WR1, if Ruggs will be the best?  Is it just a ceiling vs. floor thing? 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Interesting.  Why would Jeudy cement himself as WR1, if Ruggs will be the best?  Is it just a ceiling vs. floor thing? 

I think because Juedy is NFL ready right now,  Ruggs is too, but not as refined as Juedy right now.  Three years from now Ruggs could be the best of this class.  

• Upvote 1

I think as much as we talk about tackle at 11 there’s a real chance that FA leaves the team in a position where fans still want to go tackle but Douglas goes WR. Conklin, Thuney/Glasgow, Beachum, Lewis in FA and Edoga and day 2/3 guys at T, G, and C compete for spots. Maybe I’m just used to Maccagnan’s approach though.

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Interesting. 

Ruggs gets a lot of love in the draft community... sort of the consensus #3 behind Jeudy and Lamb... I haven't been on board with that prognosis, but maybe I need to go back and dig deeper. 

The important takeaway (that's becoming more obvious by the day) is that there's going to be 6-8 really good WRs who can be "that guy" for a team... which is pretty crazy.  The drop off isn't going to be as significant - as it usually is - until much later.  

16 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

This is my main concern (really only concern as I think the drop thing is a bit overblown) with Jeudy. Not that he can’t go up and get it or make tough catches, but that he gets so much separation that I don’t think I’ve ever seen him have to. In the few times when he was draped he was able to use late hands perfectly. Honestly I think the only contested jump ball play I’ve seen on any of his tape was a play from the Alabama spring game heading into his freshman year, which was extremely impressive but I’d definitely like a bigger sample size.

I expect him to run sub 4.4 or right around there at the combine, but I’m more interested in his vertical. That to me will help answer the question if he’s more Amari Cooper or OBJ.

As for Ruggs it wouldn’t shock me in the slightest if he runs sub 4.3, his speed jumps off the screen in the same way Tyreek Hill’s does. And I agree that people are pigeon-holing him a bit and he’s a better route runner then he’s given credit for. Definitely interesting what your buddy had to say about his jump ball/contested catch ability, because like Jeudy I don’t think I saw many of those situations for him (haven’t watched him nearly as much as I’ve watched Jeudy though). I’m guessing this was just a function of Bama’s offense?

7 hours ago, jvill 51 said:

This is my main concern (really only concern as I think the drop thing is a bit overblown) with Jeudy. Not that he can’t go up and get it or make tough catches, but that he gets so much separation that I don’t think I’ve ever seen him have to. In the few times when he was draped he was able to use late hands perfectly. Honestly I think the only contested jump ball play I’ve seen on any of his tape was a play from the Alabama spring game heading into his freshman year, which was extremely impressive but I’d definitely like a bigger sample size.

I expect him to run sub 4.4 or right around there at the combine, but I’m more interested in his vertical. That to me will help answer the question if he’s more Amari Cooper or OBJ.

As for Ruggs it wouldn’t shock me in the slightest if he runs sub 4.3, his speed jumps off the screen in the same way Tyreek Hill’s does. And I agree that people are pigeon-holing him a bit and he’s a better route runner then he’s given credit for. Definitely interesting what your buddy had to say about his jump ball/contested catch ability, because like Jeudy I don’t think I saw many of those situations for him (haven’t watched him nearly as much as I’ve watched Jeudy though). I’m guessing this was just a function of Bama’s offense?

As far as Ruggs goes, it’s a function of him being able to create a lot of separation in college and the lack of targets.  He only had 40 catches this season, so the sample size is smaller.  What my buddy was saying was that just because he might not exhibited a lot of those type of catches doesn’t mean he isn’t capable of them.  Ruggs is a tough kid with really good hands and a vertical jump that will open people’s eyes IMO.  This isn’t John Ross or Tavon Austin or any number of other guys that were just fast and got vastly over drafted.  

21 hours ago, Paradis said:

Interesting. 

Ruggs gets a lot of love in the draft community... sort of the consensus #3 behind Jeudy and Lamb... I haven't been on board with that prognosis, but maybe I need to go back and dig deeper. 

The important takeaway (that's becoming more obvious by the day) is that there's going to be 6-8 really good WRs who can be "that guy" for a team... which is pretty crazy.  The drop off isn't going to be as significant - as it usually is - until much later.  

What will be really interesting is if the Jets go OT at 11, what WRs will be there at 48?  I have a feeling that Juedy, Lamb, Ruggs, go in the top 15 picks, then I fear a run on some of the other guys at around 25 to around 40.   It’s going to be excruciating watching those 37 picks from 11 to 48.  Can 8 WRs go in the first 47 picks?  Given the talent in this class it’s not impossible.  

57 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

What will be really interesting is if the Jets go OT at 11, what WRs will be there at 48?  I have a feeling that Juedy, Lamb, Ruggs, go in the top 15 picks, then I fear a run on some of the other guys at around 25 to around 40.   It’s going to be excruciating watching those 37 picks from 11 to 48.  Can 8 WRs go in the first 47 picks?  Given the talent in this class it’s not impossible.  

That's why Douglas will have to determine how he sees the depth of the OT and WR positions. Can you get a better OT at 48 than you can a WR? FWIW, I believe McShay said there could be up to 17 WR's taken in first 2 rds. How does your guy Tee Higgins fit in? Gotta be top 25?

Jeudy reminds me of Cooper as an on the ground receiver, granted I expect Jeudy to be faster and he’s a little more slippery after the catch. Realistically the Jets need size and field stretching so they could go Jeudy and come back with like AGG, Pittman, Edwards, etc later.

Alabama produces those guys. Tight ends too really. Howard and Smith were the same. Julio’s the only absolute do everything freak pass catcher to come out of there and the comps get thrown out far too easily.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

That's why Douglas will have to determine how he sees the depth of the OT and WR positions. Can you get a better OT at 48 than you can a WR? FWIW, I believe McShay said there could be up to 17 WR's taken in first 2 rds. How does your guy Tee Higgins fit in? Gotta be top 25?

but since the OL also factors into the run game, and mccagnan has ignored the position for years, it probably pays to just take the OL in the first round and get the best guy to protect darnold and help out the run game.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

but since the OL also factors into the run game, and mccagnan has ignored the position for years, it probably pays to just take the OL in the first round and get the best guy to protect darnold and help out the run game.  

Agree, as long as it's something to help Sam.

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

The more I think about it, if we get our OT at 11, then I really think a trade up in R2 could be a possibility.  If there is a run on WRs and we can flip our 2nd 3 to move up 12-15 spots, or our 4 to move up 5-7 spots, I think that could be in play. 

We always talk about trading back, but if WRs are flying off the board in early R2, I could see us going up and getting a J Jefferson, Mims, Reagor Aiyuk, Higgins type rather than rolling the dice and waiting until 48.

• Upvote 3

I do not want to trade up, we can't shed draft picks imo.  I still think there are good WR's even after that 2nd tier in round 2.  Dude from Minnesota, dude from Texas.  I think there is still plenty of talent at WR even if we use at least one of our top 3 round picks on a CB or edge rusher.

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I do not want to trade up, we can't shed draft picks imo.  I still think there are good WR's even after that 2nd tier in round 2.  Dude from Minnesota, dude from Texas.  I think there is still plenty of talent at WR even if we use at least one of our top 3 round picks on a CB or edge rusher.

Only way that I would advocate thinking about a trade up would be if we got our OT in R1, and there is a run on WRs in early R2.  I want to see us come out of this draft with a top end talent at both OT and WR.  I would be okay if JD gave up the 2nd 3 or preferably our 4 to go get a guy he really likes rather than wait around for whomever is left..