2020 WR thread

maury77

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Only way that I would advocate thinking about a trade up would be if we got our OT in R1, and there is a run on WRs in early R2.  I want to see us come out of this draft with a top end talent at both OT and WR.  I would be okay if JD gave up the 2nd 3 or preferably our 4 to go get a guy he really likes rather than wait around for whomever is left..

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.  I foresee us filling solidly 4 holes with those first 4 picks.  Even if we get our preferred OT at 11 I still want at least one more olineman in the top 4 picks.  We have so many holes.  We badly need a CB, an edge guy, at least two olineman (I hope we take 3 in the draft) and as noted at least two WRs.

The Wr we target in a trade up would have to be a lot better than guys that just fall to us. 

18 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So I’m hearing my boy Tee Higgins isn’t going to run well at the combine, at least nothing eye opening.  Will be interesting to see.  He could get pushed into the top of the 2nd, could he be there at 48?  I’d say unlikely, but boy it would be nice if he fell there.   

No shot in hell, unless Macc is drafting for all 32 teams.Won't make it past #20.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Yes....he played with Stafford, right?

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Only his freshman year I believe.  

Yup.  Freshman season with Stafford, Junior season with Aaron Murray.  And a year with the immortal Joe Cox sandwiched in between them.

7 hours ago, section314 said:

No shot in hell, unless Macc is drafting for all 32 teams.Won't make it past #20.

I agree, but mocks are interesting right now.   I was seeing Tee Higgins fairly consistently going as the 4th WR after Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs in most mocks, right around the Shenault area late in Round 1.  Now he's somewhere either ahead or even behind guys like Justin Jefferson, Jalen Reagor, Brandon Ayuik, etc.  I think he could be as high as a Top 20 pick or as low as #47 (knowing our luck!!!)

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I agree, but mocks are interesting right now.   I was seeing Tee Higgins fairly consistently going as the 4th WR after Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs in most mocks, right around the Shenault area late in Round 1.  Now he's somewhere either ahead or even behind guys like Justin Jefferson, Jalen Reagor, Brandon Ayuik, etc.  I think he could be as high as a Top 20 pick or as low as #47 (knowing our luck!!!)

I think recently a lot of receivers get too much hype and are slotted and mocked way higher than they actually go.  Last year was a perfect example of this.   This years depth and quality is different, but I still think there are too many guys with first round hype right now.  Are 6 WRs going to go in the first?  That seems like a lot.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I think recently a lot of receivers get too much hype and are slotted and mocked way higher than they actually go.  Last year was a perfect example of this.   This years depth and quality is different, but I still think there are too many guys with first round hype right now.  Are 6 WRs going to go in the first?  That seems like a lot.  

Lamb, Jeudy and Ruggs seem like locks for Round 1.  Given the Eagles, Patriots and other WR-needy teams picking late in the 1st I could see one or two more going....probably two out of Shenault, Higgins, Reagor, Jefferson.  (Again, this is all pre-Combine speculation.)

Just did a mock where Higgins actually went 53rd to the Eagles with Hamler, Jefferson and Ayuik all going a few picks before him.

1207640086_ScreenShot2020-02-15at3_03_57PM.png.00e53039b35f4c1b8db252092d628ef9.png

10 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

So I’m hearing my boy Tee Higgins isn’t going to run well at the combine, at least nothing eye opening.  Will be interesting to see.  He could get pushed into the top of the 2nd, could he be there at 48?  I’d say unlikely, but boy it would be nice if he fell there.   

I think Higgins' stock is pretty stable. If he slides into day 2, it'll be the shiny new toy syndrome... couple guys might light it up elsewhere and draw some serious FOMO around the league.... still making it to pick #33, is not the same as making it to pick #48. 

I think @jetstream23 asked how many WRs could go before #48, and you indirectly postulated 8 might the number.... i'd say that's about right. Maybe on the high end... you're gonna see 4 QBs probably, 2-3 RBs/TEs, 10 DBs, 10+10 in the trenches on both sides of the ball... 

So yea, 7-8 is quite possible. 

Gone by #50 for sure

• Jeudy
  • Lamb
  • Higgins
  • Jefferson
  • Ruggs
  • Mims
  • KJ Hill
  • Aiyuk

Gone by #100

• Reagor
  • Shenault
  • Claypool
  • AGG
  • Pittman
  • Edwards
  • I. Hodgins
  • Hamler

Orbiting/fluid

• V Jefferson
  • G Davis
  • E Emezie
  • C Johnson
  • T Johnson
  • Q Davis
  • J Jennings
  • D Duvernay
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Paradis said:

Gone by #100

• Reagor
  • Shenault
  • Claypool
  • AGG
  • Pittman
  • Edwards
  • I. Hodgins
  • Hamler

Orbiting/fluid

• V Jefferson
  • G Davis
  • E Emezie
  • C Johnson
  • T Johnson
  • Q Davis
  • J Jennings
  • D Duvernay

And this is why it could be disaster to wait until R3 and R4 to address WR.  The top, immediate impact guys will be gone.  As will some of the tier 2/3 guys -- likely Shenault and Reagor will be gone by the time we are on the board in 3.  Maybe a couple of other guys too.  We will be looking at talented developmental players or safe high floor low ceiling prospects.

We need to invest early in WR.  If not at 11, then at 48.  I usually get killed for saying this, but a trade up from 48 should be in play in R2, depending on how the draft falls.  If we need to give up a 4 to move up 4 or 5 spots to get a first tier guy that we really like, then should be a possibility.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Lith said:

And this is why it could be disaster to wait until R3 and R4 to address WR.  The top, immediate impact guys will be gone.  As will some of the tier 2/3 guys -- likely Shenault and Reagor will be gone by the time we are on the board in 3.  Maybe a couple of other guys too.  We will be looking at talented developmental players or safe high floor low ceiling prospects.

We need to invest early in WR.  If not at 11, then at 48.  I usually get killed for saying this, but a trade up from 48 should be in play in R2, depending on how the draft falls.  If we need to give up a 4 to move up 4 or 5 spots to get a first tier guy that we really like, then should be a possibility.

Agree 1000000000%.  If it’s OT at 11, then 48 NEEDS to be a WR.   I wouldn’t object if they flipped one of the 3rd round picks to move up from 48.  I would prefer higher quality in the second over quantity.  

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agree 1000000000%.  If it’s OT at 11, then 48 NEEDS to be a WR.   I wouldn’t object if they flipped one of the 3rd round picks to move up from 48.  I would prefer higher quality in the second over quantity.  

Or just trade Adams for a first draft a stud like Becton at 11 then a WR like Lamb or Ruggs later in rd 1

See?  Everyone wins

On 2/15/2020 at 8:08 AM, sec101row23 said:

What do we need for that to happen?

4.6?  

We saw him get open including deep for years. 

I think we need a few other guys to run really well to push him that far to us. 

15 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

What do we need for that to happen?

4.6?  

We saw him get open including deep for years. 

I think we need a few other guys to run really well to push him that far to us. 

4.6 would be a disaster for Tee, doubtful he runs that slow.   Most likely he’s right around 4.52.  If he runs sub 4.5, he won’t get past Green Bay at 30.  

Deep class, resist the urge to trade up.

Tier 3 guys are not that far off and in some cases will be better than tier 2 guys from the list above.

The class is good but even with the very top guys I see no must haves.

The only way I can be in favour of a trade up in round two is if we trade down in round 1.

We need all of our picks and more.

5 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

If the jets let Anderson walk, then that money will likely be reallocated to the OL in FA, and if Douglas wants grade A weapons for darnold, then the #11 pick could well be used on a wr if he thinks he’s getting an elite wr talent on a rookie deal.  They could still draft tackles in the 2nd and/or 3rd round who would probably still be good prospects to develop who could start either later in 2020 or next year.  But the Robbie Anderson decision seems to be one that starts a domino effect since it would be obvious that they will need several new weapons on that offense.  

6 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

If the jets let Anderson walk, then that money will likely be reallocated to the OL in FA, and if Douglas wants grade A weapons for darnold, then the #11 pick could well be used on a wr if he thinks he’s getting an elite wr talent on a rookie deal.  They could still draft tackles in the 2nd and/or 3rd round who would probably still be good prospects to develop who could start either later in 2020 or next year.  But the Robbie Anderson decision seems to be one that starts a domino effect since it would be obvious that they will need several new weapons on that offense.  

This is also a very slow team without RA