2020 WR thread

maury77

20 hours ago, section314 said:

He literally knew something, and had watched tape, on almost every guy in the draft. I remember two years ago when we drafted Herndon, he absolutely loved the pick. Said that if he had not got hurt late that year, he would have been a fringe late 1st/really early 2nd rd pick. Just using that example because it was a Jet pick, but he was so on point with his stuff.

I really liked Mayock as well.  He put in the work on all these prospects.  When you put out opinions on so many prospects you are obviously going to get some wrong.  

• Upvote 3

I think Henry Ruggs and Justin Jefferson really helped themselves today at the Combine.  Ruggs ran wild (4.28) and Jefferson ran sub 4.5 (speed was a bit of a question with him).

I think 6 of these 7 guys could now go in Round 1 - Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, Jefferson, Higgins, Shenault, Aiyuk.  Not exactly sure which 6 though.

Jalen Reagor ran slower than I expected, about 4.47.  I think that will hurt him but it could put him in play in Rd. 3 for the Jets early pick.  Denzel Mims is looking like a candidate for that #48 spot as well.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Could be as high as the 7th or 8th best WR IMO....definitely looking Top 10.

Way higher....he's going in the first round. He checks every box with his size, speed, explosiveness, and then you watch his tape and he's a monster. Todays combine only validated what you could see on his tape. 

1 minute ago, RobR said:

Way higher....he's going in the first round. He checks every box with his size, speed, explosiveness, and then you watch his tape and he's a monster. Todays combine only validated what you could see on his tape. 

I'd agree with you but only 32 players can go in Round 1 and it's starting to sound like 18 of them will be WRs! lol

Seriously, I heard someone say tonight that Justin Jefferson and Brandon Aiyuk will be 1st rounders....that's in addition to the 5 or 6 we already expect in Round 1.

Just now, jetstream23 said:

I'd agree with you but only 32 players can go in Round 1 and it's starting to sound like 18 of them will be WRs! lol

Seriously, I heard someone say tonight that Justin Jefferson and Brandon Aiyuk will be 1st rounders....that's in addition to the 5 or 6 we already expect in Round 1.

I would take Mims over the local flavor of the day in Ruggs every time. I think Mims goes no later than the 5th WR in this draft which should place him in the first round.

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

I would take Mims over the local flavor of the day in Ruggs every time. I think Mims goes no later than the 5th WR in this draft which should place him in the first round.

No later than 5th is a bold call.  You're putting him ahead of Ruggs or ahead of Higgins or Shenault (assuming you're not putting him ahead of Lamb or Jeudy)?

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

I think this is a very good point.  No matter where they *should* be taken, what's the upper limit on number of receivers taken by pick 48?  12?  That would mean 1 out of every 4 picks are receivers.

And then how many receivers would you say should have a 1st or 2nd round grade?  It seems like a great value will fall just because of the math.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, thshadow said:

I think this is a very good point.  No matter where they *should* be taken, what's the upper limit on number of receivers taken by pick 48?  12?  That would mean 1 out of every 4 picks are receivers.

And then how many receivers would you say should have a 1st or 2nd round grade?  It seems like a great value will fall just because of the math.

And, how many teams will try to execute a similar strategy to what many of our fans want to see, namely waiting on a WR and going with another position like OT early simply because WR is so deep and teams feel like they'll be able to get a good one later in Rounds 2 - 4?

If everyone has the same plan then I'd guess WRs start getting taken a little later than they should but then there's a sudden run on WRs where like 5 go within 8-10 picks.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

Wow this is an impressive class. Ruggs showing rare speed and Claypool running like Megatron- 4.42 at 6’4” 238. These kids are unbelievable freaks and are going to be a real problem for defenses

NEW STRATEGY!  We have to go defense....Edge in Round 1 and CB in Round 2 to combat all these new WRs coming into the league!

:P

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

And, how many teams will try to execute a similar strategy to what many of our fans want to see, namely waiting on a WR and going with another position like OT early simply because WR is so deep and teams feel like they'll be able to get a good one later in Rounds 2 - 4?

If everyone has the same plan then I'd guess WRs start getting taken a little later than they should but then there's a sudden run on WRs where like 5 go within 8-10 picks.

Totally agree. When you have a strong draft at certain positions you need too dip into that talent pool as often and early as you can. Waiting for the nuggets to fall through the screen with the hopes that one turns out is like mining for fools gold. 

• Upvote 1

Think we're looking at this draft through the eye of a needle because we need Oline & WRs so bad. Not every team has a Dline as good as the Jets were stopping the run last year or CJ Mosely or Jamal Adams. 

We've been so pathetic on offense while many other teams were pathetic on defense. It will be interesting but I believe teams will believe they can wait on some of these guys allowing a real stud WR to drop in our laps at #2 if we get a LT at #11. 

I think the odd man out is going to be Lavista Shenault.  He didnt run a great 40, isnt a great route runner and will need to have the ball schemed to him more then these other guys.  Why take a shot on someone like that in round 1 when you can take an actual, well-rounded WR?

I thought Shenault got hurt before his first run, pulled up kind of funny towards the end after they made him restart. And then didn’t run again right? Still think he’s a potential faller but it’s those injuries and the rawness you mentioned. I like him though. Can get used like Deebo Samuel early and he’s a hands catcher.

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

No later than 5th is a bold call.  You're putting him ahead of Ruggs or ahead of Higgins or Shenault (assuming you're not putting him ahead of Lamb or Jeudy)?

Keep in mind, these "boards" and "rankings" are completely media/draft pundit driven.

• In some draft classes, it's super easy to project consensus top 5. This is not one of those classes.
  • I guarantee some Teams will have Aiyuk in the top 5, others won't have him higher than a 3rd rnd grade
  • The public gets enamored with big plays such, but teams are looking for scheme fit and projection predictability too
  • Down and Distance flexibility:  Mims>>>>>>Reagor, Aiyuk, Ruggs, Shenault
  • Mims will have a 1st rnd grade from some teams. Whether or not they have other needs or players with higher grades?... #pray
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, derp said:

I thought Shenault got hurt before his first run, pulled up kind of funny towards the end after they made him restart. And then didn’t run again right? Still think he’s a potential faller but it’s those injuries and the rawness you mentioned. I like him though. Can get used like Deebo Samuel early and he’s a hands catcher.

Yeah not a good look for a guy with injury flags to get hurt running the 40. I had him as a second round target but I’m knocking him down

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

What’s the story with Tee Higgins? His stock seems to be falling cause he didn’t partake in the combine? The kid is a beast tho wonder if he’s gonna fall to us in rd 2. I always assumed he was gonna be the 3rd WR off the board 

Could be Round 2 but likely not, and I can’t imagine him lasting to 48 although I’d love it. 

2 hours ago, Jethead said:

If Thomas, Wirfs and Wills are gone by the time the Jets pick, I hope we go Ceedee in Round1 and Isaiah Wilson in Round2.

Unfortunately, I think this is most likely scenario.

Wills probably will be available to the Jets by the sound of things, apparently many teams have taken him off their tackle boards as he projects as a guard at the next level. 

• Sympathy 1