2020 WR thread

maury77

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Nothing to do with football, but my goodness he’s explosive...Lol. 

Are you implying you would be OK with Ruggs at 11? There were games last year where I thought he was the fourth best receiver on the field for Bama.

9 hours ago, RobR said:

Are you implying you would be OK with Ruggs at 11? There were games last year where I thought he was the fourth best receiver on the field for Bama.

No, I’m just saying he’s a ridiculous athlete.   Guys his size rarely have that kind of leaping ability.   He’s going to have a very good pro career.  

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That's fine if there's no Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones "elite WR" in this Draft....we're talking about the 11th pick, not the 2nd or 6th.  And guys like Jeudy or Lamb fit well in that 10-15 range.

I’ll take a better Amari Cooper at 11

On 2/29/2020 at 10:56 PM, RobR said:

Funny, I had the same thought many times watching Q the year before....he's like the 4th or 5th best defender for Alabama.

11 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m hearing more of a 4.54 official for Tee today.  

Which is about where you would expect him to be.  Never saw him as a 4.4 guy watching him play. 

Based on the 4.54 and some of his other numbers, he could still be in play at 48.  If he ran 4.4, he was not gonna make it to us.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Lith said:

Which is about where you would expect him to be.  Never saw him as a 4.4 guy watching him play. 

Based on the 4.54 and some of his other numbers, he could still be in play at 48.  If he ran 4.4, he was not gonna make it to us.

Agreed.  It will be close.  The countdown to pick 48 is going to Be tense.  

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

That I’m not as worried about, worst case they get a great WR prospect.  

Maybe I will be less concerned after I see what happens in Free Agency, but if we don't get significant OL help between now and draft day, then I will be sweating out the top 10.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m hearing more of a 4.54 official for Tee today.  

That is still a good time for him. I was scared of it being over 4.7 which would have sent his stock plummeting.

• Upvote 1

Since Duvernay has been the flavor du jour, i started to do a deep dive... 

I want everyone to take 3 mins to watch him play LSU

tell me you don't see shades of Boldin... 

But to be more practical or level headed about assessing Duvernay, he really takes the Edelman role in an offense. Clearly that role is more valued in certain offenses more than others, but he completely owns his space. Plays through DBs like a hot a knife, drops nothing, and has an innate sense of timing... just natural baller.

give me double D or gimme death. 

Just watched Lamb vs Iowa St.... not a lot of useful NFL film there.

Lamb's eval is far more challenging than people are leading on. The trepidation that existed prior to 2019 season was well founded - and evaporated this year for no reason that i can find. 

I think there's a bigger learning curve that people realize for Lamb. 

• Upvote 1

Baylor game is better... (Lamb) but it's all Lamb doing his best Percy Harvin impression after the catch. Hurts doesn't make it easy to evaluate. 

The guy is a baller, but i think there's more work to be done on his route running than is being advertised. On the few press plays, he's not working the DB around like Mims/Pittman/Jefferson... higher ceiling? Maybe. But ready to start year 1 might be reaching. He's probably going to land closer to WR4 or WR5 for me.  

• WTF? 1

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

Baylor game is better... (Lamb) but it's all Lamb doing his best Percy Harvin impression after the catch. Hurts doesn't make it easy to evaluate. 

The guy is a baller, but i think there's more work to be done on his route running than is being advertised. On the few press plays, he's not working the DB around like Mims/Pittman/Jefferson... higher ceiling? Maybe. But ready to start year 1 might be reaching. He's probably going to land closer to WR4 or WR5 for me.  

I ageee.  I don’t see any real separation between guys like Juedy, Lamb, and then Mims, Jefferson, Higgins.   The only guy that IMO has traits that really separates himself is Ruggs.  I don’t recall seeing a guy who is as fast as Ruggs and also has the explosion numbers that Ruggs posses.  4.27 with a 42” vertical is rare.  Plus he has over 10” hands.  There is a lot  to work with.  

50 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I ageee.  I don’t see any real separation between guys like Juedy, Lamb, and then Mims, Jefferson, Higgins.   The only guy that IMO has traits that really separates himself is Ruggs.  I don’t recall seeing a guy who is as fast as Ruggs and also has the explosion numbers that Ruggs posses.  4.27 with a 42” vertical is rare.  Plus he has over 10” hands.  There is a lot there to work with.  

What about Aiyuk?  He’d be a great fit in this offense.  

Totally agree on Lamb. I think WR evals are fun since there is a lot to unpack but as an amateur analyst it comes down to 1) how did you create/earn yardage in college and 2) do you have the tools to do that at the pro level? Of course neither of those matters if you can’t consistently hands catch balls and do so outside your frame.

Before the catch Lamb isn’t a super nuanced route runner or particularly fast - don’t think he’s just going to get open. The Oklahoma offense was beneficial in that regard. He’s also not that big or strong - not a dominant catch point guy. Good for sure at that level but I’m not sure any of that definitively translates. And he ate a lot after the catch but again not particularly strong or fast. Not sure he does that at the professional level either. Almost seems like the guy who’s really good at the position and just big and fast and athletic enough to be a dominant college guy but I see more of a strong #2 than an alpha #1 at the NFL level. 

One interesting thing about Lamb that either is indicative of him training really well or perhaps a unique trait - his 10 yard split was the second best in the WR class. Only Ruggs was faster. Perhaps indicative of a unique burst? Maybe not but interesting. Potentially explains him separating from guys after the catch even if he lacks that elite long speed a little.

Ruggs is particularly tricky because you see the tools but don’t necessarily see what he did with those in college. Of course he was on an absolutely stacked offense. Would’ve been a much easier eval if he was getting force fed at a less dominant program.

Do think we get too caught up in raw production and visibility too much and guys who have the benefit of good quarterback play and/or being at bigger schools get pushed up and guys who do a lot with mediocre quarterback play at smaller schools go less noticed.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

Before the catch Lamb isn’t a super nuanced route runner or particularly fast - don’t think he’s just going to get open. The Oklahoma offense was beneficial in that regard. He’s also not that big or strong - not a dominant catch point guy. Good for sure at that level but I’m not sure any of that definitively translates. And he ate a lot after the catch but again not particularly strong or fast. Not sure he does that at the professional level either. Almost seems like the guy who’s really good at the position and just big and fast and athletic enough to be a dominant college guy but I see more of a stro.

If you watch the Baylor game, he’s often left 1-1 on the outside late in the game against a scrub DB with no safety in sight.... no 8 yard cushion... that should be an automatic for a guy who’s apparently top 10 material.

Instead Lamb basically just runs at the DB without any real intend, or finesse. As a result he gets no separation, route is busted and there’s no play to be made. Compared to a Jefferson or Mims, it’s staggering  

im not saying he’ll die in press coverage, as I do think he plays through contact well, but his route running is nonexistent. If you hang around QBs, they’ll talk about tops - or working on the top of the routes. I’m not sure Lamb where to find a top ?

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I ageee.  I don’t see any real separation between guys like Juedy, Lamb, and then Mims, Jefferson, Higgins.   The only guy that IMO has traits that really separates himself is Ruggs.  I don’t recall seeing a guy who is as fast as Ruggs and also has the explosion numbers that Ruggs posses.  4.27 with a 42” vertical is rare.  Plus he has over 10” hands.  There is a lot  to work with.  

You're really that sold on Ruggs hey? I'm doing a full sweep with fresh eyes. Next up is Reagor.