Vyncint Smith or Robbie Anderson?

Vyncint Smith or Robbie Anderson ?   

86 members have voted

1. 1. Vyncint Smith or Robbie Anderson ?

• Jets should resign Robbie Anderson because of his steady development and chemistry with Sam Darnald
    • Jets should continue to develop Vyncint Smith to replace Robbie Anderson and spend the money at other positions

9 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I would like Robby back, I would be surprised if it happens though. Gase seems to not be really high on Robby. They will most likely not match what he will get offered elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Both actually.

Interesting. I’d imagine Gase’s grievance with Robby relates to him being unreliable on routes (either through mental error or getting pushed around), and how deleterious that is for Darnold’s development. I could see Gase wanting a bunch of Alshon Jeffrey types who get to where they’re supposed to be so the QB doesn’t have to guess as much. That would seem to be where Gase’s criticism of the receivers was directed earlier in the season, and we saw a bunch of it late where Anderson couldn’t come up with some catches because the corner was simply more physical than him. If that’s the case, and Robby walks, I don’t think it’d be an impossible task to find guys who can simply get to a spot and post up. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, choon328 said:

"Steady Development" is not accurate for Robby. He's plateaued as a WR at this point. 

I still think he gets out-muscled at the line too much, especially for a supposed #1 receiver. But to his credit, and just to my eyes,  he seems improved both in his route running and with his hands. He’s pulled in some nice balls this season that I don’t know he gets last year. Still not a #1. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I don’t see this as an either/or situation. Signing Robby comes down to one thing and one thing only: does the Jets front office believe that he’s a good risk to give a $40-50M contract. That’s it. His production has earned a deal that size, and he’s gonna get it from somewhere  

And I get that he’s skinny, but he’s not frail. Dude stays on the field. 

Whatever they decide with Robby, Vyncint should contintue to be developed. 

+100  Is anybody looking at the Chiefs?  They have an entire stable of talented WR's and didn't slow down at all when Tyreek Hill was out. There is no either/or here especially with what we hope is a franchise QB under center.  #Weaponz

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

look at his Qbs and talk to me about plateau.

he can be more productive w/ better QBing. Still not an earth shattering talent by any means.

Until he learns to be a better route runner he won't get better or have better numbers.  I don't care who the QB is. The difference between him and a Tyreek Hill, DeSean Jackson in his prime etc. is their ability to take a 5 yard slant 80 yards.  Robby is not elusive at all and without that ability his numbers will always be capped at just about where they've been the last 3 years.  That doesn't mean he's bad by any means but you can find that same player for a lot cheaper then what he's looking for. The Jets need to protect Darnold first and foremost this off-season like they should have done last off-season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Smith has shown he can be a deep threat. Both basically have the same measurables(6'3ish, 190-200lbs ish, sub 4.4 40)

I'm not a huge fan of Robbie. Send him away, draft a true #1 WR like Lamb or Jeudy and have WR1/Crowder/Smith/pass catching TE/Bell out the backfield.

Lol. When?

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

Until he learns to be a better route runner he won't get better or have better numbers.  I don't care who the QB is. The difference between him and a Tyreek Hill, DeSean Jackson in his prime etc. is their ability to take a 5 yard slant 80 yards.  Robby is not elusive at all and without that ability his numbers will always be capped at just about where they've been the last 3 years.  That doesn't mean he's bad by any means but you can find that same player for a lot cheaper then what he's looking for. The Jets need to protect Darnold first and foremost this off-season like they should have done last off-season. 

he'll have better #s as soon as he gets a QB who doesnt routinely miss him deep.

but, yeah. not elusive...   but he can certainly run away from anybody in the league.

his #s are capped by poor QB play.

• Upvote 2

Robby isn't as good as Julio Jones. QW, isn't as good as Aaron Donald. Adams is no Ronnie Lott. Let's get rid of them all for draft capital. If we finish 8-8 next year, some of you will be looking to trade any offensive lineman or WR we draft. Good way to keep the draft board and the we shouda's going

2 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Robby is a suspension waiting to happen and is frail.

Think he has grown up a bit. But the noncatches when it mattered bothers me. As does his failure to take conditioning seriously. At $10 million per,  may be. if he wants more than that, let somebody else write those checks. 

If a monster OT is not there at 11, Lamb would like very good in a Jets uni. 

Smith can be a lot like Anderson. Same thing; would like to see him get in the gym this offseason. 

• Upvote 1

Robby isn't as good as Julio Jones. QW, isn't as good as Arron Donald. Adams is no Ronnie Lott. Let's get rid of them all for draft capital. If we finish 8-8 next year, some of you will be looking to trade any offensive lineman or WR we draft. Good way to keep the draft board and the we shouda's going

37 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

he'll have better #s as soon as he gets a QB who doesnt routinely miss him deep.

but, yeah. not elusive...   but he can certainly run away from anybody in the league.

his #s are capped by poor QB play.

You're wrong.  

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Is this based on something you heard or are you surmising?

It's true.  Robby, if there was a viable replacement this year and it were up to Gase and Gase alone, would have been a goner at the deadline.

Doesn't finish routes.  Weak.  Bad attitude behind closed doors.  Giving him money is incredibly risky.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It's true.  Robby, if there was a viable replacement this year and it were up to Gase and Gase alone, would have been a goner at the deadline.

Doesn't finish routes.  Weak.  Bad attitude behind closed doors.  Giving him money is incredibly risky.

Haven’t heard that.   Source?

The big issue with Anderson is that he can score on long passes but he cannot score on short passes.  Guys like Herdman and Hill can take a short or medium pass and score.

With as much speed as he has he needs to be able to take a short play and make it a big play and he has not done that.

Robbie is only worth 10+ mil because he’s a deep threat but that’s not Darnold’s strength at this point. Better off finding a big possession guy that can make contested catches and bring in Perriman as a deep threat.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Haven’t heard that.   Source?

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

making up ish

Definitely not making it up.  Choose to not believe me if you want.  I'd like to think my track record here speaks for itself.  Had someone else reiterate it here a couple of days ago:

613924934_Screenshot_20200101-1810272.thumb.png.86d61a6f062a7a08ef3ea3557938062e.png

• Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Definitely not making it up.  Choose to not believe me if you want.  I'd like to think my track record here speaks for itself.  Had someone else reiterate it here a couple of days ago:

613924934_Screenshot_20200101-1810272.thumb.png.86d61a6f062a7a08ef3ea3557938062e.png

Im not accusing you of making it up

Im asking how you know this

Ive heard people say stuff like this but repeating it without basis doesnt make it true.   
Do you know someone on the team or some other inside source that told you?   Im assuming you dont have access to the locker room but if thats incorrect Im willing to accept your statement.   I just havent heard this and I read most things published by the media.

10 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Im not accusing you of making it up

Im asking how you know this

Ive heard people say stuff like this but repeating it without basis doesnt make it true.   
Do you know someone on the team or some other inside source that told you?   Im assuming you dont have access to the locker room but if thats incorrect Im willing to accept your statement.   I just havent heard this and I read most things published by the media.

Not you, that was directed at the other guy re: "making stuff up".

Long story short, I have a source that has helped me break news before and has been pretty reliable over the years.  Where they belong, I, obviously, cannot divulge. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Not you, that was directed at the other guy re: "making stuff up".

Long story short, I have a source that has helped me break news before and has been pretty reliable over the years.  Where they belong, I, obviously, cannot divulge. 

If this is correct, they won’t want him back at current WR salary’s.   I would have thought they’d have traded him at the deadline and at least gotten a draft pick.   He d be a nice piece for the Saints,  Packers, or one of the other teams in the tournament

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

If this is correct, they won’t want him back at current WR salary’s.   I would have thought they’d have traded him at the deadline and at least gotten a draft pick.   He d be a nice piece for the Saints,  Packers, or one of the other teams in the tournament

If he goes and comes back with a 10mil per year, I could see a reunion, but that's also unlikely.  As for the deadline, they just didn't have any buyers worth selling him too.

Watch the Eagles in particular when FA hits.  They've been linked to him a few times.

3 hours ago, Welp said:

Robbie is only worth 10+ mil because he’s a deep threat but that’s not Darnold’s strength at this point. Better off finding a big possession guy that can make contested catches and bring in Perriman as a deep threat.

Did you watch them together last 6-7 games of the season?  Robby and Sam were very effective together on crossing routes

Vyncint Smith is a way more complete WR then Robby Anderson. Smith is physical has a bigger frame better suited to play outside the slot can take inside routes and is a better redzone target. Robby's lanky skinny frame keeps him from being a inside target and only good if he runs straight neither WR is a #2 so why would you pay Anderson 15 million a year?  when you have a guy who has more potential and is cheap. Smith's biggest problem he is underused  because Robby takes most of the playing time if Robby gone this guy should get more opportunity. Let some other team overpay for slot guy.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Smith has shown he can be a deep threat. Both basically have the same measurables(6'3ish, 190-200lbs ish, sub 4.4 40)

I'm not a huge fan of Robbie. Send him away, draft a true #1 WR like Lamb or Jeudy and have WR1/Crowder/Smith/pass catching TE/Bell out the backfield.

Smith has not shown much of anything yet. Has he caught a single deep pass for the Jets this season? Sure, he has the tools but he has not shown he can do it on the field yet. Definitely not like Robby. 

Also, its Robby not Robbie or am I missing something? 

Smith cannot 'replace' Robby next season. But yes, the Jets need to hold on to Smith and continue to develop him as he has some nice upside. 

I think the Jets will let Robby walk simply b/c Gase is not a big fan of him and the price tag is not peanuts. Wouldn't be surprised if they drafted a WR rather early and signed one in FA to give Darnold another vet weapon on the outside.