Disappointing season...but the arrow is pointing up my fellow Jets fans

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It was the season of mononucleosis, a Week 1 loss with Kaare Vedvik's missed kicks, upset wins vs. the Cowboys and Steelers, too many IR'ed players to count, airplane banners, a current 4-game home winning streak, and of course, @WyattV18.  It was an odd season to be sure but after a 1-7 start, a lot of midseason player/coach/GM friction with Osemele's shoulder, Jamal trade rumors and Enunwa's fines the Jets stuck together and dragged a Bottom 5 roster to a 6-2 second half of the season.

Given where we started it's hard to be upset with where the Jets are now.  We know there's a lot of work to be done on this roster, we know the jury is still out somewhat regarding Gase, but for the first time in a while it feels like a season turned around in a positive way vs. a negative one.  And that is something we should appreciate as fans even if we're disappointed with the end result of the season.  In fact, the trajectory of this team really starts to look positive when you compare it to what's happening with other teams like the Browns right now.  There was no bigger gap between the expectations for a team going into 2019 and their actual performance than the Cleveland Browns.  A Browns team that not only will have its 4th HC in 3 seasons (Hue Jackson, Gregg Williams, Kitchens, and TBD 2020) but just watched their supposed GM Messiah in John Dorsey walk away from the team because of ownership's concern about his role in the next HC search.  Heading into 2019, nobody on the planet could foresee any circumstance where the Browns would be saying goodbye to both first-year HC Freddie Kitchens and GM John Dorsey before New Year's Day.

Going even further, the way the Jets finished the season with 2 straight wins and their current stability at QB, Head Coach and GM, the Jets are on a MUCH better trajectory heading into the offseason than MANY other teams, not just the Browns.

How would you like to be a fan of the Raiders right now?  Same 7-9 record as the Jets, just got boo'ed out of Oakland, couldn't take a meaningful step forward in the second year of the Gruden-Carr offense, lost to the Jets by 31 POINTS!!!! etc.

There were many teams with much more disappointing seasons than the Jets....even amongst supposedly "good teams."

How would you like to be the Bears with Trubisky this season after last year's playoff appearance?

Or the Rams (who won only 2 more games than the Jets) with the Gurley and Goff contracts?

Frank Reich and the Colts, and Matt Ryan and the Falcons couldn't win more games than the Jets this year??

How about the Jets...OUR JETS... preventing two teams from getting into the playoffs with wins over Dallas (early) and Pittsburgh (late) this season?

You want disappointment?  Talk to Philip Rivers about the 5 win Chargers.  Talk to Luke Keuchly and Christian McCaffrey about the 5 win Panthers.

I'm not going to say this was a good season for the Jets.  It wasn't.  But the roster can only get better and I'm entrenched in the camp that believes Darnold is the one who can lead this team to great things.  I'm excited to see Sam get to work in the same offensive system for consecutive seasons for the first time in 4 years (USC, Jeremy Bates, Adam Gase...).

In my opinion the arrow is pointing up for the New York Jets!

I’m not going to go there, let’s see how Douglas goes about rebuilding, the Oline. Getting some weapons, edge rusher, and Corners. That’s a big shopping list, and won’t be done in a year.

What are you expecting next season, any where from 6-10 to 8-8? In reality this team is along way off.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I’m not going to go there, let’s see how Douglas goes about rebuilding, the Oline. Getting some weapons, edge rusher, and Corners. That’s a big shopping list, and won’t be done in a year.

What are you expecting next season, any where from 6-10 to 8-8? In reality this team is along way off.

The schedule looks tough but you never know.  Just about every fan prior to this season would have penciled L's next to the Dallas and Pittsburgh games and W's next to Miami and Cincinnati.  You can't predict how good or bad opponents will be but by the looks of it I'd think 8-8 next year would be a positive.  That NFC West schedule will be no joke.

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

good post @jetstream23

lotta better rosters did as poorly, or worse...

while I am not a fan of Gase and never have been and was underwhelmed at his siging I find myself defending him in light of the abysmal OL and the simple fact that I am sick and tired of defensive minded HCs.

I think its a positive that he really believes in Sam. (Is overconfidence in him possibly negative? I dunno..... maybe?)

And like you say (and I have said repeatedly) the OC/HC constant change WILL NOT HELP SAM.

I'm not pro or anti Gase either.  I want more data....I want to see more games with a better OLine and a generally improved roster.  I want to see Sam in the second year of the offense.  I don't want to keep Gase for next year simply for the sake of stability, I simply think it's hard to assess him with what he had to work with, the way the team stumbled out of the gates with a weird loss to Buffalo, missing Sam for multiple games with Mono, etc.  As I stated, you have to credit the entire team and coaching staff for keeping this thing together and finishing the season on a very high note.  That does say something.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

The only way the arrow will truly be pointing up is if Douglas comes away with a stellar draft and fa period.  The team is too deficient in key areas to make any real noise.

We need a Gm that can draft.

We need to hit a HR with 3-4 draft selections immediate impact players and sign at least 3 key free agents. 

Remember Mosley and Williamson return healthy and hopefully Herndon. 

This team can improve quick if all of the above happens 

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The only way the arrow will truly be pointing up is if Douglas comes away with a stellar draft and fa period.  The team is too deficient in key areas to make any real noise.

... and a HC that can coach. 

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I have been accused of saying the Jets will make the playoffs the past few seasons. Those accusations are incorrect.

Next season though, the Jets are in the playoffs. I have to see how things break down but the division is a strong possibility,

THAT is the path for this team.  6 games vs. division opponents.  Miami, NE and Buffalo will have to face similar opponents as the Jets next season given the alignment with the NFC West, etc. so I could see something very similar to what happened in the NFC East this year....a 9 or maybe 10-win team taking the AFCE in 2020.  New England looks like they're truly teetering towards regression for the first time.  The window of opportunity is finally opening.

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We need to hit a HR with 3-4 draft selections immediate impact players and sign at least 3 key free agents. 

Remember Mosley and Williamson return healthy and hopefully Herndon. 

This team can improve quick if all of the above happens 

The thing is I see almost no improvement if mosley and willamson come back because the guys that replaced them played outstanding.  ILB = non premium position.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The thing is I see almost no improvement if mosley and willamson come back because the guys that replaced them played outstanding.  ILB = non premium position.

I agree they did play very well but I think Mosley is a game changer and Williamson the veteran experience who will make the D better. 

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

<saving this for when you savagely attack the honorable Messr. Gase>

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The one thing that came from this season was that Gase, Williams, and Douglas have already established a culture of resilience and accountability that will serve them well moving forward. That’s not an easy thing to do when you’re as talent-poor as the Jets.

I also like that they gave the opportunity to play  to the guys playing the best, not the guys with big contracts

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

<saving this for when you savagely attack the honorable Messr. Gase>

Gases job is to make the offense really good, no matter what the talent.  See Gregg Williams.

He utterly failed on all counts.

the two are not exclusive believe or not.  You can have a bad head coach who is a failed coordinator on a team that also is talent poor.

By this logic we should have retained todd bowles because he was just held back by mac.

45 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It was the season of mononucleosis, a Week 1 loss with Kaare Vedvik's missed kicks, upset wins vs. the Cowboys and Steelers, too many IR'ed players to count, airplane banners, a current 4-game home winning streak, and of course, @WyattV18.  It was an odd season to be sure but after a 1-7 start, a lot of midseason player/coach/GM friction with Osemele's shoulder, Jamal trade rumors and Enunwa's fines the Jets stuck together and dragged a Bottom 5 roster to a 6-2 second half of the season.

Given where we started it's hard to be upset with where the Jets are now.  We know there's a lot of work to be done on this roster, we know the jury is still out somewhat regarding Gase, but for the first time in a while it feels like a season turned around in a positive way vs. a negative one.  And that is something we should appreciate as fans even if we're disappointed with the end result of the season.  In fact, the trajectory of this team really starts to look positive when you compare it to what's happening with other teams like the Browns right now.  There was no bigger gap between the expectations for a team going into 2019 and their actual performance than the Cleveland Browns.  A Browns team that not only will have its 4th HC in 3 seasons (Hue Jackson, Gregg Williams, Kitchens, and TBD 2020) but just watched their supposed GM Messiah in John Dorsey walk away from the team because of ownership's concern about his role in the next HC search.  Heading into 2019, nobody on the planet could foresee any circumstance where the Browns would be saying goodbye to both first-year HC Freddie Kitchens and GM John Dorsey before New Year's Day.

Going even further, the way the Jets finished the season with 2 straight wins and their current stability at QB, Head Coach and GM, the Jets are on a MUCH better trajectory heading into the offseason than MANY other teams, not just the Browns.

How would you like to be a fan of the Raiders right now?  Same 7-9 record as the Jets, just got boo'ed out of Oakland, couldn't take a meaningful step forward in the second year of the Gruden-Carr offense, lost to the Jets by 31 POINTS!!!! etc.

There were many teams with much more disappointing seasons than the Jets....even amongst supposedly "good teams."

How would you like to be the Bears sitting at home this postseason with Trubisky after last year's playoff appearance?

Or the Rams (who won only 2 more games than the Jets) with the Gurley and Goff contracts?

Frank Reich and the Colts, and Matt Ryan and the Falcons couldn't win more games than the Jets this year??

How about the Jets...OUR JETS... preventing two teams from getting into the playoffs with wins over Dallas (early) and Pittsburgh (late) this season?

You want disappointment?  Talk to Philip Rivers about the 5 win Chargers.  Talk to Luke Keuchly and Christian McCaffrey about the 5 win Panthers.

I'm not going to say this was a good season for the Jets.  It wasn't.  But the roster can only get better and I'm entrenched in the camp that believes Darnold is the one who can lead this team to great things.  I'm excited to see Sam get to work in the same offensive system for consecutive seasons for the first time in 4 years (USC, Jeremy Bates, Adam Gase...).

Nice post. Love the optimism and hope your right. I want to believe Darnold will figure it out, progress, and was more held back by recovering from mono than the team wants to let on.  Btw you mentioned the Dallas and stealer wins as knocking them from the playoffs but I think you underestimate the impact of tyke bearing we put on them. Went into a freefall from there.

I hated the gase hire but was willing to take a wait and see approach. Unfortunately results were as mixed as they could be. We saw 14 regress somewhat in his mechanics and seem to be playing in an offense that was not geared to his strengths.   It appears gase is too stubborn to self study identify and fix his weaknesses.

So bottom line the end of the season was nice, but I need to see real tangible improvement on the field.  Enough with off-season championships. Not being realistically eliminated before the end of September would be a nice start. Also not looking completely overmatched in our losses would be nice.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Sorry, but isn't there a difference between pointing up (trending in the right direction) and being good and making real noise? If he fills some holes and drafts better than MM then we can be trending up without necessarily making noise..

We def. need a GM that can draft.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

How would you like to be the Bears sitting at home this postseason with Trubisky after last year's playoff appearance?

Attaboy!! Keeping Gregg, Boyer and Gase all together for another season should do this team well. 

I’m not a huge Gase lover but I do enjoy how this team doesn’t just stay the same and hope things work. Fact that Douglas said they’ll get better at communication is huge. They saw a problem and want to make it better. 

Douglas has said it twice now(at trade deadline and yesterday) that OL and surrounding Sam with playmakers is pivotal to this teams success. I’m excited to see what they do. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I have been accused of saying the Jets will make the playoffs the past few seasons. Those accusations are incorrect.

Next season though, the Jets are in the playoffs. I have to see how things break down but the division is a strong possibility,

Go Boss go...

Image result for old women dancing for the super bowl gif

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s hard to tell? We do know that Maccagnan was possibly the worst GM in the history of the Jets franchise, which is whew lad territory 

Hard to tell? Todd Bowles was 1 of the worst HC's in NY Jets history. The guy was clueless in all aspects of the game. (play calling, clock management, game adjustments, player decisions, you name it) 

Todd Bowles and Luke Falk 2 bad modern day NY Jets experiments. 

The decade of the 2010s for Jet fans:

2010: Bad outing in Pittsburgh, but two straight AFCCGs is pretty good.  The arrow is pointing up.

2011: Rex got rid of Schotty, bringing in Sparano to recommit to ground and pound.  The arrow is pointing up.

2012: Tanny out, Idzik in as new GM.  He helped build a winner in Seattle.  The arrow is pointing up.

2013: Our rookie QB played well in December, closed out the season with 3 wins in our last 4.  The arrow is pointing up.

2014: Did you see Geno in that last game against Miami.  Perfect QB rating. The arrow is pointing up.

2015: Disappointing last game, but we won 10 games behind Fitz.  And we have Maccagnan, executive of the year.  The arrow is pointing up.

2016: The Fitz offseason drama killed us, but we are finally going to commit to a rebuild the right way.  The arrow is pointing up.

2017: Next year we will finally get our QB.  Rebuild is on schedule.  The arrow is pointing up.

2018: Sam was great in December.  Maybe the best QB in the league to close out the season.  The arrow is pointing up.

2019: We closed out the season 6-2; great finish after a terrible start.  The arrow is pointing up.  This time, we really mean it.

I am tired of waiting until next year.  I hope next year is finally the year we get back to the playoffs, but I don't hare the optimism.  will believe it when I see it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

The decade of the 2010s for Jet fans:

2010: Bad outing in Pittsburgh, but two straight AFCCGs is pretty good.  The arrow is pointing up.

2011: Rex got rid of Schotty, bringing in Sparano to recommit to ground and pound.  The arrow is pointing up.

2012: Tanny out, Idzik in as new GM.  He helped build a winner in Seattle.  The arrow is pointing up.

2013: Our rookie QB played well in December, closed out the season with 3 wins in our last 4.  The arrow is pointing up.

2014: Did you see Geno in that last game against Miami.  Perfect QB rating. The arrow is pointing up.

2015: Disappointing last game, but we won 10 games behind Fitz.  And we have Maccagnan, executive of the year.  The arrow is pointing up.

2016: The Fitz offseason drama killed us, but we are finally going to commit to a rebuild the right way.  The arrow is pointing up.

2017: Next year we will finally get our QB.  Rebuild is on schedule.  The arrow is pointing up.

2018: Sam was great in December.  Maybe the best QB in the league to close out the season.  The arrow is pointing up.

2019: We closed out the season 6-2; great finish after a terrible start.  The arrow is pointing up.  This time, we really mean it.

I am tired of waiting until next year.  I hope next year is finally the year we get back to the playoffs, but I don't hare the optimism.  will believe it when I see it.

Ehhhhhhh. I get what you’re saying but there’s no way in hell I felt the arrow was pointing up 2011 -2016. That sh*t was a mess. Not even the year after 2 AFCCGs. The team we attempted to field was pathetic. 

9 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Ehhhhhhh. I get what you’re saying but there’s no way in hell I felt the arrow was pointing up 2011 -2016. That sh*t was a mess. Not even the year after 2 AFCCGs. The team we attempted to field was pathetic. 

I don't know.  But after the last 10 years, its hard for me to be optimistic after another season where we did not play any meaningful games after September.  I am tired of sitting around during the week after the regular season ends, before the playoffs start and thnking about the draft, free agency and next season.  Maybe I will feel differently after the offseason begins and I see what kind of moves we make.  But right now, I am not buying the "next year will be different" mantra.