Disappointing season...but the arrow is pointing up my fellow Jets fans

17 minutes ago, Lith said:

The decade of the 2010s for Jet fans:

2010: Bad outing in Pittsburgh, but two straight AFCCGs is pretty good.  The arrow is pointing up.

2011: Rex got rid of Schotty, bringing in Sparano to recommit to ground and pound.  The arrow is pointing up.

2012: Tanny out, Idzik in as new GM.  He helped build a winner in Seattle.  The arrow is pointing up.

2013: Our rookie QB played well in December, closed out the season with 3 wins in our last 4.  The arrow is pointing up.

2014: Did you see Geno in that last game against Miami.  Perfect QB rating. The arrow is pointing up.

2015: Disappointing last game, but we won 10 games behind Fitz.  And we have Maccagnan, executive of the year.  The arrow is pointing up.

2016: The Fitz offseason drama killed us, but we are finally going to commit to a rebuild the right way.  The arrow is pointing up.

2017: Next year we will finally get our QB.  Rebuild is on schedule.  The arrow is pointing up.

2018: Sam was great in December.  Maybe the best QB in the league to close out the season.  The arrow is pointing up.

2019: We closed out the season 6-2; great finish after a terrible start.  The arrow is pointing up.  This time, we really mean it.

I am tired of waiting until next year.  I hope next year is finally the year we get back to the playoffs, but I don't hare the optimism.  will believe it when I see it.

Those years were DOWN arrows. :P 

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Gases job is to make the offense really good, no matter what the talent.  See Gregg Williams.

He utterly failed on all counts.

the two are not exclusive believe or not.  You can have a bad head coach who is a failed coordinator on a team that also is talent poor.

By this logic we should have retained todd bowles because he was just held back by mac.

Defense was well stocked and then replenished somewhat. Gase was still restricted by the Macagnan “effect” of little offensive upgrade. Williams coach-up  job was little easier. 

16 hours ago, Lith said:

I don't know.  But after the last 10 years, its hard for me to be optimistic after another season where we did not play any meaningful games after September.  I am tired of sitting around during the week after the regular season ends, before the playoffs start and thnking about the draft, free agency and next season.  Maybe I will feel differently after the offseason begins and I see what kind of moves we make.  But right now, I am not buying the "next year will be different" mantra.

I would think beating 3 playoff lurking teams (Dal/Oak/Pgh) meaningful. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Irktusk1957 said:

I’m also not sure the losses to Miami (who beat NE in Week 17) and Cincy (who beat CLE in Week 17) are as truly horrible as we thought. The Jets were the first team to lose to those previously winless teams but they weren’t the ONLY ones to lose to them. Cincy gave NE some trouble in Week 16 as well.

Several of the teams thought to be “bad” in the NFL were playing well at the end of the year...NYJ, Miami, AZ, Cincy. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Irktusk1957 said:

Defense was well stocked and then replenished somewhat. Gase was still restricted by the Macagnan “effect” of little offensive upgrade. Williams coach-up  job was little easier. 

Our CBs were rejects, rookies and nobodies.  All ILBs got hurt and our no name replacements were really good, the Dline was stocked with lesser lights, at least those that contributed.  The only solid group would be safety.

Williams did much more with about as bad of talent.

Gase had Bell, Crowder, Anderson and Darnold for over half the year.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Our CBs were rejects, rookies and nobodies.  All ILBs got hurt and our no name replacements were really good, the Dline was stocked with lesser lights, at least those that contributed.  The only solid group would be safety.

Williams did much more with about as bad of talent.

Gase had Bell, Crowder, Anderson and Darnold for over half the year.

CB’s were horrible yes, but they had 2 good safeties (cue Shane), 3 surprisingly good LB’s, and 4 pretty stout DL. 

My 9 beats your 4 in this scenario.

6 minutes ago, Irktusk1957 said:

CB’s were horrible yes, but they had 2 good safeties (cue Shane), 3 surprisingly good LB’s, and 4 pretty stout DL. 

My 9 beats your 4 in this scenario.

Why were the LBS and Dline 'good'?  They were low round picks, udfa and guys picked up off the street.

Williams coached the unit to be competent to good.

Gase coached his unit with similar talent issues to be dead last in the league.

The Jets won 7 games this year due to an overachieving defense not a dead last in the league offense.

21 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It was the season of mononucleosis, a Week 1 loss with Kaare Vedvik's missed kicks, upset wins vs. the Cowboys and Steelers, too many IR'ed players to count, airplane banners, a current 4-game home winning streak, and of course, @WyattV18.  It was an odd season to be sure but after a 1-7 start, a lot of midseason player/coach/GM friction with Osemele's shoulder, Jamal trade rumors and Enunwa's fines the Jets stuck together and dragged a Bottom 5 roster to a 6-2 second half of the season.

Given where we started it's hard to be upset with where the Jets are now.  We know there's a lot of work to be done on this roster, we know the jury is still out somewhat regarding Gase, but for the first time in a while it feels like a season turned around in a positive way vs. a negative one.  And that is something we should appreciate as fans even if we're disappointed with the end result of the season.  In fact, the trajectory of this team really starts to look positive when you compare it to what's happening with other teams like the Browns right now.  There was no bigger gap between the expectations for a team going into 2019 and their actual performance than the Cleveland Browns.  A Browns team that not only will have its 4th HC in 3 seasons (Hue Jackson, Gregg Williams, Kitchens, and TBD 2020) but just watched their supposed GM Messiah in John Dorsey walk away from the team because of ownership's concern about his role in the next HC search.  Heading into 2019, nobody on the planet could foresee any circumstance where the Browns would be saying goodbye to both first-year HC Freddie Kitchens and GM John Dorsey before New Year's Day.

Going even further, the way the Jets finished the season with 2 straight wins and their current stability at QB, Head Coach and GM, the Jets are on a MUCH better trajectory heading into the offseason than MANY other teams, not just the Browns.

How would you like to be a fan of the Raiders right now?  Same 7-9 record as the Jets, just got boo'ed out of Oakland, couldn't take a meaningful step forward in the second year of the Gruden-Carr offense, lost to the Jets by 31 POINTS!!!! etc.

There were many teams with much more disappointing seasons than the Jets....even amongst supposedly "good teams."

How would you like to be the Bears sitting at home this postseason with Trubisky after last year's playoff appearance?

Or the Rams (who won only 2 more games than the Jets) with the Gurley and Goff contracts?

Frank Reich and the Colts, and Matt Ryan and the Falcons couldn't win more games than the Jets this year??

How about the Jets...OUR JETS... preventing two teams from getting into the playoffs with wins over Dallas (early) and Pittsburgh (late) this season?

You want disappointment?  Talk to Philip Rivers about the 5 win Chargers.  Talk to Luke Keuchly and Christian McCaffrey about the 5 win Panthers.

I'm not going to say this was a good season for the Jets.  It wasn't.  But the roster can only get better and I'm entrenched in the camp that believes Darnold is the one who can lead this team to great things.  I'm excited to see Sam get to work in the same offensive system for consecutive seasons for the first time in 4 years (USC, Jeremy Bates, Adam Gase...).

In my opinion the arrow is pointing up for the New York Jets!

A lot of  chaos this season but it’s what the Fraud bring more efficient to the table, just like his time in Miami with their best players trying a mutiny and by the time he was fired he had to be restraint from assaulting the owner.  Next year at this time before the FA and drafts most of you will again sing kumbaya.  I’m pissed and for the past few years has been in the what had you done for us lately.

The only thing I’m hopeful next year is the defense but the offense in this era is the one that win games. That we won against the Bills back up 13-6 and scored only 6 TD in 5 games is ridiculous.  I will not be shock if Darnold has the same trajectory as Drew Brees more recently Ryan Tannhill.  We finally get our franchise QB and neglect to develop.

54 minutes ago, Irktusk1957 said:

What the hell does playoff lurking teams mean? The fact is the only playoff team we beat was Buffalo when they were resting all of their starters. 

Some fans have such low expectations that they have to coin new phrases.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, RobR said:

What the hell does playoff lurking teams mean? The fact is the only playoff team we beat was Buffalo when they were resting all of their starters. 

Some fans have such low expectations that they have to coin new phrases.

I think all 3 teams mentioned were in the playoff “hunt” at the time we played them. I also thought we were talking meaningful games to the the Jets, not you. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Irktusk1957 said:

I think all 3 teams mentioned were in the playoff “hunt” at the time we played them. I also thought we were talking meaningful games to the the Jets, not you. 

Talk about setting the bar low. And every game is meaningful to the team, that goes without saying.

I think too many of you here grew up thinking a participation trophy was a great and meaningful award. 

4 minutes ago, Irktusk1957 said:

Exactly right.

Cowboys were in first place in the NFC East and a shoo-in for the playoffs at the time we played them.  Raiders were on a 5 game winning streak and sitting at the 5 seed when we played them.  Steelers simply needed to beat us and make the playoffs.  Bills couldn't score a touchdown at home to compete when we played them.

So that's 4 wins against very good teams, surely teams of similar ability that we're going to have to beat again next season to get the playoff berth that the lucky Bills were gifted due to our injuries.  Next year feels good.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, RobR said:

Talk about setting the bar low. And every game is meaningful to the team, that goes without saying.

I think too many of you here grew up thinking a participation trophy was a great and meaningful award. 

So you agree they played meaningful games after September?

Hey, it’s just a discussion and I had less heartburn the second-half of the season than the first.