Jets Investigating Unprecedented Injury Crisis

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Agreed. I was encouraged by the title of the article, because given the history, it seems like there’s something there. But then Gase said changes to the training and S&C staff are highly unlikely, and Douglas said he thinks it’s an anomaly. So...what are they investigating, exactly?

He didn’t say there would be no changes....just highly unlikely....he’s not going to stand at a lectern and say “yes we should probably fire a few people at some point just don’t know who yet”

i don’t give Gase a free pass here as this seems way too much to be just an anomaly or bad luck but I’m encouraged to hear his response and they appear to be taking it seriously

Loosing players to injury (especially QB for weeks) is bad enough; having very little talent is also bad enough; having both is devastating. I am surprised more of the team didn't quit.

That being said, I hope they really do research this as there were other concerns like how the Jets dealt with injury, etc. Maybe they come up with something - no rock unturned and all.

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Agreed. I was encouraged by the title of the article, because given the history, it seems like there’s something there. But then Gase said changes to the training and S&C staff are highly unlikely, and Douglas said he thinks it’s an anomaly. So...what are they investigating, exactly?

I also didn't like that at his press conference Gase said, "we are two months ahead of you" to a reporter who asked about this.

Um Adam whoever asked that is probably making $40,000 a year to cover the team. So they are doing no prep and are thinking of questions as they walk in to the facility.

SO I HOPE YOU ARE AHEAD OF THEM.  Geez.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, redlichtie said:

He didn’t say there would be no changes....just highly unlikely....he’s not going to stand at a lectern and say “yes we should probably fire a few people at some point just don’t know who yet”

i don’t give Gase a free pass here as this seems way too much to be just an anomaly or bad luck but I’m encouraged to hear his response and they appear to be taking it seriously

Its like a reality show, Gase at the podium:

As you all know the injuries this year have been bad. Really bad. So we are going to make changes.

****opens an envelope****

My producer tells me that we have a 7 person training staff. And 3 of those people are going to be let go.

Follow me over to the underwater obstacle as we compete to see who the first person fired will be.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

As odd as it is, +1.  I have no earthly idea why Gase's teams are consistently riddled to death with injuries, but they are and always have been since he became a HC.

At some point, it's not "bad luck", it has to be something the Coaching staff is doing or not doing that leads to every year being an injury crushed waste.

Gase has four years as HC, and the single most consistent excuse for his losing career record and botom on NFL Offenses:  Injuries.

Well, maybe do something different?  

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

As odd as it is, +1.  I have no earthly idea why Gase's teams are consistently riddled to death with injuries, but they are and always have been since he became a HC.

At some point, it's not "bad luck", it has to be something the Coaching staff is doing or not doing that leads to every year being an injury crushed waste.

Gase has four years as HC, and the single most consistent excuse for his losing career record and botom on NFL Offenses:  Injuries.

I think his eyes might suck the vitality and life force from those around him. Pretty sure that’s why he wears a hat with  a visor to lessen the effect. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not sure what different thing you’re suggesting.  I’m pretty sure the Jets didn’t bring in the Dolphins entire training staff.  The CBA really limits contact in training camp.  The new kickoff  and targeting rules decrease contact more than ever

Most of the injuries occurred in games.  
What do you recommend?  Flag football?

• Upvote 1

On 1/2/2020 at 12:46 PM, Warfish said:

For the Details:

The Jets Lost to IR:

C.J. Mosley ILB NYJ Groin 4 $3,058,824 $235,296

Quincy Enunwa WR NYJ Neck 16 $2,635,296 $941,184

Chris Herndon TE NYJ Ribs 7 $252,707 $179,480

The Redskins Lost to IR:

Alex Smith QB WAS Leg 17 $20,400,000 $15,000,001

Looking at each list, yeah, I'd say the Skins had it materially worse than we did.  /shrug, unprecedented!

Except this list (abbreviated to keep the post shorter) isn't accurate. It's basing it off how many games they lost specifically to IR and not how many they lost to injury.

Take a look at Mosely. He played in 1.5 games, but only went on IR for the last month (whatever the exact date was). To take this list at face value, it gives the appearance that the Jets had full use of Mosely for all but $3MM of his $13MM cap number. We of course know this was not the case. Even when he briefly came back, he was clearly not the $17MM/year player they signed in March; due to injury, not because he was MoWilkerson'ing it. It was significant enough that the team very much felt his loss in the week 1 loss, yet by the above methodology the team had full use of his cap allocation for the entire game, which is factually inaccurate.  

It's a skewed list because of how they count it. If Washington played Alex Smith 0 games but didn't put him on IR until December because they were holding out hope he could return for the playoffs - think Peyton Manning 2011 - would it really change anything? 0 games is 0 games. 

It gets worse:

It's basing things on a one year cap allocation, not the real one year cost or even real amortized cost. A player can make the same money - even the same money amortized for 1 season, and still have a lower cap number than that. Enunwa had a new contract awarded after his 2018 season was over, but it was nominally paid before the 2019 season began, therefore it's spread differently. Alex Smith's contract was $23.5MM/year and his cap number in year 2 was $20.5MM so that's about 90% accurate; Enunwa will effectively make $20MM for his partial 1 game, but it'll get spread from 2018 through 2020 (maybe even through 2021). Would that even up if they went into this detail for each team? We don't know, but the relatively low number of IR'd players - it's not like there are thousands or even hundreds to smooth out the curve - suggests it wouldn't. 

Still worse:

Cap number is not the end-all for value (let alone manipulated one-year cap number as I mentioned above). Good examples are Herndon and Austin (the latter of whom isn't mentioned above). Herndon was not usable for 90% of the season and it looks like less than a rounding error loss at just $250K above. Also Austin was on the initial IR with ability to return list for half of the season, and makes even less than Herndon, but was on IR through mid-November. These were (or became) 2 core starters the team was without for half or almost the entirety of the season. According to measurement via cap number, their losses were meaningless. What if the Seahawks lost Russell Wilson for all 13 games in 2013? By the above numbers the loss would have been insignificant. 

Know what they say about statistics? This is a perfect example. 

• Upvote 3

On 1/2/2020 at 9:56 AM, jeremy2020 said:

They weren't even in like the top 5 injured teams this season.

By what metric? 

This was as bad of an injury season as I can ever remember. 

Lost crucial players on defense for the season either before the start of the season or at the very start (Williamson, Mosley)

Lost the starting QB for three games during the meat of our early schedule. 

Lost the backup QB for the season after less than 2 quarters of play. 

Lost the #2 WR and starting TE for the season (Herndon played like a quarter of football all year?)

Played at least one game with the 5th and 6th string inside linebackers. 

Played with an injury-riddled offensive line all year (played with 11 different starters and 9 different starting combinations - which is simply incredible)

• Upvote 2