Hypothetical Draft Pick Decisions at #11?

Decisions at #11  

61 members have voted

1. 1. #2 WR (eg CeeDee Lamb) vs #2 OL (eg Tristin Wirfs)?

• STRONGLY Favor #2 WR
    • Favor #2 WR
    • Favor #2 OL
    • STRONGLY Favor #2 OL
  2. 2. #2 WR (eg CeeDee Lamb) vs #3 OL (eg Jedrick Wills)?

• STRONGLY Favor #2 WR
    • Favor #2 WR
    • Favor #3 OL
    • STRONGLY Favor #3 OL
  3. 3. #2 Edge Rusher (eg AJ Epensa) vs #3 OL (eg Jedrick Wills)?

• STRONGLY Favor #2 Edge
    • Favor #2 Edge
    • Favor #3 OL
    • STRONGLY Favor #3 OL
  4. 4. #3 WR (eg Tee Higgins) vs #2 OL (eg Tristin Wirfs)?

• STRONGLY Favor #3 WR
    • Favor #3 WR
    • Favor #2 OL
    • STRONGLY Favor #2 OL
  5. 5. #3 WR (eg Higgins) vs #3 OL (Wills) vs #2 Edge (eg Epensa) vs #2 CB (eg Kristian Fulton)

• #3 WR
    • #3 OL
    • #2 Edge
    • #2 CB

A lot of time between now and the draft, but those seem reasonably to be our options when we pick.  Nice work. 

I don't "strongly favor" anyone just yet, but Wirfs would be my # 1 choice amongst ALL players listed in the poll, at this time.  Seems like a solid OT with high character.  Plus it would make @HawkeyeJet very happy, as an added bonus.  

• Upvote 2

I votes for the #3 or #2 O-lineman for every scenario if that guy is Wirfs or Wills.

The only way I sway from that is if someone prefers Lamb as the #1 WR and we get Jeudy as a #2 WR, then I would def. consider taking him over an O-lineman. As good as I think Lamb is, there is something truly special about Jeudy that is hard to pass on.

The other scenario that would sway me is a potential trade down, and that would depend on how far down we would slide and what we would get in return. If the Dolphins gave us the 18th and 25th Pick to draft a QB (assuming they passed on one at 5 and concerned that the Colts might take Herbert or Tua at 13), I would do it. 

As far as Epenesa, I like him as a prospect but I don't think the Jets can afford to use their top selection on an edge rusher this year. That's how dire their needs are on the offensive side of the ball right now. I guess it depends on how FA shakes out but he would only be a consideration if the top 3 OTs were off the board and both Lamb and Jeudy were off the board and nobody wanted to trade. Highly unlikely all of that happens. 

• Upvote 2

My Ideal Scenario:

Jets land Costanzo in FA.   LT is *SET* 

Jets draft Wirfs or Wills with the # 11 for RT.  MUCH Prefer Wirfs for his mobility and flexibility. With Darnold, you'll want a mobile line that can move the pocket. 

Harrison stays on as the starting center, or competes for the starting job with the other interior lineman including additional interior lineman that you pick-up in rounds 4-7 or in FA

Jets pick up two other inside offensive lineman between the 4th and 7th round or FA   Consideration with those picks is given to players that can best fit into an aggressive man-blocking scheme that can move the pocket for Darnold. Then, and all their inside lineman fight it out in camp for starting C, RG and LG.

Jets use second and third round picks on WR and DB

Second Scenario:

Jets fail to or don't even try to land Costanzo.

They draft Wirfs at # 11 and make him the starting LT (I DON'T LIKE WILLS AS A LT)

Beachum becomes the starting RT

Harrison stays on as the starting center, or competes for the starting job with the other interior lineman including the additional interior lineman that you pick-up in rounds 4-7 or FA

Jets pick up two other inside offensive lineman between the 4th and 7th round. or FA   Consideration with those picks is given to players that can best fit into an aggressive man-blocking scheme that can move the pocket for Darnold. Then, and all their inside lineman fight it out in camp for starting C, RG and LG.

Jets use second and third round picks on WR and DB

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A lot of time between now and the draft, but those seem reasonably to be our options when we pick.  Nice work. 

I don't "strongly favor" anyone just yet, but Wirfs would be my # 1 choice amongst ALL players listed in the poll, at this time.  Seems like a solid OT with high character.  Plus it would make @HawkeyeJet very happy, as an added bonus.  

Yes it would.  Yes it would.  Truth be told, I like Epenesa even more, but for the Jets at this point in time, that would be a very hard sell, even if the Big 3 OTs are gone and Top 2 Wrs(which could certainly happen).

• Upvote 2

The idea of fixing the OL is absolutely the correct way to go.  #1 priority.    But studying this draft and the players in it, the drop off in OL in the top of Round 1 compared to the OL available in Rd 2  is very small, the drop off in WR from RD 1 to RD 2 is a little bigger.  Both positions are deep in this draft and there will be 1st rd talent in Rd 2 at WR and OL.   With that said the bid drop off is at Edge rusher.  Yet out of the 3 I think getting Mosley and Williamson back will make the D even better and I trust Williams to improve the defense even without grabbing a high Edge Rusher, Which I have been wanting forever but for the purpose of improving the O and not ruining Sam we must fix OL and WR.  so I would go WR round 1. OL RD 2 and then WR and OL in Round 3.  After that fill needs.   

But Free Agency will dictate a lot as well.   I would love to get 1 OL and 1 Edge Rusher in Free agency.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Yes it would.  Yes it would.  Truth be told, I like Epenesa even more, but for the Jets at this point in time, that would be a very hard sell, even if the Big 3 OTs are gone and Top 2 Wrs(which could certainly happen).

The Big 3 OT is not really a big 3.  The drop off to the next group of OT's is small

3 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I don’t have any hard data to support this (if someone does please post it) but it seems that WR’s have a high bust rate.

I voted for offensive line across the board. 

WRs have a high bust rate but 6 years ago would you prefer Brandon Cooks or Calvin Pryor?

8 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I don’t have any hard data to support this (if someone does please post it) but it seems that WR’s have a high bust rate.

I voted for offensive line across the board. 

2019 NFL rookie WR's 

AJ Brown 52 catches 1051 yards 8 TD 

Deebo Samuel 57 catches 802 yards 3 TD

DK Metcalf  58 catches 900 yards 7 TD 

Marquis Brown  46 catches 584 yards 7 TD 

Terry McLauren 58 catches 919 yards 7 TD 

• Upvote 1