Jump to content

Ngakoue set to hit the market


Rhg1084
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, johnnysd said:

We should basically NEVER sign any Day0/Day 1 free agents. They never play up to their contract and there is HUGE opportunity cost. It is just not the way to build a franchise, even if you have the cap space to do it. Instead of an $18 million free agent sign 4 $4 million dollar guys.

This. When is the last time a massive contract for a Day 1 FA worked out for anyone? Smart organizations just don't do it.

Granted my desperation for a better offensive line could lead me to make an exception, but it's a pretty obvious no-no. Douglas has a six year deal. No need to get desperate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This. When is the last time a massive contract for a Day 1 FA worked out for anyone? Smart organizations just don't do it.

Granted my desperation for a better offensive line could lead me to make an exception, but it's a pretty obvious no-no. Douglas has a six year deal. No need to get desperate.

Wow I was just thinking this very same thing. I can speak for the NY Jets only and the answer is a resounding none. Can't think of one guy we signed on day 1 that was any good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

If he wants a ZaDarius Smith type of deal I would take a flyer on him.

Flyer? 

The Packers are paying ZaDarius Smith $16.5 million a year.

That’s a big commitment.

It’ll probably also take $12-13 million a year to re-sign Jenkins.

If we’re going to make a splash in FA, I’d much rather target guys like Brandon Scherff, Joe Thuney and Jack Conklin. Especially since it’s no given that one of the top OT’s will fall to us at #11.

The defense could certainly use some upgrades at EDGE and CB, but they still finished ranked as a Top 10 unit and that was without guys like Mosley and Williamson.

The offense should take precedent above all else this offseason.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm torn on whether I'd like the Jets to try and sign him.

We all know we need OL and that premium OLmen (specifically OTs) rarely ht the FA market. That makes the position a priority in the draft.

Edge rushers - even though the Jets haven't been able to do it, it seems many teams have been able to find very good pass rushers beyond round 1. If that's the case, then maybe it's best to use a draft pick(s) to find that player instead of FA $.

I agree with the point that some have already made - blockbuster FA deals seem to rarely pay off. I say draft the positions needed (OT, Edge, WR, CB) and hopefully land starters and use the FA $ to build the depth(quality depth)  since we have so few guys under contract next year. Probably spend that money on some of our own guys who got experience this year and played well.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Flyer? 

The Packers are paying ZaDarius Smith $16.5 million a year.

That’s a big commitment.

It’ll probably also take $12-13 million a year to re-sign Jenkins.

If we’re going to make a splash in FA, I’d much rather target guys like Brandon Scherff, Joe Thuney and Jack Conklin. Especially since it’s no given that one of the top OT’s will fall to us at #11.

The defense could certainly use some upgrades at EDGE and CB, but they still finished ranked as a Top 10 unit and that was without guys like Mosley and Williamson.

The offense should take precedent above all else this offseason.

Agree with you, I would go all in on offense this offseason, one of the big name offensive lineman should be the number one target.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

We should basically NEVER sign any Day0/Day 1 free agents. They never play up to their contract and there is HUGE opportunity cost. It is just not the way to build a franchise, even if you have the cap space to do it. Instead of an $18 million free agent sign 4 $4 million dollar guys.

$4mil guys are your average backups now a days. But I agree, avoid the massive tag players and go with the moderate signings ($6-8 mil) on day 2, day 3 and beyond. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, CurtMart said:

$4mil guys are your average backups now a days. But I agree, avoid the massive tag players and go with the moderate signings ($6-8 mil) on day 2, day 3 and beyond. 

So fill the team with more average pass rushers? This defense can be ELITE with more pressure on the QBs. We are soon to have 2 more young QBs in New England & Miami. And you have Josh Allen who we need to pressure & keep in the pocket to rattle him. 

Forget the high CBs (resign Poole & draft another CB) but outside of the ALL OFFENSE mantra, we have to bring in some pass rushers on the edge to make our pass rush more formidable with the return of CJ Mosely next year. 

If we make 2 splashes in free agency, please let it be pass rusher & Oline. It's looking pretty good at 11 that either a LT or Stud WR will be staring us in the face. Someone else mentioned Constonza from Indy for LT. 

With a guy like him on board, depending on how the draft falls, we could be in that Herbert, Fromme spot if they dropped & someone wants to move up but not in the top 10. I would trade back if possible to land a Stud Guard, Center (Biadesz), and a WR or even a back like Ettienne (Bell will be 1 more year & done here).

Trading back in the middle of the 1st & adding more picks in the 2nd & 3rd round (3 third rounders) could be a bonanza of offense. Lot of good WRs are going to be in the 2nd & 3rd round like Jefferson. 

Sign Ngokeou & Constonza. Work that draft JD. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

This

It's simple, let Jenkins walk and sign this guy. he’s better at getting to the QB than Jenkins. That’s an upgrade.

Or we could, ya know, have two pass rushers?

8 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Same as Jordan Jenkins.

He’s not as JAGy as Jenkins, but Id sign both. 

Tho if Matthew Judon gets free, I’d throw my money at him and forget Ngokue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...