Don’t give up on Q. Williams yet

Jets723

The biggest problem for me wasn't a disappointing rookie season.  It was that he didnt seem to improve as the year went on.

Not many have "given up on him" yet.   But Quinnen better do whatever the hell GW says he needs to do in the offseason to get better.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

We drafted two guys called Williams a couple of places apart, a few years removed from each other, who play the exact same position.  And fans are transferring the exact same post draft dysfunction and bias to the other guy when the first Williams is traded 

That is the most SOJF thing I have ever experienced in my life.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, Maxman said:

If history is any guide this is the future for Q:

2020: Coaches tell him to drop weight and be more nimble. During the season we find out that he can not cover a tight end and he is lost 10 yards from the line of scrimmage.

2021: New coaches tell him to fatten up and go back to his normal position. All year we hear give it time, his body is adjusting to the additional weight.

2022: Everyone realizes he stinks and he is traded to the Giants for a 3rd rounder. The Jets get an additional 4th rounder if he gets a single sack. He doesn't.

Sounds more like Coples. And that didn't end with him being traded.?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Look I understand as the 3rd overall pick we wanted a impact player immediately and Williams certainly didn’t have an impactful year. However I still feel he is gonna be a very good player for us despite not having a great rookie campaign.  I do think injuries played a role in his year but also he didn’t seem comfortable either.  I do think now that he had a year under him he will have a big second year.  I know most. Have already made up their mind on him but let’s give the kid a chance in his second year

People have to keep in mind that he was asked even at DE to be more of a space eater which is why many others with lesser names like Shepherd, Basham, Phillips, etc. were making a lot of TFLs, sacks, etc. along with LBs like Copeland, Burgess, etc. Plus the fact the QW is playing on one of the top rated Dlines in the league and there should really be no questioning there since he is a starter. It's not like he has very limited playing time minutes. Some also as you allude to like Shepherd looked like busts in their first year and now that guy looks like a monster. People just have to let some things play out to be sure. Now we were sure about Leo since we gave it ample time, and then we got a good deal to trade him for a high 3rd rounder this year and hopefully a high 4th rounder next year, those picks that can now be converted to be used on Oline hopefully since we were irresponsibly using no picks on Oline and all our picks on D especially at Dline when the league has now moved to where the O is more important and as we see like on our team the DC can get the players to be a top 5-10 D without spending 10-15 number 1 draft picks there.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

56 minutes ago, section314 said:

You are 100% correct that you can't give up on any player after one year. That said, this team desperately needed an edge rusher, and we were in position to get one last year. Allen, Sweat and Burns were all there for the taking. Any one of those guys would have made this a much better defense. The pick of Q can not be justified, no matter how good he gets.

I don't  think Allen would have had the same impact on the Jets, that goes for Oliver as well. The trurh is our D isn't  very good and over achieved this season. We have no pass rushers and no DB's. The only thing we have is DL and o e or two LB's. Next season can be very different with Mosley and Williamson  back. The development of Hewitt will also pay benefits.  Q will have a lot of help that could get him miss matches and free him up on olays. This guy isn't  Leo. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, genot said:

Please. Ed Oliver's production wasn't that much better than William's. Playing DT in a 4-3, the same position he played at Houston. Not to mention having Murphy and Hughes at ends.

The Bills are in the playoffs the NY Jets aren't I think that helps pacify any doubts Bills fans have  about Ed Oliver. 

• Upvote 1

Problem is if he doesn’t turn into Aaron Donald then we could easily use mid round picks UDFAs to fill that spot instead. Of course not his fault he was drafted so high but it doesn’t lessen the sting for us Jet fans that our roster  looks as empty as a buffet table as I walk out the door.,

So much for the BAP draft strategy.

We will see if he grows up but I’m not holding my breath. Plus, there’s no question that he plays a position that doesn’t impact the game as much as a pass rusher or a stand alone CB. Maybe at the college level but not at the NFL . NFL Olineman are just too big, too smart and too strong. And to add to that, QBs seem to be releasing the ball faster and faster,so  it’s that much harder for a DT to get to the QB.

now if a 50 something guy from the great White North can figure that out how come an NFL experienced  general manager can’t?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RobR said:

Happy new year Genot.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-how-ed-olivers-pass-rushing-was-held-back-by-houstons-scheme ..........I was wrong about houston's

scheme. Busted. It does not change my opinion about QW, though. He did play the 3 technique at Alabama. He rarely played it this year with the Jet's. So, according to the posted article, Oliver in theory should have flashed more as a pass rusher, playing with the bills, and QW's pass rushing production was held back for the same reason Olivers was at Houston.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The Bills are in the playoffs the NY Jets aren't I think that helps pacify any doubts Bills fans have  about Ed Oliver. 

This is true, but the jets could go to the AFCC game and there would be posters that would be pissing on this pick; but yeah, things always seem better when you are still playing in January. No meaningful games in November let alone December can really limit the happiness factor.

Just now, bostonmajet said:

This is true, but the jets could go to the AFCC game and there would be posters that would be pissing on this pick; but yeah, things always seem better when you are still playing in January. No meaningful games in November let alone December can really limit the happiness factor.

The night the NY Jets win the Super Bowl there will be posters here complaining about something. Book it. 

• Post of the Week 1

If QW was held back by the scheme are we really planning on changing it if GW will be back at DC next year? Ultimately I think will be QW a good player but I feel we are going to have the same conversation every year he’s here if he’s playing under this current scheme especially based on his draft position. To me he’s playing at a position of depth and he still has value so if we could get a low day one pick or high day two pick where we can get a starter at WR or OL we should really consider it.

• Upvote 1

Hard to think of too many rookie DL that underperformed this highly to their draft positioning and then magically started living up to it within the foreseeable future. It's still hard to fathom that the Jets went with interior DL yet again last year, especially considering how glaring all the problems on offense were. BAP can really be a complete crock of sh*t sometimes.

• Upvote 3