If The 3 Top OL prospects Are Off The Board

More Cowbell

35 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Trade back or grab the Top WR.  Prefer the trade back but I can't recall the last time the Jets were able to accomplish that feat in round 1.

My worst case scenario, which just be some more acute after seeing that Leatherwood is staying in school.  And, yes, first round trade downs are much easier said than done.

Outside of Lamb and Judy is there really a clear difference between the WRs who will go in the mid first as compared to the mid 2nd?

Id love to see us swap with the Colts and move from 11-13 and pick up a second rounder this year and something else next year and that way we can get some additional chances to address these spots.  

Trey Adams, Michael Pittman, Creed Humphrey, all will be likely second rounders who could really help this team.

I just did a Draft Network mock, and was pretty much a worst case scenario.  Here was the Top 10:

1. Burrow
  2. Young
  3. Jeudy
  4. Thomas
  5. Tua
  6. Wirfs
  7. Okudah
  8. Brown
  9. Lamb
  10. Wills

All 3 OTs and the two top WRs all off the board.  Where do you go in this scenatio.  Epenesa, reach for Higgins or Reagor.  Or Humphrey/Biadiasz

Went with Epenesa at 11:

11 A.J. Epenesa, EDGE Iowa
48 Mekhi Becton, OT Louisville
68 Lloyd Cushenberry III, IOL LSU
79 Denzel Mims, WR Baylor
110 Michael Pittman Jr., WR USC
140 Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB LSU
171 Levonta Taylor, CB Florida State
202 Isaiah Wilson, OT Georgia

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Lith said:

I just did a Draft Network mock, and was pretty much a worst case scenario.  Here was the Top 10:

1. Burrow
  2. Young
  3. Jeudy
  4. Thomas
  5. Tua
  6. Wirfs
  7. Okudah
  8. Brown
  9. Lamb
  10. Wills

All 3 OTs and the two top WRs all off the board.  Where do you go in this scenatio.  Epenesa, reach for Higgins or Reagor.  Or Humphrey/Biadiasz

Went with Epenesa at 11:

Upon further consideration, I think I would go Epenesa as well. Edge is still a huge hole, pass rusher is the 2nd most important position in the NFL and Douglas said he wants to solidify both sides of the line. 

A 4-3 front of Epenesa - Quinnen - McClendon - Jenkins is a tough group. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/2/2020 at 6:17 PM, K_O_Brien said:

Draft Becton. 

A reach? Almost certainly, but who cares if he fixes the LT position for a decade. 

Might be less of a reach by draft day. 

I like Becton, but I can't see him going at #11.  Today at least, that seems like a monumental reach.

I'd take the approach of sticking and picking a WR and then, if the Jets are truly convinced that Becton, Prince, or some other "2nd tier" OT is really the guy who solves their OT problem for a decade then TRADE UP from the Round 2 spot to get him.  Use the Giants pick and the Jets 2nd to get the guy you want.  Instant WR, Instant LT....and you still have a 3rd round pick.

Right now I'm thinking Epenesa, Fulton or Higgins/Ruggs- leaning heavily towards Epenesa. I think he is a legit pass rush prospect who will make an immediate impact. I like that he is much more than a speed edge guy and will not be bullied by stronger NFL O-linemen. I like that he is solid in the run game. I like that he is from Iowa and brings that mindset that the program preaches. Although he may have a lower ceiling than some of the other prospects he has a pretty high floor. I think he will be one of those a 8-10 sack a year guys but make a much bigger impact on the field in other ways. In this defense maybe his sack number jump up.  

A trade back scenario would be great but we all know those are unpredictable and not easy to pull off. 

Taking Higgins or Ruggs seems logical but I've said this multiple times, with the depth at the WR position in this draft, if I'm not getting Jeudy or Lamb, the two really special receivers, I'm not using the 11th overall selection on a receiver and I'm going to wait till Rd. 2 or 3 for a weapon for Darnold. There will be plenty of great options and the Jets have two third round picks if they feel the need to double dip, which will depend on how free agency goes.    

Fulton is another interesting option. He has all the makings of a #1 CB and is right there in the top tier of the CB prospects, right behind Okudah. This again, would depend on FA. But I'm leaning less on that option as Bless has really shown me something this year, as has Maulet (who I think the Jets will re-sign). I feel like odds are the Jets sign a FA CB to play on the outside and let Poole walk. Then draft a Nickel CB in the 3rd/4th round to groom as a starter. Poole played great this year but he will want a ton of money for a Nickel and he is going on 29 years of age and I feel like his success was a little bit in part due to Gregg Williams' scheme. When he went out with injury, other guys excelled in that position as well. 

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

Right now I'm thinking Epenesa, Fulton or Higgins/Ruggs- leaning heavily towards Epenesa. I think he is a legit pass rush prospect who will make an immediate impact. I like that he is much more than a speed edge guy and will not be bullied by stronger NFL O-linemen. I like that he is solid in the run game. I like that he is from Iowa and brings that mindset that the program preaches. Although he may have a lower ceiling than some of the other prospects he has a pretty high floor. I think he will be one of those a 8-10 sack a year guys but make a much bigger impact on the field in other ways. In this defense maybe his sack number jump up.  

A trade back scenario would be great but we all know those are unpredictable and not easy to pull off. 

Taking Higgins or Ruggs seems logical but I've said this multiple times, with the depth at the WR position in this draft, if I'm not getting Jeudy or Lamb, the two really special receivers, I'm not using the 11th overall selection on a receiver and I'm going to wait till Rd. 2 or 3 for a weapon for Darnold. There will be plenty of great options and the Jets have two third round picks if they feel the need to double dip, which will depend on how free agency goes.    

Fulton is another interesting option. He has all the makings of a #1 CB and is right there in the top tier of the CB prospects, right behind Okudah. This again, would depend on FA. But I'm leaning less on that option as Bless has really shown me something this year, as has Maulet (who I think the Jets will re-sign). I feel like odds are the Jets sign a FA CB to play on the outside and let Poole walk. Then draft a Nickel CB in the 3rd/4th round to groom as a starter. Poole played great this year but he will want a ton of money for a Nickel and he is going on 29 years of age and I feel like his success was a little bit in part due to Gregg Williams' scheme. When he went out with injury, other guys excelled in that position as well. 

IMO it has to be a OT, WR or trade back in Round 1.  I want an Edge guy like everyone else does (and the whiff on Josh Allen from Kentucky last year still irks me as it's kept this Edge need on the table for us) but we need to go Offense in Round 1.  Epenesa is a nice player and good Edge rusher, but I'd go for one of the second or third tier Edge guys in either Round 2 or Round 3, and focus on Offense immediately.  This is an Offense Draft, especially at the Top....we have to take what the Draft gives us (which also happens to be what we need).  In the Top 15 I think only 5 picks will be Defense (probably Young, Brown, Okudah, Simmons and maybe Delpit), certainly no more than 6 guys IMO.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

IMO it has to be a OT, WR or trade back in Round 1.  I want an Edge guy like everyone else does (and the whiff on Josh Allen from Kentucky last year still irks me as it's kept this Edge need on the table for us) but we need to go Offense in Round 1.  Epenesa is a nice player and good Edge rusher, but I'd go for one of the second or third tier Edge guys in either Round 1 or Round 2, and focus on Offense immediately.  This is an Offense Draft, especially at the Top....we have to take what the Draft gives us (which also happens to be what we need).  In the Top 15 I think only 5 picks will be Defense (probably Young, Brown, Okudah, Simmons and maybe Delpit), certainly no more than 6 guys IMO.

So you're leaning towards taking Higgins or Ruggs, then addressing O-line in Rd. 2, maybe trading up for an OT. I don't nec. mind that. Get the players you want. I'm with that mindset completely.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, PepPep said:

So you're leaning towards taking Higgins or Ruggs, then addressing O-line in Rd. 2, maybe trading up for an OT. I don't nec. mind that. Get the players you want. I'm with that mindset completely.  

We need to hope one of the top OTs falls to us....or that following the Combine and evaluations Joe D assesses that maybe the first tier is a group of 5 and not 3.  If the scouts assess that guys like Becton or Jackson are Top 15 OT's then I have no problem with a slight reach at #11.....I just don't want the Jets to take the 25th ranked prospect at #11.

AJ Epenesa scares the balls off me at 11 - at like 21 or 28 it's a value play maybe 

he's got no production 

there's one legit edge rusher in this crop everyone else is a huge shrug

in a "worst case" OT scenario the Jets have to go WR. Higgins or Ruggs get a burner to replace Robby/help Sam. 

the OT need isn't even as bad as the WR need 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

AJ Epenesa scares the balls off me at 11 - at like 21 or 28 it's a value play maybe 

he's got no production 

in a "worst case" OT scenario the Jets have to go WR. Higgins or Ruggs get a burner to replace Robby/help Sam. 

most here would disagree.  the OL in general and OT in particular affects both the running and passing games.  RT has been brutal.  darnold's strip sacks were from the right.  last year he got injured when shell missed a block vs the phins.  effective wrs can be found in rounds 2-4.

29 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

most here would disagree.  the OL in general and OT in particular affects both the running and passing games.  RT has been brutal.  darnold's strip sacks were from the right.  last year he got injured when shell missed a block vs the phins.  effective wrs can be found in rounds 2-4.

"effective" WRs can be found yes

maybe even developed

but guys who run 4.25 from major programs like Higgins and Ruggs are hard to find 

the game is won by gamebreakers (and I love the line)

fwiw 4th OT might be Austin Jackson USC hes the one who AJ Epenesa blew up the bowl game 

most around here would disagree, that's what has happened the line has become the scape goat for all problems under the sun 

yes they need to rebuild it but a WR corp of Crowder (a WR 3), V Smith, Berrios and no one? Quincey could retire

WR need is worse than the OT need 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

"effective" WRs can be found yes

maybe even developed

but guys who run 4.25 from major programs like Higgins and Ruggs are hard to find 

the game is won by gamebreakers (and I love the line)

fwiw 4th OT might be Austin Jackson USC hes the one who AJ Epenesa blew up the bowl game 

most around here would disagree, that's what has happened the line has become the scape goat for all problems under the sun 

yes they need to rebuild it but a WR corp of Crowder (a WR 3), V Smith, Berrios and no one? Quincey could retire

WR need is worse than the OT need 

Totally agree.  Even with a better O-line, it’s not going to magically turn Berrios into Wes Welker, or Vincynt Smith into Vincent Jackson.  You still need significant upgrades to the WR group.  

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Totally agree.  Even with a better O-line, it’s not going to magically turn Berrios into Wes Welker, or Vincynt Smith into Vincent Jackson.  You still need significant upgrades to the WR group.  

I can't help but think there's a subliminal message in your post.

Draft Tee Higgins

• Haha 1

I did a few drafts that result in worse case scenario (all 3 OT and Lamb/ Jeudy gone), in the simulators I took Epenesa but I wouldn’t pick any Edge without combine numbers first. Unless Epenesa puts up great metrics the move has to be to trade back and grab another 2nd or 3rd rounder and fill up at the depth positions of this draft. 

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He’s no Dewayne Robertson (10.5 sacks in three years) but Epenesa definitely has production.

A college pass rusher should be in the high teens if not low 20s at some point 

Von Miller, Shaq Barrett, Clowney all had those kinds of years

Drob by the way was  a saint. 

not many people know this he actually wore out his knee ringing the Salvation Army bell at Xmas time

just Drob, standing out there, with his coat and hat, in the biting cold. Politely thanking passers-by for their spare nickels and dimes 

a nice young man, Misunderstood maybe due to monster features and a sub 60 IQ but really nice. 

von.JPG

clowney.JPG

shaqb.JPG

• Haha 1

Epensa or Higgins are the only options imo. Epenesa gets a bad wrap on here but idk why, he demolished Austin Jackson for 4 tackles, 2.5 sacks and a FF when they played each other and Jacksons probably a t5 OT in this draft as of now 

1. Burrow
  2. Young
  3. Jeudy
  4. Thomas
  5. Tua
  6. Wirfs
  7. Okudah
  8. Brown
  9. Lamb
  10. Wills
Went with Epenesa at 11:

That’s almost exactly what I got Lith. Haha I would hate that

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 1/9/2020 at 12:54 PM, bitonti said:

he's got no production 

Yup

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...