Jump to content

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I agree paying a safety an astronomical sum of money is stupid. Who were the safeties in the last 10 Super Bowls? 

I approve of the trade. You can plug a decent ss in next to Maye and be fine. With 2 first round picks we could have Wirfs and Jeudy etc.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You ONLY trade Adams for a monster package.  The Jets have a high asking price and won’t budge.  I’m not gonna just settle for a first round pick because Dallas wants him.  If they want him that bad it’s gonna cost a lot 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Fast forward 3 years....

Trade our All-Pro Offensive Guard (non-premium position).  We need a damn Safety!  These dudes can't stop a nosebleed and are afraid to tackle!

At no point in time has it been the case that this team was a Safety away from contention.   We haven't been able to stop a nosebleed on defense for 3 years now WITH the "best Safety duo in the NFL".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, GumboBoat said:

Dallas or any other suitor that wants to give up a 1st. This draft is deep with WR and OL? Fantastic. All the more reason to gather more picks.

I love Jamal but his new contract is going to be a sh&t show on steroids. Now is the time to strike.

Lets get some more lottery tickets because if one pans out and develops into a star we can trade him away in a couple years in his prime for more loterry tickets! AKA never develop a talented team...

You trade adams folks are Clowns

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I agree paying a safety an astronomical sum of money is stupid. Who were the safeties in the last 10 Super Bowls? 

Well Denver doesn't win their first 2 SBs without Steve Atwater, therefore Elway probably never gets a ring as a player. For a team like ours the Jets we cannot really afford to give up star quality type players unless we get some other stars on this case the D. If we get a pass rushing demon then maybe, but when your SSOLB has your top amount of sacks 2 years in a row we cannot get rid of those that cause the type of disruptions Adams does. Even come to think of it Adams/Maye while we all went nuts picking safeties 1 and 2 in that draft are big difference makers on this D, and not only what we saw in the 2nd half of this year, but we moving forward need to have them close out games with plays at the end. These 2 are covering up the fact that our CBs are not top notch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, UnknownJetFan said:

Well Denver doesn't win their first 2 SBs without Steve Atwater, therefore Elway probably never gets a ring as a player. For a team like ours the Jets we cannot really afford to give up star quality type players unless we get some other stars on this case the D. If we get a pass rushing demon then maybe, but when your SSOLB has your top amount of sacks 2 years in a row we cannot get rid of those that cause the type of disruptions Adams does. Even come to think of it Adams/Maye while we all went nuts picking safeties 1 and 2 in that draft are big difference makers on this D, and not only what we saw in the 2nd half of this year, but we moving forward need to have them close out games with plays at the end. These 2 are covering up the fact that our CBs are not top notch. 

 

F**k the defense.  We've devoted endless resources into the defense and it still sucks.  

Get a brand new OL and a WR or 2 in here and have Gregg Williams work with what he's got, UNLESS we can stumble into a quality EDGE and/or CB.  

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's tricky to judge those who are drooling over their first big contract, but the guy has all the earmarks of an NFL warrior, the opposite of Darrelle Revis who got is fat payday and immediately retired on the field.

As a result of this, and in the context of how hard the D just played to get us with pride and dignity to a 6-2 finish, I believe it would be suicidal to lose Jamal Adams.  This guy has Ring Of Honor written all over him.  And if we're going to take our 7-5 finish and turn it into 12-4 next season, we have to have him.  We need to take steps forward, not back.

SAR I

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d say no, they need to make a silly offer for us to let him go.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GumboBoat said:

Dallas or any other suitor that wants to give up a 1st. This draft is deep with WR and OL? Fantastic. All the more reason to gather more picks.

I love Jamal but his new contract is going to be a sh&t show on steroids. Now is the time to strike.

So tell me, did you want a bunch of Butt Fumbles? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, PepPep said:

There have been some very good ones actually. Now I don't nec. agree that the Jets should shell out a massive contract for Adams or that trading him is not the better move considering where the franchise is right now. BUT great safety play is crucial to success in the NFL and Adams is a special player at safety. 

Starting from last year... 

Devin McCourty and Lamarcus Joyner

Devin McCourty and Malcolm Jenkins

Devin McCourty and Dashon Goldson

Roman Harper and TJ Ward

Devin McCourty and Earl Thomas

Michael Huff and Earl Thomas

Ed Reed and Dashon Goldson

 

Devin McCourty shows up a lot....is he the guy that plays with that QB they call TB12?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's tricky to judge those who are drooling over their first big contract, but the guy has all the earmarks of an NFL warrior, the opposite of Darrelle Revis who got is fat payday and immediately retired on the field.

As a result of this, and in the context of how hard the D just played to get us with pride and dignity to a 6-2 finish, I believe it would be suicidal to lose Jamal Adams.  This guy has Ring Of Honor written all over him.  And if we're going to take our 7-5 finish and turn it into 12-4 next season, we have to have him.  We need to take steps forward, not back.

 

Suicidal?  Come on now.  Now you sound like ultimate drama queen Jamal himself.  You don't pick up the phone from GM's asking about Aaron Donald.  You DO pick up the phone for Jamal.  

We can survive without him.  What we cannot survive without is significant upgrades over Kelvin Beachum, Brian Winters, and Brandon Shell/Chuma Edoga, as well as a WR group featuring an injured Enunwa, Jamison Crowder and Vyncint Smith. 

And no, we cannot find 3-4 new OL and 1-2 new starting caliber receivers in one draft without making some deals.  Trading Adams is a clear path towards rebuilding the offense around Darnold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think we need to trade him but I do believe a decision should be made this offseason.

We have Jamal essentially on a 2 year deal at $7 mil per because we will tender him. We have leverage. Scrap his current contract for something like a 6 year deal for $70 mil with a $25 mil signing bonus. Make the first three years fully gtd.  Essentially give him a signing bonus now 2 years in advance so that we can have a manageable contract. Otherwise trade him for a 1st and a 3rd.

So extend him now or trade him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The problem is our safety being a hybrid is a hybrid because we have zero pass rushers and because your SS is a hybrid we have guys like Hewitt covering slot wrs half the time and getting burnt.

If the Jets are going to use adams as a hybrid they have to go our and get another cover safety. 

When you are essentially playing with only one true safety all the time you are giving up a lot as a defense

Please, he doesn't  rush every down. He's not Von Miller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Suicidal?  Come on now.  Now you sound like ultimate drama queen Jamal himself.  You don't pick up the phone from GM's asking about Aaron Donald.  You DO pick up the phone for Jamal.  

We can survive without him.  What we cannot survive without is significant upgrades over Kelvin Beachum, Brian Winters, and Brandon Shell/Chuma Edoga, as well as a WR group featuring an injured Enunwa, Jamison Crowder and Vyncint Smith. 

And no, we cannot find 3-4 new OL and 1-2 new starting caliber receivers in one draft without making some deals.  Trading Adams is a clear path towards rebuilding the offense around Darnold.

For 12 games this season it was Jamal and 3 Nobodies in our defensive backfield and we won 7 of those games.  He's the glue.  He stays.  At least another year.  We can always trade him in 2021 if Douglas fails to address the key areas that need fixing.

SAR I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Samuel is going into his 3rd year already. Before we know it HIS contract will be up. Wouldn't it be nice to surround him young studs and see what he can do? 

I'm not going to get emotional over a SS. I want to score and score some more. As someone earlier so eloquently put it.....f&ck the defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

F**k the defense.  We've devoted endless resources into the defense and it still sucks.  

Get a brand new OL and a WR or 2 in here and have Gregg Williams work with what he's got, UNLESS we can stumble into a quality EDGE and/or CB.  

Agreed. We can draft D depth in the later rounds and FA.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, More Cowbell said:

Please, he doesn't  rush every down. He's not Von Miller

He is up on the line ALOT and if he is not blitzing he is up forcing on the run.  You hardly see the guy in coverage and he is a liability when he is back there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

For 12 games this season it was Jamal and 3 Nobodies in our defensive backfield and we won 7 of those games.  He's the glue.  He stays.

So Marcus Maye is a "nobody" now?

He's the "glue" for a team that has won 16 games in 3 seasons.  If you think Jamal lacks talent around him on D now, just wait for how little talent we'll have on D when we're paying him $15M a year.  

CJ Mosley will be the glue for this defense.  We'll be just fine.  The NFL is not moving in a direction that suits spending a sh*t ton of money on TWO players on D that don't rush the passer or cover WRs.  Devote the resources to the offense.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although Im going to have to listen to these crazy threads till April listening closely to Gase and JD on the end of year pressers im confident hes not going anywhere. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, GumboBoat said:

Take a deep breath. Addition by subtraction. The Jets needs to fill many holes. They need picks. And most importantly they need to protect Samuel and give him legit weapons.

If our GM starts drafting well, something no other GM has ever done, then we don't need to trade our best player. We'll be just fine with the current 7 picks we have.

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If someone told me that we could trade one of the Top 3 Safeties in the NFL and get a Top 15 Left Tackle then I'd probably do it.  But let's be clear about what we're discussing.  The decision centers on trading a KNOWN quantity, a confirmed elite talent, leader and difference maker at a less valuable position for the opportunity to Draft a player who plays a more valuable position but whose success in uncertain.

Sure, we could trade Jamal and get two picks that turn into a longterm starting LT and maybe a WR2, but we could also get Ereck Flowers and another Devin Smith.

If we want additional Draft picks I would MUCH rather trade down in Round 1 to get them, not trade premium talent away from a talent-less team.  Go from #11 to #15 and take a 2nd round pick.  Go from #11 to #20 and take a 2nd this year and 1st next year.

I agree about the uncertainty of unknown draft picks but the cost of resigning Jamal adds to the dilemma. There are multiple factors and not just trading a proven player for chances at players at premium positions. Many different things to weight out which is why the compensation has to be right too. I’m all for trading him for a 1st and a 3rd. That’s the minimum for me. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of this conjecture is based on a team giving us a #1 & #2 & the one has to be #16 or less. So, based on these strict guidelines this entire discussion is moot, because IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was about to open a new thread about why there hasn’t been a new Trade/keep Adam in a few days.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NYJ1 said:

If our GM starts drafting well, something no other GM has ever done, then we don't need to trade our best player. We'll be just fine with the current 7 picks we have.

Yes, because I'm sure we'll be able to find 4 starting OL and 2 new starting WRs with those 7 picks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

At no point in time has it been the case that this team was a Safety away from contention.   We haven't been able to stop a nosebleed on defense for 3 years now WITH the "best Safety duo in the NFL".  

I don't  agree. The defense has been servicable. It's  the O that is the problem

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So Marcus Maye is a "nobody" now?

He's the "glue" for a team that has won 16 games in 3 seasons.  If you think Jamal lacks talent around him on D now, just wait for how little talent we'll have on D when we're paying him $15M a year.  

CJ Mosley will be the glue for this defense.  We'll be just fine.

Maye, finally, stayed healthy and had a good, not great, season.  60/40 he gets hurt again next year.  Some guys can't stay healthy.

Forget the past.  Look to the future.  The Jets, beat up and injured, turned a corner and finished 6-2 with a healthy Darnold and the O and D clicking under their new coordinators and playbooks.  We want to build on 6-2.  Jamal Adams was a huge part of 6-2.  Not just by making amazing plays, sacks, and TD's, but by his leadership, a big voice in a very young locker room.

Pay him and move on to other things.  The secondary is a CB or two away from being shut-down.  It's not our problem.  If we trade the biggest component, it becomes a problem.

SAR I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, More Cowbell said:

I don't  agree. The defense has been servicable. It's  the O that is the problem

And servicable is good enough.  The D will be servicable with or without Jamal Adams.  We won't be able to fix the offense without massive resources being devoted towards it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

F**k the defense.  We've devoted endless resources into the defense and it still sucks.

What?  The defense won us 7 games this season. We had the worst offense in the NFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Forget the past.  Look to the future. 

I am.  I'm looking to a future where we don't spend $15M a year on a Box Safety while improving the offense instead.

The Redskins spent $14M a year on Landon Collins.  How did that work out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joewilly12 said:

What?  The defense won us 7 games this season. We had the worst offense in the NFL. 

Not helping your point here.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He is up on the line ALOT and if he is not blitzing he is up forcing on the run.  You hardly see the guy in coverage and he is a liability when he is back there.

 

Yes, but SS are supposed to cover TE's and RB in coverage, hence being up on the line. Adams is doing what the position calls for. Maye is the FS. Granted he had a down year this season. Hopefully he picks it up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not helping your point here.  

The offense needs major help but trading your best defensive player from a top 10 D is not helping the cause, addition by subtraction, no thanks. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I agree about the uncertainty of unknown draft picks but the cost of resigning Jamal adds to the dilemma. There are multiple factors and not just trading a proven player for chances at players at premium positions. Many different things to weight out which is why the compensation has to be right too. I’m all for trading him for a 1st and a 3rd. That’s the minimum for me. 

I'm not in the "Don't trade him no matter what" camp.  If the compensation is right then I'd do it.  But he's under contract cheap for next year (4th), can have his 5th year option exercised AND could even be franchised in Year 6.  And, as I've also said before, you tend to get more for a player that you trade DURING the season than at Draft time.  It's human nature.  Think about it....you're a GM and as the Draft approaches you're mouth waters with the opportunity to select all these great college players.  You want MORE picks, not fewer.  But in October or November you're in-season and maybe you have a 4-2 team that you think "This is the year!" but you need a difference-maker on D.  That's when you care less about a draft that's 6 months away and you possibly overpay with Draft picks for a player.

If we trade Jamal I think Douglas should do it in-season this coming November.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...