Trade Adams

3 hours ago, GumboBoat said:

Dallas or any other suitor that wants to give up a 1st. This draft is deep with WR and OL? Fantastic. All the more reason to gather more picks.

I love Jamal but his new contract is going to be a sh&t show on steroids. Now is the time to strike.

No. 

42 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm fine devoting resources to offense....the majority of the FA budget, 5 or 6 Draft picks.  I'm not fine with turning a strength into a weakness just to make up for the ineptness in offensive roster building over the past 5 years.

The idea that we must subtract in order to add is ridiculous.  Any GM who thinks he's good at what he does should be able to prioritize 2 or 3 offensive upgrades in Free Agency and then use 4 Draft picks in the first 3 Rounds to improve a team.  If Joe Douglas can't upgrade LT, OG, WR, a second OG or WR, and possibly Center through the use of FA and existing Draft capital then he should find a new job. Even 2nd tier FA's are going to be upgrades for this Jets team.

Retain Beachum, Alex Lewis, Shell and maybe Qvale.  Edoga is still here to compete but likely a backup.  Add two starting OLineman in FA (maybe a Scherff, Thuney, Costanzo, etc. plus a lesser OG) and draft 2 or 3 more (Wirfs, Becton, Biadasz, Niang, Humphrey, Jackson, etc.).  We're not replacing 5 guys on the OLine this year.  It's just not doable.  But we can reasonably expect to upgrade 3 spots.  The Jets can also get a very, very good WR in this Draft during the first 3 rounds.

We don't need to trade our best player to kickstart an upgrade on offense.

Image result for BOOM meme

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I am.  I'm looking to a future where we don't spend $15M a year on a Box Safety while improving the offense instead.

The Redskins spent $14M a year on Landon Collins.  How did that work out?

We have plenty of money.  While we need to upgrade the offense we can't afford to downgrade the defense.

This "box safety" in this instance is also strong on pass defense and is an instinctive sack machine, correcting an issue we have at edge.  He's a box safety and a pass rusher.  He's a CB and a LB. 

You need to think ahead.  Think about when we're a playoff team.  In today's NFL, especially when we're elite and going up against RPO quarterbacks, we need a Jamal.  That's who neutralizes Lamar, Mahomes, Deshaun, Allen, and all the other RPO QB's coming in the next 5 years. 

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GumboBoat said:

Dallas or any other suitor that wants to give up a 1st. This draft is deep with WR and OL? Fantastic. All the more reason to gather more picks.

I love Jamal but his new contract is going to be a sh&t show on steroids. Now is the time to strike.

That is what a good gm would do.

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We have plenty of money.  While we need to upgrade the offense we can't afford to downgrade the defense.

This "box safety" in this instance is also strong on pass defense and is an instinctive sack machine, correcting an issue we have at edge.  He's a box safety and a pass rusher.  He's a CB and a LB. 

You need to think ahead.  Think about when we're a playoff team.  In today's NFL, especially when we're elite and going up against RPO quarterbacks, we need a Jamal.  That's who neutralizes Lamar, Mahomes, Deshaun, Allen, and all the other RPO QB's coming in the next 5 years. 

SAR I

adams is not nuetralizing those Qb's and even if he did, Adam gase isnt scoring points on those defs...so...

56 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm fine devoting resources to offense....the majority of the FA budget, 5 or 6 Draft picks.  I'm not fine with turning a strength into a weakness just to make up for the ineptness in offensive roster building over the past 5 years.

The idea that we must subtract in order to add is ridiculous.  Any GM who thinks he's good at what he does should be able to prioritize 2 or 3 offensive upgrades in Free Agency and then use 4 Draft picks in the first 3 Rounds to improve a team.  If Joe Douglas can't upgrade LT, OG, WR, a second OG or WR, and possibly Center through the use of FA and existing Draft capital then he should find a new job. Even 2nd tier FA's are going to be upgrades for this Jets team.

Retain Beachum, Alex Lewis, Shell and maybe Qvale.  Edoga is still here to compete but likely a backup.  Add two starting OLineman in FA (maybe a Scherff, Thuney, Costanzo, etc. plus a lesser OG) and draft 2 or 3 more (Wirfs, Becton, Biadasz, Niang, Humphrey, Jackson, etc.).  We're not replacing 5 guys on the OLine this year.  It's just not doable.  But we can reasonably expect to upgrade 3 spots.  The Jets can also get a very, very good WR in this Draft during the first 3 rounds.

We don't need to trade our best player to kickstart an upgrade on offense.

the above bolded...very true...

im also good wiht losing adams after that whole calling out the GM stuff this year. Im pretty sure so is Joe D.

You build through the draft - so, unless we get an unbelievably generous deal (or can't sign him), you keep him and sign him.

Funny, a few years back, people were calling him a bust and dumping all over Mac, now we are arguing that we should trade him for a boat load of picks because he isn't a game changer - why would someone want to trade a boatload of picks for someone who shouldn't have been drafted so high and isn't a game changer. I guess Dallas is dumber than MM and the weekend GMs on this site.

Also, we have no real knowledge of what was offered for whom as we just have unsubstantiated rumors provided by unreliable reporters (mostly). 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

the above bolded...very true...

im also good wiht losing adams after that whole calling out the GM stuff this year. Im pretty sure so is Joe D.

JD has proven nothing here yet. 

Jamal Adams has proven the type of NFL player he is a damn good one. 

55 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the derangement is in thinking that a guy with 61 tackles and 6 sacks is irreplaceable 

All of this.  We can be just as mediocre a defense with or without Adams.  In fact, we literally saw that this season.  He’s an extra linebacker.  That’s it.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, GumboBoat said:

Draft time is a time of "what ifs" and "hopefuls".   We all see great potential and dream that the player we pick will turn out to be great.

Well Jamal Adams has turned out to be great, and you will be happy if we trade him to Dallas for their 18th pick in the draft?  For a hopeful or a potential really good player?

We need more draft capital than the 18th pick in the draft if we are going to trade away our best defensive player.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

adams is not nuetralizing those Qb's and even if he did, Adam gase isnt scoring points on those defs...so...

Adams is the spy on the RPO quarterback.  Gase is going to lead a prolific offense.  We are headed to 12-4.  We need Jamal.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And his position just isn't that valuable.  Certainly not $15M per.  

While people are busy lauding Adams for his sack totals, they forget that he was a liability for our pass coverage as well.  The more time he spent freelancing at the LOS or rushing the passer, the more of a strain he put on the rest of the D when he wasn't getting to the QB. 

Just because Gregg Williams was using him like that doesn't mean its a sustainable way to build a defense.  John Fox built an offense around Tim Tebow once and won a playoff game.  Didn't stop the Broncos from moving on from Tebow the next season. 

:rolleyes:    Seriously that's your best shot ? Tim Tebow comparison?

Just now, kevinc855 said:

cool lets replace him with a safety with 20 tackles and one sack. That will def help us win ball games

I'm hopping out on a limb to guess that whatever safety would replace Adams will end up with more than 20 tackles and one sack. Also, more than one INT.

The evolution of the Jamal Hate Squad.

After Year 1: Maye is better than Jamal. Jamal is another bust

After Year 2: He made the All Pro but I still think Maye is better. He’s not an impact safety.

After Year 3: Probably another all pro year. Well he’s good but I don’t want to pay him. Let’s get a haul because he’s damn good. Let him be good on some other team.

Cant wait for next offseason. Or even better, can’t wait until he gets inducted into the ring of honor.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The evolution of the Jamal Hate Squad.

After Year 1: Maye is better than Jamal. Jamal is another bust

After Year 2: He made the All Pro but I still think Maye is better. He’s not an impact safety.

After Year 3: Probably another all pro year. Well he’s good but I don’t want to pay him. Let’s get a haul because he’s damn good. Let him be good on some other team.

Cant wait for next offseason. Or even better, can’t wait until he gets inducted into the ring of honor.

you cant forget they love to say "box safety" as if Jamal stays within some painted lines of a box lol. Meanwhile the guy is everywhere

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

No, we absolutely do NOT have plenty of money.  The Mosley contract ensured that.  We're paying him borderline QB money.  Our cap space will go away very quickly due to us having a million needs. 

Spend $15M a year on Adams THEN start worry about paying Darnold?  No thanks.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, we absolutely do NOT have plenty of money.  The Mosley contract ensured that.  We're paying him borderline QB money.  We only have about $42M in cap space at the moment and have a million needs. 

Spend $15M a year on Adams THEN start worry about paying Darnold?  No thanks.

Other teams do it.  We can figure it out.  There is a way to keep Adams and rebuild our offense.  I can feel it.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

And you think if we trade Jamal Adams we're going to be able to fulfill all those needs? And is that also all we need on this team? This is so ridiculous. We are not going to fill all of those needs regardless of what we do in this off season. You're dreaming if you think we can.

It certainly will help expedite the process of filling those needs to trade Adams.  The D is good enough with or without Adams.  The same is NOT true about the offense without significant upgrades.  Two first rounders to grab a LT and WR would be fantastic.  

• Upvote 1

Other teams do it.  We can figure it out.  There is a way to keep Adams and rebuild our offense.  I can feel it.

SAR I

You’re basically telling Douglas to do his job with a hand tied behind his back.

CAN he do it? Perhaps. But my plan makes it far easier to rebuild our offense quickly. Which is essential while Sam is still cheap.

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You’re basically telling Douglas to do his job with a hand tied behind his back.

CAN he do it? Perhaps. But my plan makes it far easier to rebuild our offense quickly. Which is essential while Sam is still cheap.

We're winning the division next year, so don't worry about that.

The playoffs are the key.  Home against Houston.  At Kansas City.  At Baltimore.  We need an offense that can keep up with those RPO quarterbacks and a D that can stop them.  With Jamal in the fold, all signs pointing up.  Without him, it's one and done.

SAR I

3 hours ago, TeddEY said:

All of this.  We can be just as mediocre a defense with or without Adams.  In fact, we literally saw that this season.  He’s an extra linebacker.  That’s it.

There are some games he is negated and disappears.  That’s what bothers me.  If he’s not getting to the qb he doesn’t make the impact plays elsewhere.  As an edge rusher that’s acceptable but not for a safety.  I hope they trade him and use the first rounder on an impact wr.

10 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

you cant forget they love to say "box safety" as if Jamal stays within some painted lines of a box lol. Meanwhile the guy is everywhere

He plays more of the "monster" position a good amount of time.

He's not a "box safety".

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just 7 more 1st rounders on defense and the D will be top 10!

IMO, they are 1 legit corner or edge rusher (one, not both) and a relatively healthy year away from being a top 10 unit. 

They were pretty good down the stretch and one of their worst performances (@ Miami) came when they had major injuries in the LB corps.