Trade Adams

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That makes me happy, actually.  Being boring would be far worse. :)

You will not find me ever supporting resigning Anderson at those rates.  Anderson is a #3 WR and at-best can be paid accordingly.

I don't think either are particularly impactful.

If Adams moved the needle, we'd have a better record since he arrived.  A Quarterback, an Offense, that wins games.  Pass rush (of which Adams is a stand-in at best given our lack of LB, DT and Edge rushers) wins games.  Great coverage leading to multiple Interceptions wins games (and Adams did win a game with one of his infrequent turnovers this year) wins games. 

Strong Safeties will never be needle movers, they'll always be luxuries or fill ins for weaknesses elsewhere.  

Someone put it perfectly:

Pretend you don't have Adams today.  Pretend he was drafted by the Cowboys, say.

Would you, TODAY, trade our #1 Pick and #3 pick this year to acquire him, and pay him $15 million+ per year for the next five years?

Given the State of this team, and our horrific 32nd ranked offense, I wouldn't. 

And I don't think anyone else would either.  And if you wouldn't, and cannot defend doing it, well......we have our answer.

Valid points especially the final sentences:

I’m being devils advocate here, maybe I’m in the mood to debate a little today.

1. He’s a 24yr old very good safety, who’s impact on the field we see....... but none on this board know his impact behind the scenes ie: “with the guys“ 

2. signing him shouldn’t really hamper this team fixing the offense: 

The OL should be fixed through the draft, maybe get lucky and sign a decent FA (they usually don’t shake free) and develop a couple guys...ie: The OL under Rex w faneca, b moore etc

Davante Parker nor Deandre Hopkins are shaking free so again WR must be fixed through the draft along with signing a guy like John Brown as buffalo did this year.

I understand the trade debate. However, another route we can take is to get a deal done NOW and make him the highest paid safety right now. This way there’s no hold out there’s no more BS and his ego stroked.

as much ss i dislike him, he is a star and a playmaker so why cannother teams have that but not us ever?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

How does paying Adams in 2 years also cost us a first round selection?  That is what he just proposed.

I don’t think that was what he was saying.  He was saying if he was on another team would you trade for him (giving up a 1st and 3rd) and then pay him $15 million per year?

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I don’t think that was what he was saying.  He was saying if he was on another team would you trade for him (giving up a 1st and 3rd) and then pay him $15 million per year?

If I’m the KC Chiefs, NO saints yea may be the final piece.

Just not grasping how signing Jamal Adams affects how this team fixes the OL and offense as a whole 

2 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

Valid points especially the final sentences:

1. He’s a 24yr old very good safety, who’s impact on the field we see....... but none on this board know his impact behind the scenes ie: “with the guys“ 

The OL should be fixed through the draft, maybe get lucky and sign a decent FA (they usually don’t shake free) and develop a couple guys...ie: The OL under Rex w faneca, b moore etc

Davante Parker nor Deandre Hopkins are shaking free so again WR must be fixed through the draft along with signing a guy like John Brown as buffalo did this year.

I agree with this. We can sign Jamal with guaranteed money for three years before we get cash strapped. Bell and Moseley are the only big contracts we have. Darnold won’t get paid until 2021 at the earliest and by then bell is off the books. We aren’t likely to draft a first team all pro in his place. This defense with Moseley and Adams can be scary good and can take the pressure off of the offense. Protect Sam by building through the draft with maybe another mid level free agent lineman like Lewis and we will be good. 

1 minute ago, docdhc said:

I agree with this. We can sign Jamal with guaranteed money for three years before we get cash strapped. Bell and Moseley are the only big contracts we have. Darnold won’t get paid until 2021 at the earliest and by then bell is off the books. We aren’t likely to draft a first team all pro in his place. This defense with Moseley and Adams can be scary good and can take the pressure off of the offense. Protect Sam by building through the draft with maybe another mid level free agent lineman like Lewis and we will be good. 

We only pay Sam Darnold IF he is deserving of being paid.........................

Just now, T0mShane said:

You’re going to lard up your strong safety with a max contract before you have on the roster a viable WR1, WR2, CB1, CB2, OLT1, LG, C, RG, ORT, DE, EDGE, OLB1 or OLB2

We surely aren't going to be able to sign all those players with any amount of money even we clean slate and start over. 

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

No, because that is stupid for a team that is so full of holes as the Jets are but if you are KC, Balt, N.O., or S.F., it is a good move because he might be the difference between and win or loss in the playoffs. That is the goal, to win games in the playoffs. 

Giving up out 1st round selction and on top of it, paying a player top money is incredibly  stupid and if JD did that, we should all be paying for the next banner to be flown over One Jets Drive for him to be fired.  

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Wjat tackle are you taking g at 17. Leatherwood is staying in school, Wirfs and Thinas are off the board. Is it worth taking Lamb and a OL with probably the same talent level as a guy in the second round?

Yeah you're right best value would probably be LT @ 11 and WR, CB, or more Oline @ 17. Either way both 1st rounders should be used on the offense unless something wild happens like Okudah drops to 17.

2 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Yeah you're right best value would probably be LT @ 11 and WR, CB, or more Oline @ 17. Either way both 1st rounders should be used on the offense unless something wild happens like Okudah drops to 17.

This draft is so loaded, i would love to see is just trade down a few spots, pick someone like Ruggs, and scoop up an extra 3rd and grab 3 OL in the second and 3rd. 

This draft is so loaded, i would love to see is just trade down a few spots, pick someone like Ruggs, and scoop up an extra 3rd and grab 3 OL in the second and 3rd. 

If the scenario comes to pass where Wirfs, Thomas, Wills and the two WR are gone, then this makes the most sense to me. There WILL be a qb hungry team willing to jump up to 11 in all likelihood. Trade down and stockpile as much as possible.

5 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

If the scenario comes to pass where Wirfs, Thomas, Wills and the two WR are gone, then this makes the most sense to me. There WILL be a qb hungry team willing to jump up to 11 in all likelihood. Trade down and stockpile as much as possible.

I think 11 is a good trade up spot for a QB hungry team. Herbert, Fromme? 

Raiders, Colts, Bucs, Broncos, could all be teams eying Herbert, Fromme, maybe Tua if Miami thinks he'll fall so they take BPA & he gets by the Panthers?

All 4 of those teams probably know that Jet pick is available if the Jets board still has 3/4 players they like & they only move down a few spots. I think that Denver win was a godsend going from pick 12 to 11 right outside the top 10. 

• Sympathy 1

Please stop using the "if he was that good we would of won more games with him" argument to anyone trying.

Megatron didn't put the Lions over the top and they lost plenty with him....still an All Pro that can help a team (TEAM) win.

Von Miller was a SB MVP and beast as a pass rusher....but Denver sucks because they don't have a team around him.

Tony Boselli is a potential Hall of Fame LT (I think he's a finalist this year) but he was still part of losing teams because one man can't do it.

Deion Sanders played for losing teams in the prime of his career in ATL because it takes a team to win.

Barry Sanders missed the playoffs the majority of his career because it's a team game.

Take Jamal Adams off the 2019 NY Jets and replace him with one of a top tier WR, LT, Edge Rusher, CB, etc and guess what? The record is still around 7-9. You can't use a teams win/loss record to evaluate one individual player when it comes to football other than a top tier QB, and even then if he doesn't have a line, or weapons, or a defense to keep the other team from scoring 45 a game then they will still lose.

Now if you can get 2 top tier guys for Adams so be it.....but just don't use this argument for judging ANY one players worth, it's simple minded and inaccurate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Where did that get the Raiders. 

Josh Jacobs is pretty good and they have the #19 pick this year along with their own so they can get rid of Carr(which they should, he sucks) - they also don't have to pay Mack $20M a year.

Looking at the Bears vs the Raiders, who would you rather be? I'd take the Raiders right now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s really not about cap space though, it’s about the Cowboys NEEDING those picks to fill out their roster.  They are not a “safety away” from winning anything.  

For sure, but let's hope Jerry is still enamored by the SS from Lewisville, TX enough to pay up for him like he was close to doing at the deadline.  

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

This is the most moronic argument yet. The Jets should trade their #1 pick for nobody, not even Tyron Smith.  We can't  afford to take a chance at even a sure thing if we don't  know if he will blow  up our cap and suck or get injured. If we select a draft pick and he sucks, whatever. Not what you want to see but he doesn't  blow up your cap and prevent you from paying other players because we are not an OT, Edge, WR, RB, or S/DB away from competing.  

You just made my argument for me.  

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You just made my argument for me.  

Awsome, go trade your first round pick and pay top dollar for a player instead of just paying Adams and keeping your forst round pick. Your way is so much better. 

Just because it makes no sense for the Jets doesn't  mean it doesn't  make sense for a contender

I swear, it is incredible how thick headed some people are. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Titan24 said:

That's the real question, isn't it.

The Jets have built around, and prioritized Defense excessively for most of the past decade and more.  The result is plain to see, we are amongst the worst Offensive teams in football over that period, so much so that average 16 game performance at QB would set every franchise record we have for this team!

We stand today with a potential franchise QB.  And little else sure, especially the O-line.

We have one legit NFL WR under contract (Crowder).  We have an old hyped up TE (Griffin) and a young hyped up TE (Herndon), both of whom missed time last year.  We have a disgruntled RB who likely won't be here in 2020 (Bell) and an old man (Powell).    We have a guy who likely may never play another down (Enunwa) and a FA great #3 WR who thinks he is Jerry Rice and wants #1 money (Anderson).

We have almost nothing around our QB going into his THIRD year.  We're running out of time on that rookie deal.

We need to replace at least 4 O-linemen.  5 would be better tbqh, most of what we have are depth type guys.

We need a #1 WR.  We don't have one.

We need a #2 WR.  Crowder is a good slot, but we need a #2 once Anderson walks.

We need a #1 RB.  Hopefully we get something for Bell, but it's very hard to see him wanting to come back with Gase's BS towards him and the flagrant misuse of him and petty show ups in 2019.

We need a #2 RB, unless Powell is still ok (he's not that good and he is old).

We need a blocking TE.  Griffin is ok, Herndon really wasn't as a rookie.

On Defense, we desperately need a Cornerback or two.

We also need an Edge or two.

All of these are bigger needs for an NFL team in 2020 than "Strong Safety who can blitz and gets no INT's".

Are we content being the 32nd ranked Offense in the Offensive-driven NFL of 2020?

Is keeping and investing huge in Adams worth not getting a CB, and Edge and an Olineman?  Or do we think there is no cap, no limit on draft picks, and we can just get great UDFA's for all these spots?

We will never will a title in the modern NFL on Defense.

8 hours ago, Jetster said:

The Patriots only got a 1st for Richard Seymour. A #1 & #2 for Adams is a steal. 

Recent trades are showing more willingness to trade away more than a first for established elite players. There will like 4 or 5 just in the last couple years: Mack, Fitzpatrick, the Miami LT, Ramsey, etc...