When will the Jets start cutting players?

NYJ1

I'm asking a question. Not really sure when that happens these days according to league rules?

Whenever that time arrives, I can think of 3 players that should be cut with no consideration:

Trumaine Johnson

Ryan Kalil 

Quincy Enunwa

Feel free to add to this list.....

Kalil is on an expiring contract I believe.  They don't need to cut him....they just won't offer him a contract to come back.  Lots of guys in a similar situation.  Check the 2020 Free Agents thread for a good list.

The question about cutting guys who ARE under contract revolves more around when you want to take the Cap hit.  I believe you can cut a guy at any time but we're still in the 2019 League Year and things like signing bonuses, etc. get accelerated and hurt your Cap when you cut a guy. I think they still allow you to cut guys in the February or March timeframe and "designate" them as a June cut for Salary Cap purposes.

Also, I might be wrong about some or all of this. lol

28 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Kalil is on an expiring contract I believe.  They don't need to cut him....they just won't offer him a contract to come back.  Lots of guys in a similar situation.  Check the 2020 Free Agents thread for a good list.

The question about cutting guys who ARE under contract revolves more around when you want to take the Cap hit.  I believe you can cut a guy at any time but we're still in the 2019 League Year and things like signing bonuses, etc. get accelerated and hurt your Cap when you cut a guy. I think they still allow you to cut guys in the February or March timeframe and "designate" them as a June cut for Salary Cap purposes.

Also, I might be wrong about some or all of this. lol

Thank you. Honestly, I had no idea? I thought the league was January 1 to December 31.

41 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I'm asking a question. Not really sure when that happens these days according to league rules?

Whenever that time arrives, I can think of 3 players that should be cut with no consideration:

Trumaine Johnson

Ryan Kalil 

Quincy Enunwa

Brian Winters, Nate Hairston, Bilal Powell.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

I think we need to release Trumain by the 14th (or something like that) or his salary for 2020 becomes guaranteed; that means taking the dead cap all at once, but I still think it is a cap savings (and a lot of cash)

Releasing Trumaine :  Now that should be a billboard! 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

We have to get rid  of that dog Tru just because we don't want him at all associated with the team.  Bum.

That deal might be the very biggest blown FA deal in NFL history. Leave it up to Mac to look at players like Kirk Cousins and Trumaine Johnson and immediately be sold on giving them a lottery fortune. All I can say is thank God that idiot is no longer employed by the NYJ.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Along with Winters and a few other bums. It’s going to be a good day.

Others have said this but Winters actually tried. His contract didn't cripple the team and the injuries did him in. Tru seems to have just mailed it in once he got paid.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Trade Jamal build the oline. Draft college kids that don't dance after making a effing tackle every play, or wagging their fingers after a QB over throws a pass to his wr like they made a play. Humble players who stfu and let their play do the talking. Its weird how the top 3 loud mouth plays come from lsu. Jamal Landry and Odell. Besides odel whose been to the playoffs what have the other two done to talk so much?? Never went to the playoffs. They annoikt themselves something greater than they are. At least Landry lead his team to wins. Jamal things to big about himself.

Jet fans should have been invited to Florham Park the day Trumaine Johnson is asked to come in to hear his fate.

On the way out after being dismissed he gets to duck through a torrent of rotten vegetables like a groom getting covered in rice. 

This contract to this player was probably the worst free agent contract ever paid in the history of the NFL based on the returns. 

Trumaine Johnson is everything that is bad about free agency in the NFL & the idiots like Maccagnan paid to figure this sh*t out. I'm all for trading Jamal Adams if we get a #1 & a #2, but I won't cry a river if Douglas keeps him & eventually signs him to a big contract because we all know this about Jamal Adams, he comes to f*cking play! How much impact he has? Well that's questionable but he plays hard & he tries to knock guys heads off. As a fan, that's all I can ask. Nothing, and I mean nothing turns me off more from the NFL like a money stealing slug like Trumaine Johnson. 

I don't care how much money he has in the bank, his legacy is of quitting, sorry azz piece of human garbage that should have been forced to watch the games close enough for fans to throw half eaten hotdogs & pour warm $15 beers over his head. 

18 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Trumaine Johnson

Ryan Kalil 

Quincy Enunwa

You don't have to cut Kalil his contract expires.  I would assume players with contracts that the Jets have no interest in bringing back depends on if they feel there may be a market in which they can trade them for a low round draft pick.