If Jamal Adams holds out this summer poll

T0mShane

If Jamal Adams Holds Out This Offseason/Demands to be the Highest Paid Safety in football, you’ll be...  

88 members have voted

1. 1. If Jamal Adams Holds Out Demanding to be the highest paid safety in football, you’ll be all

• Pro Jamal/Get Paid
    • Let Him Rot/F That

Jamal’s contract will have to beat Kevin Byard’s 5/$71/$31 gtd, so figure, conservatively 5/$75/$35 for an average of $15mm per. He has two more years on his current deal and this would be a giant FU to the team, considering the team has sucked since he’s been here. 

Where will you stand, Jets fans: pro-Adams  or pro-Team?

• Upvote 1

The smart move is to trade him now. When he makes the case that he is more than a safety and deserves to be paid like one of the best defenders in the league he will actually be correct in saying so  

For the purposes of this thread I would say eff him because the offense needs so much and the defense needs corners. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Larz said:

The smart move is to trade him now. When he makes the case that he is more than a safety and deserves to be paid like one of the best defenders in the league he will actually be correct in saying so  

For the purposes of this thread I would say eff him because the offense needs so much and the defense needs corners. 

This is what I was going to say. He is going to say he is a LB, S, CB, Pass Rusher and should be paid as a top defender. Honestly if Douglas thinks we can rebuild the OL without a trade I'd prefer it but I would prefer to trade him than deal wit ha hold out.

Here's my take on this situation;

If the Jets are quiet in Free Agency and dont plan to bring Robby back and have roughly 80 mil in cap space after moving on from Johnson's contract and you're not allocating that money elsewhere (edge, T, WR, etc), than I think you resign the best player on your team.  The only other player worthy of another contract is Jenkins and I dont think that will be too expensive.  You have to spend the money on someone and Jamal is obviously deserving. 

If the Jets decide to splurge a bit in FA (Scherff, Fowler, Bradberry, etc) to give them some flexibility in the draft, than you take a trade for Jamal and gather chips to build around Sam. 

This isnt an easy situation.  Jamal is one of the best defenders in Football.  If you trade him and swing and miss on his compensation, it's a colossal mistake. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Even if he just wants to be the top safety, that's too much.  Jamal Adams doesn't do anything that merits 15M per.  We have 3 years of evidence to support this.

Jamal Adams is the best swiss army knife on D possibly in the NFL.  He does everything.   I couldnt disagree more with this take but you're super handsome!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Is there some risk of a hold out?  

If not, then why is this thread here?  To start another redundant thread? 

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility given he's now eligible to renegotiate and he's outperformed his rookie deal. But no one other than T0m Shane has brought up hold out so far as I know.

• Upvote 1

I used to be a Jamal fan but jumped off that wagon when he went all crybaby wuss mode before the deadline.  But feelings a side, what is best for the team?  The team won 7 games and probably should have won 9 or 10 games.  Does Douglass look at the team like we are close or just good enough based on a weak schedule?  Adding pieces to the offensive side of the ball is what is needed at this point.  If Jamal can net me a mid 1st round pick and some other pick then I would do it.  Jamal is Swiss army knife player but I think Gregg Williams has shown he can work with all different types of players on the defense.  

The question is, would Douglas accept a late first rounder.  That would depend on what the other compensation is.

• Upvote 2

If I were JD I would let Greg Williams have some input here. If Adams will be a key component on his game planning next year them get a deal done. If he thinks the $ is better spent on Jenkins and another Edge then I'd speak to Adams and see if he'd be a leader in coming to camp on time & playing his 4th year at current terms and Jets will start negotiating a long term extension. If they are not open to that then trade him. 

Show his teammates that you're willing to extend your best players.... but there is a way of going about things. Maye's last contract year is upon us as well.... do you try to extend him ?

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Ever try and use a Swiss Army knife? To much crap and clutter to be really good for anything. I need a knife that’s sharp and cuts. Not one with a scissors, nail file and can opener. 

I have knives to cut things, my swiss army knife bails me out of the toughest of situations. 

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Even if he just wants to be the top safety, that's too much.  Jamal Adams doesn't do anything that merits 15M per.  We have 3 years of evidence to support this.

Agreed, I don't think Jamal is worth that. At least not for our team, a contender sure. I wonder if we would wait until draft day or try to move him earlier.