If Jamal Adams holds out this summer poll

T0mShane

If Jamal Adams Holds Out This Offseason/Demands to be the Highest Paid Safety in football, you’ll be...  

88 members have voted

1. 1. If Jamal Adams Holds Out Demanding to be the highest paid safety in football, you’ll be all

• Pro Jamal/Get Paid
    • Let Him Rot/F That

28 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Agreed, I don't think Jamal is worth that. At least not for our team, a contender sure. I wonder if we would wait until draft day or try to move him earlier.

Somehow, I think we can come up with 6 FF and 2 INTs (all in garbage time) in 3 years without that level of investment.  The sacks are nice, but when you're an extra, blitzing linebacker, you're going to get sacks.  I'd love to track the plays made by offenses when he's vacated the safety position.

You're right, he'd be a nice addition to a contender, but, how many contenders can pay 15M for a SS, and how long do you stay a contender once you've done so.

The biggest value we can get out of him today is via trade.  I'm rooting for that.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think you're going to be very disappointed.

Bottom line, if Joe Douglas can't reach an agreement with Jamal Adam's agent, then he'll have to trade him. Jamal will fetch more than just a 1st rd pick. Will it be a present or future 2nd/3rd and/or a player? I don't know. I am just throwing my best guess at the wall, Warfish. 

I would listen to Cleveland if they gave us Beckham. ?

16 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

I virtually always support the player when it comes to contracts. Doesn’t mean I support teams giving into demands, just that I understand that it’s a business, and that players should do whatever they can do to earn every dollar they can.

Watching Revis work the business side was almost as masterful as his play on the field. 

Yup. 

I wouldn't be mad if he wanted an extension, and holdout. I'm always an advocate of players "chasing the bag" 

But as a fan of the TEAM I don't feel its a smart move to max him out given the improvments that still need to be made to the roster. I hope Joe D has the foresight to move him before he holds out

16 hours ago, SR24 said:

Love Jamal but the draft is loaded with OL and WR talent. We should trade him and invest that money on offense and building depth and talent in our  premiere defensive positions (CB,Edge) 

I am so sick of reading this here. Why would you trade the best player on the team for draft picks. We know what Adams is. He is arguably the best S in the league. He does everything a S should do really well and more. Draft picks are a crap shoot. It's  not like we haven't  seen guys like Dave Cadigan and Lam Jones. We don't  even know if JD can run a draft. He has never done that before. 

As for the question, you don't  negotiate with a player who has 2 years left on his deal. It will suck if Adams does this but you can't  allow players to run the management  side of the team. If he holds out, then that is what he does. You live with it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Overall Combined tackles Safeties:

Buddah Baker - 4th

Eric Reid - 12th

Landon Collins - 19th

Shawn Williams - 21st

Antoine Bethea - 27th

Eric Weddle - 32nd

Jordan Poyer - 34th

Terrell Edmunds - 35th

Tracy Walker - 39th

Jesse Bates - 44th

Tavon Wilson - 45th

Justin Simmons - 46th

Vonn Bell - 50th

Ricardo Allen - 53

Harrison Smith - 54

Adrian Amos - 55

Kevan Byrd - 56

Kenny Vaccaro - 57

Malcom Jenkins - 64

Jarrod Wilson - 70th

Ha Ha Dix - 73rd

Justin Reid - 73rd

Xavier Woods - 77th

Rodney Mcleod - 78th

Jabrill Peppers - 79th

Jamal Adams - 85th

Tied for 36th for interceptions for safeties with a whopping 1

21st among safeties for passes defended

4 safeties ahead of him in FF and another 10 tied with him.

He does lead in sacks though which we all know is the #1 thing you look for in a safety.

Some team, and it may be the jets, are going to be in for a surprise when jamal is the highest paid safety in the league and then is asked to play as an actual safety when the team gets some legit pass rushers.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

I virtually always support the player when it comes to contracts. Doesn’t mean I support teams giving into demands, just that I understand that it’s a business, and that players should do whatever they can do to earn every dollar they can.

Watching Revis work the business side was almost as masterful as his play on the field. 

I don't see how you can be a fan of the "team" and take this position.  Paying some players more means less for others and a weaker roster and a less competitive team.  Revis' constant antics may have helped his personal portfolio and wealth, but they were incredibly harmful to the team.  He was not masterful, he was selfish.  I don't admire him. I loathe him and how he handled his contracts.  I'm in favor of paying players fairly.  Not every players who makes the pro bowl needs to be the highest paid player at his position when the contract is up for renewal. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I am so sick of reading this here. Why would you trade the best player on the team for draft picks. We know what Adams is. He is arguably the best S in the league. He does everything a S should do really well and more. Draft picks are a crap shoot. It's  not like we haven't  seen guys like Dave Cadigan and Lam Jones. We don't  even know if JD can run a draft. He has never done that before. 

As for the question, you don't  negotiate with a player who has 2 years left on his deal. It will suck if Adams does this but you can't  allow players to run the management  side of the team. If he holds out, then that is what he does. You live with it. 

Our offense has more holes than a golf course and we also need a CB and an Edge rusher. Moving Jamal immediately accelerates the offensive rebuild and helps build around Sam. For me that's more important than having the best safety in the league, not to mention the guy already revealed himself when he had his melt down mid season. Trade him, draft WR and OL in the first and be done with it.  

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

Our offense has more holes than a golf course and we also need a CB and an Edge rusher. Moving Jamal immediately accelerates the offensive rebuild and helps build around Sam. For me that's more important than having the best safety in the league, not to mention the guy already revealed himself when he had his melt down mid season. Trade him, draft WR and OL in the first and be done with it.  

NO it doesn't the NY Jets have a proven NFL All-Pro players vs "what if" draft picks (Quinnen Williams is a perfect recent example) 

You build a team around a player like Jamal Adams...draft well this season 2-4 immediate impact starters and sign key free agents. 

36 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Overall Combined tackles Safeties:

Buddah Baker - 4th

Eric Reid - 12th

Landon Collins - 19th

Shawn Williams - 21st

Antoine Bethea - 27th

Eric Weddle - 32nd

Jordan Poyer - 34th

Terrell Edmunds - 35th

Tracy Walker - 39th

Jesse Bates - 44th

Tavon Wilson - 45th

Justin Simmons - 46th

Vonn Bell - 50th

Ricardo Allen - 53

Harrison Smith - 54

Adrian Amos - 55

Kevan Byrd - 56

Kenny Vaccaro - 57

Malcom Jenkins - 64

Jarrod Wilson - 70th

Ha Ha Dix - 73rd

Justin Reid - 73rd

Xavier Woods - 77th

Rodney Mcleod - 78th

Jabrill Peppers - 79th

Jamal Adams - 85th

Tied for 36th for interceptions for safeties with a whopping 1

21st among safeties for passes defended

4 safeties ahead of him in FF and another 10 tied with him.

He does lead in sacks though which we all know is the #1 thing you look for in a safety.

Some team, and it may be the jets, are going to be in for a surprise when jamal is the highest paid safety in the league and then is asked to play as an actual safety when the team gets some legit pass rushers.

I feel like this would be a lot to fly from a plane, but I’d contribute.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Play corner or EDGE.

Generate turnovers.

I'm all about paying positions that are worth it, and this is absolutely true, but they have to pay someone, no? Reality is the top guys at skill positions like WR, CB, edge, they don't hit the market often and it's not like one big safety contract is going to prevent them from landing that sort of guy in the unlikely event they hit the market anyways.

Worth noting I have no idea what they should do with Adams. This entire situation is unprecedented. The Jets have nothing but sh*tty players and the one good guy they have is a lunatic, completely unlikable safety that someone else is willing to give us a first for. Go figure.

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

NO it doesn't the NY Jets have a proven NFL All-Pro players vs "what if" draft picks (Quinnen Williams is a perfect recent example) 

You build a team around a player like Jamal Adams...draft well this season 2-4 immediate impact starters and sign key free agents. 

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think we've got too many holes to pay a safety that kind of contract 

57 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Somehow, I think we can come up with 6 FF and 2 INTs (all in garbage time) in 3 years without that level of investment.  The sacks are nice, but when you're an extra, blitzing linebacker, you're going to get sacks.  I'd love to track the plays made by offenses when he's vacated the safety position.

You're right, he'd be a nice addition to a contender, but, how many contenders can pay 15M for a SS, and how long do you stay a contender once you've done so.

The biggest value we can get out of him today is via trade.  I'm rooting for that.

If we use @T0mShane number for a projected contract, we could probably see something like this:

5 years $75m | $35m guaranteed | $15m signing bonus

2020 - $7m (rookie deal) + $3m signing bonus + $5m (new deal) = $15m

2021 - $11m (rookie deal) + $3m signing bonus + $1m (new deal) = $15m

2022 - $14m (guaranteed) + $3m signing bonus (Sam's 5th year option | Jamal will be 26 years old) = $17m

2023 - $12m + $3m signing bonus ($6m dead cap if cut)

2024 - $12m + $3m signing bonus ($3m dead cap if cut)

Jamal's rookie deal has $7m next year and $11m in 2021 so I'd have to imagine we'd need to add an additional $35m on top of those. but realistically Jamal will want Landon Collins type money 6 years $84M with $45m guaranteed, I can't really wrap my head around it. 

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm all about paying positions that are worth it, and this is absolutely true, but they have to pay someone, no? Reality is the top guys at skill positions like WR, CB, edge, they don't hit the market often and it's not like one big safety contract is going to prevent them from landing that sort of guy in the unlikely event they hit the market anyways.

Worth noting I have no idea what they should do with Adams. This entire situation is unprecedented. The Jets have nothing but sh*tty players and the one good guy they have is a lunatic, completely unlikable safety that someone else is willing to give us a first for. Go figure.

I felt that way about Trumaine Johnson.  Hey, we can afford it.  Going forward, stick to principles.  Don’t make bad decisions to try and fix prior bad decisions.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

If we use @T0mShane number for a projected contract, we could probably see something like this:

5 years $75m | $35m guaranteed | $15m signing bonus

2020 - $7m (rookie deal) + $3m signing bonus + $5m (new deal) = $15m

2021 - $11m (rookie deal) + $3m signing bonus + $1m (new deal) = $15m

2022 - $14m (guaranteed) + $3m signing bonus (Sam's 5th year option | Jamal will be 26 years old) = $17m

2023 - $12m + $3m signing bonus ($6m dead cap if cut)

2024 - $12m + $3m signing bonus ($3m dead cap if cut)

Jamal's rookie deal has $7m next year and $11m in 2021 so I'd have to imagine we'd need to add an additional $35m on top of those. but realistically Jamal will want Landon Collins type money 6 years $84M with $45m guaranteed, I can't really wrap my head around it. 

The team paying Landon Collins has the 2nd overall draft pick.  Lot of good that signing did.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility given he's now eligible to renegotiate and he's outperformed his rookie deal. But no one other than T0m Shane has brought up hold out so far as I know.

Cimini and Costello.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Would Dallas, with a new HC, trade for Adams now? I doubt it, he'll probably want to keep those picks. 

Was reported Baltimore and a third unnamed team was interested too. 

Either way, if Douglas decides to trade him, i'm confident we'll get back proper value and it'll be worth it. 

Thing is that doesn't therefore mean these teams will still be just as interested after the season.

They no longer get use out of him for the 2019 season - and in the case of Dallas, this was meant to help push them over the edge from borderline contender into contender - and therefore he's worth less to them now. These teams had a specific need at a specific time, and with a new season they may then feel there are far more economical ways of filling in their SS holes than by trading their 1st round pick and more, plus a $15MM/year extension, which are team resources that could be used towards 3 starters, not just one. 

Dallas is getting coaching changes from top to bottom. Baltimore may win the SB without him - they were certainly able to win 14 games without him - or if they don't then they may feel the major area they're lacking wasn't at Jamal's position.

On the flip side, there's every likelihood that other teams may now be interested. All it takes is one who has a SS of their own hitting FA, see themselves as contenders in 2020, and were going to use a 1st rounder on a prospect with bust potential themselves, with a pricetag pushing half Jamal's future demands. (And his future demands aren't all going to hit at once; there'd be a signing bonus that gets spread over his last 2 years of the original 5 tied to the team, and not merely spread over the new extension years, like Houston did with Watt). 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

i agree.  look at how belichick values positions.  OL/cb are always emphasized on his rosters.