If Jamal Adams holds out this summer poll

T0mShane

If Jamal Adams Holds Out This Offseason/Demands to be the Highest Paid Safety in football, you’ll be...  

88 members have voted

1. 1. If Jamal Adams Holds Out Demanding to be the highest paid safety in football, you’ll be all

• Pro Jamal/Get Paid
    • Let Him Rot/F That

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Based on what? Your hate for the guy. 

Because he’s eligible to hold out for a new contract and ill-informed nutbags like yourself just made him an All Pro for the second time so why should he play for $3 million dollars when he can get five times that either here or in Dallas?

• Upvote 3

what douglas does with adams will say a lot about his overall philosophy of building a team.  here you have the best player on the team, a young star, who plays safety, not typically an impact position, and he plays it unconventionally.  the team needs playmakers and an identity and adams is both.  but in today's nfl you need offense to win, and the jets need a new OL basically in entirety as well as wr/rb.  do you pay the homegrown talent, or use adams to reconfigure the team around a stout OL and focus more on cbs/edge rushers?  

prediction, douglas tries like heck to keep adams here long term but adams' demands makes it very difficult to justify, then trade rumors begin around when FA starts.  

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Problem with only one pick it’s one chance. You trade him and miss and the J Douglas era starts out with egg on his face. Hopefully a three to go with it. 

I'd love for it to be five #1's.  But we should at least attempt to be realistic.

A #1 and a mid-Rounder (#3/#4/#5) is what I would expect to be the realistic maximum for Adams.  We'll see, perhaps.

In either case, I don't agree with the "picks are bad cause what if you miss" thought tbh.  That mindset is the route to complete paralysis as an organization, because you'll always know the guy you have more then the unknown guy you don't have, especially in the draft, but in FA as well.  

You make deals like this to better your team, and there will always be risk involved.  With that said, i don;t see much actual, meaningful risk in moving Adams.  His actual production can and should be replaced by healthy linebackers in 2020.  he doesn't move the needle on INT's.  He's good run stuffing, but run stuffing safeties are a dime a dozen, and shouldn't be needed so much if #3 overall draft picks like QW actually produce.

First round O-linemen are generally a safe bet (safer than most positions).  And no matter how I slice it, a 1st round O-Line and 1st Round WR helps us win games more than a good Strong Safety could ever do.  If they bust, well, we're screwed anyway cause it means Douglas is Macc II.  In such a case, having Adams won't matter, because all our GM moves will be bad, lol.  

Take a risk to get better, and build around a real foundation (the QB), or stay the course and build....what, a great defense built around the Strong Safety?  Just typing that makes me laugh tbqh.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I'd love for it to be five #1's.  But we should at least attempt to be realistic.

A #1 and a mid-Rounder (#3/#4/#5) is what I would expect to be the realistic maximum for Adams.  We'll see, perhaps.

In either case, I don't agree with the "picks are bad cause what if you miss" thought tbh.  That mindset is the route to complete paralysis as an organization, because you'll always know the guy you have more then the unknown guy you don't have, especially in the draft, but in FA as well.  

You make deals like this to better your team, and there will always be risk involved.  With that said, i don;t see much actual, meaningful risk in moving Adams.  His actual production can and should be replaced by healthy linebackers in 2020.  he doesn't move the needle on INT's.  He's good run stuffing, but run stuffing safeties are a dime a dozen, and shouldn't be needed so much if #3 overall draft picks like QW actually produce.

First round O-linemen are generally a safe bet (safer than most positions).  And no matter how I slice it, a 1st round O-Line and 1st Round WR helps us win games more than a good Strong Safety could ever do.  If they bust, well, we're screwed anyway cause it means Douglas is Macc II.  In such a case, having Adams won't matter, because all our GM moves will be bad, lol.  

Take a risk to get better, and build around a real foundation (the QB), or stay the course and build....what, a great defense built around the Strong Safety?  Just typing that makes me laugh tbqh.

at what point does a jets gm fully commit to building around a qb?  if not now, when?  this is a perfect opportunity for douglas to show what his plan is, by turning adams into a starting OL or wr and finally making the jets contenders in the division when the patriots can be had.  

• Upvote 3

This isn't as cut & dry as a lone decision to pay Adams or not pay Adams, in large part because he has - or we think he has - the trade value of a 1st round pick and maybe more on top of that.

Imagine starting to build with the 2019 Jets sans Jamal Adams, but you've got a pair of 1st round picks and another $15MM/year not allotted to anyone. I have a tough time believing that what would really put us into contention is to trade one of those 1st round picks, plus a high end FA contract, plus an early day 3 pick, on one safety. 

Maybe that's worth it for a team that's a known contender, with many starter holes adequately filled by low-cost players on rookie deals (hence gobs of extra cap cash), with an upcoming late 1st rounder who might not even start as a rookie anyway.

But a team like the Jets, that could do with ~4 major upgrades on the OL and another legit starting corner and a "#1" type WR and a serious edge rusher? I don't see the calculus on a team with all those needs expending keep-Jamal level resources ($15MM/year and a 1st round pick and perhaps another 3rd-4th round pick and maybe another throw-in 7th rounder) on a single safety. 

The team is far more likely to adequately fill a starting SS position with mid/late round picks, and/or low or even mid-level FA dollars, than it is to fill 2+ of those other starter needs with day 3 picks or maximum mid-7 figure/year FA money.  FFS Buffalo is filling both their starting safety positions with a combined $10MM and zero draft picks. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

This isn't as cut & dry as a lone decision to pay Adams or not pay Adams, because he has - or we think he has - the trade value of a 1st round pick and maybe more on top of that.

Imagine starting to build with the 2019 Jets sans Jamal Adams, but you've got a pair of 1st round picks and another $15MM/year not allotted to anyone. I have a tough time believing that what would really put us into contention is to trade one of those 1st round picks, plus a high end FA contract, plus an early day 3 pick, on one safety. 

Maybe that's worth it for a team that's a known contender, with many starter holes adequately filled by low-cost players on rookie deals (hence gobs of extra cap cash), with an upcoming late 1st rounder who might not even start as a rookie anyway.

But a team like the Jets, that could do with ~4 major upgrades on the OL and another legit starting corner and a "#1" type WR and a serious edge rusher? I don't see the calculus on a team with all those needs expending keep-Jamal level resources ($15MM/year and a 1st round pick and perhaps another 3rd-4th round pick and maybe another throw-in 7th rounder) on a single safety. 

The team is far more likely to adequately fill a starting SS position with mid/late round picks, and/or low or even mid-level FA dollars, than it is to fill 2+ of those other starter needs with day 3 picks or maximum mid-7 figure/year FA money.  FFS Buffalo is filling both their starting safety positions with a combined $10MM and zero draft picks. 

in other words, the jets need a gm who understands both positional value AND cap management.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Douglas recognized that Adams has outplayed his rookie deal and that he doesn't have a hard rule about negotiating early.

3l3kef.jpg

This place is gonna be lit when the Jets announce it.

The GM of a rebuilding team is going to voluntarily rush to quintuple the salary obligation to his one viable trade chip, this ruining any leverage he has in either salary negotiations or on the trade market because whyyyyy

• Upvote 3

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

When you put it that way, it's almost seems as though my point could be made using fewer words. 

nevertheless the points are valid.  overpaying run stuffing safeties when the team desperately needs major upgrades at virtually EVERY SINGLE OFFENSIVE POSITION is not good use of potential draft capital or salary cap.  

i've written it elsewhere today, but at some point, a jets gm is going to have to go 'all in' on offense, and build around a qb and commit the lions share of resources to having a good offense.  maybe douglas is the guy.  let's hope.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Jamal Adams is the best swiss army knife on D possibly in the NFL.  He does everything.   I couldnt disagree more with this take but you're super handsome!

Being a Swiss Army Knife isn't nearly as valuable as anyone wants to think it is.  And its certainly not worth $15M a year.  

I'd much rather have a corner for that money who is good at one thing:  Covering a WR1 or WR2.  

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Perfectly stated!

If we had two #1's, and a spare #3, would we, today, trade that #1 and #3 (and pay $15mil) to acquire Adams?

LOL!!!  No chance in hell!

A perfect way to put it man, perfect.

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

Our offense has more holes than a golf course and we also need a CB and an Edge rusher. Moving Jamal immediately accelerates the offensive rebuild and helps build around Sam. For me that's more important than having the best safety in the league, not to mention the guy already revealed himself when he had his melt down mid season. Trade him, draft WR and OL in the first and be done with it.  

Honestly, WTF cares about what Adams does or say off the field. He can go on a religious retreat and start worshiping Allah for all i care, as long as he shows up on Sunday and plays the way he does. And you don't  build your O by gutting your D and right now that is what we would be doing. There is nobody worth a damn on D except for Adams. Don't  tell me Mosely, we have no idea how he will come back from an injury that shelved him for the entire season, Williamson as well. The idea of trading the only player on the team aside form Sam that is actually worth a damn is incredibly short sighted. And what happens if JD is as bad at drafting as our last two GM's. We all saw what he did in FA so color me unimpressed. Where is the evidence this guy can draft? Trading Adams at this time is huge gamble. 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm all about paying positions that are worth it, and this is absolutely true, but they have to pay someone, no?

No, they don't HAVE to pay a big chunk of money to one player.  We already did that with CJ Mosley.  You don't just pay a player just do it and/or just because of a lack of talent.  That's how you just create more problems.

Pay a fair chunk to Jordan Jenkins and call it a day when it comes to re-signing our own.  This roster needs a LOT of new faces.