Just who the hell is a GASE PLAYER on offense?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Genuine question for you Gase lovers... Who exactly are we supposed to targeting for "his system..."?  Every player he coached in MIA got better when he/they left. Tannehill, Drake, Parker - you

Peyton. No one else is worth a damn under Gase.

I will take a stab at this. During training camp, the offense was running an up tempo rhythm.  At least that is what the beat writers described.   I think the lousy OL and injuries forced him to

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Genuine question for you Gase lovers... Who exactly are we supposed to targeting for "his system..."? 

Every player he coached in MIA got better when left. Tannehill, Drake, Parker - you name them. They played better in another system under another OC. In fact, most of our offensive players outside of Crowder (who lets be honest, is scheme proof) did worse under Gase. 

So who the hell are the Jets supposed to be targeting that will be a "playmaker" under Gase? Dead serious... Who is a "Gase Running Back"... Or WR... or anything? 

I need to know for my mocks ;) 

i may be wrong but i think he wants and likes the bigger receivers like thomas.

22 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Genuine question for you Gase lovers... Who exactly are we supposed to targeting for "his system..."? 

Every player he coached in MIA got better when left. Tannehill, Drake, Parker - you name them. They played better in another system under another OC. In fact, most of our offensive players outside of Crowder (who lets be honest, is scheme proof) did worse under Gase. 

So who the hell are the Jets supposed to be targeting that will be a "playmaker" under Gase? Dead serious... Who is a "Gase Running Back"... Or WR... or anything? 

Jarvis landry did not get better. There's 1.

• Thumb Down 1

Actuallllllly only the rb’s did worse under Gase. Robby did his normal thing, Crowder had his 2nd best season. As did Griffin.  Wouldn’t say anyone got worse. 

Idk about types but I assume they won’t be looking at anyone with character issues. At all. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

The good news is that the amazing Ryan Tannehill (whom Miami actually paid $5 million to so they could dump him on the Titans) and the unstoppable Kenyan Drake (traded in late October for a sixth rounder) will both be available on the cheap in a few weeks. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Larz said:

are you just being a wise ass or do you really have no idea?

wise ass? Genuine question, lord Larz..... one no one has answered yet.

All of the "dynamic" playmakers who struggled on Gase in MIA have been 100x better in different places/coaches. Our guys have mostly been "meh" under him thus far -- TE notwithstanding. 

So, don't be a smart ass and answer me. What is the skillset and type of player that is a fit for his scheme...  Gase-friendly call it

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Running back?  I honestly don't know.   I was amongst the biggest supporters of the Bell signing.   I am planning to start a thread eventually about my theory as to why it hasnt been as successful as I, we, hoped.

We had the worst O Line in history. 

There. No need for a new thread, just saved you the time. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, rangerous said:

i may be wrong but i think he wants and likes the bigger receivers like thomas.

IMO DeVante Parker debunks that theory.

3 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Actuallllllly only the rb’s did worse under Gase. Robby did his normal thing, Crowder had his 2nd best season. As did Griffin.  Wouldn’t say anyone got worse. 

Idk about types but I assume they won’t be looking at anyone with character issues. At all. 

Lets be honest, Crowder could put up those numbers with Hackenberg. He's the definition of a scheme independent. He's always been hurt in the past which has contributed to why his numbers were second best this year. TE is an interesting discussion, though i don't recall how often we can a 12 personnel.... would like to know more about that...

Robbie? Please. He was dramatically underutilized. Why would we pay him 12 million dollars a year if we only use his field stretching ability every 3rd or 4th week. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Paradis said:

And in the last sentence your motives are revealed.  lol

• Haha 2
13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Lets be honest, Crowder could put up those numbers with Hackenberg. He's the definition of a scheme independent. He's always been hurt in the past which has contributed to why his numbers were second best this year. TE is an interesting discussion, though i don't recall how often we can a 12 personnel.... would like to know more about that...

Robbie? Please. He was dramatically underutilized. Why would we pay him 12 million dollars a year if we only use his field stretching ability every 3rd or 4th week. 

How can Robby stretch the field when our QB needs to release the ball in 2 seconds?  What kind of long routes can we wait to develop with this OLine?

The playbook shrunk because of this OLine. Robby’s strengths couldn’t be utilized. 

• Upvote 2

A friend of mine (Mannish) who knows Gase asked Gase this question. Gase responded by saying ask Joe Douglas. He’s the personnel guy.

All kidding aside. I don’t think it’s clear because Gase is so cryptic. What is Gase’s offense? My gut tells me he wants YAC guys. I think he wants to run plays with a lot option routes which means he needs smart receivers. Spit balling here though.

56 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Lets be honest, Crowder could put up those numbers with Hackenberg. He's the definition of a scheme independent. He's always been hurt in the past which has contributed to why his numbers were second best this year.

Crowder has missed 8 games in 5 years. 7 of them in 2018. I would hardly consider that as "always hurt". 

But I do agree that he is scheme independent.

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

It's worse than fitting a square peg in a round hole.  The Gase offense shape is amorphous.  

Think about it.  The thread title here is great.  There is no such thing as a "Gase Player" on offense.  Aside from Peyton manning, name some offensive players who thrived in his system? And I wouldn't say Manning "thrived". More like "survived".  He hates all RBs apparently.  Drake, Bell,  Does it matter? He refuses to use them to the best of their skills.   He completely misjudged or negatively coached Parker.  Never mind who, because there aren't any,  so just what is a Gase offensive player?  It is indeed mysterious.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Paradis said:

without looking at the actual plays it's hard to say why parker wasn't getting the ball as much when he was there with parker.  if he wasn't it's either because he wasn't getting open or because of the qb's who were throwing the passes.  parker only had a season or so of tannehill.  and let's remember gase had to put up with landry who wanted the ball on every play.

as for a guy like crowder, just about every team needs one of those guys who can get open reliably underneath and provide serious match up issues with the line backers.

4 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Explain Davante Parker.

without looking at the actual plays it's hard to say why parker wasn't getting the ball as much when gase was there with parker.  if he wasn't it's either because he wasn't getting open or because of the qb's who were throwing the passes.  parker only had a season or so of tannehill.  and let's remember gase had to put up with landry who wanted the ball on every play.

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

Tannehill was hurt more than he was healthy and that sure had to influence Parker.  

I think we can make a strong argument that Landry has not been better in Cleveland.  Ajayi is doing what since being dumped?  And how is Drake better, getting more carries?  Thats a competition thing, isn't it?

58 minutes ago, rangerous said:

without looking at the actual plays it's hard to say why parker wasn't getting the ball as much when gase was there with parker.  if he wasn't it's either because he wasn't getting open or because of the qb's who were throwing the passes.  parker only had a season or so of tannehill.  and let's remember gase had to put up with landry who wanted the ball on every play.

6’3, 209llbs, 4.45 40. Drafted 14th overall.

Finished rookie season strong with 3 TDs and ~21 Y/R in final 6 games under Philbin. 

Next 39 games under Gase (24 with Tannehill), totals 6 TDs and ~13 Y/R.

Last 16 games under Flores (Defensive guy) with Rosen and Fitzmagic throwing him the ball: 9 TDs and ~17 Y/R.

But yea, let’s blame Jarvis Landry and Jay Ajai.

Shall I do Tannehill next?

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, WyattV18 said:

The world may never know...

Any of the Mods could tell us which genius here opened up the new Wyatt account (assuming the same IP).  You must be having so much fun with it.  :rolleyes:

Edit:  Well now that you have buttfumbled, I'll say that there can be no doubt that you are a clown.  But we all probably knew that already. 

So what is the over/under on the number of weeks you run with your Wyatt handle, child?

• Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1
53 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Tannehill was hurt more than he was healthy and that sure had to influence Parker.  

I think we can make a strong argument that Landry has not been better in Cleveland.  Ajayi is doing what since being dumped?  And how is Drake better, getting more carries?  Thats a competition thing, isn't it?

the whole point is that every single one of them... Gesicki, Parker, Tannyhill, Drake  blossomed only after their divorce from Gase.  You are finding excuses for it.  If Drake got more carries, then why didn't gase give him more carries (as he obviously should have and after Miami fans were screaming for him to do that last year to no avail)?  SO Gase didn't want the competetion thing?  Or couldn't tell what he had?  If so, then that is very bad Head Coaching.  Why couldn't Parker blossom at all under Gase only to turn into a top 5 WR now?  Please.  It's neither coincidence nor attributable to a non-HC decision to keep the player away from the ball.  The way in which people here ignore or excuse this is alarming.    

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

His last year in Miami, when he started to weed out the bad and get who he wanted involved, his go to guys were Frank Gore and Danny Amendola.   So maybe he likes slow vets who just do exactly what they're told?  

17 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

6’3, 209llbs, 4.45 40. Drafted 14th overall.

Finished rookie season strong with 3 TDs and ~21 Y/R in final 6 games under Philbin. 

Next 39 games under Gase (24 with Tannehill), totals 6 TDs and ~13 Y/R.

Last 16 games under Flores (Defensive guy) with Rosen and Fitzmagic throwing him the ball: 9 TDs and ~17 Y/R.

But yea, let’s blame Jarvis Landry and Jay Ajai.

Shall I do Tannehill next?

you know better than that.  this stuff can be spinned any way anyone wants.  there are lots of reasons why this guy is good with this team and bad with another team.  as i said, the actual miami games would have to be viewed to see what routes parker was being asked to run and if he was getting open.  if parker was open then it's up to the qb to get him the ball.  from what i can tell during this past jet season, the receivers were getting open.  that means gase's plays were going to work.  even darnold was impressed with the offensive schemes early on (i believe the word he used was unstoppable).  he was looking forward to hooking up with herndon.  and, frankly, i don't really care what fans thinks about gase as long as he and darnold and the rest of the team are on the same page.  the last 8 games show that even with marginal personnel the offense worked.

• Like 1

This is actually a great question because player fit in a particular scheme can be more important than overall talent.  I watched this team all season and tried to figure out what Gase is all about and what his “philosophy” is.  His run game seems very simplistic and easy to defend.  Maybe it’s because he doesn’t have a RB that can take it outside the tackles, but everything he does is between the tackles.  His play call sequences are puzzling outside of the first drive of the game that he scripts.  I’m sure the limitations on the roster have a lot to do with this, but I wasn’t impressed with year one as a play caller.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1