JamAll-Pro

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is 100% the mike mccagnan way of thinking.  As long as I draft the 'best player' at a position it is good.

No it is not good because the 6th pick you use on jamal, 6th on leo and 3rd on quinnen are all on positions that in the end do not make you win.  If they did the jets would be winners not losers.

Good thing they fired him!

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

meh - every GM in the history of GM's would admit the draft is a crap shoot. Even the best GM's completely whiff on a lot of picks. I understand the logic behind moving Adams but can we not pretend whatever pick(s) come with that are auto-starters?

You're not wrong.

But with that said, if you don't think your GM is capable of drafting a starting-calibur player with a first round pick.......then he shouldn't be a GM.

I'm not there with Douglas.  I haven't like his moves (the kickers, Khalil) but he hasn't exactly had alot of time as yet.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Most of Jamal’s doubters have come around to the point that they’ll at least acknowledge his talent, but I have to laugh thinking back that several said he’d be out of the league by now ?

What a player. Love watching him. 

But sadly not all. lol

5 hours ago, JTJet said:

You are 100% right. This is exactly when smart teams strike. How many times did we see Belichick deal a player at this exact moment? 

Drew Bledsoe for a 1st - Drafted Ty Waren, won 2 Super Bowls with him. 

Deion Branch for a 1st - Drafted Brandon Merriweather, went to a Super Bowl with him. 

Richard Seymour for a 1st - Drafted Nate Solder, won 2 Super Bowls with him. 

Logan Mankins for a 4th - Drafted Trey Flowers, won 2 Super Bowls with him.

Chandler Jones for a 2nd - Drafted Joe Thuney, won 2 Super Bowls with him.  

Jamie Collins for a 3rd - Flipped it for Brandin Cooks, went to a Super Bowl with him... THEN got Jamie Collins back lol. 

Everyone of those guys was a Pro Bowler in their prime or at very least close to it, every one played a more important position than safety, and every one netted a more important position at the time. 

But yes... you cant trade Pro Bowlers and be successful...

Great post, love the research. I guess the argument to the last line is that its easier to do that when your team has OTHER probowlers, not to mention a competent coach and GOAT QB lol

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

Great post, love the research. I guess the argument to the last line is that its easier to do that when your team has OTHER probowlers, not to mention a competent coach and GOAT QB lol

But at the beginning of that era, Brady wasnt the Goat yet, in fact he was just slightly above average.

- Tom Brady was 24 when he first won the SuperBowl, Sam just turned 22. Brady went on to have a fantastic career obviously. 

- Brady threw for 2843 yards 18 TDs 12 INTs in his first full season, Sam threw 2865 yards 17 TDs and 15 INTs, and he did it in 2 less games

- Brady was a Pro Bowler only 2x in his first 5 years, now he is a perennial Pro Bowler. Sam has only played 2 years so far. 

- Belicheck was 36-44 with career .450 win%, made playoffs once with Cleveland, Gase was 23-25 with career .479 win% with Miami, made playoffs once. 

- Belicheck went 5-11 first year with NE, Gase went 7-9 first year with us. 

My point being that success HAS to begin somewhere, we dont know if it's starting for us or not, but it's better than it has been in the last 3 or 4 years. Everyone on here expects instant success overnight, that's not realistic, nor does it ever happened in the NFL consistently. We are just impatient. 

I'm old enough to remember when the Patriots sucked, Ravens sucked, 49ers sucked, Seahawks sucked (forever), Chiefs sucked, Vikings sucked, Titans sucked, Bills sucked (forever), Texans sucked (forever), Eagles sucked, and now every one of those teams is in the playoffs. None of those teams became good magically in one season, not even the Lamar Jackson Ravens. 

We will NEVER be good if we give up on young promising QBs after 2 years or coaches after 1. 

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Def easier to do when you have a SB winning team —- but the Jets are so depleted in offensive talent that they need to take some chances normal teams wouldn’t have to -

and - literally, if you had to pick the one position (not including specials) on the field in which you would least like to have an all-pro it would almost certainly be SS...Having an all-pro at any other Position would almost certainly have more impact. 

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

No one is going to trade two first round picks for Jamal Adams, no matter how many All Pro 1st Teams he makes.

I have trouble valuing what Adams provides vs. what an O-lineman and a WR would provide in his place, but to each his own.

It’s more than just the draft picks as it’s also the cap savings.

The real question we have to ask is it’s Adams worth....

1) a 1st and 3rd round picks (guess, but it’s somewhere around there)

AND

2) $15mm a year or so in cap space...

IMHO it’s a trade you have to make for the long term good of this team.

Now, if Jd decides the Jets are a true, legit SB contender next year - then you keep Adams but other than that the right move is to move on while his value is this high.

22 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Excellent, the price just went up!

A smart team really would look to deal this player. 

Massive value, nice draft coming up.  Lots of team needs. the chance to totally remake a roster in one draft.

too bad I think this team and the owner does not have the guts to make such a bold, gutsy move.

curb your enthusiasm GIF

22 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

He's not perfect but he's the best player we have.  I also think it's just his antics and animated nature that rub some people the wrong way and cause some fans to automatically diminish what he does.  I'm not a rah-rah guy either, I hate the dancing, etc. and would much rather see the Barry Sanders approach of just handing the football to the official after making a sick 70 yard TD run....but Jamal is who he is, and we need to appreciate what we have for as long as we have it.

NFL. NO FUN LEAGUE 

22 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I actually just read that Demario Davis made first team all-pro. That's a shocker to me. 

Davis has been a defensive leader on N.O.

Another great move by the front office. I get when he first came here he wasn't  much but on his return, he playee about as well as any LB in the league and we let him go.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Davis has been a defensive leader on N.O.

Another great move by the front office. I get when he first came here he wasn't  much but on his return, he playee about as well as any LB in the league and we let him go.

I remember thinking the guy was a jerkoff when he was here doing his stupid celebration after making his one play a game. I guess he's come a long way.

16 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

True story one time I walked in on my college roommate watching this flick. Legit sitting there with snacks and thoroughly enjoying himself. The energy in that moment might as well have been me catching him masturbating because that's the look we gave each other.

My Dad loves the movie too.  It's the ultimate guilty pleasure flick for dudes, I guess.  Also explains a lot about me.....

15 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Exactly what he fails to mention all of those players, with the exception of Chandler Jones was slighlty past their peak and the Pats had players already playing at a high level to replace all of them.  

The whole argument on Adams is exhausting and dumb.  You don't trade an All-Pro going into the 4th year in the league and his contract.  

If the compensation is super high.  Like 4 draft picks maybe.  But the idea of trading Adams for a 1st and a 3rd is just stupid and anyone on this board that believes thats good value would be a perfect fit to run the Browns.  And sadly this organization is that far off from there.   And I think we all agree we don't want to continue being the same organization and be in the same category as the Browns