Stack your Draft Board to #11

jetstream23

With the Jets locked in at #11, it's time to list your top 11 players.  You're Joe D. and YOU make the list.  What do you got?

Don't be afraid to take a shot at this now and then revise as we hit certain gating events like the Combine, etc.

Here's where I am today...

1. Chase Young, Edge

2. Jeffrey Okudah, CB

3. Joe Burrow, QB

4. Tristan Wirfs, OT

5. Jedrick Wills, OT

6. CeeDee Lamb, WR

7. Jerry Jeudy, WR

8. Andrew Thomas, OT

9. Henry Ruggs, WR

10. AJ Epenesa, Edge

11. Austin Jackson, OT

Notes:  I took Derrick Brown (DT) and Isaiah Simmons (S) off my Top 11 even though they're Top 11 talents.  My philosophy is to marry talent with need when stacking my board.  With that said, certain guys like Burrow have to be included.  If everyone of these guys is taken and it's only Burrow at #11 we can take him and trade him.  My guess is the biggest problems most people will have with this are the inclusion of Epenesa and squeezing Jackson in at 11 when he's likely to not go until after 15 or 20.  The other guys in consideration for me at the 10 ,11 spots were WRs like Higgins and Shenault.  My 5 preferred guys are in bold.  Would really like to see us grab one of them.

Positional breakdown of my Top 11:  OT - 4, WR - 3, Edge - 2, CB - 1, QB - 1.  With the exception of QB, that's how I align talent, value, need.  This Draft does line up pretty well with what the Jets need.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I think most of the draft boards will be somewhat similar at this time of year but will be vastly different once the draft rolls around. 

January 20th will make things easier since it's declaration day. I've already seen a couple flip flops on entering the draft and going back to school. Dylan Moses comes to mind.

Insurance issue puts Dylan Moses’ return to Alabama in question

Updated Jan 02, 6:36 PM;Posted Jan 02, 12:37 PM
Nick Saban and Alabama celebrate during Citrus Bowl trophy presentation

shares

Alabama junior linebacker Dylan Moses announced earlier this week he would return to school for next season, but that decision now appears in question.

A press release posted to Moses’ verified Instagram page on Thursday, attributed to the law firm of Moses’ father, stated the family is in negotiations with the University of Alabama about insurance.

As a result, Moses’ decision to return to school has not yet been finalized, according to the statement.

Moses’ father, Edward, later told ESPN the issue was about what type of insurance policy his son would receive once his current policy lapses.

“Coach Saban and his staff assured us that Dylan’s health, as well as the health of his team and their futures, are the University of Alabama’s highest priority,” Edward Moses Jr. told ESPN. “For that, we are forever thankful. At the moment, we are just doing our due diligence.”

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

With the Jets locked in at #11, it's time to list your top 11 players.  You're Joe D. and YOU make the list.  What do you got?

Don't be afraid to take a shot at this now and then revise as we hit certain gating events like the Combine, etc.

1. Chase Young, Edge

2. Jeffrey Okudah, CB

3. Joe Burrow, QB

4. Tristan Wirfs, OT

5. Jedrick Wills, OT

6. CeeDee Lamb, WR

7. Jerry Jeudy, WR

8. Andrew Thomas, OT

9. Henry Ruggs, WR

10. AJ Epenesa, Edge

11. Austin Jackson, OT

Notes:  I took Derrick Brown (DT) and Isaiah Simmons (S) off my Top 11 even though they're Top 11 talents.  My philosophy is to marry talent with need when stacking my board.  With that said, certain guys like Burrow have to be included.  If everyone of these guys is taken and it's only Burrow at #11 we can take him and trade him.  My guess is the biggest problems most people will have with this are the inclusion of Epenesa and squeezing Jackson in at 11 when he's likely to not go until after 15 or 20.  The other guys in consideration for me at the 10 ,11 spots were WRs like Higgins and Shenault.  My 5 preferred guys are in bold.  Would really like to see us grab one of them.

Positional breakdown of my Top 11:  OT - 4, WR - 3, Edge - 2, CB - 1, QB - 1.  With the exception of QB, that's how I align talent, value, need.  This Draft does line up pretty well with what the Jets need.

Nice list.  I am curious on your ranking of Andrew Thomas as the third tackle.  I would be ecstatic if he dropped to 11.

Also, how do you feel about Higgins from Clemson over Riggs? 

On 1/3/2020 at 7:57 PM, Dinamite said:

Nice list.  I am curious on your ranking of Andrew Thomas as the third tackle.  I would be ecstatic if he dropped to 11.

Also, how do you feel about Higgins from Clemson over Riggs? 

Those OTs might juggle around for me a bit, particularly after the Combine, but I know that I like Wirfs the best right now.  He gets knocked down a little by some people because he plays RT but he can absolutely play both spots.  I think he could be a Top 15 LT in the NFL and he could honestly be a Top 3 or 5 RT.  His flexibility bumps him up for me.  We'd be fortunate to get Thomas as well but there are some minor concerns with him.  Not quite nit-picky stuff but some things he needs to improve, notably some technique issues when firing off the ball and losing balance a little, occasionally missing with his punch, etc.  His feet are good but if he takes a mistep or misses with his punch he's not an elite enough athlete to recover against NFL-caliber DE's IMO.  Wirfs, Wills and Thomas are the 3 guys I think are worth it at #11....I snuck Austin Jackson in at 11 simply because of our desperation for an OT. :P  But make no mistake....there's no Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden in this class, but it's a deep class.  If the Jets go WR in Round 1 I won't panic because they can absolutely comeback early in Round 2 and get a capable, starting caliber LT prospect.

I like both Higgins and Ruggs.  As I mentioned Higgins was in contention for that #11 spot as well (he's my next WR after Ruggs).  Higgins is clearly the bigger guy (by about 4") and probably the better route runner.  I'd even say he's a more complete WR....but Ruggs has that game-changing speed and athleticism that today's NFL wants.  He is acrobatic and elusive and at 6'0" and about 185-190 lbs. his size is good enough.  Cornerbacks are going to have to do one of two things against him, try to jam him at the line and hope they don't screw it up....because he'll be gone.  Or, they'll give him big cushions and then the QB will hit him with a quick throw and watch him elude.  I think Ruggs will time faster than Mecole Hardman's 4.33 at the Combine.  When I think of Ruggs there are 3 letters that come to mind....YAC.  This is a sick WR draft, especially in the first 1 to 2 rounds.  Really good WRs are starting to flood the league, making it painful that the Jets don't really have one.

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Those OTs might juggle around for me a bit, particularly after the Combine, but I know that I like Wirfs the best right now.  He gets knocked down a little by some people because he plays RT but he can absolutely play both spots.  I think he could be a Top 15 LT in the NFL and he could honestly be a Top 3 or 5 RT.  His flexibility bumps him up for me.  We'd be fortunate to get Thomas as well but there are some minor concerns with him.  Not quite nit-picky stuff but some things he needs to improve, notably some technique issues when firing off the ball and losing balance a little, occasionally missing with his punch, etc.  His feet are good but if he takes a mistep or misses with his punch he's not an elite enough athlete to recover against NFL-caliber DE's IMO.  Wirfs, Wills and Thomas are the 3 guys I think are worth it at #11....I snuck Austin Jackson in at 11 simply because of our desperation for an OT. :P  But make no mistake....there's no Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden in this class, but it's a deep class.  If the Jets go WR in Round 1 I won't panic because they can absolutely comeback early in Round 2 and get a capable, starting caliber LT prospect.

I like both Higgins and Ruggs.  As I mentioned Higgins was in contention for that #11 spot as well (he's my next WR after Ruggs).  Higgins is clearly the bigger guy (by about 4") and probably the better route runner.  I'd even say he's a more complete WR....but Ruggs has that game-changing speed and athleticism that today's NFL wants.  He is acrobatic and elusive and at 6'0" and about 185-190 lbs. his size is good enough.  Cornerbacks are going to have to do one of two things against him, try to jam him at the line and hope they don't screw it up....because he'll be gone.  Or, they'll give him big cushions and then the QB will hit him with a quick throw and watch him elude.  I think Ruggs will time faster than Mecole Hardman's 4.33 at the Combine.  When I think of Ruggs there are 3 letters that come to mind....YAC.  This is  sick WR draft, especially in the first 1 to 2 rounds.  Really good WRs are starting to flood the league, making it painful that the Jets don't really have one.

Thanks for the thoughtful answer.  I see Douglas being the anti-mac in this draft in terms of BAP.  I see him putting positional value ahead of BAP and with that, the Jets end up drafting one of the 3 tackles should they be there (and everyone ahead of them wants a tackle) or pass rusher.     He would only draft WR in 2nd and 3rd round.  

• Upvote 1

My overall top 11(ish) is (in order)

1) Burrow

2) Young

3) Okudah

4) Lamb

5) Jeudy

6) Wirfs

7) Thomas

8. Tua

9) Brown

10) Wills

11) Epenesa

12) Higgins

13) Ruggs

I think that Herbert will end up drafted before at least half these guys. I’m hoping Wills’s Alabama pedigree pushes him up and Wirfs down. I like Wirfs better and think he has higher upside than every other tackle in the draft.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

My overall top 11(ish) is (in order)

1) Burrow

2) Young

3) Okudah

4) Lamb

5) Jeudy

6) Wirfs

7) Thomas

8. Tua

9) Brown

10) Wills

11) Epenesa

12) Higgins

13) Ruggs

I think that Herbert will end up drafted before at least half these guys. I’m hoping Wills’s Alabama pedigree pushes him up and Wirfs down. I like Wirfs better and think he has higher upside than every other tackle in the draft.

Wirfs would be a homerun.  There are only 3 guys I'd take before him.  If we miss out on the Top OTs then a WR from this class is a very, very nice consolation prize.  We cannot trade up (at least in Round 1).  Sit there and take what the Draft gives us at #11....there will be an excellent player that fits a need for the Jets in that spot no matter what.  BUT, if we end up with a WR in Round 1 then I might not have a problem watching Joe D maneuver in Round 2.  I really, really don't want to give up picks but if it takes a 4th to slide up a few spots in Round 2 to grab a really good LT prospect that somehow falls after the OT run in Round 1....then I'd be okay with it.

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

My big board at 11?  

Tee Higgins.  That is all.  

I was not a fan of Higgins last year but after watching tape on him he's WR 3 on my board. With that being said my top 10 is:

Joe Burrow

Chase Young

Jedrick Wills

Jeff Okudah

Tua Tagovailoa

Andrew Thomas

Jerry Jeudy

CeeDee Lamb

Tristan Wirfs

Tee Higgins

Isaiah Simmons

19 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

1. Chase Young, Edge

2. Jeffrey Okudah, CB

3. Joe Burrow, QB

4. Tristan Wirfs, OT

5. Jedrick Wills, OT

6. CeeDee Lamb, WR

7. Jerry Jeudy, WR

8. Andrew Thomas, OT

9. Henry Ruggs, WR

10. AJ Epenesa, Edge

11. Austin Jackson, OT

pretty tight list. Tough to argue with it.

I have a short list at the moment of players i think have a chance to be there at 11 (in some cases better chances than others)

• Higgins
  • Wills
  • Thomas
  • Jackson
  • Lamb
  • Wirfs

Thats it. Jeudy will be gone, and there's no other names that should be called out on Draft Day by the Jets. 

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

pretty tight list. Tough to argue with it.

I have a short list at the moment of players i think have a chance to be there at 11 (in some cases better chances than others)

• Higgins
  • Wills
  • Thomas
  • Jackson
  • Lamb
  • Wirfs

Thats it. Jeudy will be gone, and there's no other names that should be called out on Draft Day by the Jets. 

What do you think of Jackson?  Worthy of going at 11?  Do you like him better than Wirfs?

34 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

What do you think of Jackson?  Worthy of going at 11?  Do you like him better than Wirfs?

Yes, but without a lot of authority... Some of the finer points of OTs are lost on me, I don't always understand the nuances of the position, technically speaking. I see a more athletic, natural mover with Jackson. And stout enough at LOS that I get a stalwart LT vibe... I see more of a Jack Conklin RT guy with Wirfs? 

Rob's your man for that convo

Taking into account our needs my board would look something like this. I still believe A.Thomas is the top LT prospect and I view Jeudy as having more upside than Lamb although both are special WRs. I did the same thing where I put Burrow in there but I put him way lower not based on talent level, just based on the Jets other needs, thinking, would the Jets pass on these other prospects to draft Burrow and try to finagle a trade? Probably not. 

1. Chase Young

2. A.Thomas

3. J.Okudah 

4. Jeudy

5. Wirfs

6. Wills 

7. Lamb

8. Epenesa

9. Burrow

10. Fulton

11. Biadasz

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, PepPep said:

Taking into account our needs my board would look something like this. I still believe A.Thomas is the top LT prospect and I view Jeudy as having more upside than Lamb although both are special WRs. I did the same thing where I put Burrow in there but I put him way lower not based on talent level, just based on the Jets other needs, thinking, would the Jets pass on these other prospects to draft Burrow and try to finagle a trade? Probably not. 

1. Chase Young

2. A.Thomas

3. J.Okudah 

4. Jeudy

5. Wirfs

6. Wills 

7. Lamb

8. Epenesa

9. Burrow

10. Fulton

11. Biadasz

I've been big on the Biadasz front but I can't put him in the Top 11.  It's not just his bad game vs. Oregon last week, it's that he's not even near a Nick Mangold level prospect IMO and Nick went what, 29th?

I wouldn't complain if the Jets somehow found a way to snag him with their 2nd pick but they'd likely need to trade up into the very end of the 1st round to make it happen.

A little surprised to only see two WRs in your Top 11.  Jeudy and Lamb are definitely the two studs of the group but Ruggs and Higgins should be sniffing around the Top 10-15 range IMO.

On 1/4/2020 at 11:38 AM, jetstream23 said:

Wirfs would be a homerun.  There are only 3 guys I'd take before him.  If we miss out on the Top OTs then a WR from this class is a very, very nice consolation prize.  We cannot trade up (at least in Round 1).  Sit there and take what the Draft gives us at #11....there will be an excellent player that fits a need for the Jets in that spot no matter what.  BUT, if we end up with a WR in Round 1 then I might not have a problem watching Joe D maneuver in Round 2.  I really, really don't want to give up picks but if it takes a 4th to slide up a few spots in Round 2 to grab a really good LT prospect that somehow falls after the OT run in Round 1....then I'd be okay with it.

I actually forgot that I think Simmons will also end up going in the top 10. We’ll get a good player at 11 the question will be whether or not Douglas sees an opportunity to trade back and pick up another top 50 pick.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I've been big on the Biadasz front but I can't put him in the Top 11.  It's not just his bad game vs. Oregon last week, it's that he's not even near a Nick Mangold level prospect IMO and Nick went what, 29th?

I wouldn't complain if the Jets somehow found a way to snag him with their 2nd pick but they'd likely need to trade up into the very end of the 1st round to make it happen.

A little surprised to only see two WRs in your Top 11.  Jeudy and Lamb are definitely the two studs of the group but Ruggs and Higgins should be sniffing around the Top 10-15 range IMO.

The way I look at it Biadasz is the top C in the draft and clearly a 1st round prospect. I think he could develop into a top 10 C in the NFL. The Jets have a major need at the C position. That is why he is there, plain and simple. Mangold was a HOFer so hard to compare to him. In hindsight, Mangold should have gone top 10. I have Biadasz low on the list, he's the last guy on there. 

I like Higgins, less so Ruggs. But you are right, Lamb and Jeudy are the truly special ones of the group. I have no problem taking Burrow off the list and putting Higgins on there. The notion of drafting Burrow just to trade him seems far fetched, mostly b/c he is all but guaranteed to be gone before 11, will most likely go #1 to cincy, and the Jets have a QB in Darnold.  

• Upvote 1