KRL

He had 19.5 sacks this year and is a free agent.  But I hope Douglas
is cautious in going after him because his career production doesn't
make sense:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16967/shaquil-barrett

Barrett's been healthy throughout his career but has never "sniffed"
the kind of year he had in 2019.  Was it a fluke???  I would hate
to pay him 15-18 million a year then have him go back to 4-5 sacks

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER           pay a guy top F/A money who has ONLY put up numbers in his career year.  It shows you the effort only comes out when there is money to be made.  There is about 1,000 of these examples across all four major sports.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER           pay a guy top F/A money who has ONLY put up numbers in his career year.  It shows you the effort only comes out when there is money to be made.  There is about 1,000 of these examples across all four major sports.

Bryan Thomas did it twice to us

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, varjet said:

Farrior has a great contract year with the Jets and then a great career with the Steelers. 

Shaq is a guy who gets a contract like Jenkins would with escalators for performance targets. He needs to be motivated. 

Farrior was completely miscast as an OLB by the Jets during Parcells' tenure.  His great contract year was post-Parcells.  His success playing ILB with the Steelers was very predictable.   Could have been one of the great Jets.

NO TO ALL OF THEM

Why are so many here still in love with the idea of signing these big Day 0 and Day 1 free agents when they literally almost NEVER work out and have gigantic opportunity cost. Havent the last 20 of these guys that Tanny Idzik and Mac signed taught us nothing? We should definitely sign free agents but they should be the medium to low priced guys that we can coach up and add depth and flexibility across the board. I swear that free agency, minimum cap expenditure and the compensatory system are designed to keep the bad teams bad. Stop the madness. To be honest we should be trading and letting marginal high ticket goes go, and signing our own players early. Poole and Jordan Jenkins should have already been extended as an example. Demario should have been extended rather than paying more for Avery. Bell, Moseley, Barr (we tried) all those first day guys should have never been signed.

STOP THE MADNESS---NO TO BIG TICKET FREE AGENTS

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, KRL said:

He had 19.5 sacks this year and is a free agent.  But I hope Douglas
is cautious in going after him because his career production doesn't
make sense:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16967/shaquil-barrett

Barrett's been healthy throughout his career but has never "sniffed"
the kind of year he had in 2019.  Was it a fluke???  I would hate
to pay him 15-18 million a year then have him go back to 4-5 sacks

Barrett might be fool's gold. 19 sacks is monster production any way you slice it, but he had a couple of 4 sack games that inflated his numbers

We need to add an edge rusher but I would proceed with caution when it comes to Barrett

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The whole Jameis thing is so strange.

A guy that leads the league in passing and 2nd in td passes and he is going to get dumped, and justifiably so.

He'll always have a job in this league, at least.  He'll be a high quality backup/spot starter for the remainder of his career.  

1 hour ago, Il Mostro said:

Farrior was completely miscast as an OLB by the Jets during Parcells' tenure.  His great contract year was post-Parcells.  His success playing ILB with the Steelers was very predictable.   Could have been one of the great Jets.

Speaking of letting LBs go to early, who the hell thought Demario Davis would turn into a 1st team All-Pro? Imagine he was still here and we didn't sign Mosely?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Todd Bowles brings out the best in players. 

Gimme Fowler, Ngokue, or Judon. If available. 

Or Dupree who I like a lot. 

I actually like Clowney as well and I don't think he will command any more money than some of these other guys. I think he's a very good pass rusher despite the low sack numbers this year. I know he's not exactly a popular choice but man I've seen him impact some games in Seattle this year. I think you put on this defense and he gets to 10+ sacks next year.