Offensive lineman to Know ~

https://elitesportsny.com/2020/01/04/new-york-jets-offensive-linemen-to-know-for-the-2020-nfl-draft/

The New York Jets‘ draft targets aren’t a mystery. They want to draft offensive linemen. General manager Joe Douglas made that clear the day he walked through the door. The offensive line was one of the worst in the NFL in 2019.

They ranked bottom three in nearly every important stat and considering the offense is built around a young quarterback, having a strong offensive line is a must.

They need to keep Sam Darnold healthy and in a clean pocket. When Darnold had a clean pocket, he was an above-average quarterback in 2019, ranking 12th in passer rating. When he was pressured, he was one of the three worst passers in football.

ADVERTISING

Lucky for the Jets, this is a very strong offensive line class. There are four offensive linemen with top-15 grades. All four of them play tackle, which is the Jets’ biggest need. Both Brandon Shell and Kelvin Beachum are free agents when the season ends.

Andrew Thomas, Georgia

Thomas is the top-rated tackle in this draft. He will likely be off the board by the time the Jets are on the clock, but one can hope.

Thomas has NFL size standing at 6-foot-5 and 320 pounds. That size doesn’t hurt his athleticism at all. Thomas has the quickest feet in the draft and he uses it well in his pass protection.

Pass protection is Thomas’s strong suit. He has excellent technique and footwork. His long arms help him get leverage on most edge rushers. Most impressive though is that Thomas was a four-year starter at Georgia and never had a below-average pass-block grade by PFF.

With all that said, His run blocking is a work in progress. He lacks that nasty streak that offensive linemen need to be elite run blockers and lacks the ability to block in space. When moving to the second level of the defense, he often opts to chip instead of engaging, which costs his running back yards.

All in all, Thomas is an elite offensive lineman prospect. The Jets would be lucky if he fell to them. However, barring a miracle Thomas will likely be selected in the top-10, perhaps even the top-five.

Jedrick Wills Jr., Alabama

Wills Jr. is the first realistic target for the Jets and it’s still unlikely that Wills Jr. will be on the board, but it’s not improbable.

Wills Jr. is the best pass blocker in the draft class. He has quick feet, though not as quick as Thomas. His pass blocking technique is the best in the draft and he uses his 6-foot-5, 320-pound frame to great effect. He’s incredibly difficult to move off his spot.

He’s been protecting Tua Tagovailoa’s blindside this season and has done an excellent job, allowing just one sack all season. Among a mediocre Alabama offensive line, Wills Jr. stands out.

His run blocking needs work. His technique is good, but his effort and IQ could stand to improve. He often loses the ball on run plays leading to unnecessary block or taking himself out of the play.

That said, when he’s on, he can be an elite run blocker. He handles his man and moves to the second level. His run blocking in the red zone is arguably the best in the draft.

Wills Jr. is behind Thomas simply because he plays right tackle and for his inconsistencies in the run game. He’ll likely be a top-10 pick, but if teams are put off by his lack of time at left tackle, he could fall right into the New York Jets’ lap.

Tristan Wirfs, Iowa

Wirfs, like Wills Jr., is a RT. Unlike the previous two offensive linemen, Wirfs is a mauler who focuses on his technique rather than relying heavily on his athleticism.

He’s a decent pass protector. His 6-foot-5 and 320-pound size helps Wirfs ward off power rushers. He has no problems going shot for shot with the best power rushers in college football.

Speed rushers, on the other hand, give him a headache. He has slow feet, which allow him to fall prey to speed rushers on the outside. He’ll need to learn how to use his long arms and to deal with speed rushers if he’s going to have any success pass blocking in the NFL.

When he’s engaged, Wirfs is a force of nature in the run game and he is absolutely dominant when the ball is run off the right side. He seals lanes and pushes players off their spots with ease.

The issue is that he loses that edge when the ball is run away from him. He often becomes apathetic and doesn’t attempt to block anyone, rarely pushing to the second level on runs off the left side.

Wirfs is a hard player to nail down. The potential for an Orlando Brown-esque dominant mauler right tackle is there. That said, it’s just as likely that Wirfs lack of athleticism will be his downfall, leading to a move to guard or worse—a career as a backup.

Mekhi Becton, Louisville

Becton is a ball of raw athleticism. There is no prospect in this class quite like him. Standing at 6-foot-7 and 368 pounds, he’s by far the biggest offensive lineman in the class. He puts that size to use in all phases of the game.

In pass protection, Becton is a monster. He is known for his highlight-reel blocks where he physically throws people off their spots.

But it’s not all sunshine with Becton. His technique needs a ton of work. In pass protection, he often displays too much aggression and that leads to some issues. His hand fighting is the worst of the four offensive linemen and he struggles to recover once he’s beaten off the snap.

In the run game, Becton is incredibly mobile. He’s constantly looking for someone to hit, and he is essential to Lousiville’s ability to run the ball. They often moved him over to right tackle just so he could set the edge.

The technique is not awful, but it’s not at the level of the others. He’s the high ceiling-low floor prospect in this year’s class. If the New York Jets want to gamble, Becton is the guy to do it on.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Trey Smith 6-5, 330, G/T Tennessee

Creed Humphrey  6-4, 335, C Oklahoma 

2 more good options.

I'm still very high on Prince Tega Wanogho out of Auburn if he declares. Also a raw prospect. More of a tall, lean, athletic type with a basketball background. Very good in space. All the tools are there, needs to get stronger and needs polish for the NFL but looks the part of a prototypical NFL LT. Rd. 2 prospect.

I also like Lucas Niang out of TCU.

As far as interior linemen, there's Ben Bredeson out of Michigan, S.Kindley out of Georgia and Yasir Durant out of Missouri is an interesting OT/OG prospect. 

Of course, this all depends on the type of O-linemen JD and Gase want to bring in. Not all of these guys do the same things well. 

What is Trey Smith's health status? Is he cleared to play after his blood clots? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I'm still very high on Prince Tega Wanogho out of Auburn if he declares. Also a raw prospect. More of a tall, lean, athletic type with a basketball background. Very good in space. All the tools are there, needs to get stronger and needs polish for the NFL but looks the part of a prototypical NFL LT. Rd. 2 prospect.

I also like Lucas Niang out of TCU.

As far as interior linemen, there's Ben Bredeson out of Michigan, S.Kindley out of Georgia and Yasir Durant out of Missouri is an interesting OT/OG prospect. 

Of course, this all depends on the type of O-linemen JD and Gase want to bring in. Not all of these guys do the same things well. 

What is Trey Smith's health status? Is he cleared to play after his blood clots? 

Yes. Trey has started at an All SeC level this year, All American  at LG all year. Had some maul blocks in the Gator bowl Thursday night. Seems to be in good health. Could be a steal in the 3rd or 4th.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Austin Jackson or if we're still looking after Round 1 then Prince Tega Wanogho, Josh Jones or Lucas Niang.

There are about 8-9 guys between both LT and RT that have the ability to become almost immediate starters out of this Draft class.

I really like Wanogho as well.  Could be the perfect guy (second round?) to play RT in 2020 and move over the LT after Beachum retires.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I didn't know Wirfs is grading out to be a RT.  That changes some things in my mind.  

He's not necessarily.  He can play both.  I believe they had him playing RT at Iowa simply because their other tackle could ONLY play LT.  Wirfs can play both and he was both the best LT and RT they had.  But @HawkeyeJet can elaborate on that I think.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

He's not necessarily.  He can play both.  I believe they had him playing RT at Iowa simply because their other tackle could ONLY play LT.  Wirfs can play both and he was both the best LT and RT they had.  But @HawkeyeJet can elaborate on that I think.

Makes sense.  If there's a decent chance an OT we take can be our LT, I want to go OT with our 1st rounder.  But if not, I think we should go WR and take OL with our next several picks after that.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Makes sense.  If there's a decent chance an OT we take can be our LT, I want to go OT with our 1st rounder.  But if not, I think we should go WR and take OL with our next several picks after that.

I'm on the same page.  If Wirfs, Wills and Thomas are gone at #11 then take a WR like Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs or maybe Higgins.  Take what the draft gives you and don't reach.  Otherwise, trade back from #11 into the teens or something.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yes that's essentially correct.  Wirfs was equally proficient at LT and RT, but Alaric Jackson pretty much could not play RT.

It's also worth noting that it's not as if Jackson is a nobody.  He's a future pro too.  Could easily be a 1st or 2nd rounder next year if he stays healthy.

• Upvote 1